Our Budget Davy Jones costume

mandysbus

Mouseketeer
davyjonespix0003.jpg

davyjonespix0002.jpg

DS saw the Davy Jones costume at the disney store a few months back and we just didnt have $80 to spend on a costume so here is our version. I also got him the master replicas davy jones key off ebay so now we should be all set for trick or treat tomorrow.

It looks really great!
Did you make it yourself? Do you sew or how did you make it?

I made the coat, white shirt, claw and mask. The coat is old blackish colored fabric from the local auction (not sure what kind is is,kinda scratchy but had "the look"), buttons are off an old army coat, white shirt is from an old white sheet that I tea dyed and the mask is made from fabric from walmart (I was so happy to find a fabric that kinda looked like davy jones skin). the claw is red vinyl. The pants were just boys pants and the shoes are girls boots from a flea market. Then everything was hand painted/distressed and barnicles were painted on. the hat was an old wool tricorn hat from the auction, I sewed the mask to the hat. I also did another davy style hat without the mask in case the mask becomes a vision problem for trick or treat.

That is amazing! You did a fantastic job.So much better thanthe cheaply made Disney costumes that start falling apart the first time you wear them. What a cutie your little boy is too. That is such a great age.

GREAT JOB!!! Way better than the disney store one! He is going to be one proud trick or treater! He would get the big candy at our house.

Before I saw the pic with the mask and claw I was thinking coon skin cap,leather and mocassin Davy Jones and I was starting to think you didnt do so hot with the look :rotfl2: But now that I see the finished product and get that its POC Davy Jones I think you are amazing! :woohoo:

Thanks guys and gals...I was so happy to finally figure out how to post pictures on here and was so proud of how DS costume came out (better than I first thought it would) that I just had to share it. It just killed us to see the one at the disney store, I think without the cost of the Key we have less than $15 in the whole costume.

These forums are great, I used lots of the great tips for our trip this past august and its been a big help with lots of other stuff. Tons of great budget ideas (who couldnt use those!).

You did an absolutely FANTASTIC job on this costume. Wow, that is a lot of work. I just started sewing and made my DD(2) a clown costume, but this takes my breath away.

You DS will remember this costume for years and years to come. My mom always made our costumes, and those are the only ones that really stand out in my mind now. I don't remember most of the other costumes, except for those handmade ones.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

Michaela
17858boo-thumb.gif

resizefordisboards.jpg

AlisonandMinnie2.jpg
AlisonandMickey.jpg

mandysbus said:
I made the coat, white shirt, claw and mask. The coat is old blackish colored fabric from the local auction (not sure what kind is is,kinda scratchy but had "the look"), buttons are off an old army coat, white shirt is from an old white sheet that I tea dyed and the mask is made from fabric from walmart (I was so happy to find a fabric that kinda looked like davy jones skin). the claw is red vinyl. The pants were just boys pants and the shoes are girls boots from a flea market. Then everything was hand painted/distressed and barnicles were painted on. the hat was an old wool tricorn hat from the auction, I sewed the mask to the hat. I also did another davy style hat without the mask in case the mask becomes a vision problem for trick or treat.

You are really talented! I can't believe you were able to do that for under $15! :worship:

You did a fantastic job! Your son must be thrilled!!!!!!! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter