• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our “California Adventure” a Road Trip to the West (Update: Day 17 - There and back again)

Love this update! You're in my state! :) Just make sure you NEVER drive that stretch of road in Wyoming during the winter months. It gets crazy. The snow and wind are so bad and we have had quite a few horrible scary experiences there. The last time we drove it when we were moving from Wisconsin back here to Utah I thought for sure we were going to die. Right in that canyon where the Lincoln rest stop is we couldn't see past the end of the hood of our car. And a few semi trucks flew past us only to have us see them upside down off the road a few miles later when visibility was better.
It was the scariest couple of hours of my life. I have never seen more accidents, cars off of the road, etc as I did on that day. Just google Wyoming freeway winter crashes and you will see a TON of them. So yeah, I swore I would never drive it in from October to April ever again no matter what.
It's fun to see the Great Salt Lake and Salt Flats through others eyes. They really are cool places. I haven't even been to either place for years and my girls have never been to the Salt Flats! So I think I need to take a drive out there sometime.
Too bad you didn't have time to explore Salt Lake City and the mountains. You'll have to come back sometime. It's a great city and the mountains are amazing.
Excited to see what you do next!

We went to a wedding in Salt Lake about 15 years ago and we had to drive out to a little island in the lake. There were so many bugs everywhere...our car was encrusted in bugs after driving out to the island...it was disgusting. Besides that, Salt Lake City seemed nice.

I really am enjoying your trip report. I think that next summer we're going on a road trip!

I'm reliving a lot of memories of trips as a kid to the Salt Lake. I remember a resort that got flooded and the buildings were still in the middle of the water.

Jill in CO

I am loving this TR for learning which places to stop at and what to maybe skip (i.e., the hot dogs at Burger King .... never saw that before. Reminds me of how the NY metro area is the only place McDonalds doesn't put mustard on their hamburgers)

I love the stickers from the rest area and that they have the map for where to get more ... definitely could see the kids being into that and wanting to collect them all

... oh, so how it used to be to swim in the Hudson River ;) .... I guess maybe they get used to it, but definitely would not motivate me to go swimming

The salt flats look really cool. Is it just over flat ground or is it on top of water? Just wondering how it is so flat like that. Interesting that the top is moist - goo thing you found a spot that had water to wash your shoes off after playing on the salt

It's really cool to explore the regional differences between food and food chains. I had no idea that they don't put mustard on hamburgers at McDonalds in NY.

I believe the salt flats are on solid ground, and that the reason they are flat is because all the salty water evaporated away (over and over again over time.) They felt totally solid, which was really strange. It really felt like we were on another planet. Too cool!

Love this update! You're in my state! :) Just make sure you NEVER drive that stretch of road in Wyoming during the winter months. It gets crazy. The snow and wind are so bad and we have had quite a few horrible scary experiences there. The last time we drove it when we were moving from Wisconsin back here to Utah I thought for sure we were going to die. Right in that canyon where the Lincoln rest stop is we couldn't see past the end of the hood of our car. And a few semi trucks flew past us only to have us see them upside down off the road a few miles later when visibility was better.
It was the scariest couple of hours of my life. I have never seen more accidents, cars off of the road, etc as I did on that day. Just google Wyoming freeway winter crashes and you will see a TON of them. So yeah, I swore I would never drive it in from October to April ever again no matter what.
It's fun to see the Great Salt Lake and Salt Flats through others eyes. They really are cool places. I haven't even been to either place for years and my girls have never been to the Salt Flats! So I think I need to take a drive out there sometime.
Too bad you didn't have time to explore Salt Lake City and the mountains. You'll have to come back sometime. It's a great city and the mountains are amazing.
Excited to see what you do next!

Wow! Your journey through there in the winter sounds terrifying. Glad you were OK! We did notice all the screens/breaks/fences/(whatever they are called) out in the fields along side the highway. We assumed they were for snow, but now we really know why!

I would love to come back to Utah some day. The stretch of road just to the east of Salt Lake City was beyond beautiful. Truly spectacular! It's a blessing and a curse to live in a country with so many amazing places. You love it when you can see them, but you are bummed out when you can't experience everything in depth!

We went to a wedding in Salt Lake about 15 years ago and we had to drive out to a little island in the lake. There were so many bugs everywhere...our car was encrusted in bugs after driving out to the island...it was disgusting. Besides that, Salt Lake City seemed nice.

We had about the same experience. Bugs and lake were sort of gross, but the overall area was lovely.

I really am enjoying your trip report. I think that next summer we're going on a road trip!

Road trips for the win!!! We already have plans for Hawaii next summer (to celebrate Nanny and Grandpa's 50th anniversary), otherwise, I'd be pushing for another road trip for our family too!

I'm reliving a lot of memories of trips as a kid to the Salt Lake. I remember a resort that got flooded and the buildings were still in the middle of the water.

Jill in CO

Sounds interesting. I'm glad there were no floods on our trip! :hippie:

Day 4 - Monday, June 15 - California!!!

All right, one more day of driving and we’ll be in California! Just like the other days, we targeted a departure of 8:00 AM. So we got up early and started packing our stuff. As usual, I started loading the car while the others started breakfast.

I went out to load the car and it was an absolutely gorgeous morning. Perfect temperature, slightly chilly but not cold. And the air seemed like it had a hint of sage to it...fresh mountain air. And what a view... I’m in heaven!

I took my time loading to soak it in a little bit. Here’s a view of the hotel from the outside...

I finished loading the car to find my family finishing up breakfast...

And then we played the waiting game while Dave and Grandpa loaded up their car. If I had one complaint about traveling with them, it’s that they usually took a lot longer to get moving than we did, which meant a lot of waiting around. No big deal, the kids had fun playing and it gave us a little bit longer to enjoy the cool mountain morning.

And a bit later, we were on the road. Yahoo!!!!

Normally, I’d say that the scenery between Elko and Reno was beautiful, but it was relatively boring when compared to what we saw in Wyoming and Utah the day before. So it was a pretty uneventful 3 or 4 hours until we arrived in Reno.

Our next destination?!?!

The first In-N-Out that you’ll find heading west on I-80. And it seems like everyone else and their in-laws (too) were stopping here for that very same reason. The line was In-N-Out-the-Door...

My immediate family has had it before (and we loved it), but the rest of the group had not. Grandpa is a burgers and fries kind of guy, so I had a strong hunch that he’d like it. (And he did… they ate at the chain two or three more times during the following week.)

If you have no idea what I’m talking about here, I’d say In-In-Out is about the best fast food burger chain there is. Period. It’s cheap, simple, fast, and very tasty. The fries are all cut fresh and fried right before your eyes. And the burgers are made to order. So good. I’m lucky the closest one is over a day’s drive, or else, I’d be obese right now.

If you are still interested, read this blog post from my favorite food blogger (Kenji Lopez at Serious Eats) about their secret menu. It has a great overview of the chain with lots of photos.

So yeah, it was packed. We had to park down the block. But once we were inside, the line moved very quickly. They were super efficient. But still… they were so packed, that we had to eat outside. No problem, except for it was really hot out. Oh well, ain’t nobody gonna rain on our parade!

We pretty much all had traditional burgers and fries. We saved the secret menu (including going Animal Style) for later.

Fast food nirvana right here!

As my cousin, who was raised in LA, would say, “In-N-Out… it's what it’s about!”

I think the girls would agree:

OK, enough of me gushing about lunch. Time to get back on the road. Next stop is Sacramento! We headed into the mountains, and then we were back to the breathtaking views again. Driving I-80 is just too awesome!

Before we knew it, we were in California. And a couple miles later, we came upon what looked like a toll booth.

Except for instead of collecting money, they were collecting your produce. LOL.

In hindsight, I should have known about this. I work for the country’s oldest fruit tree company (Stark Bro’s) and there are all sorts of rules about what we can and can not ship to California. So we pulled up and the guy asked us if we had any produce… we told him that we had two apples. He asked to see them, and then he kept them (since they didn’t have labels with their state of origin on them.) He said if they had labels saying that they came from Washington, he would of let us keep them. He made a big deal out of it, but I was like… “Two Apples?!?!” who cares - you can have them. He took down our license plate number and our zip code too. I half thought I was going to get a ticket or something waiting in my mailbox when I got home. LOL. That was really weird.

An hour or two further, we made it to Old Town Sacramento. We stopped here for one reason, and one reason only….

Candy Heaven!!!

Pretty much the best candy store EVER. (Too bad it was a bit pricey.)

These photos don’t even begin to do it justice. The photo above only covers about 1/4 of the store. They had pretty much every kind of candy imaginable.

We all stocked up on our favorites. My biggest score was half a pound of Tart’n Tiny’s. These little sugar candies were some of my favorites as a kid. In the 90’s they started putting a hard sugar coating on them (like Spree’s or something) and they were never the same. And then about 15 years ago, they were discontinued. By then, I had quit eating them and had no idea that they were gone... I had just forgot about them. Turns out that they were re-introduced this past year and they are indeed VERY rare. And expensive on the internet. As crazy as it sounds, I wish I had picked up a couple of pounds. No joke!

After we all checked out with our bags of candy, we explored Old Town Sacramento for a little while and enjoyed some of the mom-n-pop shops.

It reminded me of a combination of Laclede’s Landing and Main Street St. Charles in the St. Louis area. Very cool.

At that point, we decided to part ways with Stephanie’s family for the rest of the day. We would be heading to my Aunt and Uncle’s (my mom’s side of the family) in Hayward and we wanted to visit with them for the evening. And the others wanted to get checked into their hotel and make it to downtown San Francisco for dinner.

If you’ve read my other trip reports (or the pre-trip report), you might remember that I’m into skateboarding. And my skateboarding shoe of choice is the classic... Vans. We don’t have dedicated Vans stores in Missouri, and even more rare for us are Vans outlet store. So we stopped at the outlet in Vacaville.

Buddy and I both ended up getting a pair of shoes, and I got a couple shirts. I hadn’t had any of the Star Wars Vans yet, so I couldn’t resist a good deal on the Hoth themed ones. (And Buddy got a pair of checker board slip ons.)

I showed restraint, because I had big plans for the Vans/Disney collaboration shoes when we hit our first regular Vans retail store!!! In the meantime, I leave you with this:

Oh yeah, I’m totally getting some of those!!!

What next? Well, it’s getting close to dinner time. How about we eat? Stephanie Yelped and there was a Boudin Bakery near by.

So… we’ve heard of Boudin Bakery, because… well, you know… They have a bakery in the Wharf area of California Adventure. Good sourdough bread? I’m in!! We had no idea what the actual restaurant would be like, but it had excellent reviews, so let’s do it!!!

Walking into the store, they had cool bread sculptures (not too far off from they Mickey head ones in California Adventure.)

So what did we order?

Stephanie had an Asian salad with clam chowder in a sourdough bowl.

I had a bowl of clam chowder and a half sandwich of turkey, avocado, and bacon. Princess had the whole version of the same sandwich.

Buddy had a turkey sandwich...

And Princess had a pizza!

So how was it?

Amazing!!! One of the best “counter service” meals of the entire trip. Everything was fresh and tasty. And you know... I grew up eating at Panera... When it was a local chain, unique to St. Louis. When it was still called “St. Louis Bread Co.” everywhere. Being from the area, I take a bit of pride in Panera and I eat it somewhat frequently. So yeah, I think Panera is pretty good. But… Boudin blows it out of the water. In a major way. It was that good! (Princess kept bring up that sandwich the rest of the trip. And that’s saying a lot!)

All right, Buddy was a bit jealous of Pickle’s cookie. I said, "do you want a cookie, or a doughnut from next door?" Without a hesitation, he hollered "a donut."

Buddy looks disturbed in the previous photo, but I can assure you, he was stoked. The sun was just in his eyes. The only Krispy Kreme in our area closed about 5 years ago and they are a rare treat these days.

So yeah, a couple donuts and we were on our way to Uncle Tracy and Aunt Minh’s! We got to their house around 6:30 PM or so. We unloaded our car, got situated, and spent the evening catching up. We hadn’t seen them since they visited St. Louis last summer. Good times. They are the best!

(Oh and a funny note… Pickle kept calling them Uncle Minh and Aunt Tracy. Seems logical to an 8 year old. Because Tracy is commonly a girls name, and Minh is pronounced like “Men” - so that should be a boy name, right? I’m glad that they are good sports, because it never seemed to bother them and and they seemed to think her logic made sense. :cool1:)

I'm sitting here reading and I somehow missed where you said you were in Vacaville. I'm looking at all your pictures and I think, "Wow, that sure looks like the Boudins and Krispy Kreme in Vacaville." Well, duh! :rotfl: I'm real familiar with the area. I live in Fairfield. In N Out is the best fast food. Yummy.

That's funny! I really enjoyed Vacaville, especially the area surrounding that Boudin's. Lot's of cool shops and restaurants. We almost skipped Boudin's as we had wanted to try Fenton's Creamery in Fairfield. Because of the UP! movie. But, after having so many burgers and fries types of food on the trip so far, we decided that something a bit lighter would be preferable. Oh well, Fairfield and Fenton's next time!!!

You're going to kick yourself. Fenton's is in the Nut Tree shopping center right across the street from Boudins and Krispy Kreme. If Fairfield we have Jelly Belly, Anheiser Busch and Sepay Olive Oil. As well as Travis Air Force Base with an amazing museum.

OK- You went to the In & Out in Sparks, NV!!!!!!!!! I live 1 mile from it! That's MY In & Out! WoW! Small World.
I am wondering why you did not stop at the Donner Memorial, In Truckee, Ca? Or have more pictures of the Sierra's? Did you see Donner Lake? Its a Beautiful part of the country, with so much history!

Enjoying the report.

--Lori

Lori, you're right about the Donner Memorial and the lake. Both are gems.

You're going to kick yourself. Fenton's is in the Nut Tree shopping center right across the street from Boudins and Krispy Kreme. If Fairfield we have Jelly Belly, Anheiser Busch and Sepay Olive Oil. As well as Travis Air Force Base with an amazing museum.

Doh! It turns out that I was thinking about the original Fenton's in Oakland. Good thing we didn't go to Fairfield looking for it. LOL!

OK- You went to the In & Out in Sparks, NV!!!!!!!!! I live 1 mile from it! That's MY In & Out! WoW! Small World.
I am wondering why you did not stop at the Donner Memorial, In Truckee, Ca? Or have more pictures of the Sierra's? Did you see Donner Lake? Its a Beautiful part of the country, with so much history!

Enjoying the report.

--Lori

I learned about the Donner party back in school, but I didn't really pay any attention to it driving through. I guess we should have stopped! (We saw the Woodward Tahoe camp off the highway too. Being a skateboarding family, we really wanted to hop off the highway and see it too!)

Yeah, I have a lot of photos of the Sierra's, but we mostly just cruised through. Knowing we wanted to stop at Candy Heaven and Vans, we didn't really plan on any other stops. In hindsight, I would have loved to have spent more time through that stretch of the road. It sure was pretty! I keep on thinking, "Next time", but of course it's like we need to make a "next time" visit to a bunch of individual locations and spend a few days at each place!!!!

Loving this couch-side roadtrip.
The salt lakes are amazing!
Old Town Sacramento....and that candy store.....what a fantastic candy store.

Vacaville? I only remember the Premium outlets. :)

We found that as well in the past when traveling with other people/families that everyone gets ready at different speeds and it results in some extra waiting. Once you just kinda accept that as fact, things are easier to deal with though

The line was In-N-Out-the-Door...
rimshot.gif

Never eaten at In-and-Out yet - will have to rectify that at some point. have a lot of Shake Shack though so that will be the point of comparison for me

wow, didn't realize you were also a fruit smuggler ;) That is pretty extreme to have the booths like that. There is a sign near us when we go into Connecticut that says "no out of state firewood permitted" - but all they have is the sign, no checking or anything.

ugh, I think Candy Heaven and Hershey PA are going to have to wrestle in a pool full of chocolate or something over the slogan "Sweetest Place on Earth"
hershey-park-the-sweetest-place-on-earth.jpg

The Disney vans are awesome. I so don't need them, yet I feel I need them at the same time. Those Hoth ones are really great though too. Decisions, decisions

Ok, now I want some Boudin Bakery. I too am a big fan of Panera (my sister is the catering director for Panera for Long Island so we get it for parties quite often) ... so knowing it was that much better has my mouth watering.

Ah Krispy Kreme - especially when the sign is lit up and they are making them fresh and you get one right off the conveyor belt and it is still warm in the middle ...

ok, is is lunch time yet?

We did notice all the screens/breaks/fences/(whatever they are called) out in the fields along side the highway. We assumed they were for snow, but now we really know why!
To my understanding those fence things are to try to keep the snow off the roads. It gets so crazy windy through those areas that even on days when it is not snowing, the snow blows across the road so bad it can make blizzard like conditions. So those keep it off to an extent... as much as they can.

That candy shop looks like a kid's wildest dream! I totally forgot about tart and tiny's until you showed the picture. I loved those when I was a kid.
The vans! Those look awesome. I love Vans but I haven't had a pair in forever. So cute!
Boudin looks SO good. This looks like such a fun road trip so far.

In N Out is so good....I can't wait until we are out there next month so we can eat there!!!

The candy shop is great....I loved Tart N Tiny's when i was young too!!!!

We will definitely have to check out Boudin Bakery when we are at the wharf...I love brocolli cheddar soup bread bowls...yum!!!

In N Out is so good....I can't wait until we are out there next month so we can eat there!!!

The candy shop is great....I loved Tart N Tiny's when i was young too!!!!

We will definitely have to check out Boudin Bakery when we are at the wharf...I love brocolli cheddar soup bread bowls...yum!!!

The chili in the bread bowls is really good too!

The wind is what keeps Wyoming from being any more populated!! The snow fences do an ok job but when it's blowing 40+mph it doesn't matter!!! We actually have a Starbucks in my town that they built from the old snow fences! now we're trying to make snow fences with trees (I'm sure you saw little rows of trees along the road). The only problem is the trees are about 6 inches tall and my kids will be old before they grow into anything!!!
I'm glad you came through when you did because we had a lot of rain this spring so everything was green. Usually by this time it's just brown! I think you take things for granted when you see them all the time so next time I drive I80 I'm going to look at it through your eyes!!
Really enjoying the trip report!
Kari
(I think the Wendy's you ate at would be in Rock Springs based on how far out of Salt Lake you said you were. My mom and dad lived there in the late 60's when the streets weren't paved!)

The candy store, I work right near there. My daughter works in the building across the river by the pyramid building. Surprised you didn't do the train museum

Just catching up...the salt flats look cool! I've never even heard of that area before. Definitely something your kids will always remember visiting.

And that candy store looks awesome, a kid's (and big kid's) paradise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter