painful feet

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by tcp0421, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Tink575

Tink575 Mouseketeer

Body Glide is sold in sporting goods stores and looks like solid deodorant. Less is more, don't use so much that your foot skids as it will lead to blisters. It does help.

I think your best bet is to see if you can get orthotic insoles made by your podiatrist, and then insert them in walking shoes that he recommends. Many insurance plans will cover orthotics for various conditions.

Good luck, I have neuropathy and have fractured a bone in my foot and that place is still painful etc. so I can definitely sympathize with your problem.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tcp0421

tcp0421 DIS Veteran

Its hard I am only 36. I have two young girls ages 10 and 7. I can't tell them I'm not going to Disney. We are annual pass holders so I want to get my moneys worth.

4. jimjenkids

jimjenkids Mouseketeer

I too had surgeries in jr high and high school, causing foot/leg pain. I have been diagnosed with RSD and planter facitis(spelling is wrong )....going to Disney made me excited yet sick when thinking of the pain I could feel from it. I have since gone with a mid weight ankle sock(always new for the trip) and for shoes, I like a good Saucony walking shoe(white leather) but have also liked the New Balance walking shoe(if I can get a wide-it allows for some swelling with out having to buy it a size larger)....take the motrin before you go to the parks and every 6 hrs and take a break when you need to ....When at Disney I do end up taking perscription strength.....It is a magical place and I hate complaining-I just want to see the kids having fun.

5. tcp0421

tcp0421 DIS Veteran

That is how I am I don't want to complain I know my girls are having a blast. By the end of the day I am just so miserable though. I have bone spurs removed ( I think they may call them something else now). I know they wanted to do one more surgery on me back in high school but at the time I was just done after already having three surgeries done I didn't want anymore! I took tap and jazz lessons from age 3 until I was 19. Dr said that's what killed my feet. Then along came crocs which I'm guessing now made my feet even worse.

6. ZoZo

ZoZo DIS Veteran

I agree - you should see a podiatrist, because it sounds like you do have a severe problem. There are many things that can go wrong with feet (speaking as someone who just had achilles tendon and heel surgery ten days ago!). Only a real foot doctor can diagnose your problem and suggest the appropriate solution.

You'll get tons of different opinions on a chat board, depending on the poster's personal experiences, but it's not the best place to get what amounts to medical advice for a significant issue.

7. Unca_Scrooge

Unca_Scrooge I'm not an Uncle but I am a Scrooge.

You want some Teva sandals.
    They are not "flip-flops" nor that molded rubber croc crap.

8. tcp0421

tcp0421 DIS Veteran

What was wrong with your foot? I'm sorry you must be in a ton of pain. I remember how painful it was to get my feet operated on.

9. princessallegra

princessallegra They call me Mrs. Disney

Bigger shoes will not a blister make. They will help. Also making sure you're using a wicking compression sock will help keep blisters and swelling away. After a long day in the parks pour a couple of buckets of ice into your tub, add some water and ice your feet. And see a doctor asap, every day you wait to see a doctor is a day you have more feet problems.

10. tcp0421

tcp0421 DIS Veteran

I get blisters just walking for just a little while.

11. ZoZo

ZoZo DIS Veteran

Thanks for asking! Achilles' tendon repair and removal of a big bone spur on the back of my heel. Luckily I'm having a good recovery and only had to take pain meds for four days, so I'm doing well now. Just can't put any weight on my foot for four weeks post-surgery. Thank goodness for those great little "knee scooters" - much easier than crutches. And I'm enjoying my thee weeks off from work!

Happy holidays!

12. Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre Jane Eyre

I have foot problems too. Now I budget ahead of my trip so I can rent an ECV (motorized scooter) at WDW. It is SO WORTH IT! Especially at Epcot, which is huge. I enjoy my trips so much more because I am not in pain by the end of the day. Cost at WDW is $50 per day, but you can rent cheaper ones at several scooter stores in Lake Buena Vista or Kissimmee, etc. They deliver to your hotel and each scooter fits in the trunk of a car (has to be partially disassembled then re-assembled at the park, but not too difficult especially if you have a friend help you). I can't recommend this enough! For me it is the only way to go. I park my ECV outside each ride and walk in, but you can ride the ECV into many of the rides and attractions. By the end of the day I am not in pain and not exhausted like I used to be. I enjoy the parks so much more. Try it! :yay:

13. deebeck

deebeck Earning My Ears

I have been putting off going to podiatrist... but I def. have great shoes to help me...

sneakers - saucony's (they have great cushion and wide front with air holes throughout)

Ugg sandals - these are by far my most comfortable. You can probably get them online or I bought my at local shore surf shop.... It's like walking on air... when I walk, I'm always saying to myself.... ahhhhhhhh and your toes are free.

Born or B.O.C. shoes... these are my go to if you need a closed toe shoe (but sandals are also comfy)

good luck!
    d

14. pampam

pampam DIS Veteran

I too had planter fasciitis. While waiting for an appointment with a chiropodist, I did exercises recommended by my doctor for the planter fasciitis. By the time my appointment came my planter fasciitis was 80% better. I saw the chiropodist, and she gave me more exercises to do. She also recommended new balance running shoes, but I never did get them. Instead I do my exercises, if my feet start giving me problems. She also looked at my shoes, and like my crocs for the cushioning they gave my feet.

15. SA mom

SA mom DIS Veteran

Go to the doctor. Maybe you've developed adhesions as a result of prior surgeries. There is the possibility that much of your pain could be eliminated.

Is there anyway you can break up your days so that you can get off your feet for a few hours and soak them in cold water to easy swelling and inflammation? Anyway to do half days?

What about a really good sport sandal, like a Keen, Teva, or Chaco?

16. tcp0421

tcp0421 DIS Veteran

OK today I am going to make an appointment with a dr. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks everyone for all the input.

17. MHSweb79

MHSweb79 DIS Veteran

I have custom-made orthotics that I got way back in 1986 (and I think they cost me $600 even back then!) I wear them in my well-broken in sneakers at Disney, and I alternate them with fake Fit-Flops from KMart (the real FitFlops were way too narrow for my feet).

Between the orthotics, the good support of the fake Fit Flops and the alternating of shoes, I've managed to keep my feet fairly happy on our trips to WDW. I have also found that my feet hurt a lot less when we rent a car over taking WDW transportation. My theory is that my feet can handle walking, but standing at the bus stop puts more stress on them.

18. Luv2CtheMouse

Luv2CtheMouse DIS Veteran

different people have different experiences with different shoes. it is really going to be what is best for your foot shape and body shape. your question should truly be directed to your dr or a podiatrist. you may need special inserts for support.