Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy

I would expect for people to camp out 2-3 hours early for the first few months of the shows premier.
Especially on Main Street as the firework show will happen soon after the parade.

However, on the plus side the parade route is long enough that finding a good spot an hour before shouldn't be to hard.
Or you can just wait for the 2nd show which would have less viewers.

My recommendation for the first show is to watch the 1st parade anywhere, but on Main Street and if you want to see the fireworks on Main Street, you can follow the last float down to Main Street and once you get to your spot you can stop and turn around.

On May 22 DL webcast, I saw people staking spots for the 8:50pm Paint The Night parade at the Town Square/Main Street area around 6pm!
Might be not as crazy as the days go by.
I heard that people where there ALL DAY for the parade.

I started looking at the feeds around 5:30pm and thought oh the parade must be soon and then I looked at the times and it didn't start until 9:30pm. Town Square & Main Street where both full at 5:30pm, a full 4 hours before the parade started.

We will definitely not be camping out for 4 hours to see a parade. Hoping that we can grab a decent spot back in Fantasyland by It's A Small World.

The first day people were camping out basically from when the park opened, which was 14 hours until the parade started. Most of the curbside spot with probably gone by noon along Main Street and in the hub. For the 24 hour event they were not allowing anybody to save space, so technically you had to be in your spot the entire time. but this was a very unique day and that it was at capacity and the first day of everything so nobody cast members or guess really knew what was going on.

Yesterday people were starting to settle down about noon, but not very many. Between two and three is when the curb started to fill up. I'm not sure if people stayed put after sound stational all the way through to paint the night since I headed over to DCA. When I did a walk-through just to see how things were around 630 basically everywhere was full. They were allowing people to save spots though so you did see a few blankets but mostly just sweat shirts and bags taking up space. I expected to stay crazy busy like this for a few weeks if not longer, mostly because SoCal passes are going to be trying to get in before they're blocked for the summer. I fstill expect people to stay after sound to PTN but hopefully it will die down a bit as time passes

Your best firework strategy is to follow the parade down into MainStreet and just stop where you want to be. Prior to the parade because everybody on the curb that once the parade passes they need to move into the street so you'll already be there before people have a chance to move. Just be aware if it's crazy crowded and people push and shove. Immediately after fireworks if you want to watch the second parade grab the curb nearest to you... Don't wait until after the kiss goodnight...people went straight back for a spot

I walked up and found a spot to sit and wait around 7pm yesterday, right in the middle of main street. I was just behind the people sitting on the curb. They made everyone not sitting on the curb stand around 8:15. The area between the rope and the curb filled in completely by around 8:30. I think the parade will remain popular for a long time, if you want to sit and watch it, either wait for the second show or get there about 2-3 hours early.

They did not leave the ropes up between Soundsational and Paint the Night but they are def adjusting to the new crowd control necessary every day.

The area by Small World is actually great for watching the parade, so if you grab that area, you probably won't have to wait as long (but still before Soundsational for the first few months). The fireworks from this area aren't bad either. It's no Main St., but I think the projections were easier to see on the relatively flat facade. CMs are not suppose to let people follow the parade (I spoke with a few who were in charge of this at the 24 hour event and were unable to control the crowds...needless to say they were very frustrated). But, if they decide it's impossible to keep the crowd in position for the fireworks, you'd probably be able to follow the parade up Main Street to get a good spot.

We saw the parade and fireworks from Small World Mall yesterday and you still have to leave a lot of time. There were people camping out on Main Street starting around 11am, planning on watching Soundsational and then staying for Paint the Night (and I would assume fireworks). We walked to Main Street at about 5:30 and it was completely full. We ventured back to IASW area and were able to grab front row seats and there was still plenty of room. However, by about 7pm, it was completely full. We had a great view of the parade and a decent view of the fireworks - we could see the projections on IASW and most of the fireworks.

FWIW, the CMs were warning people back in this area they could NOT follow the last float down to Main Street. They would be detouring people off into Fantasyland or around the Matterhorn into Tomorrowland. They instead suggest we just step out into the center of the walkway as soon as the last float cleared and watch the fireworks from there.

We saw the parade and fireworks from Small World Mall yesterday and you still have to leave a lot of time. There were people camping out on Main Street starting around 11am, planning on watching Soundsational and then staying for Paint the Night (and I would assume fireworks). We walked to Main Street at about 5:30 and it was completely full. We ventured back to IASW area and were able to grab front row seats and there was still plenty of room. However, by about 7pm, it was completely full. We had a great view of the parade and a decent view of the fireworks - we could see the projections on IASW and most of the fireworks.

FWIW, the CMs were warning people back in this area they could NOT follow the last float down to Main Street. They would be detouring people off into Fantasyland or around the Matterhorn into Tomorrowland. They instead suggest we just step out into the center of the walkway as soon as the last float cleared and watch the fireworks from there.

Did they effectively manage to keep people from following the parade? It was a huge mess on Friday night with them all trying to figure out how to keep people from following the parade and they failed miserably, so I'm hoping they're starting to figure it out.

I'm curious to hear after this holiday weekend, how the crowds will be for both Paint the Night parades, particularly the later one at 11:00 PM. I'll be at DL starting June 4th - it's only my second time at DL. I really want to experience this parade and the DL Forever fireworks, but I don't want to give up 3+ hours of park time to hold a place to see the parade and fireworks.

I'll be there Thurs & Fri. Really hoping it's not as crazy this week. We won't get into the park until 4-5pm on Thurs. I'm hoping we won't have to find a seat already. Our 4.5 and 1yr olds won't handle being in one spot that long and we don't like to split up.

We saw Paint the Night on Saturday. We aren't into camping out or waiting a long time so we weren't able to make it to Main Street or in front of the castle before it started. Too crowded and roped off. So we found a spot near small world that I thought turned out great. Got there just a few minutes before it started and it was amazing! The projection on small world blew me away. Could see the fireworks good and when we turned around could see Matterhorn too. If we go back someday, I'd like to see from Main Street but I was perfectly happy with where we saw them :)

We were able to get a great front row viewing spot at 7:15, right in front of IASW on Sunday 5/24!! What made this area even better of viewing location was that the CMs roped off the section around 8PM since the ride was closed for the shows, people were not able to squeeze in last minute, but that also meant we were roped in till after the fireworks...

It was fun to watch the parade come right out of the gate, 8:50 on the nose, no need to wait for it to make it's way down Main Street. It also made it much easier to photograph and since no one was on the other side of the street all the characters were playing to us.

As for the fireworks... it was awesome to be able to view all the projections on to IASW, we still experienced the snow and had a clear view of the Matterhorn.

I highly recommend this area for viewing.

Clear and free View!!!! (no spoilers pics)
DSC06879_zpsanrhw226.jpg

I honestly don't know. We stayed over by IASW to watch the fireworks. I do know getting out after the fireworks was a nightmare. I hope they get that figured out soon!

We were able to get a great front row viewing spot at 7:15, right in front of IASW on Sunday 5/24!! What made this area even better of viewing location was that the CMs roped off the section around 8PM since the ride was closed for the shows, people were not able to squeeze in last minute, but that also meant we were roped in till after the fireworks...

It was fun to watch the parade come right out of the gate, 8:50 on the nose, no need to wait for it to make it's way down Main Street. It also made it much easier to photograph and since no one was on the other side of the street all the characters were playing to us.

As for the fireworks... it was awesome to be able to view all the projections on to IASW, we still experienced the snow and had a clear view of the Matterhorn.

I highly recommend this area for viewing.

Clear and free View!!!! (no spoilers pics)

Were you facing IASW or did you have it behind you?

This has been super helpful. I will be there several days so I think I will do this for one of our nights. PTN followed by fireworks from IASW. Another night, I will skip PTN and focus on fireworks at the Hub.

Last edited:
People started claiming spots in the morning yesterday. I got to the park around 11:30am and people were already sitting in place on Main Street and in the hub. I lucked out with being able to get a spot by It's a Small World around 7:45pm to watch the first parade and the fireworks.

As a local, the parade is the reason I am headed to the park before June but I can't imagine I'll be sitting there from 1130 on.....

I was at the parks again last night and got a great viewing spot right at the hub for the 2nd showing of the parade about a hour before the parade. So for the 2nd parade getting a viewing spot will be much easier. I was behind the row of people that sit for the parade so I had no one in front of my view.

On a crowded May 22nd, people saved their spot 4-5 hours before. I was surprised how rude people got when tried to make a space next to all their blankets and backpacks. One person could be saving a spot for their whole family.
Here's a tip..
For all the people that were sitting a Cast Member came up to us 2 hours before and told us to stand and move forward. This made room for other people to come underneath the ropes. Only the front row on the curb can sit. All rows behind the front row must stand.

I waited 4 1/2 hours but it went by so fast. It was a nice rest.

I was at the parks again last night and got a great viewing spot right at the hub for the 2nd showing of the parade about a hour before the parade. So for the 2nd parade getting a viewing spot will be much easier. I was behind the row of people that sit for the parade so I had no one in front of my view.

Phew, that's a relief! I could see how Main Street would potentially open up once the fireworks end around 9:45 PM, making room for people to then stake out spots and wait for PTN at 11:00 PM. I will have to give that plan a try! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter