Our Magical "Fjords, Vikings and Castles" Norway Cruise - June 2015 - w/ pics - Completed!

I loved reading about your day in Alesund as you did a lot of the things we had wanted to do as well before we then opted to the Path of the Troll excursion (which was well worth the long day on a bus)! I know that I will be back in Norway and hopefully will get a chance to look around Alesund much more then.

Loving your trip report, it has really sparked the fuel for getting on the magic in august..we haven't cruised for 3 yrs and have really missed it. I have always wanted to go to Norway and see the beautiful scenery, would love to do it next year but I believe the cruises clash with school term times here in the UK and As I work in a school there is no way I will get time off to go!

Looking forward to hearing the rest, thanks for sharing

I think someone mentioned that the first Norway cruise leaving from Dover in May falls into the UK half term holidays.

I think someone mentioned that the first Norway cruise leaving from Dover in May falls into the UK half term holidays.

[/QUOTE]

Oh I hope so!...maybe DH was fobbing me off? Lol

The 7 Night Norway cruise from Dover leaves on the 29th May. This is the Saturday before the UK Bank Holiday and is traditionally half term for most schools. Your schools should have their holidays available online for you to check. It was something my family was considering but it falls in between A-level exam periods otherwise we would have booked this cruise. Maybe 2017? Fingers crossed for a good set of dates that match Uk holidays from DCL.

I am loving your trip report. This cruise is high on my bucket list and is causing problems for my DH as he wants to go back to New York next year and I want to do this! Can't wait for your next instalment.

I loved reading about your day in Alesund as you did a lot of the things we had wanted to do as well before we then opted to the Path of the Troll excursion (which was well worth the long day on a bus)! I know that I will be back in Norway and hopefully will get a chance to look around Alesund much more then.

Thanks! I had originally wanted to do the Path of Trolls but DH overrode me. We had a splendid day in Alesund. I really loved this town.

I am loving your trip report. This cruise is high on my bucket list and is causing problems for my DH as he wants to go back to New York next year and I want to do this! Can't wait for your next instalment.

Thanks for reading! :flower3: I hope it works out that you can make this cruise. It's practically in your backyard.

Day 7: Geiranger

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Sunrise: 4:05 AM

Sunset: 11:16 PM

Temp: Cloudy 44˚F (it actually drizzled on and off most of the day)

All Ashore: 8:30 AM

All Aboard: 4:45 PM

Today’s Plan: Private tour of the Overlooks and up to Mt. Dalsnibba, The Waterfall Walk

Of all the ports this was the one I was looking forward to the most. Evidently, this is the port that inspired Arendelle in “Frozen.” I certainly saw why.

The night before, Commodore Tom told us that we would be entering Geiranger Fjord at 5:45 AM and to be ready by 5:30 AM. This was also stated in the Navigator. I went up on Deck 10 by 5:35 AM with a few other intrepid passengers.

DSC_0001_01.jpg

One of the improvements made to the Magic during its refurb was shade canopies on Deck 10. They sure did come in handy this morning. Not so much for shade, but for protection from the elements, it was cold and drizzly. :cold: Several of us stood under the canopies as we slowly made our way through the fjord. It reminded me very much of going through Tracy Arm in Alaska, except colder and no ice.

DSC_0003_01.jpg

DSC_0012_01.jpg

DSC_0019_01.jpg

The Geirangerfjord is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The 9 mile long fjord is very narrow and we were close to the side of the fjord most of the way in, especially on the starboard side. You can see the shade canopy here. There were about 3 or 4 along each side of deck 10.

DSC_0049_01.jpg

The water is over 800 feet deep. There were waterfalls cascading down the crevices and snowcapped peaks wherever you looked.

DSC_0034_01.jpg

DSC_0042_01.jpg

DSC_0082_01.jpg

DSC_0100_01.jpg

The first major waterfall we came up to was The Seven Sisters. Personally, it wasn’t as impressive as I thought it would be. But in all fairness, they really hadn’t had a spring thaw yet, so run off was late. It was still a beautiful site.

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0108_02.jpg

DSC_0111_02.jpg

The next waterfall directly across from The Seven Sisters was The Suitor. Legend has it that The Suitor tried and failed to court The Seven Sisters. That is why when you look at The Suitor you will see the outline of the bottle he drowned his sorrows in.

DSC_0095_03.jpg

Occasionally you would see a structure on the side of the cliff and wonder how anybody even reached it.

DSC_0114_01.jpg

DSC_0152_01.jpg

Some more scenery of the fjord.

DSC_0128_02.jpg

It didn’t take long after passing these falls that we saw Geiranger. “Just around the river bend” came to mind. :music:

DSC_0140_01.jpg

DSC_0141_01.jpg

DSC_0158_01.jpg

Here’s the Waterfall Walk.

DSC_0166_01.jpg

Eagle Bend Road with its 11 hairpin turns.

DSC_0170_01.jpg

I had spent most of the time near the aft, port side under a canopy. After passing the waterfalls, I made my way up to the front of the ship to watch us coming into Geiranger. It was crowded. DCL had set up a couple of tables with hot drinks, warm breakfast sandwiches, danishes and croissants. I grabbed a croissant as I continued taking pictures.

DSC_0177_01.jpg

It is a picturesque, charming village set at the end of the fjord. I think it boasts only 215 full time residents. They even had to bring tour busses over by Ferry from Ålesund for the cruise passenger tours. I have never seen anything so green and lush as the Geiranger Fjord. Geiranger is a popular resort during the summer and it has many locations for RVs and camping. It also has a couple of large hotels.

DSC_0173_01.jpg

DSC_0181_02.jpg

DSC_0191_02.jpg

DSC_0197_01.jpg

I also saw Brent taking photos and talked to him a bit. I think the entire crew was just awed by the beauty of this fjord. Several of them had come out to watch us come in.

Since Geiranger has no piers large enough for cruise ships, it utilizes the Sea Walk.

DSC_0199_01.jpg

DSC_0210_02.jpg

However, only one ship can use it per day. Basically it is a floating jetty that is driven out to the ship on motorized pontoons. The ship was tied to 2 moorings, one on either end of the ship.

DSC_0232.jpg

I went down to Deck 4 and watched one man with a remote control console move the walking pier to the ship.

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

It takes about 7 minutes from start to finish. Here it is in just over 2 minutes.

I was joined by several crew members who watched with interest. A ramp was then attached to the Deck 1 Aft door and we were set. Fascinating stuff!

The Rotterdam (which joined us in every port) was forced to tender it’s passengers to the pier. In addition, the tender boats had to go all the way around the Magic because the Sea Walk was in their way. (Insert evil laugh here!)

After watching the Sea Walk get connected, I went back to the stateroom for a nice hot shower and then we went to breakfast at Cabanas. We didn’t have to meet our private tour until 9:30 AM.

After breakfast we walked around the ship and took some more photos of this beautiful location.

DSC_0230_01.jpg

DSC_0234_01.jpg

Next: Geiranger Overlooks

Last edited:

Wonderful report :)

We also waw the 'hidden Mickeys' jacket in Alesund (didn't have my size, though, but was very tempted by it...)

I love the pictures of the Magic coming into Geiranger. Geiranger was probably the highlight for us, it was so beautiful in there (despite the rain...) We didn't get up in the morning though (we stayed on deck 10 to see the ship leave in the evening), it looked really beautiful!! It must have been quite magical to be up there, I bet there was a really good atmosphere!!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed trip report with such lovely pictures. With three kids 8 and under home around the clock for summer vacation I've been looking for an escape in the few spare minutes when I get to drink my coffee and I've found it! I'm really enjoying reading about your adventure.

Loving your trip report :)

:flower3: Thank you so much.

Wonderful report :)

We also waw the 'hidden Mickeys' jacket in Alesund (didn't have my size, though, but was very tempted by it...)

I love the pictures of the Magic coming into Geiranger. Geiranger was probably the highlight for us, it was so beautiful in there (despite the rain...) We didn't get up in the morning though (we stayed on deck 10 to see the ship leave in the evening), it looked really beautiful!! It must have been quite magical to be up there, I bet there was a really good atmosphere!!

The jacket was cool. I'm not usually an early riser (evidence to the contrary), but I can't resist being up and about when we come into port! Everybody was very excited to see Geiranger, even the crew.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed trip report with such lovely pictures. With three kids 8 and under home around the clock for summer vacation I've been looking for an escape in the few spare minutes when I get to drink my coffee and I've found it! I'm really enjoying reading about your adventure.

:flower3: Aww, thanks! I'm glad I can bring you a "Calgon" moment with my praddling. :surfweb:

Day 7: Geiranger (Continued) - Geiranger Overlooks

Important information for the day.

DSC_0242c.jpg

When we were cleared to disembark, DCL photographers were there on the Sea Walk ready to take our pictures. It was the best group picture we took the entire trip!

It was extremely windy and a little drizzly. However, we found the Sea Walk to be as stable as any pier on land. It was cool walking across it.

DSC_0250_01.jpg

Here is a cute little café.

DSC_0254_01.jpg

Again, because of the wheelchair, DNC arranged for a private van to take us to the overlooks and up to Mt. Dalsnibba. We met our driver and a 9 passenger van. It started raining as we found our driver and loaded up the van. It was close quarters, but it was wonderful as the driver took us to the various overlooks. He started heading out one side of the village towards Eagle Bend road with these 11 hairpin turns.

DSC_0258_01.jpg

All along the way we had great view of the Magic.

DSC_0260_01.jpg

Some of the countryside on the way up.

DSC_0274_01.jpg

DSC_0277_01.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280_01.jpg

DSC_0283_01.jpg

DSC_0287_01.jpg

Then he stopped at one overlook.

DSC_0289_01.jpg

DSC_0294_01.jpg

Then we reached Eagle’s Bend overlook. This is a beautifully designed overlook, not just a cut out in the road.

DSC_0323_01.jpg

DSC_0328_01.jpg

DSC_0329_02.jpg

DSC_0337_01.jpg

DSC_0342_01.jpg

We had several minutes here to take pictures by ourselves before a tour bus unloaded.

We had to go back through Geiranger to get up to Mt. Dalsnibba. We stopped at the Flydalsjuvet overlook after going back through town.

DSC_0351_01.jpg

DSC_0357_01.jpg

It was touch and go on whether the road to Mt. Dalsnibba would be open. They started clearing the road in May and had to suspend operations because of avalanches. I was watching ICruiser’s thread on Cruise Critic and he let us know that the road opened about a week before we got here. The higher we climbed, the less visibility there was to the bottom of the fjord.

DSC_0369_01.jpg

Once we made our way up the winding road with the snow piled 8 feet high on the sides of the road, we couldn’t tell where the snow ended and the sky began.

DSC_0375_02.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

Helicopter tours were going on.

DSC_0377_02.jpg

We got to the top and actually got snowed on. DD and DH even had a snowball fight. I was expecting “Marshmallow” to come out at any time to defend Elsa’s ice castle.

DSC_0382.jpg

We encountered another troll.

DSC_0389c.jpg

After our overlook tour we were dropped back into town near the pier. We passed this tour bus on the way back down. You can see how high the snow is actually piled.

DSC_0395_01.jpg

Next: Waterfall Walk

Wow look at that snow! What great photos! Thanks for sharing...I am enjoying following along!

Can't get the quote thing to work...
"In Alaska, I had a picture matte made with “ALASKA” in big letters and placed pictures of DD with the characters in their Alaskan attire within the cut out letters. It turned out really cute, so I made another one with “NORWAY” hoping to do the same thing."

Where did you find the matte or have it made? I would love to do that. On the Wonder I saw one hanging in one of the main hallways shaped like a cruise ship but instead of pictures, they used Disney pins to fill it up. I tucked that idea away for later (maybe with a tri circle Mickey head).

Love your trip report!

Can't get the quote thing to work...
"In Alaska, I had a picture matte made with “ALASKA” in big letters and placed pictures of DD with the characters in their Alaskan attire within the cut out letters. It turned out really cute, so I made another one with “NORWAY” hoping to do the same thing."

Where did you find the matte or have it made? I would love to do that. On the Wonder I saw one hanging in one of the main hallways shaped like a cruise ship but instead of pictures, they used Disney pins to fill it up. I tucked that idea away for later (maybe with a tri circle Mickey head).

Love your trip report!

Thanks for reading. I PMd you on the photo matte.

Your pictures are so beautiful!!

My parents also went up to Mt Dalsnibba (with one of the Disney adventures), they told me about the snow but I haven't seen their pictures yet. It's impressive :eek: !! We went on a different excursion and had some snow by the road, but nothing quite like that...

Great pictures of the Eagle Bend viewpoint. We were there with a couple of buses :crowded: Still, views from up there were stunning.

I'm really loving your report, this was one of the best holidays and experiences we've ever had, and I'm really re-living it thanks to you :cloud9:

Day 7: Geiranger (Continued) – Waterfall Walk

There were few places to eat in town and most of them were already crowded. Everybody but DH and I had booked a rib boat tour at 2:00 PM. So, we all decided to head back onboard for a quick lunch.

After lunch, we all got back off the ship. Everybody else headed to their rib boat tour.

All passengers were required to wear these dry suits on the rib boat.

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

DD had a great time and got a couple of great pictures from under the waterfalls.

IMG_3931.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

Meanwhile, DH and I headed towards the Waterfall Walk. Originally, I had planned to walk up the road to the Fjord Center and then walk down the steps at the Waterfall Walk. However, we didn’t realize how the road climbed and turned, so we decided just to walk up the steps. It was worth it.

I love this shed with the flowers on the roof.

DSC_0399_03.jpg

We made our way towards the walk.

P1040315.jpg

P1040317.jpg

DSC_0403_01.jpg

DSC_0405_01.jpg

We also had nice views of the ship.

DSC_0408_01.jpg

The views were amazing and the waterfall which started way up at the peaks was breathtaking.

DSC_0410_01.jpg

DSC_0415_01.jpg

DSC_0432_01.jpg

Did I mention we had great views of the Magic.

DSC_0439_02.jpg

DSC_0477_01.jpg

We made it to the top and saw this whimsical lawn ornament.

DSC_0483.jpg

Another great view of the Magic.

DSC_0485_01.jpg

We eventually made out way to the Fjord Center where we went in and had a hot cocoa and used the facilities. It was lightly raining at this point, but too windy for an umbrella.

DSC_0505_01.jpg

We made our way back down to town to meet DD after her tour.

DSC_0512_01.jpg

DSC_0514_01.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

On the way, we discovered the chocolate shop. There was a constant line for the chocolate.

DSC_0523_01.jpg

We picked out a few chocolate postcards and went to find DD. We must have passed them because when we backtracked, they were in line at the chocolate shop. We took DD and went shopping. I wanted to get postcard stamps so I could mail some postcards to friends and family back home. Tomorrow would be my last chance to mail them from Norway. DNC, DNJ, DNDDC and DNDDM headed towards the waterfall walk before heading back onboard.

As we were walking near the pier, I saw a lot of people congregated in front of the souvenir shop. Can you say “free Wi-Fi”? Come on people, you’re in one of the most beautiful places on earth, disconnect already! :sad2: :rolleyes:

DSC_0526.jpg

Do you wanna build a snowman? Somebody did.

DSC_0531_01.jpg

DSC_0535_01.jpg

Continued on next page.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter