Our drive to WDW from the GTA over March break

5Dreamers

Mouseketeer
We drove from just North of Toronto, ON, to WDW and wanted to share our experience.

I did not want to drive, but flights back home during March Break were more than I was willing to pay, plus DH and DS really wanted to try it.

It was me, DH, and our 3 kids (15,11,8) in a Dodge Journey. We had one seat in the third row up for use, and the other down to fit our luggage. We secured all 3 pieces of our luggage together to ensure it wouldn’t tip over or pose a risk to the person sitting at the back. We had 2 pillows, a bag of bottled water and packaged food, and stuff in a few backpacks. We took our time, never speeding, and stopped when we needed to.

Drive down:
We left 8pm on Sunday March 13th and drove straight without stopping at a hotel. It was about 25 hours with stops, arriving just after 9pm on Monday March 14th. We drove the route that goes through Buffalo. We did not take the Jacksonville, FL by-pass on the way down which was a mistake. Too much construction and traffic, was our only real slow down. Highly recommend taking the by-pass on the East side.

Drive back:
Left just before 11am on Friday March 18th and also drove straight without a hotel stop. It was longer, about 27 hours, because we stopped to pick up a few things from a store and ran in to a few minor slow downs.

Things I learned:
1. Good neck pillows for each passenger are a must, as well as sleep masks.
2. I discovered I much prefer to drive at night, not many trucks/cars on the roads. DH preferred to drive in the day, so we were a great team. I did not realize there were sooo many trucks on the roads in the day time.
3. A vehicle with cruise control really reduces the pressure of staying at the speed limit during the night time drive. An option to display your speed in miles per hour helps too. We had both, and I really appreciated them for the first time because I’m not usually a cruise control user.
4. The highway signs for food and gas stops are great to use when deciding where to pull off.
5. We did not eat in the car. All food stops took longer than I had expected: about 1 hour each for meals and even stops for washroom & snack break took 30-45 minutes. We always got a good stretch before getting back into the car.
6. As I said above, take the Jacksonville, Florida I-295 East Beltway by-pass.
7. The travel stop in Angola, off the I-90, is about 30 minutes from the Peace Bridge. Very handy since it’s about 3 hours from the GTA area, perfect for a washroom break and snack/meal. Has exits in both directions that link up to the building in the middle.
8. Tolls in USD were $3.15 + $0.40 + $2.00 = $5.55 on the way down and $8.55 on the way back with the extra $3 upon entry back to Canada.

Biggest surprise:
The price of gas, in total, was only $199 USD and we came back with ¼ tank less than what we left with. It was a huge savings over flying for our family of 5. We got great fuel economy and gassed up 9 times in total. Probably could have dropped it to 7 or 8 since we always had over ¼ tank when we filled up, but I did not want to take any chances of running low. Our vehicle uses almost as much gas as a minivan, and was very heavy with people and luggage, so I’d say it was at the higher end of gas costs.

Hope this is helpful to any first time WDW drivers from the Toronto area!

Great review of your drive. Out of curiosity which routes did you drive?

Thanks, this was really interesting. We've considered driving to save money, but since Toronto to Montreal was almost more than we could take, we thought it was just too much driving for us. But for $199 US in gas, we might have to suck it up. Hmm.

Thanks for this. We are also a family of five and have debated driving. We are only about an hour and a half from Buffalo so we have chosen to drive to Buffalo and fly with Southwest as we save at least 1000 doing that.
Do you feel like you needed extra days to recoup from your drive? I think I would consider driving if we were going for 10+ days but as of right now our trips are short normally 5-6.
Thanks again.

We are driving down from Whitby at the end of April. Staying 14 days. We are a family of 6 (kids are 8, 6, 6, 4) plus our 13 yr old niece so flying just doesn't make sense. It would cost a small fortune.

We drove straight through a couple of years ago and we just found it too gruelling. This time we are leaving at 4 am and driving until about 8 or 9 pm with a few bathroom/meal stops. We'll get up in the morning, have the free hotel breakfast and hope to be on the road by 8 am. Should arrive at WDW by late afternoon at the latest.

The next day will be a pool day so we can relax before our first MK day.

Thanks for the summary! My family used to drive down the Florida when I was little. I would like to try it one time. My husband hasn't bought into the idea though :p

Thanks for this. We are also a family of five and have debated driving. We are only about an hour and a half from Buffalo so we have chosen to drive to Buffalo and fly with Southwest as we save at least 1000 doing that.
Do you feel like you needed extra days to recoup from your drive? I think I would consider driving if we were going for 10+ days but as of right now our trips are short normally 5-6.
Thanks again.
We also usually fly out of Buffalo, but with the currency exchange, it wasn't as good of a deal as it used to be.
I think it worked out well that we arrived in the evening because we went to sleep right after settling into our room. We woke up the next morning feeling normal. It was a lot of driving for a 4 night vacation, but it was all we could squeeze in. I'd probably stay at least 5 or 6 nights if I could fit that in.

Great review of your drive. Out of curiosity which routes did you drive?

We drove:
Hwy 404 - Hwy 401 - Hwy 427 - QEW - Peace Bridge - I 190 - I 90 - I 79 - US 19 - I 77 - I 26 - I 95 (recommend Jacksonville by-pass I 295 East then back to I 95) - I 4

We drove:
Hwy 404 - Hwy 401 - Hwy 427 - QEW - Peace Bridge - I 190 - I 90 - I 79 - US 19 - I 77 - I 26 - I 95 (recommend Jacksonville by-pass I 295 East then back to I 95) - I 4
Thanks!
We are going to attempt our first drive as a family this August.

We drove:
This is the route we are planning as well. Last time we went the Sarnia I75 route but I think it was longer than the Fort Erie route.

Great review, we drove down in summer of 2014, and are planning to go again this summer. Sounds like you had a similar experience. Although my husband prefers driving straight through, I like arriving in Disney a little more relaxed so the only difference in our trips is a stop at about the 12hour mark for a hotel rest...which does not bump up our budget because we use airmiles to cover it :) It all depends on your family, but I have definitely say the drive is not as bad as its made out to be.

Thank you so much for posting all your details. I am still trying to convince the rest of my family that this is something we need to try but they are resisting me. I think it would be an adventure, even if it is only once.

Only part I hate about driving is coming home. Driving there is easy, it's the just wanting to get back that makes the return trip feel like it takes forever.

We have driven down a few times. Last September we took the Fort Erie route and Christmas of 2014 we drove down I75. The Fort Erie route I find to be much nicer. Not as busy and a little bit more to see, plus less major cities to drive through. We are going to attempt the drive again Feb 2017 with our 4yo and 14 month old. That one could be interesting!:crazy2:

We have driven from the Niagara area twice now and will hopefully doing it again this fall! We don't drive straight through because we have three kids under 10 and it's easier to stop for a night and let them sleep in a real bed instead of the car. When I was little we drove from Niagara twice pulling behind our travel trailer and camped at KOA campgrounds on the way to Disney. My kids love looking at all the mountains like I did when I was little. It is an adventure driving when you have kids with you!:)

We drove:
Thanks for all of this. My family of six basically has to drive or else we fly, rent a minivan, and then not eat during the trip. :p
We are west of the GTA, and our big debate is going through Ft. Erie or going through Windsor to catch I-75 down. It's three hours to Windsor, two to Ft. Erie for us. Google Maps says going to Michigan and taking I-75 saves two hours, but it feels so counter-intuitive.

I have heard that going through Windsor is better... better highways and less tolls. We always go through Fr. Erie and only once had trouble - a pile-up in Pittsburgh put us behind by an hour (right at lunch and we were starving, of course!) I think weather makes a difference, too. If you're going in Jan. or Feb. when the weather in the mountains is iffy, the 75 might be better. We always seem to go in mid-March, so not as much of a weather problem.

I've done the drive 3 times now - twice with all 3 kids and DH, and once with just my Mom, with me driving. I don't mind the drive at all. But my oldest has flown down for her own trip with friends, and refuses to ever drive again. She gets motion sickness, so can only listen to music - she can't watch a movie or read.

I did all the driving when I went with Mom - I found it seemed to go faster as the driver, and I was more comfortable for some reason as well.

The savings is so worth it to me - especially with 5 of us!

Wow...that is a lot of driving for only 3 full days!! I have thought of driving but would want at least 7 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter