Our Twice-Covid-Delayed trip...here now!

Gorgeous day but it got pretty crowded with Grad Night kids. I'm grateful for Genie+
It was a very festive atmosphere at Dland with all the grads. Loved seeing the hats. 👩🏻‍🎓

When I left at 4, I overheard like a lot of families leaving to catch a nap and then return for MSEP.

Have a great time at DCA today!

Oh my goodness guys. We are so, so tired! Before I give you the rundown of our final day at Disney's California Adventure Park let me just tell you.. we are exhausted! This morning is our last day in Anaheim and we chose to make it a day of rest, thank heavens! My typical practice when we go to Disney is to do two days in the Parks and then one day of rest and then two days of parks etc etc. Because of grad nights returning we opted to compress our days and avoid the Friday grad night. While this was a very good decision I'm sure, (the Wednesday grad night that we were here for was very, very busy) it means that all four of our days were done back to back with no days of rest. I felt like my feet were on fire, like I was walking on stumps by the end of days three and four. And this morning my feet and legs hurt so bad I don't even want to get out of bed to go to the bathroom. It just reinforces to me that alternating days in the park and days of rest is so important if you're going to be going for more than 2 days. Anyway, today we slept in. It is now 8:40 a.m. and I have hardly budged. We will eventually wander out and find breakfast somewhere, spend the day resting and maybe nosing around Downtown Disney a little bit more. We will be staying up for this evening's fireworks show though! Can't miss the fireworks viewing terrace from our hotel.
PXL_20220520_155244061.jpg
(Hey! My daughter just went down and got us all OJ and chocolate muffins for breakfast. She's the best! I didn't even have to get out of bed.)PXL_20220520_154415305.PORTRAIT.jpg

Alrighty then, let's talk about day four in the Parks.PXL_20220519_151909009.jpg You've probably figured, I am the planner and documenter of these joyrneys. I have been surprised at how this new Genie+ system has changed how I plan and tour the parks. In the past I would focus on one half of the park per day. We wouldn't worry about the rides that we were missing, because you could do as many fast passes as the system would allow. PXL_20220519_183628072.PORTRAIT.jpgSometimes we'd go on a ride several times using fast passes as long as they were available and not worry about rides on the other side of the park. Now with Genie+ only allowing one ride with Lightning Lane per day we feel compelled to use all of the Lightning Lanes because if you don't use them they are lost to you. PXL_20220519_170119923.jpgThis means that even though we do focus on one half of the park per day, every afternoon we feel like we need to take a journey over to the other half of the park to hit their Lghtning Lane rides. That might be the only chance to ride the bigger rides more than once per trip. I think we probably walked a lot more this trip than we have in the past because we spent a lot more time zigzagging all around the park to use all the Lightning Lanes. PXL_20220519_214333030.jpgIn the past we could more easily plan which LL to use based on which rides were in our general area.
That being said, I was really surprised at how this new way of zigzagging the parks and doing all of the major rides in one day has almost forced into doing more rides in one day than we would have. We found that on our very first day in DCA we did almost everything that we really wanted to do, so our second day in DCA, yesterday, was almost wide open to do whatever.PXL_20220520_015539408.jpg We pretty much discarded the plan and made a new one on the fly. We did the same three rides yesterday at rope drop that we had done our first day in DCA: Radiator Springs, Web Slingers, and Guardians. We got all three of those in before 9:45 in the morning. Then we jetted over to Incredicoaster and rode that on standby. We went next door and stood in line for Toy Story Mania. We walked down to Soarin' and did that with a fast pass. After Soarin' we did Grizzly River Run as a walk on since the line was very short (cool day). PXL_20220520_022419240.jpgWe went over to the Redwoods Trail and walked through that to see what it was all about since this is new since our last trip. Around 3:00 we walked over to Wine Country Trattoria and had Italian food on the terrace. It was really tasty! By the time I stood up I thought I would fall over because my feet hurt so bad. I had to walk it off! I can't remember the order of the rest of the day but we did Grizzly one more time Monsters Inc, The Little Mermaid, and a lightning lane for Guardians of the Galaxy.PXL_20220520_015444071.jpg Earlier in the day one of our lightning lanes turned into an anytime pass so we did lightning lane one more time for Guardians! We wandered through Avengers Campus looking for strange new snacks of the alien variety. PXL_20220520_013813846.PORTRAIT.jpgWe got this chocolate raspberry bun I can't remember its name, a shawarma chicken wrap with yogurt sauce, and a giant pretzel at Pym's test kitchen. PXL_20220520_020325028.jpgAround 8:00pm we found that we had done everything you wanted to do, snacked all we wanted to snack, and were ready to leave. Our feet were shouting at us and we were satisfied. So we left the park for the last time on this trip. The only thing we didn't get to do was ride the monorail, but we think we will go over to Downtown Disney today and find out if there's any way that we can ride a loop without a park ticket. If we cannot then we have a reason to come back next time! There's always something you don't get done.PXL_20220520_022717588.jpg
Thanks for reliving our journey with me! This is my final post since the day will be lazy and unplanned and tomorrow is just our journey home. I'm happy to answer any questions about how the trip went, what was running and what was not, etc.
Enjoy YOUR journey to Disney. Take care!

What a great DCA day! My family loves WCT, especially on the terrace. Very impressive you got all 3 big rides done quickly! We're probably going to do pixar pier one morning and then try doing RSR, WS and GotG our next DCA day.

It will be interesting to see how my family does with G+. I really loved MaxPass last trip, getting multiple FPs and of course having RSR included in the available rides was also nice versus paying separate.

What was more fun, Avengers Campus or Galaxy's Edge?

What a great DCA day! My family loves WCT, especially on the terrace. Very impressive you got all 3 big rides done quickly! We're probably going to do pixar pier one morning and then try doing RSR, WS and GotG our next DCA day.

It will be interesting to see how my family does with G+. I really loved MaxPass last trip, getting multiple FPs and of course having RSR included in the available rides was also nice versus paying separate.

What was more fun, Avengers Campus or Galaxy's Edge?
We planned to do that too, split the park, but found that we could do all the major rides in one day using Genie+, some of them twice in one day by ropedropping and then using the Genie after 10am. If your kids are 9+ and feel ok riding without the parents, do RSR and Web Slingers as single-riders. You will all be within a few cars of one another. RSR we did as single Rider every time (I think we did it 3-4 times over two days) and never waited more than 15 min. Web Slingers SR line essentially cuts the wait in half. Day one at DCA the wait was 20min. Day 2 we waited about 7min. Both times at around 9am.
We are not Marvel fans (like em, don't love em) so we don't really know the back stories. We do love the StarWars universe and know most of those characters. Also we enjoy the multi-layer detail of Batuu. Characters were always out and interacting with visitors. We liked Batuu better. But AC was very busy with LOADS of characters every time we were there and people everywhere. The Spiderman show was neat. People seemed to enjoy the other shows as well. Kids were in awe. If you love both genres you will love both lands.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed report! It was fun to read and also gave me good insights into what to expect/plan for my trip in a couple weeks. So glad you and your family had a great time!

Day One:
We are on our way to DISNEYLAND!! Let me introduce us...we are Cindy (mom), Ray (Dad) and Emma (lovely and talented daughter). After twice being delayed/cancelled after Disney shut down for COVID, we are finally on our way!
View attachment 669520

We flew from Boise, Idaho to LAX early on a Sunday morning, May 15th. This is our first vacation to Disney as a family of three adults. The trip was originally set for the summer in-between our daughter's Junior and Senior years of high school. It is finally taking place after her first year of college, at 19 years old.

(Why would Emma choose THIS book for in-flight reading?!?)
View attachment 669521

Sorry Jay, no go for you.
View attachment 669522

(I'll keep updating as we journey...)
Dam we are similar! Almost the same senario, 19 year old grad, 2 year delayed trip, hell we even have a cat that looks just like yours!!

Rooting for a great trip.

Ours is August 1st

Wait! One last post 😁....

ESSENTIALS-
1. Gallon Ziplocks for EVERYTHING (easy to get through security, keeps things dry, keeps things contained)
2. Tylenol and Ibuprofen
3. Ponchos (if it will be cool and you want to Splash on the Mountain)
4. Mole Skin
5. A change of shoes/sandals
6. Water bottles
7. Sunscreen

Wait! One last post 😁....

ESSENTIALS-
1. Gallon Ziplocks for EVERYTHING (easy to get through security, keeps things dry, keeps things contained)
2. Tylenol and Ibuprofen
3. Ponchos (if it will be cool and you want to Splash on the Mountain)
4. Mole Skin
5. A change of shoes/sandals
6. Water bottles
7. Sunscreen
My number one recommendation is always mole skin!

Ok, ONE LAST POST (I just can't resist). We spent the morning asleep....for a long time ...then wandered out of bed and eventually got ready for the day....by around noon. We went to Downtown Disney for shopping, pin-trading, and lunch.PXL_20220520_220513303.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20220520_221044848.jpg Em and I have decided that the very best pin boards are in DTD and at the hotels! We found most of our good ones here on day 1 and today. We bought some souvenirs and we atePXL_20220520_212522823.jpgat Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen (oh my!). Here are some pics from today. Enjoy and ta ta!
PXL_20220520_202703656.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220520_231340466.jpgPXL_20220520_231347599.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220520_212522823.jpg
    PXL_20220520_212522823.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220520_203622057.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220520_203622057.PORTRAIT.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3
PhotoCollage_20220520_220837852.jpgFireworks from the deck of the Desert Inn. If you can't be in the park, at least you can watch from up high!

Info I would have liked to know:
1) You cannot hear the music.
2) The fireworks are pretty close but not SUPER close
3) They are angled a little diagonal to where the hotel is.
4) The deck fencing is tall and you are looking through it (see photo)
5) They have nice deck chairs and there were only about 10-15 people up there with us on a Friday night in May. Room for all.

(Em watched too...they were waiting for the start when this pic was snapped)

Thanks for your trip report - I love all the pictures!

My daughter and I went to Disneyland this past Friday (she's also 19) and it was lovely all day until the evening. Then it was super packed the rest of the night - I think people park hopped from DCA because of Grad Nite.

We were happy to have genie + and dining reservations. Loved the parade and fireworks!

BTW, my daughter goes to Boise State. Hope you had a safe trip home!

Thanks for a wonderful report…so detailed and you have a charming writing style…I feel like I tagged along with you and your family! Every day sounded fun but tiring!

Thanks for your trip report - I love all the pictures!

My daughter and I went to Disneyland this past Friday (she's also 19) and it was lovely all day until the evening. Then it was super packed the rest of the night - I think people park hopped from DCA because of Grad Nite.

We were happy to have genie + and dining reservations. Loved the parade and fireworks!

BTW, my daughter goes to Boise State. Hope you had a safe trip home!
We were glad to be out of the park on Friday. We really needed that day of rest! Got home safely and are resting now.

Thank you! I really enjoyed your report! I love that you were able to go with your 19 year old daughter. My littles will be 5 and 7 for their first trip in August, but it sounds so sweet to do a parents and adult kid trip. Thanks again for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter