Our First Trip to Hilton Head, Y'all! We are SOLD!

Coming onboard to hear all about your trip.....HH, along with Aulani, are the only DVC resorts we have not visited.

Now that SW flies to Charleston, we just may make it up that way. Would have to rent a car from there.
Or is it closer to Raleigh??

Best airport is Savannah. It's an hour from airport to resort from there.

So glad you are enjoying your trip so far. HHI is the BEST!!! It took us exactly 1 trip to get "addonitis" and we purchased points last fall. Can't wait to see B'Lou (who is the best) in a little over a month!!!

Your trip report is getting me super excited. Keep it coming!!!! :cool1:

You MUST check out Nick's Seafood down the street from the resort!!!! Its truly Steelers Nation!!! Not to mention great food!

Look forward to your report!:goodvibes

Best airport is Savannah. It's an hour from airport to resort from there.

Thanks for the information. Since I almost always fly SW and have at least 10 free round trips and a companion pass from them coming, I was trying to find the nearest airport that SW flies to.

Thanks for the information. Since I almost always fly SW and have at least 10 free round trips and a companion pass from them coming, I was trying to find the nearest airport that SW flies to.

Between Charleston and Raleigh, I'd definitely fly into Charleston. It's only a little over 100 miles from Charleston to HHI, while it's over 300 miles from Raleigh to HHI.

Greensburg/Spartanburg airport would actually be closer than Raleigh. And it might not be a bad option if flights into Charleston are too expensive. It's about 2 1/2 hours from Charleston to HHI (not on interstate, that's why it takes so long for only about 100 hours), 4 1/2 hours from Spartanburg and 5 1/2 hours from Raleigh.

I'm subscribing! Brand new to DVC and are on the fence between VB and HHI for next summer, so I can't wait to read your report!:goodvibes Like others have said, I can already tell that I too love your writing style!

Susan
Get off the fence, HHI beats VB hands down,(IMHO of course). HH beach much bigger and better, more to do in HH. Vero is a beautiful resort though and is right on the beach. Also unless you own at HHI it may be hard to get a ressie for the summer.

Thanks for all the kind comments! I'll try to answer as many questions as I can then back to the report. . .

First, our room was 1211, a one bedroom villa! That's right those who know your numbering schemes, we had the first room in the first building on the first floor!

Pros: REALLY close to the front desk for unlimited coffee (amazing in the morning. PLUS it wasn't that swill Disney calls coffee at WDW!), unlimited lemonade in the afternoon, and a pool table in the library off the check-in area. Underground parking which kept the ol' minivan nice and cool when we needed it. GREAT balcony with tall, old oaks for shade that made a PERFECT spot for reading on a hot day! Cool and relaxing! REALLY close to the shuttle to the beach house. My DS 12 used the shuttle a few times and found the room to be a perfect walk. The room was HUGE and well appointed! Lots of windows to let the sunshine in and the marshland moon in. We think we had a handicap room, but not really sure as we did not get a look at any other rooms.

Cons: Somewhat of a long walk to the pool, the rentals, and the pier. Nothing ridiculous. I tend to be optimistic, so in my mind, the walk also made sure we could walk across the GORGEOUS boardwalk over the marsh area.
IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

There is so much shade at HHI, that the walk was great. For somebody else though, it may have been an issue.

As you can tell, the pros far outweighed the cons. All in all, a GREAT room! That's our room right above Bambi:

IMG_1227.jpg

Back to the report. . . . . .

While the 2 year-old slept, I headed to the Piggly Wiggly close by for groceries for the week. We committed to eating many of our meals "in" and we wanted to get stocked-up before our vacation was in full swing. I found the Pig to be somewhat expensive and limited, but workable. Here's what $170 in groceries looks like:

IMG_1218.jpg

A bit expensive, but still cheaper than eating out everyday. They general schedule for the week was: eat B-fast in the room (Dad always makes Bacon at least twice when staying at a DVC resort), make sandwiches for the beach, come home around 1 for DS 2 nap, then take part in the late afternoon activities. Dad cooks dinner, then it's fun, fun, fun around the resort. A great plan from my DW and it worked perfectly. We did eat out a couple of times, and I'll give you the scoop on the places we did try. . . .

As I was bringing the food in, I was met by my DW and DS 2 saying hello to Shadow and B'Lou. Those who have never been, Shadow is the mascot of HHI and B'Lou is the local "flavor" filled with stories, magic, and great songs.
IMG_1222.jpg

Shadow is a cutie and B'Lou just helps to "melt away" the stress on the other side of the magnetic gates. I could just sit and listen to B'Lou tell the stories of the islands and talk to my sons all day. If Shadow is the mascot, B'Lou is the heart and soul of that resort. Just LOVED him.

While DS 12 was taking part in the "Teen Hoops" happening on the B-Ball court, DW and I got things put away. We decided to do a quick check of the beach house while we waited for the campfire to start at 8. The mile long trip is SUPER SIMPLE to get to. The fact that it is gated and only for Disney guests is truly magical!
IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

I have to tell you, that first glimpse of the ocean made the 10 hour drive worth every minute!
IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

And of course, watching the DS 2 step in ocean water for the first time is truly magical!
IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

Wow! If this is what it looks like around 6, imagine what it looks like in the morning and afternoon!

When we returned, we headed down to the campfire for S'mores and songs.
IMG_1266.jpg

Quick question for everyone. . . . Why does smoke always go where you are sitting? It must be the beauty of my DW, because it followed us EVERYWHERE!
IMG_1272.jpg

I have to tell you. . . .I've seen bigger campfires made by Weebloes at a Cub Scout retreat. Actually, I've seen bigger fires in my backyard when my neighbor is illegally burning his trash for the week. . . But hey, the spirit was there. The fact that the cast members were trying to keep it going with a plastic lid only made the whole scene REALLY funny to me. Disney is a multi-billion corporation and their cast members have to resort to a plastic lid? Really?

Of course, I am a guy, so I believe that the size of a campfire is a direct indication of your ability as a Neanderthal to keep your family safe and warm. . . This group of cast members working this pitiful fire would have been eaten by a baby Wooly Mammoth with the size of that fire! But I digress. . . .

The songs were fine, but, we left before the S'Mores came out. The smoke was really quite annoying and the DS 2 had enough of wheezing from the smoke, coughing from the smoke, and trying to "shake it all around" with blurred vision from the smoke. . . "
IMG_1291.jpg

My DS 12 seemed a little bored as well as the activity is more suited for the 4 to 10 year old crowd.
IMG_1276.jpg

Not a criticism at all, just an observation. My DS 12 did stick around for the "Movies Under the Oaks" and really enjoyed himself.

But wait!. . . . . Just as DW, DS 2 and I were getting up to leave, here is the sight we saw:
IMG_1289.jpg

Truly, a cherry on top of a delicious sundae called the second day! I was falling in love with this place slowly but surely! So was my DW. But I had no idea how deeply we would fall in love until the second and third day. . . . .

Coming soon. . . .!

Shadow is just the sweetest, gentlest, most PATIENT dog I've ever met. When I think about the insurance and chances Disney takes-I mean, I've seen [what I thought] was the nicest dog nip when she's suddenly spooked and had her tail stepped on by an over-zealous child. Yet, it seems like nothing fazes Shadow-she just sits and chills. I know you said you're eating in a lot, but if you want to go out and need ideas, Gordon in the Mercantile is a great resource-he knows good food! Say Hi to him and Dottie for us-we'll see them again at Thanksgiving.
Any cookies in the lobby?

Why did I subscribe? This TR is making me so sad that we have had to cancel 2 HHI trips! OP, your report is so fine!

Those that love B'Lou and Shadow, please let DVC know. Don't ever take for granted they know what members like.

We don't want to lose them due to lack of member feedback.

Loving your report but sorry had to laugh that you thought the walk from your room to the pool and dock were somewhat far. We don't consider anything there too far, it is a really small resort.

Thanks for the photos.

Shadow is just the sweetest, gentlest, most PATIENT dog I've ever met. When I think about the insurance and chances Disney takes-I mean, I've seen [what I thought] was the nicest dog nip when she's suddenly spooked and had her tail stepped on by an over-zealous child. Yet, it seems like nothing fazes Shadow-she just sits and chills. I know you said you're eating in a lot, but if you want to go out and need ideas, Gordon in the Mercantile is a great resource-he knows good food! Say Hi to him and Dottie for us-we'll see them again at Thanksgiving.
Any cookies in the lobby?
Gordon has had some health issues (appendix I think) and won't be back for a couple of weeks - although he is chomping at the bit to get back to work.

Shadow is an amazing dog. It's apparent that B'Lou has done a marvelous job training her.

The resort is at capacity again this week!

We've (DH, DS14, DD12 and I) been to HHI twice now -- once three years ago when our school calendar let us go Labor Day week and this May when our new school calendar let us go Memorial Day week. We love the resort, and if I can ever get enough cash together to add-on, HHI is on the short list (along with a Poly DVC if they ever build one!). The first time I wrote a letter to the management of the resort to let them know how much we loved B'Lou, this last time I got smarter and wrote to Member Satisfaction. I did get a call back letting me know that they appreciated knowing how much B'Lou means to the members, so by all means, keep those letters coming!

Get off the fence, HHI beats VB hands down,(IMHO of course). HH beach much bigger and better, more to due in HH. Vero is a beautiful resort though and is right on the beach. Also unless you own at HHI it may be hard to get a ressie for the summer.
I'm open to either resort--HHI or VB as long as I can get a reservation!:worship: I did notice that it seems on the DIS that HHI is more popular in the summer than VB, so I figured it would possibly be easier to get a ressie at VB. Plus, we've flown into Orlando so many times now that I feel comfortable with the car rental, how to get around, etc. HHI would take a few more points too, I believe, so we'll see what MS tells me they have available when I finally reach that 7 month mark.:goodvibes Sounds like I should avoid HHI or my addonitis might kick in and get me in trouble!:rotfl:

Susan

Can't wait to read more of your report. HHI is not our home resort but calling EXACTLY at 7 months out was the trick to getting the ressie we wanted. We haven't been there since 2005. Would love to see a current schedule of activities.

Oh yeah, we also stayed at the main building. The walk is manageable (but we didn't have a two year old with us!) but there were other conveniences. We hope we stay there again this time.

Finally, thanks for the Steelers nation locales, a definite plus in determining where to eat. Talked with an acquaintance who lives there full time. Says the chicken fingers at the Publix are great.

I'm enjoying your trip report! My family and I are going to HHI at the end of July and I feel just like you did...how can I have a vacation without all the WDW planning? Please keep your report going, I'm getting some great ideas for things to do with my kiddos (dd 8 and ds 5). Keep it coming...

Ooops! Sorry ... I missed that nuance. :rolleyes1 Good luck!

Thanks for all of the feedback! I just want to clear up something. My trip report is from LAST week (Father's Day week). We have since returned to the land of crabs and terrapins. . . . I appreciate all of your suggestions for our next trip. I hope those reading and following will heed the advice of those commenting! Some GREAT suggestions! :thumbsup2

Now, on to the report!

I think this day is a wonderful example of the diverse offerings at HHI. For those of you who think HHI will be boring, read on. . . . For those of you who already know "the best kept secret" in DVC read on with pleasure. . . .

We tend to wake-up early in our family (like 6:30 in the summertime) so when we actually slept-in until 7:30, that's a HUGE success for us! I woke up, made pancakes and bacon (a family tradition when at a DVC resort), then we headed to the Beach House for a morning/lunch on the beach.
IMG_1253.jpg

We arrived at 9:30 and hoped for a parking space. . . . No problem at 9:30! Got a great spot under the beach house so our car stayed nice and cool! :thumbsup2 Can I let everybody on a HUGE secret no matter where you are DVC related (WDW, HHI, DL, etc.). . . . . GET THERE EARLY AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY! The beach was ours for choosing a spot, setting up the sport-brella purchased at Costco (a GREAT buy, by the way if you need shade for the little ones), and letting the kids go in the water. Temperature was warm as was the water. Of course, the dead jellyfish all over the beach was a bit disheartening, but, hey it's nature. . . . We were told by somebody that "those kind of jellyfish don't sting". . . . I thought to myself, "Of course they don't. . . .They're dead. . . . . "
IMG_1321.jpg

Children played for about 2 hours while we "attempted" to do some reading. It's hard to just sit and read while my DS 2 is playing on the beach. Can't wait until he gets a bit older. . .
IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Now listen, I'm a former ADHD kid (Ritalin child) and I was so worried about just "sitting there." But I challenge ANYBODY to be stressed listening to the ocean waves and watching the grandeur of the ocean. I understand the TRUE power of nature. It truly is magical that no ride can ever recreate. It's one of those things you have to experience to be able to talk about. Sorry, it's just the way it is. Kind of like marriage. . . . .

At about 12, the heat index warning went up and we left the beach to go swim/eat lunch at the Beach House! Boy, did we pass a LOT of people trying to get on the beach. . . . Did I mention the whole "early" thing. . .

Wow! The pool here is absolutely PERFECT! We found the water temperature at the resort pool to be like bath water. This pool temperature is absolutely cool and relaxing. It's PERFECT! Not too warm, not too cold. It truly is refreshing on a hot day! Found a great table, ate, then defied mothers everywhere and swam right afterwards! No two hours for us!!! We're on vacation! Let the cramps come if they want. If I'm going, it's going to be in a Disney pool oceanside! You got a better way?

My DS 12 got involved with a good volleyball game in the pool and asked to stay. With Disney, no problem. Grab the shuttle out front and we will see you back at the resort. So with baby napping at 2, DW and I sat out on the balcony of the resort and did some serious reading The Water is Wide for me, a Nora Roberts novel for DW. One of the great things about HHI is the amount of shade 100 year old oaks give you. Yes, it was hot (heat index of 107), but in the shade it was actually quite comfortable outside reading and sipping on a free lemonade.

At 3:30, my DS 12 returned and we decided to attend B'Lou's "Ghosts and Legends of the Low Country." One of the best choices we made all week! I'm a HS teacher so I am always impressed when ANYBODY can keep the attention of a tweens and teenagers. . . . B'Lou kept an audience of adults, teens, tweens, and children ENTHRALLED with his tales of the area for almost an hour. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT! A true storyteller in the mode of Tom Bodett or Garrison Keillor. The reason I love Disney is for these little "finds" that seem inconsequential at the time that turn into something, well, magical. My DS 12 absolutely adored B'Lou and his tales. Who would have thought that just looking at the schedule. You really have to experience it. . . . 'Nuff said Y'all. . . .

After a dinner of burgers on the grill (there are charcoal grills and hammocks EVERYWHERE in the resort) we headed over to catch Shannon Tanner at Shelter Cove. Although not employed by Disney in any way, this is a GREAT place for families with children old and young. It's in a great little theater and Mr. Tanner could not have been anymore entertaining for the entire family!
IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

Look at all the children on the stage sitting nicely. . . Can you find my son. . . ?
IMG_1308.jpg

Shannon is a great entertainer, very engaging, and a perfect way to round out a day at HHI. Trust me, you will have a smile on your face the whole time!

We left the show at 7:30, put the DS 2 in bed for the night, and my son and I did some late night swimming at the pool. Now if that wasn't a great, relaxing day, what is? Walking back, with the marsh alive with great sounds, and a nice breeze blowing on the boardwalk, and the smell of salt water in the air. . . Honestly, can it get any better than this?

As I was walking through the resort, I felt a bad case of Addoninitis coming on VERY strongly. I should have known when I walked into the room at 10:00 with my wife looking at points charts and "The Timeshare Store" website that she had Addoninitis as well. . . . Maybe it's in the water. . . .

Next report: Why you really should just eat anywhere but Disney while at HHI. . . . .

Gosh I am loving this report! I did an add-on in 2000 after I visited HHI for the first time. Your writing style is great - I can't wait for the next segment.

Loving the TR! We are contemplating doing and add-on at HHI (via resale) and we haven't even been yet. The plan is to head down to HHI for a week next year, and if we love it (as much as you did) buy a contract.

For us, the drive is about 9 hours. Very doable in one day! The goal is to buy a full HHI contract and take a vacation every 6 months. Summer in HHI, Winter in WDW.

We load up the Honda minivan and head south down 270, through the beltway, then on to 95. First thing you learn. . . DO NOT TAKE I-495 and I-95 through DC!!!! :mad: We left early and even doing that the traffic on the beltway and through Fredericksburg should be an embarrassment to civil engineers everywhere! :mad:

For future reference, it will save you a headache to take US-15 South to US-17 South to I-95. US-15 and US-17 are two lanes, but US-17 intersects with I-95 at Fredricksburg thus missing both DC and NOVA traffic.

We did a resale add on (2) because of one 2 night visit there! We're looking forward to a 2012 summertime visit with the family.

Bobbi:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter