Palo Brunch - Anyone been lately?

This is what the Palo Manager told us, either an outbreak, or one in the prior few cruises. ( I will tell him, he is wrong then).

Question;- Can you tell me how you know there were no reported issues on the cruises before you? Its not something they are forthcoming about? Even if you read all trip reports here, only 5% of people on a cruise come here, and of them few actually bother making a trip report. Would they know there was an outbreak?

Actually all serious outbreaks are reported to the CDC and you can go on their site and see all the outbreaks on any cruise ship.

It is my experience that they serve you on the 2 newer ships all the time but it varies on the classic ships.

Actually all serious outbreaks are reported to the CDC and you can go on their site and see all the outbreaks on any cruise ship.

It is my experience that they serve you on the 2 newer ships all the time but it varies on the classic ships.

Serious , yes, but when they have a few they kick in the policy, as they do not want to have any outbreaks reported , as that's bad for business. Does anyone really think they would wait until they have to report it to the CDC?. As soon as the ship doctor identifies an issue, it kicks in, to prevent it escalating to that notifiable level.

As said there are a few here who know more than the Palo manager and I bow to their high level of knowledge over his.

Serious , yes, but when they have a few they kick in the policy, as they do not want to have any outbreaks reported , as that's bad for business. Does anyone really think they would wait until they have to report it to the CDC?. As soon as the ship doctor identifies an issue, it kicks in, to prevent it escalating to that notifiable level.

As said there are a few here who know more than the Palo manager and I bow to their high level of knowledge over his.

You can't stand to be wrong. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad that being "right" all of the time on Disney related message board is so important . :sad2: People are sharing their personal experiences just like you always do but for some reason you seem to believe yours are more valid.

Others have been posting that on the Fantasy and the Dream CMs have been serving them in Palo only not Cabanas or any other self serve dining venue. If it was outbreak related as you insist, those places would also be changed to food being served by CMs but they haven't been.

I sailed on the Fantasy in June, and yes, they were serving you on your first "pass", but on subsequent trips, they left you alone but there were still people standing behind the serving tables. Is it possible that this is how they do buffets in Italy?

Regardless of the reasons for them hovering over you (I lean more toward the wastage theory), I didn't care for it. It felt like you were being scrutinized.

Our server was great, the food was really good and the restaurant is beautiful, but I think I'd rather do the Remy brunch next time. You still have people hovering over you, but in a milieu where it is expected and even appreciated.

Last edited:
On the Fantasy in May and they walked us around and then our group just took a plate and did our own without any issue but we did seeing them assisting others. We were on the Magic in July and there was no plate filling by castmembers.

I sailed on the Fantasy in June, and yes, they were serving you on your first "pass", but on subsequent trips, they left you alone but there were still people standing behind the serving tables. Is it possible that this is how they do buffets in Italy?

Regardless of the reasons for them hovering over you (I lean more toward the wastage theory), I didn't care for it. It felt like you were being scrutinized.

Our server was great, the food was really good and the restaurant is beautiful, but I think I'd rather do the Remy brunch next time. You still have people hovering over you, but in a milieu where it is expected and even appreciated.
Great post, but if it's a waste age theory (1) Why not all the ships? (2) All the food out out will be thrown away post Palo closing, so it's just adding to waste.
On the Fantasy in May and they walked us around and then our group just took a plate and did our own without any issue but we did seeing them assisting others. We were on the Magic in July and there was no plate filling by castmembers.
Yes Magic we served ourselves.

It seems the CMs serving only tends to bother some of us repeat palo diners...................I would guess that first time palo diners wouldnt know the difference so they probably dont care one way or another?

Great post, but if it's a waste age theory (1) Why not all the ships? (2) All the food out out will be thrown away post Palo closing, so it's just adding to waste.

I was just expressing an opinion as to which theory in this thread I found more likely. The "outbreak" theory seems even less plausible.

It's down to the outbreaks so one ship the policy maybe on, and another not. The only logical conclusion.
sigh…………...why is this the only logical conclusion? because its your conclusion or am i missing something? have there been these outbreaks you talk about only on the dream and fantasy but never on the magic or wonder? could it be dcl wants the larger ships to appear more fancy? would that be logical?
maybe you know something we don't, once again? please, share.

It seems the CMs serving only tends to bother some of us repeat palo diners...................I would guess that first time palo diners wouldnt know the difference so they probably dont care one way or another?
thats an interesting thought and probably true. never would have crossed my mind but i can see that now.

On the Aug 1-8 Fantasy Eastern itinerary, they were filling the plates for us. I found it awkward at first b/c I wanted to pig out but it was also interesting b/c the server told me a lot of info like how much work goes into the fruit carvings, aging the prosciutto, etc.

Once we were seated, our server would go get us more of whatever we liked. It was fine once we got over the first time going up. I guess it's just different but it was still the best dining experience of the cruise.

And their Tiramisu was hands down the best dessert of our trip.

On the Aug 1-8 Fantasy Eastern itinerary, they were filling the plates for us. I found it awkward at first b/c I wanted to pig out but it was also interesting b/c the server told me a lot of info like how much work goes into the fruit carvings, aging the prosciutto, etc.

Once we were seated, our server would go get us more of whatever we liked. It was fine once we got over the first time going up. I guess it's just different but it was still the best dining experience of the cruise.

And their Tiramisu was hands down the best dessert of our trip.
you must have not had the Palo Chocolate Souffle??? :rotfl2:

When we sailed on the Fantasy, last October, we were served. But the soda machines, and other serve yourself (typically) were a we will serve you the first part of the cruise. By the end of the week we were serving ourselves. Didn't go back to Palo to see if things changed. If they serve me in November I will deal. The thing I didn't like is that they brought 3 big tables, at one time, to try to serve them. If it had been spaced out it would have been a much better experience - and I said something.

I agree this is part of the equation, but even with them serving, we felt a little ill after our server talked us into a pizza and the pear soufflé. I know brunch won't be part of my next trip, and I'm a bit sad to miss it.

I read so many TRs like that I ended up canceling my brunch. (Meaning the 'they had to roll us away from the table' type reports, preceded by pictures of plate after plate after plate of food.) I discovered on my first cruise in June that my appetite on a cruise can be highly unpredictable, and I just can't eat as much as I used to be able to anyway. I like food a lot and would consider myself at least a quasi-foodie, don't get me wrong, but I don't tend to get seriously hungry until later in the day, and I just think the brunch would be wasted on me. Still have Palo dinner reservations though.

if we were traveling without our DD, we might would eat as many meals as would could in Palo and Remy. :)

Outbreak theory doesn't make sense to me. We were able to serve ourselves at Cabanas and Vista Cafe (the little dessert case)...at Palo and Cove Cafe (again, the dessert case) the CMs filled places for us. So DCL thinks there is a higher potential for outbreaks in Palo and Cove Cafe, but Cabanas and Vista Cafe are somehow immune to this? On the same ship? Sorta doubt it.

One thing not mentioned is that there is much more room around the Palo buffet area on the newer ships and that makes it more conducive to having a CM assist the diners. On the older ships there's usually a traffic jam at one or more places in the buffet line even without a few extra bodies walking around.

We sailed on the Fantasy back in July and they were assisting diners at the buffet. They didn't give us an option to do it ourselves and I didn't ask, so who knows if it would have been allowed or not. FWIW, there was no formal or informal discussion of any kind of outbreak, nor were any other protocols evident (Cabanas was self service, there were no restrictions at the drink stations and no additional CMs cleaning there, etc.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter