Our 1st FAMILY vacation... We survived! 6/20 - 6/27 at POFQ (pg 9) LAST DAY

Hi just started reading, we actually were at POFQ the same dates, we were in building 7, 3rd floor with the water view, also had 2 connecting rooms. We also were at Epcot on Father's Day, we only made it till 1:30 then went back to the pool for the day! We went back to Epcot On Thursday

Can't wait to hear more!

Sandy

I just found your report and caught up on it. You all make a cute family. I love to hear about the first time experiences of your new family.

Love your TR!!! What a great place to have your first family vacation, nothing is better than Disney! My oldest son also spends 6 weeks with his grandparents in SC every year during the summer. I miss him terribly but he has the best time. Can't wait to read more of your TR.

Melissa

Hi!! I'm here, too! A little late...but I was away all last week, so it's a good excuse right? LOL!!:laughing: SOunds like a great trip so far...looking forward to hearing more....subbing!!

Not late at all, I'm only on Day 3... uploading pics now and will post VERY soon! :) Welcome back - now get caught up - K! LOL

Got any to share? I LOVE popcorn!

Hi just started reading, we actually were at POFQ the same dates, we were in building 7, 3rd floor with the water view, also had 2 connecting rooms. We also were at Epcot on Father's Day, we only made it till 1:30 then went back to the pool for the day! We went back to Epcot On Thursday

Can't wait to hear more!

Sandy

It was a great week to go. I don't think crowds were too awful, but gee whiz it was HOT!! Maybe one of my stories here you'll say - Oh that was HER! LOL Hopefully not, I didn't have too many moments I regretted - only one really... and I'm about to post about it :sad1:

I just found your report and caught up on it. You all make a cute family. I love to hear about the first time experiences of your new family.

Thank you! Ya know, my favorite part of the trip was experiencing it with the kids & Steve. Catherine and I have so many of our own memories of Disney, it was such a joy to make new ones, with them.

Steve fell in love! He wants to go back. We are realistic and know we can't for a few years as a family, but he's letting me look at a possible trip early next Fall, a 3-day anniversary trip - Just us! :hug:

Love your TR!!! What a great place to have your first family vacation, nothing is better than Disney! My oldest son also spends 6 weeks with his grandparents in SC every year during the summer. I miss him terribly but he has the best time. Can't wait to read more of your TR.

Melissa

Hi Melissa!! Welcome aboard. I'm trying to stay quick about this, promise!

You are right, nothing IS better then Disney. I'd love to go every single day, really!

Yeah, DD has just under 4 wks left and I can't believe it. I know it will fly by. AND 2 wks of it, the kids are at their Mom's - So Steve and I are solo for 2 weeks! I cant wait to drive up there and get her though!!!

After our amazing Sunday/My Birthday/Father’s Day – Monday morning was time to wake up and head to MK. We got to sleep in and take it a bit easy this morning as MK was opening at 9am. We enjoyed our 1st breakfast at the food court. I was still getting used to dining plan, but Steve had it all figured out - thankfully.

When we were done eating I ran over to the gift shop just as they were opening at 8-Emma needed a hat. The day before she’d pulled her pig tails out and her hair was a mess. We had nothing to keep her hair out of her face, and that’s no good at all. I ended up buying her a cute Princess visor to wear and it did the trick all week long. After my purchase, we made it to the bus by 8:15am, and were on our way to MK.

Bus service was going great so far this week, and the trip to MK did not differ at all. We didn’t have to stop at POR and were at MK in no time. MK and Epcot were the best bus rides by far! Upon arriving at MK, we got through the turnstile and positioned ourselves right in the middle to watch the opening ceremonies. We found the photopass man and wanted some pictures taken in front of the train station.

DSC03415.jpg

Jack was having a ‘moment’. (groan) he did not want to take a family picture and just sat by the stroller. It was disheartening to get those pictures without him. But for some reason – those pictures are not on the photopass card. Odd. Steve and he had a ‘chat’ and his attitude changed a bit.
I got some cute shots of the kids while waiting for opening ceremony

DSC03416.jpg

Princess Emma - she loved that fan - had it going constantly. We had to change her batteries a few times LOL

DSC03417_edited-1.jpg

DSC03419.jpg

DSC03425.jpg

Once the park was OPEN the crowd pushed through the openings… geesh it was crowded, but not TOO bad. We made our way into MK and down Main Street. Here, we – the entire family- stopped for pictures in front of the castle. (My photopass CD is enroute – I’ll post all of them in 1 thread at the end).

DSC03428_edited-1.jpg

We had a plan for today… Tomorrowland then Toontown. We had Fairies to meet. We headed over the bridge to Tomorrowland and stopped to take pics with the photopass man at the rose garden. We did an additional cute photo of the girls with Tinkerbell in their hands. It turned out SO good.

Tomorrowland is hard to do without Space Mtn and TTA, but we love Buzz and enjoyed a very short 5 min wait for it. Being a party of 5 we decided to split into 3 cars (Steve & Jack, Catherine, Me & Emma). Oddly enough – even though Catherine’s car was in the middle of ours, a stranger jumped in with her. It was a young teen girl, so nothing iffy, but just odd. Why not let her ride alone – why do that?

Buzz was great, we conquered Zurg and of course Steve won! I was 2nd with Jack right behind. Catherine & Emma had VERY close scored – yes, Emma is 4, Catherine is 8. LOL Catherine blamed the stranger driver in the car with her. Mmhmm

After Buzz we headed off to Tomorrowland Speedway. Again we had to split up so Jack road alone between Me & Catherine and Steve & Emma. Yes, my 7 yr old is allowed to ride alone, he’s only 6” shorter then I am. Insane. The race was great – I WON!!!

DSC03434.jpg

See the guys & Emma behind me.. you I won!

Amazing how that happens. Upon leaving the Speedway, I look behind me and Jack is not there, he’s not coming down the stairs. I go back up to find him and he’s just standing there bawling. “yikes, what happened?” He had forgotten his backpack in the car. No big, we’ll find a CM. Well just then a CM came up with his bag. YAY! Jack was too busy bawling to say “thank you”, but I did for him. That’s one thing our boy needs to work on, but we’re working on it. I’m the queen of manners, so it’s important to me.

We head over to the Toon Town entrance just in time to hear them discussing the opening process. Stay behind the rope-Mickey to the Right and go straight, Fairies to the left. We enter Toon town and park the stroller. We were probably the 6th family in line. Parking the stroller held us up. They only have ONE entrance to the parking circle open. Really? There are 4 openings, you have to make me go through that ONE? But okay! Will do :confused3

Once it was our turn to enter Pixie Hollow I know the kids were skeptical about us shrinking into fairy size. Esp since Daddy still seems SO much taller than us. LOL We had AMAZING interaction with the Fairies. The kids got to go up alone and had one-on-one time with everyone. This was the only greet we really did that. It was really nice. The Garden Fairy was hysterical! She was snapping at the Photopass man about taking her pic when she was not ready and how dare he get her ‘bad side’. LOL It was so funny. Just to annoy her, he and I were just snapping pics away when she wasn’t ready.

One thing about 3 kids, 3 fairies and 1 Camera - we missed some stuff but photopass got it all thankfully. Steve did great, I was just following the kids, shuffling autograph books - chaos. LOL I did have Cat's Camera to snap some good shots but its with her in SC - what good does it do me there. LOL

DSC03440.jpg

DSC03444_edited-1.jpg

DSC03447.jpg

DSC03448_edited-1.jpg

What is up with Tink's stance here? Can her toshie be out anymore? LOL
DSC03450_edited-1.jpg

DSC03452_edited-1.jpg

DSC03457_edited-1.jpg

Tink did fuss the kids for not being together, she said that she LIKES to talk to siblings - its fun! LOL

Leaving the tent we skipped the Princesses because we’d had breakfast with them the day before. Thank goodness for character dining, saves tons of time in the parks. We headed over to Minnie’s house then to Mickey’s.

DSC03458.jpg

Our dog is Steve's best bud (as it should be), and missing him a lot we felt this a fitting sign.

Although we’d see Mickey at Chef Mickey’s we wanted to see if we could see him there too. Welp, the wait was 40 minutes… mmhmm NO thanks! See ya at dinner Mickey.

Steve headed to the potty. Why is there only one potty in Toon Town? They really need a restroom at both ends of town. After the pit stop at Pete’s Garage we rode Barnstormer TWICE! WOOHOO! Jack loved it – goody! Jack hated BTMRR back in NOV and I think Goofy’s Barnstormer is a lot more coaster-ish and was shocked he loved it so much – YAY!

From here we really weren’t sure what to do. It was 10:40ish and we weren’t ready to head back and have lunch. So we jumped on the train to FrontierLand.

When we got to Frontierland everyone had waits and we just really weren’t feeling it. Instead we went to Liberty Square to ride Haunted Mansion. It was a quick 5 minute wait and everyone loved it. It was Emma’s 1st ride and I was curious how she’d do. In line she started getting a little grouchy, so we decided lunch here at MK THEN head home.

I LOVE Peco Bill’s and since we’d eaten at Columbia Harbor House in Nov, we decided on Peco Bill’s for lunch. We all ordered and Steve & Jack waited for the food while the girls & I found a table. It was just after 11 and Peco Bill’s was empty, so we had our pick of tables. I found a great round table and we settled in. Catherine got napkins & condiments. When Steve got back we took turns dressing our burgers. YUM!

While I was getting my toppings, Emma had to potty so Steve took her. He’s been a single dad for so long, he’s used to taking his 4yo daughter to the men’s room. Well she did not want him to take her to the men’s room so she threw a little fit and spent the rest of dinner pouting and bearly ate.

Remember, we’d learned over the past couple of days that she does NOT do well in the heat and we HAD to leave by noon – well, today it seemed to have been 11 we should have left by. We finish lunch and head out of Magic Kingdom and FAST!

Great update! Love all the pics!! Had to laugh outloud about the pic of Jack and Tink...what is up with her tushie?!! :confused3 LOL!! :laughing:

Sounds like a great 1st day at MK! Looking forward to hearing more!!! Now that I'm all caught up!!!;)

We headed to MK that day also. We had ressies at Crystal Palace at 8:20. We planned to make it to Pixie Hollow but never did. The kids just kept wanting to ride.

That's crazy about the stranger getting into the Buzz car with Catherine. Why in the world would she do that? :confused3

I had some Photoass pictures without Cody in them, too. I think it must be his age. He didn't used to be so bad. Now he hates to have his picture made. He did pretty well most of the trip but he had a few moments.

Woo! Finally June 22! We got there that day and got to the MK around 10:30 or so.

1st I want to say that I sat down before work this morning to load the next chapter. It was ready to go and I was just adding pics from photobucket. My laptop did something funny, and it was GONE! *gasp* I was running late so couldn't post it, but I will post it tonight - promise! (we just went to DTD for dinner - nothing TOO exciting, except I had a ROYAL 'tude that night..)

Great update! Love all the pics!! Had to laugh outloud about the pic of Jack and Tink...what is up with her tushie?!! :confused3 LOL!! :laughing:

Sounds like a great 1st day at MK! Looking forward to hearing more!!! Now that I'm all caught up!!!;)

I know... Steve said she did a few poses like that. mmhmm girl, he's just 7!! (doesn't look it but he is) LOL WAIT - or maybe she was flirting with Steve... I'll have to get that pixie the next time I see her!

YAY for being caught up!

woah so far behind, I didn't realize you started a whole new report for the trip! time to catch up!

Should I wait on you? LOL ;)

I'm glad you made it over!

Woo! Finally June 22! We got there that day and got to the MK around 10:30 or so.

Tell me about it... taking long enough isn't it! I never thought June 21 would EVER END. actually I just didn't want it to end... PERFECT day!

We headed to MK that day also. We had ressies at Crystal Palace at 8:20. We planned to make it to Pixie Hollow but never did. The kids just kept wanting to ride.

That's crazy about the stranger getting into the Buzz car with Catherine. Why in the world would she do that? :confused3

I had some Photoass pictures without Cody in them, too. I think it must be his age. He didn't used to be so bad. Now he hates to have his picture made. He did pretty well most of the trip but he had a few moments.

Catherine and I learned back in April, Pixie Hollow at open is really the only time to do it. Stil sad, Silvermist is ONLY there in the afternoon, so Cat will never get to see her favorite fairy. :(

Hey, was that stranger Kendall? That'd make sense! LOL

I was so busy with Emma and trying to drive and shoot and show her how to shoot... Cat was fine though.

Boys are SO weird. We thought the girls were hormonal and drama queens, but Jack sure can keep up with them in that department. LOL Everyone had their moments on this trip, but they weren't so bad, Disney definetly brought otu the best in my kids.

That Tink picture is quite funny. :rotfl: You were able to do a lot before lunch. I don't blame Emma for not liking heat, I don't like it either.

Kids are home!! :) It was great to have the house to ourselves but we missed them SO much! Just got caught up with Catherine on the phone and she's being very sassy. Getting very spoiled at my parents' house. *sigh* I told mom that she needs to stop letting that go. When she gets home we'll have a heck of a time deprogramming her. lovely!

Great report so far.. can't wait for more.. :)

Thank you for joining!!! :) Don't worry, you don't have to wait much longer! 1 ready to post and 1 in the works! Steve is happy with a book tonight and the kids will be off to bed soon which means... :surfweb: for me.

That Tink picture is quite funny. :rotfl: You were able to do a lot before lunch. I don't blame Emma for not liking heat, I don't like it either.

That's what I love about opening, I feel like you get SO much done!

btw- I LOVE your name. Its making me crave mint choc chip ice cream with Magic Shell on it. yummmm

We got back to POFQ and headed upstairs to change for the pool. We found some really great towel animals and animal antics when we got back

DSC03473.jpg

DSC03472.jpg

DSC03471.jpg

We decided to head over to Old Man’s Island at Port Orleans – Riverside for a swim. The walk was beautiful and not too bad. We enjoyed the scenery and could not believe just how well the landscaping is. When I stayed at POR with my parents last Oct we loved Old Man’s Island, but for some reason, I realized I like the POFQ pool better – it had more shadey spots while in the pool, and more shallow areas. We timed our trip back really well and the boat was pulling in just as we walked up.

We headed back to our room and after a quick shower, we were down for naps. Our naps were more than refreshing and we got up and ready to head to DTD.

As we were walking along the river Steve informed me that…… with the heat…. He'd developed some issues with his skin in places. He chose to inform me of this when we were walking to the boat dock (not during the previous 3 hrs). I was just NOT happy. The kids and I sat there and waited… missing 1 boat while he went to the store to buy some cream.

We were already late when we left the room at 5:30. We had 6pm ADRs at TRex. When we finally got on the boat it was 6:15. I was fit to be tied and Steve knew it. I just tried to enjoy the scenery and really tried to adjust my attitude. The entire time, the child in front of me was spraying her mister fan. Really – in a crowded area. I was NOT in the mood to be getting wet or I’d be using mine too. Around that time, I told him (for the 3rd time) that our dinner reservation was for 6pm. He said “Oh, I didn’t realize that”. Mmhmm Yeah, I was in a mood – not at all my best moment.

We finally get to DTD and I direct Steve to TRex. He had to deal with sign-in since we were so late. Well – Kick me in the butt. They had NO problem and we got directly in line to be seated. While in line I lowered my glasses had a little cry and adjusted me attitude. Steve apologized, gave me a kiss on the forehead and all was better.

TRex was a very cool restaurant. The layout and the rooms were really cool. We were a bit worried because the day before Emma had announced that she was afraid of Dinosaurs. So we tried NOT to point out that this was a dinosaur restaurant. Luckily we were seated in the Coral Reef room right next to the tank.

Our room
DSC03462.jpg

View from our room
DSC03460.jpg

DSC03459.jpg

The food here was amazing! We really did enjoy the food. We got the dip combo appetizer so we were not REALLY hungry, so we decided to split the steak. It was actually really good. We’d gotten some beverages in the souvenier glasses too. We required some ketchup and extra napkins, but our server was very busy talking with 2 other servers at another table. We had to ask another server for ketchup and snag napkins from a settings caddy someone left on the table next to us. (Service was not going great)

We were full and we done with TRex. Steve and all the kids went to the bathroom right about the time the server brought the check. Before looking at it, I asked him for boxes for our glasses. He went off to get those while I looked at the check. 18% gratuity ADDED ON! I was a bit hot. When he got back with our boxes, he put them together and just handed them to me. I asked him about the glasses and the ice in the glasses and what I should do with them…. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. I honestly said “Should I pour it in the tank?” He went off and just emptied our glasses and brought them back nice and wet. Lovely.

When he came back I asked him about the tip. He said “yes, its’ customary for parties of 6 or more.” I pointed at the used seats at our table and said “yes, but we are only a party of 5!”. He looked at me like I was dumb again and said “I guess I can adjust it”. I said NO and just paid the EXACT amount and no more. Steve and the kids got back and we headed out. I decided that NO I was not okay with this and stopped and asked for a manager. Heck, I was in a bit of a mood anyway, I’ll take an excuse to take it out on someone else (a flaw, I admit).

The manager was very sorry about all of it. From the ketchup to the napkins to the glasses and could not believe the gratuity. She returned all the gratuity I had paid and I gave a good bit back, I mean the guy needed a tip of some sort, just not 18% worth. She apologized and I was on my way. Steve thinks he did it (added the gratuity) because we split a steak. Yeah, we also got bar drinks and an appetizer.

So in short, I loved the food at TRex, loved the atmosphere but HATED the service. I'd go back to Rainforest before I go back to TRex.

Happy to be out of TRex, we let the kids play at the Lego store for a bit, before heading to World of Disney. The kids had money burning holes in their pockets.

After LOTS of shopping and not too much buying we left WOD. I was not feeling great and had to find a restroom. I told Steve I’d meet him at the Surf shop (Team Mickey). When I was done, I went to Team Mickey and walked around, and back and forth, and around…. NO family.

I sat outside the store for about 10 minutes then walked all the way around it again. When I came out the far side, I finally saw the fam walking into the other far side. Hmmm. I still didn’t feel good and I was ready to go home. It just wasn’t a great night.

I found these pics, Steve must have taken them while he and the kids were off on their own...
DSC03468_edited-1.jpg

DSC03469_edited-1.jpg

DSC03470_edited-1.jpg

We had a very enjoyable ride back to POFQ. We got to see a horse & carriage along the path as we were walking up to our bldg. Tucked into bed the kids fell asleep quickly. I love that affect that Disney has on kids…. Great sleeping aid :angel:

Great update! I'm sorry that you were in a "mood" but we all get that way sometimes...especially as women! LOL!!;) I can completely understand! And that stinks that you weren't feeling well, too! I can't believe how the service was so stinky at TRex and then they added 18% tip! Good for you for sticking up for yourself and saying something!! Love the animals waiting for you, you had a great Mousekeeper, they were really cute!!!:cutie:

We went to DTD about 4 times this trip. The first time we took a boat.....after we had waited quite a while for it. We tried to boat one more time but after that we just took a bus. It seemed like the boats would always show up FULL after they had loaded up at POR. Did you have any problems with this? Now coming back from DTD was never a problem. I LOVED this resort and had no problems with it. I think its our new fave.

That definately stinks about the service. We had a server like that at Chili's the other night for my boyfriends birthday! It was so frustrating, so I know how you feel! =)

That definately stinks about the service. We had a server like that at Chili's the other night for my boyfriends birthday! It was so frustrating, so I know how you feel! =)

He just picked the wrong night to be a cruddy server. The food was still great!

We went to DTD about 4 times this trip. The first time we took a boat.....after we had waited quite a while for it. We tried to boat one more time but after that we just took a bus. It seemed like the boats would always show up FULL after they had loaded up at POR. Did you have any problems with this? Now coming back from DTD was never a problem. I LOVED this resort and had no problems with it. I think its our new fave.

We didn't have that problem, but I can totally see it happening. After we missed the 1st boat I realized that space was limited and got in line for the next hoping Steve would make it - lucky (for him) he walked up just as the boat was coming into view.

We loved it too! Steve and I are looking at a Fall '10 weekend trip for F&W and planning POFQ (king bed room).

psst... ask kendal for me, when we saw them at AK for Kali, who was with her. I know it was her & Tracey, were Cody & your dad there too? I'm working on that chapter - thanks!

Great update! I'm sorry that you were in a "mood" but we all get that way sometimes...especially as women! LOL!!;) I can completely understand! And that stinks that you weren't feeling well, too! I can't believe how the service was so stinky at TRex and then they added 18% tip! Good for you for sticking up for yourself and saying something!! Love the animals waiting for you, you had a great Mousekeeper, they were really cute!!!:cutie:

I just get expectations in my head. I'm such a planner, I just need to work on planning the plan, then being flexible within it. See at work. I have to plan the plan and then execute to the tee. So it's just not in me to be flexible. I'm working on it, and Steve helps a lot - he knows how I am and is patient with me, but encourages me to work on it.

Yeah - stupid server! It was a good meal, but I was happy to be out of there.

all caught up! :) loving the report so far!

:) YAY Glad you are all caught up. I have the next 2 in the works. I'm finding things are starting to run together. Steve is having to help me remember things as I go through, pics are helping too! I'm trying not to rush through it, as I want it to sound good (not rushed) ya know. LOL

Okay - I'm rambling... off to bed! g'night all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter