Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy

I thought I would share my experience on Wednesday, August 12th and hope it helps someone.
- I had 8:00 dinner reservations a Carnation Café and checked in right at that time. My goal was not to see the first parade from there but to be in position to get a spot on Main Street for the Fireworks. So when they said seating was first available and could not guarantee outside seating I thought I was OK with a table inside. In hindsight this was probably a mistake and I should have waited for however long it took to get an outside table. I had a leisure dinner followed by dessert and coffee. I could hear the parade music but could not see anything. Not knowing how close to the end, at about 9:05 (too soon) I left and used the restroom. At 9:10 the parade was not yet near the end so I went into the candy shop. There were others milling around but no one was allowed to block the door way. I bought some toffee and then hung out near the window where you watch them make candy. At about 9:20 the parade ended in this area and the rope dropped. There was a big crush to get into the street, but I was behind a curbside parade watcher group that did not move. It was just me so I was able to move around them fairly quickly and into the center of the street. I personally would not try this with a stroller. If I had my grandkids, the adults would carry the younger ones through the masses and definitely hold hands with the older ones. I am only 4’ 11” and could only see the top spires of the castle until a 6’+ dad put a girl about 9 years old on his shoulders and blocked even that view. Luckily, it I was able to squeeze forward and to the left so I could at least see the top of the castle again. I could not have done this with a group of people. I did prefer the show from Main Street surrounded by projections on the buildings over the view from the Fantasmic area. I loved seeing the bursts around the castle and its color changes even if it was just the very top part. I could not see castle projections or the Matterhorn from here.

After the fireworks I moved to the curb on the PhotoShop side of the street. The curb itself was full. I probably could have taken a spot behind them but decided to walk up toward IASW. It was slow going as people moving out of the park and those coming in collided at the Tomorrowland entrance. There was lots of front row space as you moved beyond Main Street. I sat/or stood against a wall across from the entrance to Pixie Hollow. It is a fairly narrow area but there was room for people to sit along the street edge, but no one did. It was a great view as long as the people to my right sat or stood against the wall – which they did. I loved, loved, LOVED, the parade.

I would love to hear more details from those who have staked out a spot in The Hub to view PTN and fireworks. We've done the Carnation Café strategy and it worked perfectly except that fireworks were cancelled that night :( (FYI our reservation was at 8:30 and this was more than enough time to eat while watching the parade and be ready to exit to Main Street once the Mickey float went by). We also watched fireworks from IASW but it was on a night that the projections and special effects there weren't working :( so I have no desire to repeat. Finally we've watched from the BB viewing area after Fantasmic! which was awesome. So now I'm ready to stake out a spot early in The Hub to see the castle and Matterhorn. Would love advice on location and timing! :)

We watched the fireworks and PTN last Wednesday and Friday nights. On Wednesday, we had reservations on Carnation Cafe at 8. We were seated inside, and I keep standing up and checking on the status of the parade. My DD ended up getting a chocolate shake to drag our reservation out a bit. Earlier in the day we decided that we wanted to be on the hub in direct line with the Matterhorn and to the right of the castle (just a bit). So at about 9:15 we left CC and headed up Main Street, waited to cross over to the Plaza Inn, walked past ST (until you can actually cross), and then stood by the rocks until the ropes were dropped. All this while NOT trying to see the parade. We wanted to see it for the first time from beginning to end. As soon as the ropes were dropped, off we went, and got the perfect spot. There was a technical difficulty that night because Nemo and Tink were not present. As soon as the fireworks stopped we found a spot on the curb next to where people cross through the hub. On Friday, we just made sure we were by the rocks by 9:20, and stood in the same spot for the fireworks. Tink and Nemo were present for this show. Yeah! Then sat a bit closer to the castle for PTN, but still on the curb of the hub. The fireworks show is AMAZING!

So, you want to see the FW from main street so as to see the projections on the facades is that correct?
We are going next month...1st visit and I still am not sure about where to sit for PTN and FW.
We will be there 4 days, so maybe we should try different vantage points for FW's?
I got BB dining pkg for fantasmic and Carthay circle for WoC.

I saw PTN and fireworks yesterday. Both are insanely amazing! We staked out our spots for the parade at around 5:30 and had perfect spots in the hub, just to the right of the castle so we could see the parade coming down the pathway toward us. Then for the fireworks we stood up and were in the front row of the curb so we could see above all the heads in front of us with the perfect view of the castle and the Matterhorn on our right. Perfect night, with a whoooole lot of waiting. We ended up seeing the second parade by small world which we waited about an hour for. There were lots of spots in that area right up until the parade though.

For people who have seen the fireworks from both main street and by IASW, are the projections the same? I watched both POV's on You Tube and it looks like it, but I thought someone here could confirm.

We'll spend the evening in the parks on 9/17 after we arrive and thought it might be a better chance to catch both the PTN parade and fireworks, but I'm not really a wait for hours kind of person. One hour, yes, four....no.

I saw PTN and fireworks yesterday. Both are insanely amazing! We staked out our spots for the parade at around 5:30 and had perfect spots in the hub, just to the right of the castle so we could see the parade coming down the pathway toward us. Then for the fireworks we stood up and were in the front row of the curb so we could see above all the heads in front of us with the perfect view of the castle and the Matterhorn on our right. Perfect night, with a whoooole lot of waiting. We ended up seeing the second parade by small world which we waited about an hour for. There were lots of spots in that area right up until the parade though.

So you staked out your spot at 5:30 for the 8:50 showing, on a monday? Were there other people setting up then as well? At what point did that area fill up?

Trying to get an idea of exactly where this spot is so I can grab it on 9/12! So, if you walk up the Main Street sidewalk on the right side of the street, you walk all the way down to the central hub. Are you on the Castle side of the street or the central circle part? And is that before it juts off into Tomorrowland/Matterhorn area? Or in-between the two?

So you staked out your spot at 5:30 for the 8:50 showing, on a monday? Were there other people setting up then as well? At what point did that area fill up?

Yes. It was a busy Monday because of D23 and SoCal passes being unblocked. We were definitely not the first people to set up. In fact, we were in the second row of the area we wanted. The front of the curb was already filled. I didn't walk up Main Street so I don't know how filled that area was. We wanted to be in the hub.

Trying to get an idea of exactly where this spot is so I can grab it on 9/12! So, if you walk up the Main Street sidewalk on the right side of the street, you walk all the way down to the central hub. Are you on the Castle side of the street or the central circle part? And is that before it juts off into Tomorrowland/Matterhorn area? Or in-between the two?

Yes, walk down the right side to the hub. You want to be on the central circle. You want to be right in front of the pathway that leads past the Alice bathrooms so you can see straight down it as the parade is coming toward you (this is for the first parade only). The castle should be just to your left and the Matterhorn just to your right. You want to be closer to the castle than where it juts off to Tomorrowland (if coming from Main Street). You should be a little bit to the right of the reserved seating area that is right in the center of the hub.

When the fireworks start, stand up and move just slightly more toward the castle so the tree is not blocking your view. Stand up on the curb but right on the edge so that no one can stand in front of you on your level.

Prepare for a great view! Hope that helps.

My 5 year old DD and I were able to see Fantasmic, the fireworks and the parade this past Sunday night, and I was thrilled with how it worked out. It was just the two of us so I knew that it would be really difficult to stake out a spot on Main Street hours prior to the earlier parade. She also really wanted to see Fantasmic, so I ended up getting fast passes for F! and made sure she got a good afternoon nap.

We got a good spot in the blue fp section for F! at about 8:30. We ended up having to stand for the show (the last time we saw it on a dining package and were able to sit the whole time). She was able to squeeze onto the rail in front of some very kind people so she could see. We were able to stay put for fireworks. Probably not the best view, but it worked for us.

After fireworks, we were able to go to the restroom, and move our legs a little on our way to Main Street. By the time we made it over, the curb spots were pretty well taken. I spotted a small space between a bench and a garbage can, on the curb right across from Coke Corner that was perfect for the two of us.

The parade was beyond amazing and the highlight of our trip. Not only was DD able to stay up for the late parade, she insisted that we follow the parade all the way to IASW, dancing all the way!

What would you say would be the best spot to get good photos of the PTN parade? I will probably try for the second parade (if there is one) and I'm not worried about a good fireworks spot (saw them from the most amazing spot on our last trip). I've seen the parade twice from behind a lot of people, so now I want to try to see it up front and be able to get some good shots of it (I need photos for remembering it - memory issues). I'm thinking maybe a spot where I can see it from the front, as it's heading toward me, and from the side.

What would you say would be the best spot to get good photos of the PTN parade? I will probably try for the second parade (if there is one) and I'm not worried about a good fireworks spot (saw them from the most amazing spot on our last trip). I've seen the parade twice from behind a lot of people, so now I want to try to see it up front and be able to get some good shots of it (I need photos for remembering it - memory issues). I'm thinking maybe a spot where I can see it from the front, as it's heading toward me, and from the side.

For the second parade, try to be by Small World. It's coming toward you from Main Street, and that area is far less crowded than main street and the hub.

We're trying to catch Paint the Night & the fireworks this Saturday (the 29th). We're going to try by It's a Small World to minimize the wait. What are the best spots to catch both the shows, and how early do we need to arrive?

I am that person who will sit on the bench directly in front of the castle for hours for that prime viewing spot. Is that still the best spot? I am a little confused by the whole projections in multiple spots deal.

Edited - after rereading your post I realize that you mean the other end of Main Street right in front of the castle. I'm still going to leave my post here, in case it helps others. Sorry for my confusion, but I would say yes - on a bench in front of the castle would be one of the better locations, if not the best.

I am that person who will sit on the bench directly in front of the castle for hours for that prime viewing spot. Is that still the best spot? I am a little confused by the whole projections in multiple spots deal.
I didn't watch from this exact spot but close. I sat on a bench at the base of the stairs in front of Main Street train station. While waiting for the parade, I talked to 3 different CM on where to move to for watching the fireworks. I got 3 different answers. Right after the last float passed us, I hurried over to where the flag pole is, thinking I could get to Main Street from there. No, that did not work. They had it roped off. I should have walked around the circle. Once in the mass of people and realizing I couldn't get through, I lost valuable time trying to get out and around. I was able to carefully squeeze in behind some strollers at the very end of Main Street. In my opinion, horrible view. I was too short. Couldn't see the castle at all and barely saw the projections (which are projected onto the buildings of Main Street - honestly I thought they were hard to make out because of the texture of the buildings). I could see the fireworks and enjoy the soundtrack but that was about it. Two days later I saw the fireworks from the Fantasmic location and loved it. The projections were shown on the water screens they use during Fantasmic and I could make them out much better. I loved my location for the parade because I could sit on a bench and we were up close. The adults sat on the bench and the kids sat at our feet on the curb. Sooo much more comfortable than sitting on the ground or curb. I grabbed the bench about 2 1/2 hours before the parade. It was so tired from our first day, it was nice to sit for awhile. While waiting my kids got to see Pluto, Goofy and Mickey & Minnie in Town Square. I had other family members be runners and get me some snacks. I'm willing to stake out a spot for awhile but the amount of time required to be close to the castle just wasn't worth it for me. Sitting on the bench by the train station, I had no problem with people crowding us and everyone was polite. We did have people stand behind us but they asked and they didn't squish.

Thanks for those that gave the tip of sitting on the patio of Carnation Café! We had a 7:20 reservation last Wednesday night. We ran late and got there at 7:30. Asked for an outside table and only waited about 10 minutes. We really took our time, ordered fried pickles (yum!) meatloaf, burgers, dessert and coffee. I was afraid they would bum rush us out of there, but to be honest there were empty tables on the patio the whole time we were there! Parade got to our area about 8:15. As others mentioned, you cannot really see the characters walking or when the Cars characters go by. We hightailed it out of there when we saw Mickey, but by then the street was full. We were stuck in front of Carnation Café which was OK. There is a big tree there so it kind of messed up the projections, but it wasn't so bad.

I just read the last couple pages.... So please forgive me if this is covered....

We just want to watch the parade on Friday 11/13 (hopefully they still do PTN during holiday time). We are running the 10k the next morning so we only plan on seeing the parade and then leave. We'll see the fireworks another night. Our plan is to grab dinner to go from Jolly Holiday and take it to a bench on the route somewhere in Town Square. So questions:

The parade loops past City Hall and the train station, correct?
Does the first parade start on Main St or small world?
How early should we stake out a bench? We are okay with waiting and resting and eating! First DL trip without kids in 6 years!
Are there particular benches/angles that make it harder to see the parade?

Thanks in advance!

ETA- Ok- just looked at some pics and realized the benches sit back further than they did in my head. I am guessing the people in front of the benches will stand? Hmmmm..... maybe we will have to curb it :( The people on the curb still sit right? Like if we waited until the curb filled and then went second row after sitting on the bench for a while? How early does the curb fill up in that same Town Square area?

Last edited:
Can you please clarify the CC WOC viewing area. Did you like it or not?
It was fine but I was expecting to be closer. We had secured a spot behind one family and then another family of three pushed their way in front of them. The mom got left behind and no one would let her in (there was not room for the family but they didn't seem to think it was rude to make a space). Eventually, the mom crawled on her hands and knees to get to her family. No one minded that the daughter was there because we could see over her but the father took several people's view away. He then spent the rest of the show looking at the screen of his phone. He should have stayed in the back! Perhaps we should have gotten there a little sooner. Overall, I was disappointed with the location - in fact, I kept thinking we were in the wrong place but I was afraid to leave my spot to find a CM for fear of losing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter