Pack groceries for Disney trip in check in luggage?

momsavealot

DIS Veteran
Hi! We're flying and we each still get one bag FREE to check in which means 6 bags for my crew. I was thinking of packing one with food for our room to save money while in Disney. Has anyone done that? and if so, what do you pack?

There was a pretty good thread on this awhile back. I plan on doing the same. Alot of people packed what you'd expect, dry goods, etc, but the surprising thing, to me, was freezing yogurt and packing it in a little cooler bag with other cold things like string chese. I didn't know yogurt would freeze well..I plan on doing this. Also bringing PB&J for my DH who eats it every day. Also, some people were saying they packed bread in aplastic container to avoid smooshing..will also bring Spam, and snack type things, a small griddle, etc. We hope to have breakfast in our room (OKW) some days and maybe a lunch or dinner or two.

We're also doing this. We get 2 free bags each (4 of us). We're going to get a sturdy box and use that for 1 of the checked bags - I'll put canned goods, spaghetti, snacks, breakfast foods, etc in it. I'll make sure it doesn't end up weighing more than we can carry (I think the airline says 50lbs, which is more than I want to carry anyway). If need be, we'll do 2 boxes of food. Nothing perishable like milk - we'll order that down there and get it delivered with water, fruit, etc. We have a full kitchen down there and with 2 small kids (4mo and 3 yrs) and my mom going, we figured on eating in once a day in addition to breakfast most days. We can take snacks into the parks with us.

I didn't want to pack suitcases because I don't want to drag them back. With the boxes, I can just trash them down there and have less to bring home. We never end up with as many suitcases as we can have - the kids will share one and DH and I usually share one. With laundry in our room as well, we're not worried about packing too many clothes - I'd rather have the food! lol

we always pack extra food in our bags. We fly Southwest and thankfully, they still allow two checked bags per person. I pack things like Fiber One bars, pop tarts, granola bars, trail mix, cookies, crackers, fruit that won't squish easily, (usually apples, maybe bananas if they are really green), cereal, and the last time because we didn't have a fridge, I bought shelf stable milk in juice box type boxes, I wrapped them in a towel, then in a gallon size ziploc bag in case the leaked, but they were fine. I put anything that might get crushed or crumbly in a plastic shoe box. Everything goes in to a duffle bag to be checked.

I have Brita filter bottles, so we use those instead of ordering a case of water, and we also buy the refillable mugs when we get there so there are options for something other than water to drink.

We did this once. It was great!

My suitacse was soft-sided, so I used sturdy cardboard to strengthen and support it all around. Cut pieces to fit top & bottom.

I bent the cardboard so that one piece wrapped up the front and back sides, and one went up the ends so that the top or bottom couldn't get pushed in.

So each was shaped like a square cornered U.

Worked like a charm!

I packed everything imaginable as long as it was non-perishable.

Any liquid-like substance went in a ziploc for safety in case of leaks.

We had all the food we needed and it saved a trip out into town to Wally-world.

Not food related, but another thing I am always sure to pack is small ziplocs with one load worth of powdered laundry soap. Prices for it @ WDW are crazy.

Wow! These are great tips! I definitely like the idea of using a box rather than a suitcase so I don't have to check it in on the way back. Never would have thought of that! I plan on bringing pop tarts, juice boxes, frozen yogurt sticks and lots of munchies so we have something in the room at all times. And of course, coffee!

My suitacse was soft-sided, so I used sturdy cardboard to strengthen and support it all around. Cut pieces to fit top & bottom.

I bent the cardboard so that one piece wrapped up the front and back sides, and one went up the ends so that the top or bottom couldn't get pushed in.

Worked like a charm!

Not food related, but another thing I am always sure to pack is small ziplocs with one load worth of powdered laundry soap. Prices for it @ WDW are crazy.

Ditto that! Ziplock bags are the best! Great for bringing snacks into the park, taking leftovers back to the resort, sticking wet bathing suits in, so suntan lotion won't leak, etc. etc. Now that they make huge Ziplocs, I can put some of my food in there that might leak. Don't want luggage people opening my box!!!

another thing you could do if you don't want to use a box or check an empty suitcase on the way back....if you have nesting luggage, you could fill one with food items for the trip down, then on the way back nest the smaller one (filled with your clothing) inside the larger empty bag.

We have brought boxes of cereal, granola bars, of course lots of candy, peanut butter and jelly (jelly goes in a big ziplock "just in case"), fruit snacks and juice pouches (like Capri Sun, also wrapped in plastic). We do, however, make the stop for bread, lunchmeat, milk, and soda. I'm all about saving where I can. And in case anyone read the coupon thread, yes, the coupon box comes along as well! :lmao:

another thing you could do if you don't want to use a box or check an empty suitcase on the way back....if you have nesting luggage, you could fill one with food items for the trip down, then on the way back nest the smaller one (filled with your clothing) inside the larger empty bag.

Or you could use the "extra" suitcase for all the Disney souvenirs you buy---you know you want to!

We do the same as others have mentioned. We have 4 bags allowed (4 travelers), but 2 of them are children. So we pack 1 bag for them to share and use the spare large duffel for food. We plan to eat one counter service per day and eat breakfast and one meal in our room (we're usually in a 1 bedroom, so we have a kitchen). I pack cereal, pop tarts, granola bars, bread, hamburger buns & english muffins in plastic shoe box, peanut butter, jelly, mac & cheese, pasta, sauce, fruit snacks, frozen deli meat and cheese in a collapsible cooler, juice boxes, bottled water. We diet coke cans, milk and fruits once we arrive. Since doing this, we have saved a lot of money on food while at Disney!

Worked like a charm!

yup...ziplocs are your friend haha! I bring down tons of extra ziplocs when we go to. Pack snacks in them, sun block, an extra one to put camera and phone in for wet riddes (Kali anyone??)

Also, I don't usually use powdered detergent, but I do bring really small bottles of All concentrated laundry detergent (found at Target in the travel section for $1) to do laundry. Each bottle does two loads...I had some coupons a while back for $1 any size All, so I got a bunch of them for free!

I bring a couple fabric softener sheets too and a roll of quarters. I always seem to do a load (or 4 :rolleyes:)of laundry while we're there :upsidedow

Or you could use the "extra" suitcase for all the Disney souvenirs you buy---you know you want to!

ooooh....good idea!! I am going to be in WDW for my b'day this trip so I am going to get my Birthday Gift Card (instead of the one day pass). $75 to do souvenir shopping!! :woohoo:

Hi there, we were in DL in may for 10 amazing nights....We are a family of 5, with 3 teenagers....We packed a large suitcase full of food-granola bars, fruit snacks, fruit cups, etc....Returning home it was full from everything we bought...with 3 teenagers and packing lots of snacks, it meant we could do some good shopping!!! :cool1:

Walmart sells these great duffel bags that fold and zip flat when you're not using it. They come in two sizes. I always take it with me in case I buy too much stuff or just can't get everything folded back flat(who wants to fold dirty clothes). They are in the travel section. You could take it full, and fold it up if you didn't need it on the way back home.

We pack food all the time when flying to WDW. Word of advice if taking canned goods your suitcase will most likely be searched. We took a can one trip and our bag was searched. I guess the cans set off the detectors. We use hard plastic containers for anything we don't want smashed or broken.

We pack food all the time when flying to WDW. Word of advice if taking canned goods your suitcase will most likely be searched. We took a can one trip and our bag was searched. I guess the cans set off the detectors. We use hard plastic containers for anything we don't want smashed or broken.

Thanks for the warning!!! I'm going to start making my list of food to bring now.

I, also, have used an extra bag as a "goody" bag- however, I'm confused??? I fly often, and have never been able to get peanut butter, parmalat milk, canned goods (anything but dry goods) without being searched and removed from my bags. I have flown spirit and airtran and delta. maybe because I don't "check" bags- I only use carry-on.How is it that it works for others here?:rolleyes:

I, also, have used an extra bag as a "goody" bag- however, I'm confused??? I fly often, and have never been able to get peanut butter, parmalat milk, canned goods (anything but dry goods) without being searched and removed from my bags. I have flown spirit and airtran and delta. maybe because I don't "check" bags- I only use carry-on.How is it that it works for others here?:rolleyes:

we put all our food items in our checked luggage

We only put these items in a checked bag.

If you put them in your carry-on, you will be searched.

OP stated she was checking bags, so I think most of us are responding to that scenario.

I also take a backpack with snacks for the flight. But I am certain to only pack "safe" items in it.

We use, yes, ziplocs :thumbsup2, to put together snack baggies for everyone. That way, we all have our chosen favorites for on the flight, and I just pass out the bags to the appropriate person!

We also take empty water bottles thru the security check, then find a snack counter on the other side and get them filled w/water for on the flight.

I refuse to pay the inflated in-flight snack/drink prices.

Call me cheap, but I have better ways of spending the $$ my DH works so hard to earn!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter