our non-rushing (sorta) disney anniversary w/ PICS & VIDEO! new TR link - p. 136

Speaking of Raglan Road...have you ever eaten there? My DF and I are going to stop there for a drink, but we already made all our meal reservations. I originally wanted to eat everywear that has something to do with our nationalities. I am Irish/Italian and he is German/Italian (and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't really dominate...lol), so I made a reservation in Italy and Germany, but thought Raglan rd. was more of a bar so I did't bother. Now I hear about all these people eating there. I guess it's just an excuse to go back right? How is the food?

Also...have you ever been to Adventurers Club? As big of a Disneyaholic I am, I have never even heard of it. Mostly due to the fact that I have never gone to Pleasure Island to party. I have always been with my parents and my sister on a family vacation and my little sister was never of age to drink, so we just went to walk around (I think my sister was allowed into one or two places, but we just danced) I read about the AC though and it seems like somethingthat would just be so much fun and Steve would really enjoy. Can someone explain what they do there?

Can't wait to hear abut the trip some more.

Dawn - I sure hope the rain stops for her although I do agree about the ponchos. I alot of stuff is inside which is a good thing. The last time we were there (June 2005) it rained every day around 3 for at least an hour. One day it did rain a lot more after it got dark and we had ressie's for the hibachi in Japan (forgot the name of it) and we wore our ponchos to the restuarant and back to the bus. It was kind of sad because Illuminations was starting in a drizzle but the boys didn't want to know about any fireworks that night so we went back to the resort. Aynway tell Brooke to have fun and Jon too.

i think maybe the rain slacked off a little today. i just checked the weather and tomorrow it's going to rain again in the afternoon. oh well......no one can control the weather!

Did you warn her about the ducks at Flametree? ;)

surprisingly, fear of birds does not run in our family. so i think she'll be okay. :laughing:

Yeah my dog is my child for now; i mean why else would i type with one hand? :) Thanks again for giving me your dining tips!

my dogs are my kids right now too. i doubt that will change even after i have a real one! i just love them so much!!!

Rain, that is a total bummer! It's so weird how the weather changes so often there. When we went in February of last year, the weather was freezing for the 5 days we were there but as soon as that last day came, it was hot. I don't get it. :confused3 That happened the year before when it was hot the 1st three days, then cold the rest. However, we went in march of this year and it was hot the whole time. That's why I always wear versatile outfits. You never know what to expect regardless of the weather forecast.:confused: :)

yeah, weather in florida is just crazy! we've been really lucky with rain and usually when it comes, it goes away quickly. i have no idea what to expect when we go in mid december!

Would love to hear what your sister thought of Raglan Road; we ate there for the first time in June and loved it!

And I agree - have ponchos, will travel; a little rain never hurt anybody!:thumbsup2

So sweet about the Wishes ringtone; I have "We Go On" from Illuminations; I swear, I get tears in my eyes every time I hear it!:cloud9:

i'm trying to get her to do a TR so maybe she can tell you herself!

i have the jiminy cricket version of "when you wish upon a star" as my ring tone. the one ray got from wishes is what his phone plays when i call him.....so cute that he picked that out!

You got some great shots of Wishes! One of these days I'll start my TR and post my pictures...talk about pathetic! I saved a couple for a laugh! Mickey's Philarmagic is so great. It might be one of my top favorite "rides." We had to do it twice!

i'd love to see them! let me know if you start a TR!

Speaking of Raglan Road...have you ever eaten there? My DF and I are going to stop there for a drink, but we already made all our meal reservations. I originally wanted to eat everywear that has something to do with our nationalities. I am Irish/Italian and he is German/Italian (and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't really dominate...lol), so I made a reservation in Italy and Germany, but thought Raglan rd. was more of a bar so I did't bother. Now I hear about all these people eating there. I guess it's just an excuse to go back right? How is the food?

Also...have you ever been to Adventurers Club? As big of a Disneyaholic I am, I have never even heard of it. Mostly due to the fact that I have never gone to Pleasure Island to party. I have always been with my parents and my sister on a family vacation and my little sister was never of age to drink, so we just went to walk around (I think my sister was allowed into one or two places, but we just danced) I read about the AC though and it seems like somethingthat would just be so much fun and Steve would really enjoy. Can someone explain what they do there?

Can't wait to hear abut the trip some more.

i've never been to raglan road so i don't know about the food, etc.

however, if you want to go to the adventurer's club you're out of luck unless you're going before 9/28. they are closing the clubs/bars in PI then and refurbing the whole thing. last i heard, no one knew if they were gonna reopen AC or not. there are a lot of people upset about it - everyone loves that place! so if you're going to WDW before 9/28 you're in luck, but if not then i'm afraid it's not a possibility. :sad2:

Awww, I have missed seeing UtahMama!!

me too!!! :laughing:

well, i haven't heard from brooke today other than a text that said, "we are here now (AK). it's not raining just yet." so i hope the lack of phone calls means they're having fun!

if i had to guess, i'd say they're at PI right now having a great time!!!!

i have court all day tomorrow so i thought i'd do a quick synopsis of their day. so i present to you a premature version of.....

where in the world are brooke and jon?

tomorrow (tuesday) brooke and jon will be going to typhoon lagoon (i think - they were still trying to decide between TL and BB) until around 3:00, then they will be going back to the room to clean up and head to epcot for the evening. they will have dinner at coral reef, where brooke has arranged to have a diver hold up a sign for jon that he doesn't know about. ;) then they will enjoy epcot for evening EMH. FUN!!!!!!!!!!! :goodvibes

well, i haven't heard from brooke today other than a text that said, "we are here now (AK). it's not raining just yet." so i hope the lack of phone calls means they're having fun!

if i had to guess, i'd say they're at PI right now having a great time!!!!

i have court all day tomorrow so i thought i'd do a quick synopsis of their day. so i present to you a premature version of.....

where in the world are brooke and jon?

tomorrow (tuesday) brooke and jon will be going to typhoon lagoon (i think - they were still trying to decide between TL and BB) until around 3:00, then they will be going back to the room to clean up and head to epcot for the evening. they will have dinner at coral reef, where brooke has arranged to have a diver hold up a sign for jon that he doesn't know about. ;) then they will enjoy epcot for evening EMH. FUN!!!!!!!!!!! :goodvibes

Aww, it so exciting knowing what they are doing! I just love Disney trips!

As many times as we have been, I have never been to a Disney waterpark:sad2:

Oh, their day tomorrow sounds like sooo much fun! We loved Typhoon Lagoon when we went in April and of course, what a wonderful way to spend their evening -- at Epcot!

i really want a nicer camera where i can slow down the shutter speed and get AMAZING fireworks shots.
When I thought about a new camera, I wanted one that was smaller and slimmer than my current one (Canon Powershot A95) which is about 3 years old. But when I went looking around for one, I found that the smaller ones don't have manual shutter or aperture mode, so I settled on this one, which I might get this weekend. For its age, my current digicam takes really good photos. Here are a few fireworks shots I've gotten from it:

275337523_2e1bc329af.jpg

275337518_562a2f286f.jpg

275337514_29bb1e18c1.jpg

2669454739_7dd820e4c0.jpg

That last one was from Wishes. Sorry to hijack your TR with my photos! Just wanted you to see what you can do with manually adjustable shutter speed and aperture, even if the cam is a bit bulkier.

Yeah, I know they are closing all the clubs at Pleasure Island. Our honeymoon is from August 9th till the 17th though so we are definately going to be going for a night out there to say goodbye:sad2: Aparently Disney feels that Pleasure Island doesnt fit "the mold" of being family orriented. Although they do really good business, the feel that instead of clubs and bars, there should be more family friendly shops/restaraunts/activities there. Here is an article that I read about it.

"Walt Disney World is shutting down the six nightclubs at Pleasure Island to make its party district at Downtown Disney more family friendly.

BET SoundStage Club, Mannequins Dance Palace, 8Trax and three other clubs that have for years catered largely to young, single adults -- rather than to Disney's bread-and-butter family market -- will close after Sept. 27.

During the next couple of years, Disney will reopen the Pleasure Island venues with a broader mix of restaurants and shops.

Pleasure Island's change has been the subject of rumors for a while. Now 19 years old, it may have seemed an odd venture for Disney, but it appeared to thrive -- so much so that some in the industry have blamed it for accelerating the decline of the nightlife district in downtown Orlando during the 1990s.
In announcing what they called "a bold new vision" for all of Downtown Disney on Friday, Disney officials framed the Pleasure Island nightclub closures as a response to customers who say they want more broad-based dining and retail opportunities throughout the 120-acre district.

"Right now we believe we've got a shortage of dining capacity and shopping capacity, so we'll be adding to those areas, and we'll be looking at some specialized entertainment options also," said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry.

Dining, shopping, more

Pleasure Island opened in 1989, designed to look like a revitalized back-alley warehouse district. Today it is the middle section of Disney World's dining, shopping and entertainment district. Though the two flanking areas, Marketplace and the West Side, also have nightclubs, they operate as parts of restaurants, appealing to broader, family-friendly crowds. Until recently, Pleasure Island has been mostly about music, dancing, drinking and partying -- creating an awkward link between Marketplace and West Side.

"The rumor has been there that they would transform Pleasure Island into something else, but us regulars always thought at least Mannequins and 8Trax would stay alive," said Jorge Vazquez, 41, an accountant who said he goes to Pleasure Island two or three times a month.

Pleasure Island and its counterpart at Universal Orlando, CityWalk, which opened in 1999, both offer coordinated clusters of high-quality, highly themed nightclubs with lots of free parking and security. They offered two carefully conceived alternatives to downtown Orlando's once-vibrant counterpart, Church Street Station.

Orlando lawyer Mark NeJame, majority investor in the downtown nightclub Tabu as well as an investor in other nightclubs, said he is surprised at Disney's announcement but that it could be good news for downtown Orlando.

"It's a real opportunity for downtown to continue its revitalization," NeJame said. "When Pleasure Island first opened, it devastated a lot of the local entrepreneurs and operators."

Some businesses remain

Though the six nightclubs will close, the other businesses on Pleasure Island -- a couple of restaurants, a cigar bar and a couple of clothing shops -- will remain open. They already offer the broad appeal that Lansberry said Disney's patrons want. He did not offer specifics about what might replace the clubs but said Disney was looking worldwide for restaurant and shopping concepts.

"Some of the offerings might feel like a nightclub, but they won't feel like high-energy clubs like we have today in all likelihood," Lansberry said. "Truthfully, our guests have really gotten out of that in the last couple of years. They want things that are a lot more geared toward family entertainment."

Disney World also is sprucing up Downtown Disney's other two areas, adding restaurants, expanding and updating a band shell, refurbishing and updating other businesses, and bringing in a giant tethered-balloon attraction that visitors will be able to ride in, going up more than 300 feet above Village Lake.

Bob Snow, who developed Church Street Station in the 1970s and has re-entered the picture this year by reopening one of that district's centerpiece nightclubs, the Cheyenne Saloon, said he never blamed Pleasure Island for Church Street's decline. But he, too, said he hopes Pleasure Island's nightclub closures would create more opportunities in downtown Orlando.

Snow said he always was amazed that Disney got into the nightclub-district business in the first place.

"It really surprised me that they're just going to throw in the towel," he said. Then he added: "They got out of their knitting. They got out of their main line, what they do so well."

Sounds like fun! You have to have Brooke let us know how the water parks were. I've never been but they sound like fun!

Hi Dawn!

Just caught up on about the last 20 pgs. or so....I was in Hawaii for the last couple of weeks and missed quite a bit.......you have quite the popular thread! :goodvibes

Backtracking a bit...

That's cool that you went on the Barnstormer........we don't have kids either and never really thought to try it. I guess we have to add that to our list for "next time." :thumbsup2

I can't believe I never noticed the "giant" in the store. :rolleyes: Thanks for posting the pic!

I LOVE your shadow picture.......what a great idea! :)

Ray wanted to go BACK to Epcot??? Yea for you! :woohoo:

Can't wait for more! Your pics are fabulous and your report is entertaining, as always!!!

loved the last few updates, i love how disney makes adults turn more into kids and the great time that we can have down there.

another family that iwould have smacked while watching the show.

:mad:

Alexis, I had no idea Christina was your sister! I used to always check in on her planning and the wedding looks like it'll be great! That's so funny, I just never put two and two together :goodvibes

Sorry about the rain Dawn! I'm sure Brooke and Jon had a good time regardless. At least most of the rides and attractions at Disney are indoors so there's always something to do in the rain. Keep us updated on whether or not they extend their tickets!

Yup Christina is my big sister lol...her wedding is gonna be nice...im soo doing a huge TR for that week of her wedding...you better read it haha jk.

Aww, it so exciting knowing what they are doing! I just love Disney trips!

As many times as we have been, I have never been to a Disney waterpark:sad2:

me, neither! ray HATES being hot so i don't torture him and make him lay out in the sun. he just wouldn't enjoy it. maybe someday if we have a kid i can take him/her to the waterpark while daddy sleeps in!

Oh, their day tomorrow sounds like sooo much fun! We loved Typhoon Lagoon when we went in April and of course, what a wonderful way to spend their evening -- at Epcot!

i know....i can't wait to see how the diver with the sign she arranged turns out!

When I thought about a new camera, I wanted one that was smaller and slimmer than my current one (Canon Powershot A95) which is about 3 years old. But when I went looking around for one, I found that the smaller ones don't have manual shutter or aperture mode, so I settled on this one, which I might get this weekend. For its age, my current digicam takes really good photos. Here are a few fireworks shots I've gotten from it:

275337523_2e1bc329af.jpg

275337518_562a2f286f.jpg

275337514_29bb1e18c1.jpg

2669454739_7dd820e4c0.jpg

That last one was from Wishes. Sorry to hijack your TR with my photos! Just wanted you to see what you can do with manually adjustable shutter speed and aperture, even if the cam is a bit bulkier.

wow!!!! thanks for posting those! i can't wait to get a better camera. i think the pics i take with mine are as good as it's gonna get. i gotta get my best buy credit card paid down a little before i make another big purchase though!

Yeah, I know they are closing all the clubs at Pleasure Island. Our honeymoon is from August 9th till the 17th though so we are definately going to be going for a night out there to say goodbye:sad2: Aparently Disney feels that Pleasure Island doesnt fit "the mold" of being family orriented. Although they do really good business, the feel that instead of clubs and bars, there should be more family friendly shops/restaraunts/activities there. Here is an article that I read about it.

thanks for posting the article. i have mixed feelings on the refurb of PI....we'll all just have to wait and see how it turns out! glad you guys get to go before it closes though!

Loved the updates. Ready for more....:surfweb:

thanks! i'll be back soon with more. :thumbsup2

Sounds like fun! You have to have Brooke let us know how the water parks were. I've never been but they sound like fun!

i hope she does a TR so she can tell you herself! :laughing:

Hi Dawn!

Just caught up on about the last 20 pgs. or so....I was in Hawaii for the last couple of weeks and missed quite a bit.......you have quite the popular thread! :goodvibes

Backtracking a bit...

That's cool that you went on the Barnstormer........we don't have kids either and never really thought to try it. I guess we have to add that to our list for "next time." :thumbsup2

I can't believe I never noticed the "giant" in the store. :rolleyes: Thanks for posting the pic!

I LOVE your shadow picture.......what a great idea! :)

Ray wanted to go BACK to Epcot??? Yea for you! :woohoo:

Can't wait for more! Your pics are fabulous and your report is entertaining, as always!!!

hope hawaii was a blast! i love your new pic - you guys look so tan!!! :cool2:

goofy's barnstormer was fun. you just have to bite the bullet and act silly on it!

yep.....can you believe ray wanted to go back? it was the shocker of the trip!!!!

loved the last few updates, i love how disney makes adults turn more into kids and the great time that we can have down there.

another family that iwould have smacked while watching the show.

:mad:

maybe next time you can come with us and do the smacking for us! :lmao:

another installment of "where in the world are brooke and jon?"

brooke called me today around noon. they had just gotten back from TL and were having lunch at pop, then cleaning up and heading over to epcot for the rest of the day. right about now they are perhaps watching "turtle talk" right before going to their early dinner ADR at coral reef.

she said that they had a great day at AK yesterday - no rain and the longest they waited for anything was 15 minutes! :thumbsup2 she said the rain sunday at MK was relentless.....not thunderstorms but just constant rain. but they still got everything done that they wanted to do, so that's good. she said raglan road was really fun - good atmosphere. her food was okay, not spectacular, but she really loved the environment. and of course they had a blast at the adventurer's club! i really want to try to go by there in september if we can manage it. she said TL was fun but definitely just a half-day kinda thing. which is good for them since they were going to epcot anyway.

i really hope she does a TR so she can give you guys all the details yourselves. she says they have some great pictures and i know you guys would love to see them!

Just catching up. :surfweb: :surfweb: Amazing Wishes picture. I love the part where the castle turns in to Mickey's Sorcerer's Hat. Thanks for the great updates. Keep them coming.

So glad to hear that the rain has held off for Brooke the last couple of days! I hope she does a TR, too -- she has been some places I want to try (like Raglan Road) and would love to see pictures!!!

Glad she liked Adventurers Club. I am dragging Biff there because I want to see it before it closes. He does not want to go but I don't care. :lmao:

He will have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter