Our first MNSSHP - August 29, 2017

HHMcG

DIS Veteran
Tuesday, August 29, 2017 (Predicted as the least busy party, but I think they miscalculated these August crowds)

We are:
Me – C3PO – 44
DH – Chewbacca – 48
DD – Princess Leia – 11
DS – Han Solo – 9
DS – R2D2 – 6

IMG_4327.JPG

Note:
This was our one and only day at Disney this trip. It was a Universal trip with MNSSHP added on. So our priorities (rides) may be different than others.
Before the trip I had gotten each family member to pick their top priority for the party. I even made up little ballots for them to choose from. We chose – parade, villain show (2 votes), rides and trick or treating. Characters were not a priority! Also Magic Shots were not a priority, while fun we rarely by the pictures. So I wasn’t willing to invest much time on this.

ETA: We had a low key day leading up to the party. Checked into Contemporary and then boated over to Wilderness Lodge, explored and had a hearty lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Last edited:
We were staying at CR and walked out of our room at 3:26, 11mins behind my schedule. So we didn’t stop for a group costume picture like I hoped. We got in line at MK at 3:40, crowds were in front of us.
IMG_4315.JPG
While we waited DH got a picture of the kids in front of the pumpkins and train station. It wasn’t a long wait as they started letting us in at 3:48. By 3:52 we were through the tapstyle and had party bands. (NOTE: Ask them to put on the party band a little looser. Multiple people in my family complained about it cutting into their wrist throughout the night.)
IMG_4316.JPG
Since we hadn’t gotten a group shot yet, we went immediately to the Photopass Photographer by the flagpole.
IMG_4320.JPG
Then I led my family to the bypass. There were CM’s holding signs towards the bypass but no one mentioned it or pointed it out to us. I could see the possibility of missing it. We got our treat bags and starter candy and did one more PP picture. DD also really liked the inflatables, especially the M&Ms.
IMG_4322.JPG
We didn’t see any draw to the statues in the bypass so went right by them. We were out of the bypass at 4:00

It was HOT & SUNNY at this point. We filled up our water bottles and had a restroom break. Then headed to our first fp – Tomorrowland Speedway (3:25-4:25). This is a family favorite and what they picked for their third fp. We were on the ride by 4:20. Then headed straight to our second fp – Seven Dwarves Mine Train (4:25-5:25).

After both rides it was close to 5pm. We split up and DH & DD went to Westward Ho in Frontierland to get me a pumpkin popcorn bucket (my top priority) and DSs and I went to Big Top Souvenirs. I did not like how BTS was set up. The party exclusive merchandise was roped off but they made it difficult to shop for other merchandise. Oh well. The only party exclusive merch I got was the light up ornament ($27) and the Party Logo pin ($15). I wanted some of the Mystery Pin sets and was told they did not have them (yet?). I confirmed this at Frontier Trading Post also. This was news to me as I had not seen this reported. I was impressed with the size of the Villain Pins, I pictured them smaller in my head. We also grabbed the light up bat ‘Ears’ ($19) and a light up pumpkin necklace ($14). DH & DD had no luck with the pumpkin popcorn bucket. They were told it would not go on sale until 7pm. I confirmed this at the popcorn cart in NFL.

Everyone was ready for more rides and to cool off. The boys asked for Dumbo – OK! Poor DH & DD had to walk all the way back and forth from Frontierland in the heat. We cooled off in the Dumbo play area and then rode. I wanted to ride more in Fantasyland but our last fp was active and DH wanted to ride that – Big Thunder Mountain (5:25-6:25). So back to Frontierland. After that we wanted to do Pirates of the Caribbean but it said 30 min wait, no thank you. So we decided to grab dinner, Pecos Bill’s. We finished at 6:40.

By 6:45 they were already starting to use the fog special effect so we lingered around Frontierland. There was already a line (of 2) at the Westward Ho Popcorn Cart so we decided to just hang out and wait. At some point we noticed a line for trick or treating at Tom Sawyers boat dock, so DH and the kids got in line there. At 7 we heard the official party announcement. The fog on the river was just so-so.
IMG_4355.JPG
Not something to go out of your way for. It took a few minutes for me to get my popcorn bucket. The CM had to drag out 2 big boxes that were clearly marked “do not open unti 7pm.” But I was thrilled once I had it.
IMG_4350.JPG
Turns out the line for ToT was long, so I was able to join the family and get some candy too.

Big Thunder Mountain was walk on, so we decided to go on it again. Then we encountered the Cadaver Dans and stopped for a number or two. Kids were mesmerized and I enjoyed their humorous songs. I would go out of my way for this.
IMG_4353.JPG
Next on my schedule was Haunted Mansion. There were huge crowds here - some for the Magic Shot, some for nearby trick-or-treating and some for the ride. The wait said 20 minutes but it was more like 10. The CMs entertaining out on the ‘lawn’ of the Haunted Mansion were excellent. I could have stood here longer but the kids didn’t appreciate the humor as much as me.

I had changed my plan within the last week to watch the 8:15 showing of Hocus Pocus. I thought the crowds would be bad but I knew it was a priority for two in my family and I didn’t want to wait until midnight and have something go wrong (too tired or bad weather) and miss it. We arrived in front of the castle at 7:55 and it was packed.
IMG_4364.JPG
We found a fine area and sat out the wait. At 8:10 everyone stood and waited for the start. DH had to hold DS(6) for most of the show and DS(9) also had a really hard time viewing. Some people way in front of us decided to put their kids on their shoulders and DS(9) was outraged. It was kind of funny, he kept saying ‘how rude!’ But overall we enjoyed the show. I had low expectations and we have no knowledge of Hocus Pocus but I REALLY enjoyed the show. We may have to search out the movie now.

I bolted at the end of the show to grab a spot for the parade. Since we were watching the early HP I was nervous about finding good parade viewing. The parade was my top priority. The area near Casey’s/Plaza was packed, I was nervous. But I went all the way down Main Street in front of the Confectionary Store and found plenty of curb space for the five of us. This was at 8:40. The family was right behind me. We took turns holding our space and running to the restroom, getting our SOTMK cards and getting some drinks. I wanted to get some special treats too but DH feared the line would be too long and the treats I really wanted weren’t on Main Street anyway.

The Headless Horseman came by us at 9:15. I was trying to get a good picture but instead didn’t get to really see him. The Party Patrol came by at 9:20. We were kind of in between their stops so didn’t get the best view. The Boo to You parade made it to us at 9:38. I just enjoyed the parade. I had high expectations for this night time parade and this did not meet them. It wasn’t bad I just had too high expectations. It didn’t have the emotional feel and nostalgia that Main Street Electrical Parade had for me. My favorite part was the grave diggers, which was very unique.

After the parade we bolted over to meet Mickey in his vampire costume. It was 9:55. It was a 5 min wait and perfect for us. We had never met talking Mickey before so the kids thought that was ‘cool’. Then we headed up Main Street to find a good spot to view the fireworks. We ended up between The Plaza and Main St. Head on view of the castle but a tree blocked some things off to the right. It was fine for us. Again, we enjoyed it but my expectations were too high. It didn’t have the emotional feel that Wishes! music had for me. My favorite part was towards the end when the firework felt like they surround you. According to my picture timing, they only last 12 mins. They felt short.

With all the big party highlights done we had an hour and a half of party time left. We headed to Tomorrowland and did Buzz Lightyear - walk on (I keep getting worse at this game) and Space Mt (which was posted at 20min but was longer. I was disappointed that we wasted so much time here and DS(9) didn’t want to ride it. I think the late hour was starting to get to him.) We opted out of People Mover to make up for time lost on Space Mt. We trick-or-treated at Launch Bay. Then headed to Fantasyland. As we walked my Winnie the Pooh and friends we checked out the line. DD had this as a second priority. It was 11:22 and the line looked to be about 8-10 groups. We felt like this was too much wait at this time. I barely even managed to get photos of them in costume. Then Trick or Treated at Philharmagic with it’s bonus stop. Then hopped on my favorite ride It’s a Small World. It was 11:50 and could have hopped in one more line but IASW seemed like a fitting end to the night.
IMG_4484.JPG

We walked by the midnight show of HP. A big crowd, not as big as 8:15 show, but bigger than I expected. We stopped at Main Street Bakery and got two of the Mickey shaped Cinnamon Rolls and one of the Pumpkin Cheesecake Domes. I was disappointed that I didn’t go out of my way for one of the special desserts that I had my eye on but just never found the time. I was also disappointed that DH thought it was too late for the kids to have more sweets so we saved these desserts for the next morning. I did try the pumpkin cheesecake once we were back in the room and the kids were asleep, it was too pumpkin-y for me.

We walked under the train station at 12:08. As we made our way to the exit I considered doing the Headless Horseman Magic Shot. It was dark and foggy in the area so I couldn’t see the exact line but it looked sizable (10+ groups) so we kept walking.

For first time party-ers. I think we did ok. The heat slowed us at times and the crowds weren’t as light as I had hoped. I'm glad we did it but I don't think it is something we need to do again.

Final count:
Rides - 8
Trick-or-Treating stops – 3
Character – 1
Magic Shots - 0

Thank you for the review/report! We were hoping to watch BTY and Hallowishes in front of Casey's. What time do you think you tried to get a spot there? I was thinking about getting there at 8:00, but someone else said 8:15-8:30. I'm starting to think that would be cutting it too close.

Thank you for the review/report! We were hoping to watch BTY and Hallowishes in front of Casey's. What time do you think you tried to get a spot there? I was thinking about getting there at 8:00, but someone else said 8:15-8:30. I'm starting to think that would be cutting it too close.
By 8:35 that area was packed. The 8:15 HP show really brings in the crowd which overflows all over the hub and beyond. I'd say 8-8:15 depending on how crowded your night is.

By 8:35 that area was packed. The 8:15 HP show really brings in the crowd which overflows all over the hub and beyond. I'd say 8-8:15 depending on how crowded your night is.

Thanks! We can probably get there even earlier if we need to.

What's the bypass?

It's an area behind Main Street where you can walk through, they have some Halloween decor, give you a bag of candy, and maybe have some merchandise to buy? Not sure on that last one. I can't recall exactly where you exit Main St to get to it.

Thank you so much for your review! We are doing our first party in a few weeks and it's great to hear another first timers night went so wonderfuly! ✨✨✨

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter