Our Very First Time To WDW!!! -- Oct 2015 PTR -- Update 5/23: Disney Memories

bunnyboo

Mouseketeer
Intro/Who's Going?

Me - Hi everyone, I'm Ruby and going to WDW has been a dream of mine ever since I discovered that there was a BIGGER and BETTER Disneyland out there (totally blew my mind as a kid). I currently live in Hawaii, but I grew up in Southern California so I used to go to DL almost every year when I was younger. My parents didn't believe in spending money for a trip to WDW when we had DL nearby, so it was always just a distant dream. However, now that I'm all grown up (debatable) and have been working for a couple years, my boyfriend and I have saved up enough money for this dream vacation - it's finally happening! :teeth:

kangaroo_zpslip2jsot.jpg

My BF and I are on the left. (sorry for the low quality pic)​

The Boyfriend - The BF and I have been together for 2 years, and this WDW trip will be our 3 year anniversary! Our first official date as a couple was at DL, so an anniversary at WDW seems very fitting.

Yup, it's going to be just the two of us. This is a big vacation for us and we want it to be unforgettable. We probably won't be able to visit WDW again for a few years, so we want to splurge a bit and experience everything Disney has to offer.

Last edited:
Ironing Out The Basics: When & Where?

When should we go?
At first we were set on going the second half of August to celebrate my birthday. I didn't think much about it until mid March when I started looking at resorts and doing a bit of research. I realized that the weather was going to be far from ideal during that time. The heat/humidity in August would be hard for my BF to endure, even though he was willing to if I wanted to go during my birthday. It also rains a lot, and unfortunately I'm one of those SoCal people who hide indoors whenever it starts to sprinkle. :umbrella: I considered switching our dates due to the weather, but was still on the fence...

until I read about ADRs at WDW. I was totally caught off guard. I had NO idea that you had to plan WDW vacations 6 months in advance! We definitely weren't prepared at all for an August trip, so I moved our trip to October. The final dates ended up being Oct 25 - Nov 2, with the F&W festival as an added bonus! My BF and I both love love love food, so the F&W festival definitely solidified our plans. :mickeybar

Where to stay?
It was a lot of fun looking through and reading about all the WDW resorts. Although there's something special about each resort, I immediately fell in love with AKV. My BF and I are both avid animal lovers, most of our previous mini trips were to different zoos, so it's no surprise that AKV was our favorite.

animal-kingdom-villas-jambo-gallery03.jpg

Even though we both loved it, it was out of our price range. We were going to have to stay at one of the moderate resorts, but then I discovered the wonders of renting DVC points. Thanks to this forum, I was able to find someone to rent points from. Renting points made a stay at AKV around the same price as a stay at a moderate! We booked a standard studio at AKV - Kidani for 10/25-10/30, but there was no availability for the last 3 nights of our trip. I was actually happy that I now had an excuse to experience 2 resorts instead of just one.

room-ls-g01.jpg

I couldn't justify paying the premium for a Royal Room for the entire trip, but if it was just for 3 nights then maybe... I asked the BF if we could and he agreed to let me play princess and stay at POR's Royal Guest Room for 10/30-11/2!! princess: Even though I'm in my twenties, the idea of staying in a beautiful princess room makes me all giddy inside. :love: I can't help smiling every time I see pictures of those rooms!

Thoughts
Now that the dates are set and the rooms are booked, it's really happening! I've been dreaming about going to WDW for so long that the whole thing still seems surreal to me. Whenever I went to DL I never planned anything. This is a totally different experience. At DL I knew where to eat and which rides were the best, but I know nothing about WDW. There's so much to learn and it's a bit overwhelming. I'm so thankful that this forum exists, it's been such a valuable resource. My 180 day mark is coming up, so my next step is to focus on which restaurants I want to make ADRs at. If you have any favorites or recommendations, please feel free to share!

Last edited:
Have fun!! Looking forward to following along with your PTR as we are going in October as well!

Park Days

Since we're only going for 8 nights, we're spending 5 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal. We want to skip the park-hopper option for both and use the money for a bigger food budget!

Sun 10/25 - arrival day, Resorts/DTD
Mon 10/26 - Hollywood Studios
Tues 10/27 - Universal Studios Florida
Wed 10/28 - Epcot
Thurs 10/29 - Universal's Islands of Adventure
Fri 10/30 - Magic Kingdom
Sat 10/31 - Animal Kingdom
Sun 11/1 - Magic Kingdom
Mon 11/2 - departure day, Resorts/DTD

Of course the schedule is subject to change depending on which ADRs I can snag.
As of now, we're skipping MNSSHP and HHN... I hope I don't regret that decision later. :worried:

Last edited:
I'm in! F&W is my favorite time of year at Disney. Hope you have a wonderful 1st trip to WDW!

I would hold off on HHN decision until the houses get announced this summer - we skipped HHN last year as only 2 of the houses appealed to us which didn't make it worth it.

So awesome! I live in Texas so we're kinda in the middle but I have yet gone to DL... So happy for yu and your boyfriend getting to go to WDW. It's such a magical place and I can't wait to hear what you think of the parks and how they all differ to Disneyland.. :)

Have fun!! Looking forward to following along with your PTR as we are going in October as well!
Thank you! Hope you have an amazing trip too! :goodvibes

Ah this is so exciting!
:yay: yea I'm super excited! and grats on getting your ADRs down for your trip! I wish I only had 2 more months to wait too.

I'm in! F&W is my favorite time of year at Disney. Hope you have a wonderful 1st trip to WDW!

I would hold off on HHN decision until the houses get announced this summer - we skipped HHN last year as only 2 of the houses appealed to us which didn't make it worth it.
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep an eye out for updates/news. I'm so happy and feel so lucky that we were able to adjust our dates to attend F&W, can't wait to pig out!

So awesome! I live in Texas so we're kinda in the middle but I have yet gone to DL... So happy for yu and your boyfriend getting to go to WDW. It's such a magical place and I can't wait to hear what you think of the parks and how they all differ to Disneyland.. :)
Thanks! If you ever get the chance you should definitely take a short vacation to check out DL/DCA and see what it's like. :)

Our ADR Plan

Our 180 day mark is in one week on 4/28!! I'll be up and ready at 6am EST to try and book everything. Unfortunately since we're doing a split stay, I won't be able to make ADRs for our last days until a later date. :worried: Hoping everything works out and we can get all the ADRs we want. :worship: We're not really breakfast people, so we'll be having 2 meals each day with lots of snacks in between. Here's our ideal ADR schedule~

sanaa-gallery00.jpg
10/25 - Arrival: lunch at Sanaa, QS dinner
We're going to head to Sanaa after we arrive at AKV for a late lunch while we wait for our room. I was planning to skip Sanaa since we're going to Boma and Jiko as well, but I keep reading raving reviews and seeing pics of the delicious food, now I just can't miss it. At night we'll visit some of the other resorts since this is our only free day and grab a quick dinner whenever/wherever we get hungry.

hollywood-brown-derby-gallery06.jpg
10/26 - Hollywood Studios: QS lunch at Studio Catering Co, dinner at Hollywood Brown Derby
We're going to try and book the Fantasmic Dining Package for dinner. Definitely going to have some yummy steak tonight. :cool:

butterbeer.jpg
10/27 - Universal Studios Florida: lunch at Leaky Cauldron, dinner at Jiko
BUTTERBEER!! :drinking1 I want to try both the frozen and hot Butterbeer! We're really looking forward to eating at the HP restaurants, BF and I are both big fans. Even though we're spending the day at USF we're coming back to WDW for dinner because there's just TOO many Disney restaurants I want to try, I can't fit them all in!

chefs-de-france-gallery06.jpg
10/28 - Epcot: lunch at F&W booths, dinner at Chefs de France
We're beyond excited that we'll be there for F&W! :yay: Getting the chance to sample unique treats from all over the world is going to be amazing. Hopefully we'll have enough self control to leave some room for dinner. MMM salmon :) can you tell I've already stalked all the menus and decided what I want to order at every restaurant? lol

honeydukes2_tcm13-23135.jpg
10/29 - Universal's Islands of Adventure: lunch at Three Broomsticks, dinner at Boma
Yay for another HP lunch! Then some chocolate frogs from Honeydukes for dessert. :woohoo:

bog2.jpg
10/30 - Magic Kingdom: lunch at Be Our Guest, QS dinner at Columbia Harbour House
Just look at that picture. :love: :love: Simply gorgeous. It was really hard deciding whether I wanted to have lunch or dinner at BOG. I ended up choosing lunch so I can take as much time as I want to wander through and admire the 3 dining rooms.

victoria-and-alberts-gallery01.jpg
10/31 - Animal Kingdom: QS lunch at Flame Tree BBQ, dinner at Victoria & Albert's
My BF was the one who suggested going to V&A, which surprised me because I'm the one who's into fine dining. It'll be the most expensive meal we've ever paid for ourselves, so I was hesitant at first. After I read about their exquisite service and food, I was fully on board. It's going to be an unforgettable experience! Plus, if we're going to splurge on a nice dinner, what better place to do it than at WDW? :cloud9:

cindy.jpg
11/1 - Magic Kingdom: breakfast at Crystal Palace, dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table
Can't wait to try the breakfast lasagna at CP! And of course I'd never pass up the chance to eat inside Cinderella's castle! princess:

11/2 - Departure

There you have it, our dream ADR schedule! Food is definitely a big part of this trip. We won't be able to visit WDW again for a very long while, so we wanted to try and fit in as many special dining experiences as we could. Since we both grew up in California and currently live in Hawaii, we thought skipping California Grill and everything at the Poly would be okay. Now to wait anxiously until 4/28...

Last edited:
:wave2: Hi there! Joining in from over on my PTR!

Overall I think your plans look great!
princess: Even though I'm in my twenties, the idea of staying in a beautiful princess room makes me all giddy inside. :love: I can't help smiling every time I see pictures of those rooms!
That is perfectly understandable! Don't let the kid fool you, I totally booked that Royal Room for myself! :rotfl::thumbsup2 (and a few other practical reasons that got DH on board.)

I won't be able to make ADRs for our last days until a later date. :worried:
I'm not sure that is true. The Rule of thumb is 180 + 10 since your trip is only 8 days long I would think it would be doable. Though I could be mistaken.

Since we both grew up in California and currently live in Hawaii, we thought skipping California Grill and everything at the Poly would be okay.
I think that may be a fair assessment. While Ohana is a favorite of DH's a big reason for that is due to the fact that he was born and raised in Hawaii and the food at Ohana reminds him a bit of "Home". Since we live on the East coast this is a big deal. Coming from Hawaii, I am not sure I would bother.

Your ADR plan sounds AMAZING! Great job!
Thanks!

It's a must! I may get out to California for my graduation next spring!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
SO jealous! Can't wait to hear more reviews on it from you guys! :)
Here's to hoping you get to go and have a great time there as well! :goodvibes They haven't announced when they're going to end the Diamond celebration, but if you can make it while it's still running it'd be a real treat. I'm planning a quick trip just to see the celebration myself.

That is perfectly understandable! Don't let the kid fool you, I totally booked that Royal Room for myself! :rotfl::thumbsup2 (and a few other practical reasons that got DH on board.)

I think that may be a fair assessment. While Ohana is a favorite of DH's a big reason for that is due to the fact that he was born and raised in Hawaii and the food at Ohana reminds him a bit of "Home". Since we live on the East coast this is a big deal. Coming from Hawaii, I am not sure I would bother.
:laughing: Can't wait to read your TR and see what you thought of the room!!
Have you ever thought of visiting Aulani? I went inside the resort once to check it out and it's GORGEOUS. :lovestruc

Have you ever thought of visiting Aulani? I went inside the resort once to check it out and it's GORGEOUS. :lovestruc
We've priced it out because my MIL still lives in HI but it comes down to plane tickets costing way too much and it being too much stress on a small child. Though its high on the bucket list to get to some time.

Your trip sounds like it'll be a lot of fun! I think its a good idea to skip the park hopper, as we are also staying at AKL, and from our plans we are only using it once. And you're ADR list looks great! I hope you can get everything you want! The BOG lunch is really good, I hope you can snag an ADR.

Joining in! How exciting to finally make it to WDW and you are correct when you said it takes a lot of planning! Your itinerary looks great and so do your ADRs. We have some of the same ADRs but I am so jealous of your V&A ressie. I would love to dine there and it is definitely on my bucket list. We usually stay at Mods but I've heard AKL is beautiful so we are heading over there to walk around and dine at Jiko (contemplating Sanaa though). I think you will love the RR at POR. We stayed there for one night on our first trip and it was so cool and all the little touches are cute. My favorite was the spout on the bathroom sink that is shaped like genie's lamp! Good luck on your ADRs!

Hi, Ruby! :wave2: Today was your ADR date! Your plans look amazing ... I hope you get everything you want!

You are going to love Animal Kingdom Villas. We're huge animal people, too, and can't get enough of it. And Food & Wine is so, so fun ... though I'm one of the ones with no self-control, and I never book ADRs for my Epcot days during Food & Wine. :blush:

I can't wait to read about your Victoria & Albert's experience, too.

Happy planning!

We've priced it out because my MIL still lives in HI but it comes down to plane tickets costing way too much and it being too much stress on a small child. Though its high on the bucket list to get to some time.
Yea airfare is expensive. :( If it's ever feasible in the future hopefully you can find a good deal renting DVC points, that might help some.

Your trip sounds like it'll be a lot of fun! I think its a good idea to skip the park hopper, as we are also staying at AKL, and from our plans we are only using it once. And you're ADR list looks great! I hope you can get everything you want! The BOG lunch is really good, I hope you can snag an ADR.
Thanks!! I figure we can just upgrade on site if needed, but I doubt it'll be necessary. Crossing fingers for BOG, really looking forward to trying the roast beef sandwich.

Joining in! How exciting to finally make it to WDW and you are correct when you said it takes a lot of planning! Your itinerary looks great and so do your ADRs. We have some of the same ADRs but I am so jealous of your V&A ressie. I would love to dine there and it is definitely on my bucket list. We usually stay at Mods but I've heard AKL is beautiful so we are heading over there to walk around and dine at Jiko (contemplating Sanaa though). I think you will love the RR at POR. We stayed there for one night on our first trip and it was so cool and all the little touches are cute. My favorite was the spout on the bathroom sink that is shaped like genie's lamp! Good luck on your ADRs!
I never imagined it would require so much work to plan! At least I'm having fun with it, especially after I found the DIS. :) Hope you get to dine at V&A someday soon! & I've read SO many good reviews on both Jiko and Sanaa, I'm sure you can't go wrong with either. I love hearing about people's good experiences, it just makes me that much more excited to experience it myself! :goodvibes

Hi, Ruby! :wave2: Today was your ADR date! Your plans look amazing ... I hope you get everything you want!

You are going to love Animal Kingdom Villas. We're huge animal people, too, and can't get enough of it. And Food & Wine is so, so fun ... though I'm one of the ones with no self-control, and I never book ADRs for my Epcot days during Food & Wine. :blush:

I can't wait to read about your Victoria & Albert's experience, too.

Happy planning!
Thank you!! I'll post an ADR update soon. I can't wait to stay at AKV. Unfortunately we didn't get a savannah room, so hoping the viewing areas throughout the resort are nice. Once bloggers start posting the F&W food offerings/reviews, I may end up canceling my ADR if there are too many things I want to try. I have VERY limited self-control as well when it comes to food. :rolleyes1

Following along! It'll be nice to follow someone else who is going for the very first time who usually goes to DL! How did your ADRs go?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter