Our Dream Christmas Trip! Our PRT!

Discussion in 'Pre-Trip Reports and Plans' started by mrstomrice, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mrstomrice

mrstomrice Disney Planning Fanactic!

We're going to Disney World! After many hot, summer trips, the calendar god has smiled on us, making it possible to visit Disney World during the holidays. My DH and I are both teachers and we typically have to work until December 23. This year we are done on December 21 so it is the perfect year to head to our favorite vacation spot to celebrate Christmas.
    This is my first PRT, so bear with me! Enjoy!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mrstomrice

This is my inspiration for going during Christmas! I LOVE the castle when it is covered in ice! I cannot wait to see it:)
    [​IMG]

4. mrstomrice

So cast is our cast:
    [​IMG]
    Me: Elementary school teacher and Disney fanactic. This is about my 28th trip. This is my 3rd during the holiday season. I was in Disney Christmas week once as a 12 year old and I celebrated New Year's week with a college friend in 1998. This will be my first family vacation with the boys during the holidays.
    DH: Tom, also an elementary school teacher. His first trip to Disney was our honeymoon, and we've gone at least once a year since. I am so relieved that he loves it almost as much as I do.
    DS8: Thomas...huge fan of everything Disney and baseball.
    DS5: Jake...also loves all things Disney:) He is can give any of you a walking tour of Magic Kingdom. I feel that I raised him well.:
    thumbsup2

5. mrstomrice

We have been talking about this trip for years but with the school calendar, we never felt as if there was enough time to make the most of a trip and also get a day or two to relax before heading back to school. About 2 years ago I realized that the calendar was the best possible calendar for the holidays since Christmas is on a Tuesday, so we looked to book for 2012. In Nov 2011, we booked a MYW package at Pop Century. We had been tossing around the thought of joining DVC for a few years but we wanted to be done paying for day care before making the commitment. However, once we saw how much more this trip was over prior trips, it seemed to be the right time to join and put the money that would have paid for the hotel towards our dues. We typically travel in August, so we investigated in December to find that August would be our drop date, so it seemed to make sense to join.
    Hello Saratoga Springs!

6. Conniesaurus

Conniesaurus Mouseketeer

We are also from Bucks Country and DVC owners!! My daughter is a teacher too,(subbing now, hoping for that contracted position). We went last year for the first time in December it was wonderful. The weather was perfect, we always go in the summer so it was nice change. The decorations are beautiful not only in the parks but the resorts too. You will have a wonderful time.

7. mrstomrice

Small world! Be wishes to your daughter. It took me many years of subbing, taking long term jobs, moving to NC, and teaching in Philadelphia to finally get settled in my dream job:)

8. mrstomrice

So we booked a studio at SSR for December 22-29. We thought it would be nice to have our first DVC visit in our home resort. The more I thought of it, the more I wanted to be closer to the parks with the crowds that will be with us at the holidays. DH and I decided to search for other choices, with BLT being my first choice. DH wanted AK, Kidani. As expected, BLT wasn't available, so I waitlisted it and booked AK for our week. We were able to get a Savannah view. Just a few weeks ago we got the news that our waitlist came through. :wizard: This is the best pixie dust I have gotten in a while! We had only asked for December 22-26 so we had the advantage of walking to MK during our planned days and to be on the monorail for EPCOT. I also never thought we would get the entire week at BLT, so I am happy to have both booked...BLT and then a switch to AK Kidani. :banana::wizard:

9. mrstomrice

Funny how I can plan the meals that I will have 180 days from now, but I am still not sure what we will have tomorrow night:) Monday June 25 was my 180 day...it was marked on every calendar I have, as well as reminders on my Outlook:) I was not going to miss the chance to eat where we want to the busiest week of the year at Disney. I decided to bok my ADRs online, so the alarm was set for 5:45 am. I think I was so excited that I didn't sleep well the night before. Was it worth it? Keep posted!

10. beachmama3

beachmama3 Mouseketeer

Looking forward to reading your TR-- so jealous that you will be there during the holidays. I also teach (6th grade Literacy) and so we haven't been able to make it down there for Christmas. Our school band is going to Disney this December to march, I think I may need to chaperone! haha!

11. beachmama3

beachmama3 Mouseketeer

Totally true.

12. mrstomrice

Thanks for joining in...I have never done a trip report before. This is helping to pass the time:)

13. brandihead2012

brandihead2012 Mouseketeer

So daring! We went the week before Christmas and it was so busy! Love the weather though during that time of the year! Have you made any of your ADR's yet?

14. midwesternbelle

midwesternbelle Midwestern Princess meets Southern Belle

My family and I are also heading to the world this christmas! It should be fun!

28 TIMES! I aspire to BE you! :) You truly love Disney.

Im subbing to your thread!

15. Conniesaurus

Conniesaurus Mouseketeer

Thanks for your encouraging words. What district are you in and what grade do you teach?

We really enjoy this trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2855462.

They were there during Christmas time and she gives many tips and photos.

16. ::danielle::

::danielle:: Mouseketeer

I am so excited to hear about your plans and Christmas trip! We're planning a trip next Christmas (2013), also staying at BLT. I'm going to live vicariously through you on your trip!

17. mrstomrice

Yes! I will fill you in soon...the kids are getting ready for bed:)

18. mrstomrice

Thanks for subbing! I was very lucky to be able to go nearly every year when I was growing up. I am 1 of 5 kids and we had a motorhome. We would come to FW each year. I didn't fly in a plane until I was 14...nor have I ever really gone skiing! Disney is it for me! DH never went until our honeymoon 11 years ago...this will be his 11th trip:) We are very lucky to always be able to travel with a deal. Now that we joined DVC, we will continue to come at least every other year.

19. midwesternbelle

midwesternbelle Midwestern Princess meets Southern Belle

Wow! Being only 17 I'm not quite ready for joining the Disney Vacation Club, but hopefully one day!

Also, when you are staying with DVC, can you still use the dining plans?

20. mrstomrice

Yes, you can still purchase the dining plan...we just can't get free dining.

21. luvmy2sams

luvmy2sams <font color=deeppink>Proud Mommy<br><font color=00

Disney at Christmas is wonderful! I'm a teacher as well, and we've made the journey to Orlando for the last three years. Can't wait to get back there this year! It makes those wild final days with a room full of excited students more bearable! :) Looking forward to following your report!