Our great family trip to Universal 4/17 to 4/22

jenrose66

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I have been very excited to post a trip report and it looks like I will finally have some time now that work has settled down and my DH has returned from his out of town business trip...but I digress.

The traveling party consisted of myself (Jen, 34 and lover of all things Orlando), DH (Jake, 36 says every year that we are going to take a break from Florida theme park vacations but we never do), DS 9 who is tall enough for everything but only gets as daring as the Hippogriff coaster, DS 7 who just hit 48 inches and can't wait to be tall enough for Rip Ride Rocket, and DD 5 lover of all things Hello Kitty and chief complainer about walking.

We stayed at Portofino Bay for the first time and all I can say is WOW! Everyone in the family loved it and can't wait to stay there again. I will come back later to post more about our trip, but alas, work calls so I will leave this installment with a picture:

IMG_2150.JPG

What a pretty picture of the Portofino.

NIce start to your report. Looks like you had nice weather too!

My initial intent was to write this trip report chronologically and to keep daily trip notes of what we did and take pictures of all the food and snacks we ate. I really appreciate all the time people put into their reports and I wanted to put something really nice together for others to enjoy. It didn't quite work out as I planned...my family will not wait for me to photograph food and we packed so much into our days that by the time we got back to the hotel everyone pretty much passed out!

I think instead I'm going to do a few installments on different topics...kind of like a mix of what we did, what we ate, etc...I think I will start with the boring stuff first, like how we got there.

As a side note, we got a puppy for my birthday. He's a cockapoo and his name is Darwin. He's totally adorable and we love him to bits. We weren't going to take him to Florida, but we left him in the very capable hands of my sister in law. Here's a cute pic of Darwin:

12491978_857739557671932_3718034917068263105_o.jpg

That picture is a couple months old, but it's one of my favorites. He's about 20 pounds currently but still super cute. I was nervous about leaving the dog, but when it came time for him to go DD was legit devastated as my next picture shows:
IMG_2094.JPG

A quick call to my sister in law so she could promise DD *again* that they would take good care of the dog and we were back on track to be excited about vacation!

We flew down bright and early in the morning on a non stop Southwest flight. I really like Southwest. I actually really liked JetBlue too but now that they charge for bags they are dead to me :snooty:. I get a little stressed about not having assigned seats, but I always log on at 24 hours before the flight and going there we had early B's and going home we had mid A's.

As far as transportation, I used the great advice on this board and booked Tony Hinds for transportation. This is the second year in a row that we've used him and they are great. We weren't even off the plane the driver was calling me to let me know that he was there. They don't rush you, they are just always prompt and very helpful and friendly and professional. The trip back to the airport went just as smooth. The same driver was there to pick us up 10 minutes earlier then scheduled. Their prices can't be beat and even with the generous tip I left each way it was still cheaper than other towncar options out there. Heck, when I eventually go back to Disney I may forgo the magical express and use Tony Hinds for my transportation to Disney as well.

So when we landed it was beautiful and sunny and warm. Everything Florida should be. Pulling up to this hotel is just as spectacular as everyone says it is. There is helpful staff there waiting to help you with your bags. Check is was efficient and friendly. I had absolutely no complaints. This segment feels like it's getting really long, plus all three of my kids have decided it's time to hold concurrent conversations with me while I'm trying to type, so I will leave you with some lobby pics until my next installment:

IMG_2101.JPG 0417161106.jpg 0417161107a.jpg

Great start! Loved the "Jet Blue is dead to me" and I feel your pain on the food pics. My hungry guys have usually inhaled half their food before I get the camera out :o

Can't wait to read more!

What a beautiful hotel! We are looking for a place to stay for a couple of nights for our trip next year (combined with 5 nights at WDW) so think we'll look into the Portofino <3 And Darwin is absolutely adorable! My aunt had a cockapoo years ago and she was the most loving little doggie. What a sad pic of your daughter :sad: It broke my heart!!

I think that I'll stick with the rest of the hotel review for my next installment:

We got to the hotel around noonish. Our room was not ready but we stored our bags with bell services, printed our express passes, and headed out for lunch at Cowfish (more on that later), then to the parks for rides! Our room was ready at 3:45 and we headed back to the hotel around 4. We were in the East Wing on the 4th floor. I know people mention that this hotel is large and spread out, but I didn't find it so bad. We were probably in one of the farthest locations from the main pool, and at first it felt funny walking across the piazza in our suits, but we got over that quick as we used the pools a lot! So we got into our room and I was floored by how big it was. For reference we have stayed at values, moderates, family suites, and even a couple night stay at YC in Disney, we also stayed at RPR last year and this is by far the largest hotel room I've every stayed in. I took a bunch of pics when we got there but I don't think they do the size of the room justice:
IMG_2120.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2122.JPG

The room was impeccably clean, house keeping was great. Our hotel floor was incredibly quiet. We didn't hear any outside noise. Bell Service was fantastic as well. By the time we got to our room we were beat so we called bell service to deliver our luggage because we didn't feel like lugging it ourselves. The man who brought it to our room was originally from our hometown! We had a really nice conversation and when he was leaving he asked if he could get us anything like ice or a complimentary fridge. I told him I didn't realize the fridges were free and he said that they were for us. We thanked him profusely and sure enough when we came back from swimming there was a fridge set up in our room. It really came in handy to store left over food and drinks. We thought that was a really nice touch.

So let's talk parks. I used to be a Disney fanatic. Loved everything Disney and never had a desire to visit Universal. Even as a huge Harry Potter fan, when they opened the wizarding world I thought, "too bad it's not at Disney" and then figured I'd visit someday but was in no hurry. Then, I guess, I fell a little out of love with Disney. I guess between the crazy long lines and super expensive hotels and declining service...after a less than stellar 2014 trip that left me feeling "meh" and finally getting my son into the Harry Potter series I was starting to give a Universal vacation some serious thought.

Anyway, I needn't have worried because I find the Universal Parks to be on par with Disney theming wise and an excellent value as well. They have areas that appeal to everyone in my family and if someone doesn't want to ride, the child swap areas are great.

We spent a lot of time at Universal Studio's this time. I think all three of my kids' favorite rides are The Simpson's ride and the Minion Mayhem ride. I lost track of how many times we rode each of those rides. Another big reason we were anxious to get into US:

IMG_2116.JPG

DD saw this store and it was like she was "home"! During our stay we came away with a variety of HK tattoos, a HK sucker, a HK hat, and HK bookbag, HK ringpops (two bags because DS 7 wanted to bring some home for his little girlfriend at school), HK magnets, an HK x-mas ornament, and an HK travel mug (for me). I know lots of people aren't enthused about this store but we really enjoyed it. All the props and stuff were fun and the staff working there was really friendly and engaging. When DS proudly told the cashier the one bag of ring pops was for his girlfriend she made a big deal out of putting an extra bag in our bag and saying it was a nice unwrinkled one that he can put her present in when he gets home so she can have her own Universal bag.

IMG_2117.JPG For all the time we spent at that store we never got to participate in the Hello Kitty meet and greet. DD tried to get in line twice and both times they were just cutting the line off, and every other time we were around there she was never out.

Another new thing we did this year was Animal Actors. My family usually isn't a big "show" family. I can never convince the kids they want to sit still and take a break. However, we timed going into the Animal show for like 5 minutes before it started and it worked out. Oldest DS likes birds so he was excited there would be birds. They have trivia going across the screens that kept the kids engaged and it was just a comfortable fun spot to relax. We all really enjoyed the show and I kind of wish we would have saw it a second time. If you haven't seen it, take the time to check it out, it doesn't disappoint.

We also watched the Horror Make Up show. The kids were iffy on this but they liked it ok. They didn't like the surprise at the end and it was a one and done for us.

DD really likes the superstar parade and we watched it a couple times. It's nice because you can just kind of come upon the parade...no need to stake out a spot and fight a ton of crowds. I think they can do without the Hop characters though....

I have to make mention of something that I really enjoyed in the Springfield area of the park:

IMG_2487.JPG I'm one of those people that was sad when Disney got rid of their themed napkins. Universal gives me themed napkins! Sometimes it's the little things. There are tons of great details in Springfield. We really enjoy the artwork in the food area. Me and DS's stared at the mural with all the characters on the wall for quite a while looking at all the different ones and remembering what episodes they were from. Older DS played one of the carnival games in the area with DH and was super excited to pick a little purple panda for DD. I thought that was sweet, vacation brings out the best in the kids sometimes.

The MIB ride was another ride the kids really enjoyed. That one isn't my favorite. I mean it's ok, but I don't feel the need to ride it multiple times. Good thing DH didn't mind riding it more than once :)

This has been a pretty kid centric post as far as rides are concerned so I guess I will finish this installment with more things the kids enjoyed and my next installment with be on mine and DH's favorites and Diagon Alley!

So the Fivel play area was a hit with the kids. They really enjoyed the water slide and did that multiple times. DH and I were happy to take a break and sit in the shade while they played. It's a good way for them to blow off some steam and then we don't feel guilty making them sit in child swap while we enjoy some of the more thrilling rides. That area also has the Woody Woodpecker coaster which is fun for little ones. We liked riding ET as well. I love the end of the ride when you return to ET's home. So cute.

A few more pics until next time:

IMG_2193.JPG IMG_2485.JPG

Loving your trip report!!!
Also that pic of your dd crying from leaving the dog is adorable and I know her pain. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I look like every time we drop my chocolate lab off at boarding:sad1:. On the other hand he can't get away from me fast enough and doesn't even look back while he runs off to play with the other dogs ...so it's kind of a one sided thing.:rotfl:

I also was completely shocked by how big the Portifino rooms are. Well, not so much the room though it was big.. but the bathroom. It was enormous. We've stayed at all levels of Disney resort, Cabana Bay, RPR, and offsite condos... Portifino wins for biggest bathroom!

Last edited:
Loving your trip report!!!
Also that pic of your dd crying from leaving the dog is adorable and I know her pain. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I look like every time we drop my chocolate lab off at boarding:sad1:. On the other hand he can't get away from me fast enough and doesn't even look back while he runs off to play with the other dogs ...so it's kind of a one sided thing.:rotfl:

I also was completely shocked by how big the Portifino rooms are. Well, not so much the room though it was big.. but the bathroom. It was enormous. We've stayed at all levels of Disney resort, Cabana Bay, RPR, and offsite condos... Portion wins for biggest bathroom!

If me and DH wanted to talk without the kids butting in we just went in the bathroom and shut the door. It felt like having a suite. I jokingly suggested we put the air mattress in there.

Joining in! Thanks for the trip report. We are planning our first trip to Universal this fall. Mostly for HP, but really ODS loves JP, Simpsons, super heroes, and ODS and DD love minions and Shrek.
Can't wait for more :)

Another new thing we did this year was Animal Actors. My family usually isn't a big "show" family. I can never convince the kids they want to sit still and take a break. However, we timed going into the Animal show for like 5 minutes before it started and it worked out. Oldest DS likes birds so he was excited there would be birds. They have trivia going across the screens that kept the kids engaged and it was just a comfortable fun spot to relax. We all really enjoyed the show and I kind of wish we would have saw it a second time. If you haven't seen it, take the time to check it out, it doesn't disappoint.

Loving this report! And this review is enough to make me think that Animal Actors should definitely be considered for our upcoming trip!!

Loving this report! And this review is enough to make me think that Animal Actors should definitely be considered for our upcoming trip!!
I really liked it! Sorry it's been so long since I updated I have been really busy but I'm determined to finish!

How'd I miss this???

Fantastic start to your trip.......that is a cute, cute dog......and your daughter is adorable!!

Loving your report already.......nice pictures and yes, the little things are special too.......

Look forward to catching up when you add more.......:)

Ok, so I know it's been a while, but I hope you'll get back into this report with me. My computer time has been seriously suffering lately...I'm in complete DIS withdrawl!

I want to take some time to discuss some rides DH and I really enjoy. Unfortunately, we can't ride them together just yet, but with the Express Pass and child swap it doesn't take a ton of time to enjoy the attractions and move on.

One of our favorite rides is The Mummy! Sadly, I only rode it once this trip, but that is a ride I'd love to do multiple times in a row. So fun. It's not super intense...just very enjoyable.

Another ride we both did was Rip Ride Rocket. Man that first hill! I think I'm getting old :rotfl:
I always enjoy the ride once I'm on it...my middle DS is really excited to ride this when he hits the height. I know it's perfectly safe, but the thought of putting my kids on a coaster that big is harrowing.

I rode Dragon Challenge this time. I was legit dizzy after that one. DH opted out of that and instead rode the Hippogriff coaster with the kids....again and again and again. They love that ride so much! It does give a nice view, and with Express Pass it's an easy on and off.

Compared to last year, I really enjoyed River Adventure. Last year we brought all the kids on with us and it terrified them. Seeing as how they loved Splash Mountain, I figured they'd like it, but you know, the whole almost dying by Dinosaur attack wasn't their cup of tea. It was a completely different experience this time around. I actually got to experience the ride instead of feeling like worst mother of the year. That drop is intense but so fun.

I was hoping to have a ride partner for Forbidden Journey this year, but it wasn't meant to be. We all walked as a family through the Castle once and did child swap. I could live in Hogwarts. I just love everything about it and feel that the line is equally as fun as the attraction. However, the rest of my family is fine going thru once, so even though I rode Forbidden Journey a bunch of times, after that first time thru the castle, it was the single rider line for me.

I'm thinking that's pretty much all we did that I'd consider adult centered this trip. As much as I love my family vacations I'd really like to get to Universal with just DH to do Halloween Horror Nights, I think it would be fun to spend the day moving at a quicker pace and hitting all our favorite rides and then spending the night going thru the haunted houses. I'm trying to convince him that a weekend getaway is feasable this October, but he does not agree. In his defense we did just get back from a weekend in NYC. It was our 12 year anniversary on 7/3 so we went down just the two of us and took in a nice dinner and Broadway Show. Then we spent a day exploring...we did a double decker bus tour and the Empire State Building. It was nice.

I apologize for the lack of pictures in this update. We didn't take a ton of pics and as I'm going thru my vacation pictures I see I didn't take any of any of the attractions I just wrote about. Don't fret! there will be pics in the next post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter