Paint the Night Parade and Disneyland Forever Fireworks Strategy

Carnation Café + Fireworks + 2nd Parade = Great Experience! :-)

Tuesday morning (6/23/15), I made reservations for that night at 8:00 p.m. We got to the park about 6:45 p.m. and Main Street was fairly packed. I think if you were single, or a couple, you could probably find a place, but you could not spread out a blanket on the curb anywhere.

We checked into the Carnation Café at 7:45 and requested a patio table. We were seated almost immediately at a perfect spot to watch the parade even though this was not our plan. We ordered and ate slowly as they were very efficient, but I was trying to time our escape. At one point a waitress came around inviting the guests to stay and watch the parade from their table, she only asked that we remained seated so those in the back could see as well. As it turned out, this is a really good place to watch the parade!

When the 2nd to last float (Frozen) started to pass, the CM’s removed the ropes on the curb – this was our cue to leave! We quickly exited the patio and made our way towards the Castle. I wanted to be on Main Street, but was hoping for a view of the Castle as well. Once the last float (Mickey) passed, it was no problem to move into the street exactly where we wanted to be. Likewise, after the Firework show was over, it was no problem finding a place on the curb and spreading out a towel so that I could sit and my girls could go off for a bit. BTW – they had no problem exiting or coming back to me.

So, the bottom line is that this strategy worked very well and was easy to execute. The food and service were great too! I had the pasta and shrimp and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was our first time eating at Carnation Café, but I can see us doing this again and watching the parade from here instead of curbside.

As everyone has said, the Fireworks show was AMAZING!!! I think this has become my favorite show over F!, WOC, and the Parade (which was also AMAZING). We liked the new WOC, they have some new effects, but you don’t feel you have to see it again like we did with the last one, and now feel about the Fireworks show.

Unfortunately, parents placed their kids on their shoulders, so viewing the Castle was very difficult at best. Thankfully, there is plenty to see on the MS buildings, but I will have to see this show again from all the other places – just as I expect Disney planned for us to do!

Jeri

This is a great idea! I've just changed some of my reservations so that I can do this! Thanks so much!

Aren't there people on the sidewalk in front of the CC patio blocking your view of the parade?

There are people at the curb and they are standing, but the patio for the Carnation Café is situated right where people cross the street and no one can stand there. This does mean that you get just a small window to see the people who are walking in the parade (also impressive to see!), but the floats are all large and easy to see even over people’s heads. I would not have chosen this for my first time (and I didn't), but now that I have experienced both, I will probably do this on purpose for future trips.

This is a great idea! I've just changed some of my reservations so that I can do this! Thanks so much!
I can’t take credit – in fact, I was waiting for rope drop and reading some of the ideas in this thread when I decided to try it! I made my reservation right there in line from my phone. :-)

Carnation Café + Fireworks + 2nd Parade = Great Experience! :-)

Tuesday morning (6/23/15), I made reservations for that night at 8:00 p.m. We got to the park about 6:45 p.m. and Main Street was fairly packed. I think if you were single, or a couple, you could probably find a place, but you could not spread out a blanket on the curb anywhere.

We checked into the Carnation Café at 7:45 and requested a patio table. We were seated almost immediately at a perfect spot to watch the parade even though this was not our plan. We ordered and ate slowly as they were very efficient, but I was trying to time our escape. At one point a waitress came around inviting the guests to stay and watch the parade from their table, she only asked that we remained seated so those in the back could see as well. As it turned out, this is a really good place to watch the parade!

When the 2nd to last float (Frozen) started to pass, the CM’s removed the ropes on the curb – this was our cue to leave! We quickly exited the patio and made our way towards the Castle. I wanted to be on Main Street, but was hoping for a view of the Castle as well. Once the last float (Mickey) passed, it was no problem to move into the street exactly where we wanted to be. Likewise, after the Firework show was over, it was no problem finding a place on the curb and spreading out a towel so that I could sit and my girls could go off for a bit. BTW – they had no problem exiting or coming back to me.

So, the bottom line is that this strategy worked very well and was easy to execute. The food and service were great too! I had the pasta and shrimp and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was our first time eating at Carnation Café, but I can see us doing this again and watching the parade from here instead of curbside.

As everyone has said, the Fireworks show was AMAZING!!! I think this has become my favorite show over F!, WOC, and the Parade (which was also AMAZING). We liked the new WOC, they have some new effects, but you don’t feel you have to see it again like we did with the last one, and now feel about the Fireworks show.

Unfortunately, parents placed their kids on their shoulders, so viewing the Castle was very difficult at best. Thankfully, there is plenty to see on the MS buildings, but I will have to see this show again from all the other places – just as I expect Disney planned for us to do!

Jeri

Thanks SO much, Jeri, for the advice!! I just booked Carnation Cafe for 8/4 trip with my daughter and we are going to try your strategy!! I booked an 8:20 reservation though....I hope that is not too late. We usually show up really early for our dining reservations anyway, so hopefully this will work out for us, too!!

I booked an 8:20 reservation though....I hope that is not too late. We usually show up really early for our dining reservations

8:20 would have worked for us – CC was on time and extremely efficient – very good service and a quick delicious kitchen. This was our first time eating here, so I don’t know if this is their norm or not!

Regardless, if you get their early to check in, you should be in Great shape! This will give you some wiggle room if they are running behind.

Enjoy! :-)

Jeri

I'm going on a Friday and Saturday the last week of August (28th and 29th, I think), so I'm expecting pretty big crowds. We'll probably be doing WoC on Friday, a PtN and fireworks on Saturday. I'm hoping the crowds might die down even a tiny bit, but I'm also not counting on it :headache:

I'm thinking we might try for Small World since it seems to be a little easier to find a spot, and I really don't think my mom will be interest in waiting 3 and 1/2 hours for the fireworks on Main Street. But I guess I'm worried that it won't be as...magical? as seeing the show on the castle. Does anyone who's seen it at both locations have any thoughts?

We will be there those nights too. It will be just my dh and I. My family and I were there in Dec. and two of us found a spot on the curb near the fire station for the night parade. We got our spot about 2 hours before the parade and spots were 3/4 filled on Main Street.

Well after reading everything in this post and stressing over how we'd do this we finally ended up with the following strategy: wing it. And it worked out fabulously.

Wed July 1 after our afternoon break/nap, went to DCA around 5:30, grabbed a Soarin' FP, rode some Paradise Pier rides (walk on, during parade) and had dinner at Garden Grill, then a few more rides, we made our way through the DL gates around 8:40. We were walked through the tunnel to the right of main street and ended up out by Plaza Inn. We walked under some ropes and stood next to a couple of strollers with a great view for the parade- we could see it as it made the bend into the hub. Yes we were standing and were 2 or 3 people back but we saw everything and DH put DD5 on his shoulders (we made sure he wasn't blocking anyone).

Then after the parade went by we walked into the street toward the castle and just before where the CM's have the walkway ropes stopped so we could see the castle ahead and just to the left, with Matterhorn on the right. Absolutely incredible show - seeing projections from both plus the fireworks to boot.

After that we waited a few minutes for crowds to thin when walked down main street and out of the park (carrying DD5 who was exhausted!)

We're home now, I would have liked to go back and see the projections from Small World and Main Street but I'm really happy we saw what we did, and did not spend hours waiting.

Now I'm not saying this will work every night - the CM I spoke with said that night was not very crowded so it may not be do-able on a typical summer night. But it's worth a try if you know you aren't going to want to sit for hours holding a spot.

BTW we also went to the Inside Out Pre-Parade over at DCA on Thursday -we had already seen the Pixar Parade multiple times but had recently seen Inside Out and wanted to see the Pre-Parade. It was scheduled to start at 5 so at 4:55 we found a seat just across from Carthay Circle in front of a garbage can (no one wants to sit there as there is not much space but you can lean against the can - hopefully they hose them down! I didn't smell anything nasty and I have a pretty sensitive nose.) Then after the parade passed through around 5:10pm we were up and out of there. I noticed none of the other garbage cans around us had folks sitting in front of them but as soon as we got up someone else took our spot.

Thanks for the suggestion JeriLee. We also just booked Carnation Cafe for our first night in the park. Decided that way we could watch the parade and FW from IASW later in our trip if we want to (which I am sure we will). We had initially resigned ourselves to spending most of the first day in the park camping out and waiting for the night entertainment, but this way we'll be able to enjoy our day, have a great late (for us) dinner and at least see the fireworks from near the hub where we want to be. :)

On Main Street; near the hub.... Is there a good spot to watch parade and have full view of castle for FWs? And how early do we need to get spot (will 6 pm be ok)

I am a little confused...I don't want any 'spoilers' but are the projections different in these different viewing locations? or are they the same, but projected in various spots? I will be taking my 14 year old daughter and we will have one 1 day in the park. We won't want to kill several hours with waiting...so i will want to try to just wing it a bit and have minimal waiting time. I know we can do the later show for the parade, but i think we will be disappointed if we don't get to see the fireworks in a decent viewing spot. My plan will be IASW area, unless it is completely worth it on main street, i will try to find a way in.

I am a little confused...I don't want any 'spoilers' but are the projections different in these different viewing locations? or are they the same, but projected in various spots? I will be taking my 14 year old daughter and we will have one 1 day in the park. We won't want to kill several hours with waiting...so i will want to try to just wing it a bit and have minimal waiting time. I know we can do the later show for the parade, but i think we will be disappointed if we don't get to see the fireworks in a decent viewing spot. My plan will be IASW area, unless it is completely worth it on main street, i will try to find a way in.
I have not seen the new fireworks from the IASW area, but I have seen them from the middle of Main St., the start of MS near Town Sq, and from the F! viewing area. The projections are generally the same but more immersive from Main St because you are surrounded by them. Also, from the middle of Main St. you can see the castle, Tinker Bell, and Nemo. I have also hear reports from earlier in the summer that the IASW projections were not always working. I would suggest hanging out in the Main St. shops around where you want to be and as soon as the parade is over then you can move into Main St. I've heard that the CMs have caught on to people doing this, but if you look like you're ACTUALLY shopping then I don't think they will kick you out. You may actually be able to catch a bit of the parade too since the CMs seem to be very generous in lifting the ropes and squishing people in the standing areas :)

We were standing on the right side of the hub just before where the CM's block off a walkway for folks to get from Tomorrowland across the hub to Adventureland/Frontierland. We could see the castle to the left of the trees and Matterhorn to the right. We stood between the rope to the left and a stroller on the right so there was no crowd/pushing whatsoever. The projections were not the same - Matterhorn was more of an accompaniment to what we were seeing on the castle. It was a great place to watch. Plus (without giving spoilers) it was nice to see the space between the Castle and Matterhorn too. I have only seen the show there so I can't compare it to Main Street or IASW. Originally my plan was to go to IASW but we ended up winging it and getting to DL around 8:40pm just in time for PTN (2nd row facing the hub to the right) then moved into the street to secure our spot for the fireworks.

To further help with my strategy... In which direction does each parade travel? Early PTN, late PTN and also what about for soundsational? Thanks.

Where at the hub is the VIP section located? Has anyone noticed how early that area fills up?

We saw PTN and the fireworks from two different VIP sections.
One night at the train station and we got there around 8:30 pm and it was almost full.
We also sat in the VIP section between the Partners Statue and the street in front of the castle. Arrived at 8 pm and there was only one other party there, but by 9 pm all benches were full.
My understanding is that they have enough seats for all on the list so as long as you are on the list you should get a seat!
I think there is another VIP section at the hub that is on the other side of the Partners Status (closer to MS). I would not have been happy if I had been seated there as the benches face MS and not the castle!!!
My best guess is if you request fireworks seating you face the castle and if you request PTN viewing you get the other hub seating. Thing is you can view both PTN and fireworks from all VIP sections so if you have a choice I would request fireworks view. That is what we requested and had the castle facing view!
If you will be sitting at the hub closest to the castle you'll want to sit on the benches furthest from the castle as the people in the street will stand and block your view, of a good portion of the projections on the castle and no one in the VIP section is allowed to stand at their bench to see over the standing people in the street. If there is standing room I guess you could stand behind the benches but then you can't enjoy the seating!!!
The VIP section at the train station is nice for a panoramic view of the parade and fireworks but you are far away from the castle and the shops on MS are not a clear view from here and the only part of the Matterhorn you can see is the very top so IMHO this is not the better VIP view.
The VIP section between Partners and the castle is pretty much perfect! Close enough to see the projections clearly and also a perfect view of the Matterhorn. The parade will be to your right and you'll see it coming from the front and also a side view of it and that is ideal!

Have fun!!!!
dsny1mom

One night at the train station and we got there around 8:30 pm and it was almost full.
We also sat in the VIP section between the Partners Statue and the street in front of the castle. Arrived at 8 pm and there was only one other party there, but by 9 pm all benches were full.
My understanding is that they have enough seats for all on the list so as long as you are on the list you should get a seat!
I think there is another VIP section at the hub that is on the other side of the Partners Status (closer to MS). I would not have been happy if I had been seated there as the benches face MS and not the castle!!!
My best guess is if you request fireworks seating you face the castle and if you request PTN viewing you get the other hub seating. Thing is you can view both PTN and fireworks from all VIP sections so if you have a choice I would request fireworks view. That is what we requested and had the castle facing view!
If you will be sitting at the hub closest to the castle you'll want to sit on the benches furthest from the castle as the people in the street will stand and block your view, of a good portion of the projections on the castle and no one in the VIP section is allowed to stand at their bench to see over the standing people in the street. If there is standing room I guess you could stand behind the benches but then you can't enjoy the seating!!!
The VIP section at the train station is nice for a panoramic view of the parade and fireworks but you are far away from the castle and the shops on MS are not a clear view from here and the only part of the Matterhorn you can see is the very top so IMHO this is not the better VIP view.
The VIP section between Partners and the castle is pretty much perfect! Close enough to see the projections clearly and also a perfect view of the Matterhorn. The parade will be to your right and you'll see it coming from the front and also a side view of it and that is ideal!

Have fun!!!!
dsny1mom

Thanks for sharing! And do I have it right that the ways to get VIP seating are a VIP tour, signature suite stay, invited special guest ... ??

We did paint the night last night.Best parade I have ever seen! DH doesn't care much for most parades and he loved it. If you can stay up late, the 2nd parade is definitely the way to go. We saw WOC, then went over to DL. 20 minutes before the parade we grabbed a 2nd row spot near the front of Main Street. There was plenty of room at that point. They come by and have the front row stay seated and the 2nd row stand 5 minutes befor the parade starts and that made for a fantastic view! Fabulous parade with no hassle or long wait!

Have fun!!!!
dsny1mom
Thank you so much! We have fireworks viewing at the hub. Was the parade a clear view from where you were, or were you having to stretch to see over others?

Thanks for sharing! And do I have it right that the ways to get VIP seating are a VIP tour, signature suite stay, invited special guest ... ??

VIP tours and Club 33 members with their guests have access but not sure about signature suite stays, as I have never stayed in one of the new signature suites! The areas do fill up just about every night and my understanding is many nights not all who qualify for the VIP sections can get a seat or even get in the standing room area! With the newness of PTN and the fireworks the VIP section at F! is much easier to get into but unless you get the seats closest to the center of the island the view isn't that great. F! VIP is first come first seated so if anyone is on that list get there early!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter