Our Coffee Can Cruise *or* San Diego to Cabo, Oct 11-16, 2015

Love the updates! Sad that you didn't find wine though. :oops: It's a good start to your vacation now that the travel nightmare is behind you and your headache start to the day is in the rearview mirror. :thumbsup2

I thought you forgot about your TR and then I saw your update this morning!!!

How awesome that your view was smack dab in front of the dock!!!

We live in the South Bay Area of LA and about an hour 15 away. I remember how HOT it was for October.

I LOVE that pic of you and DH's kiss. I laughed cuz if the kids see us kiss, it's always "yuck." They're almost 5 and 9 now.

Can't wait to read more.

By the way, I never completed my TR either. We did 3 days in Disneyland afterwards and I have 1 1/2 more days left to post.

Also, did you book for October 2017? We booked opening day for October 15 for SEVEN nights!!! We have a large group already!

LOL....I really really couldn't get in the mood to finish it when we got back. Things just go soooo hectic in the run up to Christmas and then it seemed pointless to go back to it etc., etc. The funny thing is the report is mostly all written - it was editing and uploading the photos that was so time consuming. Lately the kids have been kind of guilting me about it so I figured I'd sneak back in and see if I could get it done. That would make one thing I could cross of my To Do list!

No, we haven't booked anything further. That may have been part of my reluctance with the Trip Report. The 7 night Mexican Riviera sounds heavenly but the kids are getting too old to miss that much school time :( Not that they'd mind. But it's too much stress trying to catch up afterwards LOL....

I really enjoy your writing style so remember you have fans out here...(aka pretty please post more!). I'd love to do a cruise out of California but right now it's not going to happen anytime soon...must live vicariously!

Hehehe...I mentioned the glass elevator then forgot to include that we did get a few chances to use it that day. I was kind of iffy about getting on it (you know, heights and all that) but there was so much to see that I didn't have time to worry about plunging to my death.

Well, not a lot of time anyway.

This is the view of the front of the hotel tower, picture taken from the sidewalk in front of the Port

Our rooms were on the top floor, just to the right of that central elevator shaft.

Yeah. Beyond awesome!​

Heading down in the elevator ...

And here's the trip up:

And yes, I did just post an update solely to talk about an elevator.

Hmm....

Ha! My diary entry reads “awake at 4:47am, went to bathroom”.

Now that’s riveting reading!

But yes, I did get up before 5am and decided to sit up and read for a while (and no, NOT in the bathroom). I was tracking some lights off in the distance, wondering ‘Is it? Could it be?’.

By 5:30 I couldn’t take it anymore and woke up K and had her look out the window (sorry Sweetie). She has better eyes than me so was hoping she could identify whatever it was. We both concluded that it was something but it definitely wasn’t the Wonder. We crawled back into bed but I was too restless to go back to sleep so got up again to keep watching.

Sure enough the mystery lights came closer and it quickly became obvious they were heading directly into the berth in front of the window. I woke K up again (happy holidays, kid) and gave V and Dh a wake-up shake for good measure. We all went out to the balcony to admire our ship glide into the dock…

Eventually the thrill wore off and we went back to bed. Well, V had gone back to bed pretty much right away. I crawled in thinking I would never get back to sleep. Then woke up to a panicked child yelling "It's 8:45!"

Yeah yeah yeah...still lots of time kid, relax…

But mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..it's right there!

I let myself be bullied out of bed and got up and started trying to organize all of our stuff. Oh and we made coffee...’cause we could do that today. While the girls got ready, I pulled all our FE gifts out and put them in the 'spare' carry-on. We reorganized suitcases to better distribute the weight and bulk.

By 10:30 we had the suitcases tagged and ready to go. Dh and I walked across to drop off the checked baggage...then turned around and came back to the room for the girls. Easy peasy lemony squeezy!

We sort of reluctantly checked out of our super-fantastic hotel room and set off on the loooooooooooooooong walk back across the street to the port.

I loved these sculptures out front. I get the fish one....
but can anyone explain to me the upside-down R/double-E one?

We got there maybe a little after 11am. The line up didn't look too daunting and we got through the security part and to the check in counter in less than a quarter hour. They even took new photos for our account. We had an 11am PAT but got boarding # 11. That disappointed me….it’s the highest boarding number we have ever gotten.

We snagged some seats and prepared to wait. We played with the navigator app and read the 'real' navigator while they ticked through the numbers. When the got to group 9, we made our way over to the exit, expecting to hear 10 and 11 by the time we got there. But then there seemed to be a long pause so we stood there feeling kind of pushy waiting for magic number 11. Finally, it was our turn and we were into the homestretch to get on the ship.

Last edited:
I'm here, I'm still reading!! Glad you came back to finish it :) :mickeyjum:mickeyjum:mickeyjum

Woohoo, you're boarding - time to get this boat movin'! :boat:

Loving the updates so far!!! Love reliving everything vicariously through you!

We actually parked our car at the Wyndham and the walk was so easy. We plan on doing the same next year.

At the end of this year, our kids' school has been stating on all communications about attendance. They rarely miss school (knock on wood) and are very good students. They're still young enough that next year may have to be the last time we book during school. Not sure what we will do about vacations then.

I also have a fear of heights. I may look at a view near a railing but I HATE looking straight down. Also, the moving ocean when the ship is moving freaks me out...the unlikely chance of falling overboard for me or my family frightens me so much (I know it's impossible). I'm being brave for the next cruise cuz I booked a verandah for the first time.

We had an early PAT but got a crazy number like #21 that I was kinda pissed (couldn't wait to board!!!).

Can't wait for more (I also type ahead of time but agree that adding and pasting plus photos gets time consuming!).

Thanks for the updates!
And I don't think reading in the bathroom is odd...I do it especially on vacation b/c I'm too excited to sleep :tigger:and DH is...not :rolleyes:

Our plan (or as I see it in my head: Our Plan) had been formulated in the terminal - the kids were tasked to snag a table on Deck 9, I would go to Wavebands for Frozen Meet ‘n Greet tickets and Dh’s mission was to go straight to Tritons for ‘nominal’ tickets. And I must say, our plan came off to perfection. We are getting good at this! A few more cruises and we can go pro! The girls were settled at a table by the Mickey pool by the time I met them there. A server came around and I picked up two Bahama Mamas, thinking they must be the drink of the day (Ouch! at $22 most definitely NOT the DOD).

And NOW it's vacation!

A few minutes later Dh found us, already with beer mug in hand. I’d gotten the meet ‘n greet tix and he’d snagged the tastings we were interested in so success all round!

The girls went straight into the pool so I went to BBB and picked up some food to share. Then the girls wanted ice cream, so I told them to check if Goofy's Galley was open. It was so also got my long desired bacon & brie panini (Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!) amongst other snackies. The girls were in and out of the pool, which meant I had to finish their ice cream cones. Oh the sacrifices a mother makes!

Dh had struck up a conversation with the gentleman at the next table so we sat and chatted until finally it was 1:30 and we could head down to check out our cabin. We had a 5B aft verandah cabin on the 7th deck. Two of our suitcases had arrived so we unpacked those and threw some of our magnets on the door. The third and last suitcase showed up and we got to meet Sam, our stateroom attendant.

Woohoo! Fresh supplies!

Oh, to have a set of these towels at home!

There was a FB meet and greet at 2:30 in Diversions but we wandered in a little late. Finally I got a chance to order the actual drink of the day - California Dream – while the girls enjoyed a Shirley Temple. We found chairs by the porthole and hung around for the group photo and then took off as the kids were antsy to check out their entertainment venues. K wanted to sign up for the Edge rather than the Oceaneer’s Lab. Even on the last cruise, she had felt a little ‘old’ in the Lab so we were hoping the Edge might be a better fit. The CM said she could go between both if she wanted but I don’t think we ever set foot in the Club or the Lab this trip. Sigh…my kids are growing up.

V also registered for the Edge, although she was more interested in the Vibe. We started up to see the teen area but it was already closed in prep for the safety drill. We went back to the cabin to get ready [reading that now I wonder what we had to do to get ready?] and then off to deck 4 to find our muster station. More of the same hurry-up- and-wait as ever.

By about 4:22 pm we were released back into the wild. Dh and K wanted to change so they went back to the cabin while V and I staked out our preferred viewing spot along the railing on deck 10 for sailaway.

V went down to deck 9 for streamers and we almost lost our spot as people tried to hedge in. Dh and K got back just in time for the show.

Clayton, our awesome and energetic cruise director dances with Ms. Mouse

And I would like you all to appreciate how much photographic talent it takes to
make sure EVERYONE in the photo has a derpy look on their face....

As show was winding up, we deked out to the bow to see if we were ready to cast off. Ropes were still attached so again, we staked out a spot right at front and waved to the people who were out to watch us leave.

Finally pretty much right at 5pm we started moving away from the dock!

I love all the 'stuff' in this phot0 - the tall ship, the plane, the music festival crowds...

Aha! Now we see what the opposite view was like!

One last plane...

We watched for a bit, gazing wistfully as our super-fantastic hotel room got further and further away.

Check out the lazy seagull hitching a ride. You have wings. USE THEM!

Then V challenged her dad to ping pong and it was Game On! While they ping ponged, I watched the scenery go by.

Eventually Dh extricated himself from the pinging and the ponging to keep watch with me.

Look. Look at the pretty scenery:

Hey, we recognize these guys!

The girls finally got ponged out and reminded us that we were all getting a mite hungry. Gee, where could we get some food on a cruise ship? Hmm...

We went back down to deck 9 and grabbed some chicken tenders and shrimp wraps. K just wanted a salad (Where did this kid come from?). Then she asked if she could have ice cream. Then she couldn't believe it when I said yes (hey - vacation!) … ice cream and salad…dairy and vegetables….that’s healthy, right?

Sigh...the first sunset...

Last edited:
Loved reading your last update!

We absolutely love Clayton, too! I can't nail the I'm on vacation dance, though!

One last shot of San Diego in the rear view mirror
(do cruise ships have rear view mirrors?)

So once our munchies had been eaten, it was getting close to 6 pm so we headed back to our cabin to change for the show.

The first night’s show isn’t our favourite and we actually skipped it last time. Heath Hyche was the main entertainment this cruise though so we were curious to see what he was all about.

Apparently we aren’t as experienced at cruising as we thought because we forgot where to go and ended up at the Buena Vista Theatre first, then had to scramble to find the Walt Disney Theatre!! We took the scenic route around deck 5 before realizing we should be on deck 4 (or was it the other way around?)...We got to the theatre with about five minutes to spare but were still able to find four seats together. The show was ok, although really once was definitely enough. Heath Hyche was fantastic though - his Love Boat bit had me dying, maybe because I remember the show so well!

After the show, Dh went back to cabin to change and girls and I prowled around and ended up in to the very busy gift shop. We bought some pins and a trick/treat bag to use for a FE because as we had been unpacking our suitcases earlier, I suddenly realized that I forgot to pack our Fish Extender!! Remember, the alternate name of this cruise is 'the things mommy forgot cruise' ... Our poor sad, woebegone fish extender - still hanging on our bedroom door hook. I remember thinking at one point leading up to our departure 'oh, I should move that or I'll forget to take it'. I really should listen to myself sometimes.

In the end, even the Trick or Treat bag ended up being too wide to use so we just put out our Pirates of the Caribbean bag that we used to hold our pirate jewelry.

I was very disappointed in the pin selection this cruise. They still had a bunch of Alaska pins and nothing specific to Mexico or the Baja. We are not hardcore collectors or anything but I like to get a pin with the year on it as a souvenir but there was nothing. It kind of felt like they were just trying to clear out the leftovers.

Our first night's dinner was in Animator's Palate, so of course we dressed in black and white clothes. We loitered in the atrium as I wanted to get family photos taken with the white background (I say that every cruise and every cruise we don't get them). We stood in line for a bit, but it was clear we wouldn't have time to get photos before dinner so left for AP.

Does anyone else want to grab a box of felt markers and just go nuts in this dining room?

Our table was set up for 8 people so we took four seats on one side. There were two kids menus and cups for Caleb and Owen already set out (damn...boys!) then suddenly the assistant server swept away those glasses and one for Gabrielle (another girl! yay!) appeared.

But it was all for naught as no family ever showed up so we ended up with the table all to ourselves. Rejected before they'd even met us. That's a new record.

Our assistant server was Istvan from Hungary and our server was Bugas, from Indonesia. We had had a bet on before the cruise to see who could correctly guess which countries our servers would be from. K had guessed Hungary and Dh had said Indonesia so not sure who won, other than it wasn’t V or I. Both of them were fantastic, although Istvan had a small obsession with pepper.

V & K were ecstatic when the bread arrived and pigged out. Dh ordered the truffle pursettes and I had the smoked salmon tartar. I tried some of the pursettes, much to his dismay. I will definitely order one or three or ten of those next time! We had also ordered the 4 night premium wine package before dinner so enjoyed a Crema pinot noir.

As it was a five night cruise, this was the show night in AP. It seemed shorter than I remember, but it could just be that I was so tired and felt like I'd hit a wall! I think a lot of families ended up not being able to get first sitting as there were many tables that remained empty after the first night. The kids at the table next to us fell asleep half way through dinner and I don’t think we saw that family in the dining rooms again.

After dinner, Bugas entertained the girls (and us) with some brainteasers, although we were so tired I don’t think we offered much challenge for him.

My favourite decadent cruise vacation dessert: ice cream sundae!

Both of the girls were determined to make the arcade night at midnight so they were keen to go back to the cabin to 'rest' for a bit. Yeah, I seem to remember this from the last cruise and how a ‘rest’ turned into a solid nine hour snooze!

The girls lay on their bunks and watched Little Mermaid and Wall-E, trying to stay awake. We were kind of hoping they would fall asleep because we were so tempted to snuggle into those soft comfy pillows and zzzzzzzzzzzzzz……….

I'm still reading your last post it I wanted to note that I am such a shopper! I always make daily trips to the shops!!! My poor onboard balance proves it! I was also very disappointed that the selection didn't include itinerary specific items. We could only find Halloween themed items. However, I was excited to see Star Wars at Sea items...we did buy some since we knew we wouldn't be going in any of those cruises!

We didn't see the show you saw. I had surgery last year and had to recover for 10 weeks. I was addicted to watching Love Boat. I didn't care that it wasn't realistic...I loved seeing the actors/actresses.

I see that peer pressure has forced you into pushing ahead with your TR. :rotfl: I'm very impressed with the commando start and getting all of the ressies and everything out of the way family-style. :thumbsup2 You've got some great photos of leaving SF. I'm hoping we will be able to do the PC we are booked on for next year and will have the same view. ;) I like the show night in AP on the classics although somehow we always seem to be stuck behind a serving station so my pictures of Mickey always have stacks of dirty plates in front of them. :laughing:

I'm still reading your last post it I wanted to note that I am such a shopper! I always make daily trips to the shops!!! My poor onboard balance proves it! I was also very disappointed that the selection didn't include itinerary specific items. We could only find Halloween themed items. However, I was excited to see Star Wars at Sea items...we did buy some since we knew we wouldn't be going in any of those cruises!

We didn't see the show you saw. I had surgery last year and had to recover for 10 weeks. I was addicted to watching Love Boat. I didn't care that it wasn't realistic...I loved seeing the actors/actresses.

The love boat...exciting and new...come on board...

Ha...I remember when it was a new show! As a teen I had a regular Saturday night babysitting gig. Love Boat, followed by Fantasy Island. Oh how the evening would fly by....LOL

I see that peer pressure has forced you into pushing ahead with your TR. :rotfl: I'm very impressed with the commando start and getting all of the ressies and everything out of the way family-style. :thumbsup2 You've got some great photos of leaving SF. I'm hoping we will be able to do the PC we are booked on for next year and will have the same view. ;) I like the show night in AP on the classics although somehow we always seem to be stuck behind a serving station so my pictures of Mickey always have stacks of dirty plates in front of them. :laughing:

But in this case, wouldn't it be 'pier' pressure?

[awkward silence]

Yeah, I'm not proud of that one either :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter