Oz

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rag10576, Mar 10, 2013.

1. donald...really

donald...really <font color=cc0099>Gotta watch out for closed mind

With the mixed reviews we almost didn't see it, but there was nothing else we wanted to see so we went. I really liked it! REALLY liked it! Of course it was beautiful, but I also liked the story and the message. I have been recommending it. :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. diskids2

diskids2 <font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag

I saw it yesterday....sold out show Sunday at 5 pm. I agree costumes, scenery, all great. Acting not so great...not awful...but not great. I liked how they explained a "pre'OZ" world. I though the beginning was slow, but my DD, 22 loved the beginning.

It may inspire me to actually read the book.

4. diskids2

diskids2 <font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag

LOL! I thought the same thing when he was coming down the river in the hot air balloon basket.

5. pellegirl

pellegirl Mouseketeer

My husband and I saw it yesterday. I agree about the beginning being slow but necessary. Not a huge James Franco fan so I was so so about him. I thought the visuals were amazing but it got cheesy at the end for me. Loved Finley and China girl.

6. Bewitch324

Bewitch324 DIS Veteran

I was disappointed...I didn't really like James Franco's performance. I thought Mila Kunis' and Michelle Williams' performances were a bit cartoonish, I don't know, I just felt like everyone was over acting or something.

I loved the China doll and Finley, and of course there were amazing effects. Visually it was beautiful...although some of the 3D was too "trick" heavy for me and I found myself getting annoyed with that.

I just think James Franco's character (perhaps his performance of the character?) was just too unlikable and I never really bought into it for that reason I think.

Maybe I expected too much, I really wanted to love it. I loved the original Wizard of Oz so much and I really wanted this to be a big hit and wonderful.

Brooke

7. pilferk

pilferk <font color=red>Jambo Wildbunch Gang<br><font colo

We went to see it yesterday, in 3d.

We really enjoyed it. Scenery, effects, and costuming were really well done. The score is amazing. We really enjoyed the foley effects (both the ones that were obvious, by making them part of the story, and the not so obvious ones). Finley, China Girl, and (IMHO) Nook really stole the show. I really did like the story and thought it was well thought out and well executed. I liked the direction they went in with Kunis character, too.

The acting was a little...broad (as in, overdone). And not just by Franco (where I could see it being part of his character). The dialogue was a bit schmaltzy, IMHO. I could have done without Kunis spending 1/2 the movie as, basically, a CGI character.

But all that is certainly nitpicking. It was a very good popcorn flick, our 3 kids loved it, and my wife and I enjoyed it, too.

8. DRDISNEYMD

DRDISNEYMD *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A gi

~I thought Oz was "great", but it could have been epic with a better cast. I love Mila, but not as the wicked witch -- this was a poor casting decision, same with the wizard. We saw the film in E3 3D, which is like IMAX -- the visuals were stunning & breathtakingly beautiful! The theater was sold out, too! I was surprised that the box office numbers weren't higher.

9. DRDISNEYMD

DRDISNEYMD *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A gi

~I think this is a sign of things to come! Epcot's Future World could use the Land of OZ to break away from the "impossible to keep up with" futuristic theme! I think something timeless like Oz would be a much better fit. We'll see! :goodvibes

10. jacksgirl

jacksgirl Mouseketeer

I would LOVE a Land of Oz theme for Future World.

11. bigmamimia

bigmamimia Mouseketeer

I refuse to read reviews before I see movies because I like to form my own opinions. I thought this movie was so terrible. I did look at online reviews after and found this one that sums up exactly how I felt.
    The Man (Not Yet) Behind the Curtain
    "Franco fares badly when he's forced to hold conversations with characters who aren't really there: He looks as bored and distracted as he did when he hosted the Oscars, and he relies too much on a wide grin that makes him look manic instead of charming (imagine what Robert Downey Jr. could have done with this role). Things don't get any better when Oscar meets actual people, either. Mila Kunis (as a gentle witch), Rachel Weisz (as her conniving sister) and Michelle Williams (as Glinda the Good Witch) are all talented actresses, but they come off as disengaged as Franco, because most of the film was shot on green screen, and the leading man doesn't give them much to work with (Williams, who plays Glinda as a passive, soft-spoken willow of a woman, fares particularly badly)." — Rene Rodriguez, Miami Herald

12. tigmickey

tigmickey Mouseketeer

Loved it!! While it is not perfect it was done very well. I thought that Franco did a good job.

Did anyone notice that the "town square" in the Emerald City could have been world showcase lagoon? Large torches going out around the perimeter, the giant ball of fire in the middle and fireworks shooting from the outside in?

Just me?:)

13. RustManFan

RustManFan devoted to all things Disney!! Moderator

my DS and I went on Tuesday and we loved it. Not Wreck-It Ralph or Brave loved it but it was good!!

14. John Paul

John Paul 42 Wallaby Way

My family liked it very much and we did see it in 3D

15. richmo

richmo DIS Veteran

I seriously doubt that. It looks pretty temporary to me and very much for the festival.

16. spidet1964

spidet1964 Mouseketeer

Though visually beautiful this was the worse piece of Garbage Ive seen. No story line to speek of. The best part of the mivue was Theodora's lipstick.

17. kaylasmom07

kaylasmom07 DIS Veteran

I saw this with my husband a couple nights ago. It did exceed my expectations all though I wasn't expecting much. I thought there were great visual effects, but the story line and some of the acting was lacking. It did keep me interested. I never saw the old movie so it was all new to me, and I love the wizard of oz and wicked so I am already a fan. I'd give it a solid B. Saw it in 3d and didn't think it was worth the extra money. The 3d effects weren't that great IMO.

18. softballmom3

softballmom3 DIS Veteran

One of my dd's and myself went to watch it tonight. I had really been wanting to see it.

Overall, ehh...it was ok. Not great but not awful either. I'm not particularly a James Franco fan but thought he was ok.

I believe with a much better cast it would have been much better LOL.

It was a disappointment :(.

19. jperrot1

jperrot1 Fantasmic

Great movie.

20. krissy111078

krissy111078 Earning My Ears

It was a good movie in and of itself. However having read both the Wizard of Oz and the Wicked books, I just couldn't get past the differences enough to fully enjoy it. I would have loved to have seen more of a collaboration of the two versions of the story made into a movie.

21. Groovee

Groovee DIS Veteran

Dd, myself and my mum went last week to see it in IMAX. It was super. I kept dodging the pieces of wood and things which made me think this is proper 3D.

I don't think I could ever watch what they call 3D again. It was like the apple pie in the Muppets 3D at HS.

I really loved the back story, like Wicked, it was nice to see it from another perspective.