Overall why not to become a travel agent

manning

Just for that I have requested it
Once upon a time — about two decades ago — it was considered a rite of passage to walk into a travel agent’s office, flip through some glossy brochures, and talk to an agent about all the exotic places you could visit. Today, most people just check travel websites like Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz or Jetsetter. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 12% decline in travel agents from 73,000 in 2012 to 64,400 in 2022; to put that in context, the average growth rate for all occupations is 11%, and it’s down from 105,300 in 2008. Job prospects should be best for travel agents who specialize in specific destinations or groups with special interests or agents for corporate travelers.

In 1995 I took a travel agent course. That was the year one of the major airlines introduced internet booking. Back thn I saw the writing on the wall and did not become one.

Once upon a time — about two decades ago — it was considered a rite of passage to walk into a travel agent’s office, flip through some glossy brochures, and talk to an agent about all the exotic places you could visit.

I'm 53 and I've never done that. I guess the closest thing to it, is looking through travel magazines.

The only time I stepped foot into a travel agency was to book flights for my honeymoon (1988). We were staying at timeshare rental in Arizona.

I use a travel agent for Disney, because I do not want the hassle of searching for discount codes. My Disney travel agent has become a friend, and I like supporting her business. I also used a travel agent for my trip to India because that is a challenging place to navigate independently. Other than those two destinations, I book all my own travel.

It seems like the best opportunities for travel agents are in niche markets, such as Disney, or country specific and regional destinations.

I use a travel agent for all my trips. Makes life so much easier on me. And I think she does well for herself.

With travel being so unique to the traveller, a travel agent eventually becomes obsolete.

When I go to Disney, I stay with friends, so I don't need to search for a lot of stuff. All I need from a travel agent are plane tickets and park tickets. And while I've used an agent a few times, because he is a friend, I usually don't use one.

The last time I used the agent, when I got to the gate, the confirmation code he gave me wasn't the one that Disney needed, and I had to spend an extra hour getting my four day tickets sorted out.

So unless I'm travelling somewhere where I don't have friends, and I need a real "tour", I don't see myself using a travel agent.

Quite frankly, I would love to be a travel agent. My niche would be travel to Italy and France mainly, as my mother was born there and we travel to Europe about twice a year. There was even a time a couple of years ago, when we seriously decided that I give it a try. What I would specialize in is more "local and authentic" experiences, like staying at farm to table agriturismos and local hotels and visiting towns off the beaten bath. In other words, if you want to stay at a Marriott and are afraid to rent a car no matter what, I probably can't help you.

I think I have determined that it is a lot of work for probably not a lot of pay. For the type of planning I would do, I would probably charge an hourly consulting fee. It would be more of a do it yourself trip (but with a lot of support).

Unfortunately, I think I should keep my day job and travel when I want.

Quite frankly, I would love to be a travel agent. My niche would be travel to Italy and France mainly, as my mother was born there and we travel to Europe about twice a year. There was even a time a couple of years ago, when we seriously decided that I give it a try. What I would specialize in is more "local and authentic" experiences, like staying at farm to table agriturismos and local hotels and visiting towns off the beaten bath. In other words, if you want to stay at a Marriott and are afraid to rent a car no matter what, I probably can't help you.

I think I have determined that it is a lot of work for probably not a lot of pay. For the type of planning I would do, I would probably charge an hourly consulting fee. It would be more of a do it yourself trip (but with a lot of support).

Unfortunately, I think I should keep my day job and travel when I want.

I live in France, and I can throw a rock from my apartment and hit about 5 different agencies, and two specialize in exactly what you're describing. They are a huge deal over here. Internet use is also not as big here as it is in the US.

If nothing else, there will always be a need for corporate travel agents. Aside from that, I still don't think the profession will go extinct. There will always be people who don't want to hassle with doing it on their own. I have a degree in travel & tourism, and even though I like to do most stuff on my own, I would use an agent for foreign travel at the very least.

It's a guess, based on the fact that more and more people, especially in the United States, do their own travel booking online.

Well you stated it like it was a fact, which it is not. And do you know how many more people are doing their travel booking themselves? I still know lots of travel agents with lots of bookings... so there is definitely still a need for them.

I live in France, and I can throw a rock from my apartment and hit about 5 different agencies, and two specialize in exactly what you're describing. They are a huge deal over here. Internet use is also not as big here as it is in the US.

I think it could be interesting as I would encourage people to get off the beaten path, avoid too "touristy" of places. I mean I know people like to vacation differently, but sometimes I hear what people missed out on while on European vacations and it makes me sad.

My husband is a dual citizen and I am in the process of applying as well. We would love to live overseas for a few years and this is something I would dabble in. It would be a couple of years early in our retirement.

We have used travel agents for major trips, like when we went to the UK in 2000. We had never been out of the country and felt like we needed the support she could provide. Our travel agent was worth her weight in gold!

We used a travel agent who specialized in cruises when we went on our first cruise, in 2010. There again, we didn't feel at all comfortable with making the arrangements, so we left the details to her. Last year, we booked a cruise, to Alaska, through our travel agent. That worked out very well, especially went we had to cancel because of DHs health. She helped us get every penny back!

Now that we've been on some major vacations I feel much more competent to plan them. This year I have planned and booked a vacation to DC & VA and a 2016 cruise to the eastern Caribbean ,all by myself!

Nothing could be further from the truth. Your "facts" are incorrect.

Well you stated it like it was a fact, which it is not. And do you know how many more people are doing their travel booking themselves? I still know lots of travel agents with lots of bookings... so there is definitely still a need for them.

OK, so 10 years is an exaggeration. But look at what manning said in the first post:

The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 12% decline in travel agents from 73,000 in 2012 to 64,400 in 2022; to put that in context, the average growth rate for all occupations is 11%, and it’s down from 105,300 in 2008

If booking travel for other people is something you absolutely love, then go for it, by all means. But from a purely pragmatic view, it's not a growing industry in my country. Look at the numbers: you can see it's becoming less necessary in the United States.

It is merely a prediction, it does not make it so. The biggest segment of the country using Travel Agents are in fact Millenials because they are so overwhelmed with information.

We have always used a TA for our international land vacations and cruises. While I have no problems with doing everything myself for North American trips, my TA has been invaluable when planning and booking trips involving multi stay travels in countries I'm unfamiliar with. I don't see that changing. I've got an appointment booked for next week to go over our itinerary for our 3 weeks in New Zealand next winter.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Your "facts" are incorrect.
:thumbsup2

OK, so 10 years is an exaggeration. But look at what manning said in the first post:

If booking travel for other people is something you absolutely love, then go for it, by all means. But from a purely pragmatic view, it's not a growing industry in my country. Look at the numbers: you can see it's becoming less necessary in the United States.

Actually FD and manning,
Those figures, as with many figures are not the whole story.

Statistics are showing that age and income play a factor on whether one books through discount on line travelers also.

Seniors such as myself are now becoming a big segment of the population and they are also becoming a big spending segment. we have the cash to spend. ( I love all those reports about how we are two steps from starving when we retire. LOL) so the majority of seniors still use a TA because we want the luxury and the service that comes with it.

Luxury travel is one of the specialties that is booming.

A young family with kids who are going to disney is looking for the perks etc etc. A retired couple without kids is looking for concierge, we want the tours, the adr's made for us etc etc.

Also now that the economy is bouncing back and finally, finally the dollar is looking good. European travel is becoming popular.

While many while use on line sites for local (as in the US) bbecausethe fell relatively knowledgable, TA;s are still popular for folks who are travelling to Europe. Outside of going to Paris (and only because I've been a number of times )I absolutely use a TA for European travel.

I leave tomorrow for a Cruise on RC "oasis of the seas" :dancer: I used a travel agent

We have used a TA before in the past and it was nice except only the TA can make adjustments for your vacation, not you.

Just doing a quick search and there are some conflicting information. One source says they expect a 10% increase in TA over the next decade. However, there has been a 33% decrease in TA in the last decade. In the UK in 2011 7 out of 10 people who booked a holiday did it on their own.
It is safe to say, more people book their own vacations than they did even a decade ago but I don't think the TA will become extinct and there is still a need for them. They do know about many places that the avg. Joe may not but now there are so many bloggers and travel forums that this information can be found out in a matter of hours if not days and may not have the need for a TA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter