Packing a Portable Fan

Disneylvr

Always Disney Dreaming!
I know you can request a box fan at the resorts but I have a very late night arrival on my first day. I need white noise and circulating air to sleep. I will be at POP. I have a small fan that I normally take on driving trips but I am thinking about packing it in my checked baggage. Has anyone done this? I am certain TSA will search that bag but they wouldn't confiscate it would they? Would it be better in a carry on bag?

Yes, I pack my vornado in a large suitcase along with my Mini Keurig. I fly southwest so it is free to take the extra bag.

FYI... Last time I requested a box fan they told me it wasn't something they normally provide. They did end up allowing me to borrow one that was marked "maintenance". I'd bring your own for sure. I bought a mini box fan, about 15" square, and pack it in my suitcase now. Can't sleep without that white noise!

This thread makes me happy - I bring a portable fan with me in all my travels because I, too need it for white noise and just some air circulation in my room. Everyone calls me crazy, but it seems there are others with me. :D

I'm not the only person who travels with a fan! It drives my husband crazy!!! I bring mine from home because it has the right sound and fan speed for the perfect nights sleep. I've tried buying one and returning it when on vacation. Nope. Need my box fan from home.

For this upcoming trip, I am going to try and pack my crockpot. I am going for 2 weeks and this will save a lot of time and money.

For this upcoming trip, I am going to try and pack my crockpot. I am going for 2 weeks and this will save a lot of time and money.
I love me some crockpot, but that is taking the love to a whole new level. I applaud your commitment! :lovestruc

There are many white noise apps on smart phones. You may find a fan sound you like and not have to pack an actual fan.

Hm, I hadn't thought about this, but I'll have to keep it in mind when I go next time.. my husband can't sleep without white noise, and to be honest after being on a ship where it's never very quiet, I don't know if I can sleep without noise anymore either. :)

There are many white noise apps on smart phones. You may find a fan sound you like and not have to pack an actual fan.

At the moderates, my white noise app works fine because there is also a ceiling fan. I need the noise but also the circulating air. I am staying at at value with no ceiling fan this next trip which is why I would like to bring a portable fan.

I also bring a small fan on my trips. On my last trip I just brought a small white noise machine and it worked well.

For those of you that pack a fan can you tell me what kind and what size you bring?

Last edited:
Wow I thought I was the only one who needed a fan. Lol. Now if someone has any tips on how to be able to sleep without a ton of pillows like I normally do please let me know. I will have room for one pillow only in my case

Wow I thought I was the only one who needed a fan. Lol. Now if someone has any tips on how to be able to sleep without a ton of pillows like I normally do please let me know. I will have room for one pillow only in my case
If you don't do it already use a space bag vacuum bag to pack your pillow. I need a body pillow for my back, so always vacuum pack one for travel when I'm not driving. You might even be able to fit two ;)

If you don't do it already use a space bag vacuum bag to pack your pillow. I need a body pillow for my back, so always vacuum pack one for travel when I'm not driving. You might even be able to fit two ;)
Wow thanks I never thought of that. I will definitely give that a try. How much thickness does the pillow have once you vacuum seal it?
too use a big body pillow, another pillow on my other side, one under my feet I know it's crazy but it's very comfortable that way. I guess I will have to improvise somehow

Wow thanks I never thought of that. I will definitely give that a try. How much thickness does the pillow have once you vacuum seal it?
too use a big body pillow, another pillow on my other side, one under my feet I know it's crazy but it's very comfortable that way. I guess I will have to improvise somehow
The regular pillow might be an inch thick, the body pillow needs to be folded in half, so comes out less thick than a regular pillow once vacuumed.

I also travel with spare vacuum bags and pack all my clothes in for the return trip so there's room for souvenirs. Often I'll buy a cheap body pillow to take with me and then leave it behind.

It's not crazy at all. If you have back issues (or are trying to prevent them), then it makes perfect sense to keep your posture correct while sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter