Our family's don't get it

We did our first DCL last June with my parents, and my mom loved it so much that's she's been talking about it ever since, and we're all thinking of doing Alaska in a couple of years. So when DH and I booked another cruise for next summer, I didn't get any comments...

But I get them all the time when I say we're going to Disneyland Paris. It's a 3 hour drive, we have annual passes... Why shouldn't we go as much as we can?? And it's not like we spend every weekend there - we average about 3-4 trips a year (usually staying for 2 nights). So clearly, not too much!! But everyone around me rolls their eyes when I say we've booked another stay... Family, friends, co-workers... But I don't care. If anything, I feel sorry for them, that they don't have a magical place to go and leave all the worries behind, somewhere you can be sure of having a really wonderful time with those you love the most :)

Ours is the other generation. Our thinks we are nuts for Disney :)
We enjoy it . Last year Disneyland this year Paris next year WDW hopefully sneaking in a trip to Anaheim somewhere.

My parents tolerate my love of Disney finally now that I am 34 and they're finally understanding that what they think about my vacation choices doesn't really matter anymore. And in their case, it's not so much a prejudice against Disney as it is against spending money on something so frivolous as vacationing. (As a kid, we never went anywhere, and vacation time was to be spent visiting extended family. So... I grew up to be a travel agent. Go figure. :rolleyes: )

My parents tolerate my love of Disney finally now that I am 34 and they're finally understanding that what they think about my vacation choices doesn't really matter anymore. And in their case, it's not so much a prejudice against Disney as it is against spending money on something so frivolous as vacationing. (As a kid, we never went anywhere, and vacation time was to be spent visiting extended family. So... I grew up to be a travel agent. Go figure. :rolleyes: )

Must have been that generation. My parents and DH's parents were / are that way also. The first time I told MIL we were going on a vacation, she wanted to know if we were going to Illinois to see family. I told her no, we were going to WDW. The look I got was kind of like eating a very sour apple.

I am lucky to have three small children on whom I can blame the Disney obsession, but really it's me as well. After our most recent Disney cruise we took them to Disney World for the first time. While our Disney hotel experience was pretty awful, the kids LOVED all the rides at the Magic Kingdom! It was their very first amusement park visit (ever) and I was so happy to find they love the rides and attraction as much as I do!

Oh, and my parents long since gave up caring/commenting on where I travel. I caught the travel bug early in life (moved overseas for the first time at 16 by myself) and have been around the world many times. I think they are just glad I have a family now and can't practically move anywhere exotic anymore! Lol.

Some of my old travel buddies are the ones that question my trading hiking boots and a backpack for a cruise ship and concierge. I just remind them that every experience is best lived in the moment. It doesn't really matter if it's a sunrise on the side of a mountain, or a beautiful lightening storm in the distance at sea, or the awe in my child's eyes as she finds the perfect seashell or hugs her favorite princess. Joy and memories are individual and to be treasured.

And yes I remember wanting to go to Disneyworld as a child and not being able to. I went to Disneyworld in college and Tokyo Disneyland as an adult. Loved each and every experience! Sometimes those little seeds planted years ago grow into wonderful experiences later.

My friends just laugh and say something like, "Let me guess...you're going to Disney?" or "why did I not guess?" or "What a surprise!" when I tell them I'm going again.

Must have been that generation. My parents and DH's parents were / are that way also. The first time I told MIL we were going on a vacation, she wanted to know if we were going to Illinois to see family. I told her no, we were going to WDW. The look I got was kind of like eating a very sour apple.

You should have seen the look on my moms face when I told her my wife and I were taking our kids to DL for Christmas one year. I thought she was going to have a stroke, holy crap I was scared.

You should have seen the look on my moms face when I told her my wife and I were taking our kids to DL for Christmas one year. I thought she was going to have a stroke, holy crap I was scared.

The first christmas my DH and I were married, we decided to spend it at Disneyland Paris. We booked a suite an everything, totally spoiled ourselves. It was over 10 years ago, but I'm not sure my mom has forgiven me yet :rolleyes:

Now that I've discovered the cruises my budget for DLP holidays is much reduced ;) but I'm hoping we can save up enough to spend a Christmas :santa: with our daughter in DLP. We've been during the Christmas season, of course, but it's not the same...

We are a couple from Denmark. We are on low income, so we have up to every vacation.
We have a dog.
We have talk about taken the WBTA in 2017 again, and startet to talk with my In-laws about dog sitting. And the answer was:
Why Disney AGAIN? Aren't you to old? Try Thailand next time! It's not normal Christina!
And then I kind of lost it!
Told them that at Disney I can be me. People don't look down at me. I can sing a Disney song when I want. I can dance and enjoy life. I have aspergers, and my "obsession" is Disney.
Your son love Disney as much. Hi is 10 years older than me. Why is am to old?
Then they started talking about other things.
They just don't get it.
Disney is a BIG part of our live.
Other than have families that don't understand?

Never too old for Disney!

disney is fun no matter what age ok lets be real it is 5-100 because you don't remember anything past the age of 5, and besides when i have kids i can tell then disney movies were rating g at one point and not all pg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter