Our “California Adventure” a Road Trip to the West (Update: Day 17 - There and back again)

just got caught up, very excited to be following along.

Sounds like you have had a great time so far!

Makes me even more excited for our upcoming trip to Disneyland, driving down from Vancouver, Canada

Love the pics of you all on Cars. Esp your youngest and the lady sitting next to you LOL. They didn't look like they were enjoying it LOL.

The food looks great and I have to say I have not eaten at the chinese place but that looks pretty tasty. Think I will have to try that next time. We love the area with the pizza/greek food so usually eat there and last time tried the new and improved taste pilots.

That's funny about the other people not looking like they were enjoying it. We love the area with the pizza/greek food too. Probably my favorite counter service in all of Disneyland. Stay tuned, because that's where we ate for dinner :-)

Loving the animated gifs and also the still of Princess enjoying the ride!

That is pretty cool knowing you've seen most of the scenes in Soarin' in real life. (And smelled in real life too)

Food looks good - that looks like a lot of chicken salad!

Yeah, loads of chicken salad. I don't think she finished. Ha!

Shame that Pickles was taking some 'time out' that morning. I hope she bounced back quick!
Great gif!
Your Chinese meals look delicious. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

Good news, she bounced back within like 5 minutes!

I've never given DL serious consideration with how often I've been to DW. Your trip report has me totally rethinking this. The theming there is amazing!

Those are some really cute photo pass pictures. I remember those times when one kid was just "over it." Not much you can do, but she'll probably regret not being in the photos when she's older.

Which ending did you get in Radiator Springs Racers. I know there are two different ones and my daughter and son-in-law kept getting the same one after four rides.

Soarin' is my favorite ride in all of DW. Front row?! Score! Very cool that you've been to most of the locations.

That Chinese food looked very tasty.

I hear you about WDW vs. DL. I still LOVE WDW and we consider it our "home resort" (even though it's pretty far away), but I think DL is my favorite. You really ought to consider a DL trip!!!

With respect to Radiator Springs Racers, I may be missing something, but I don't think you get different ends. Other than riding on the right or left side of the track. The experience is basically the same. Right before you head out on the track, each side has a different experience, one side gets new hub caps and the other side gets a fresh coat of paint. (Reminded me of going through the old Test Track at EPCOT.)

Yeah, I think Soarin' is my favorite ride in all of WDW too. It just never gets old to me. And in some ways, it inspired this particular trip, as I always got excited during the Yosemite sequence with the hang gliders. Now I can say that I've seen it in person!

That theming is fantastic. I really love the photo op with you guys in the grizzly mouth. Looks really cool.

Yeah, those photo op spots are really awesome.

just got caught up, very excited to be following along.

Sounds like you have had a great time so far!

Makes me even more excited for our upcoming trip to Disneyland, driving down from Vancouver, Canada

Thanks Kiotzu. You are going to have a great time at DL and driving down from Vancouver sounds like a lot of fun!!

Day 12 - Tuesday, June 23 - California Adventure - Part 4

So as we were finishing up our meals at wharf area, Princess and Buddy were both chomping at the bit to ditch the group and head over to California Screamin’. That’s pretty much my favorite roller coaster these days, so I didn’t waste any time volunteering to join them.

(I LOVED roller coasters as a kid, but the older I get, the less fun I have being jolted and jerked around… especially on wooden roller coasters. But California Screamin' is a different story, you get all the thrills of a traditional roller coaster, but the ride is absolutely smooth. So nice!!!!!)

So yeah, the three of us rode it together first. Luckily, it was only about a 5 minute wait. They wanted to ride again, but I wasn’t sure when the others would be arriving, so I stayed back.

(Here they are in the second car.)

Then they road it again.

And after 3 or 4 consecutive rides, we decided to pro-actively go look for the others...

Wouldn’t you know it? They were waiting in line to meet Donald Duck. Grandpa has been a huge fan of Donald since he was a kid, so he “had” to stop for a meet and greet.

We got some group photos too. (Gotta love that Photopass… It’s so worth it!!!)

After that, we explored the gift shop across from Ariel’s Grotto. We had fun looking at all the Diamond Celebration merchandise.

We had fun browsing, but decided to hold off on any significant purchases until later in the trip...

Next up, we decided to walk over and ride Ariel’s Undersea Adventure.

This is one of our favorites too. We rode it several times on our last visit, and we also road the new version at WDW last summer too. The ride is similar between the two parks, but I gotta say that the WDW version at the new Fantasyland blows this one out of the water (pun intended.)

Even so, we all still enjoyed this ride a lot!

It was now almost 2pm and we decided it was snack time. Who want’s a Mickey Bar?!?!?

Buddy didn’t waste any time asking for one. Yum!!!

Next up, we walked over to the Carthay Circle area and hopped on the Red Car Trolley. We rode it down and back, and we had a nice time relaxing for a while.

A weird thing... is that someone on the street reached out to let their hand drag on the side of the trolley as we drove by. The driver saw it coming and used her microphone to ask them not to, but they did it anyway. I guess as a policy, they must stop when anything even close to hitting someone happens. So she stopped the trolley, and the other cast member had to go out and circle around it and give the all clear before we could keep moving. The “culprit” looked confused and embarrassed, but they kept walking… I have no idea why I just shared that. Probably TMI, but oh well… there you have it :crazy2:

OK, after we came back, we realized that the Pixar parade was about to start. We decided to stay put and watch it. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of parades in general, but this was actually pretty good.

parade.gif

It was about 3pm after the parade finished. We figured it was time to go back to the Candy Cane Inn and have a rest for a couple hours.

We got into the habit of taking afternoon breaks back when the kids were little. We’d head back to the resort for an afternoon nap and a quick swim in the pool. We found that hitting the parks early when the crowds are smaller, taking a break in the afternoon when the crowds are larger, and then returning in the early evening really worked well for our young kids. They don’t need their naps anymore, but we’ve continued that tradition anyway, as we still find that some time at the pool and/or lounging in bed with the TV/iPad really does wonders for a long day in the parks. (Funny… Stephanie and I will still take a power nap sometimes even if the kids don’t.)

So yeah, after the parade, we headed back to the hotel for a break! :hippie:

Nice update. Glad you like the greek/pizza too. I LOVE the greek food and my older daughter and I always get that while my mom and younger get the flat breads or pasta. They are all really good as are the salads. Interesting to hear that the ariel ride in DW is good. We haven't been to DW in 6 years and are planning to go next June but as we all know things happen and we were supposed to go last November and then to NY this past summer and both trips had to be cancelled. I will be making our ADRS in Dec so it will seem more real then but honestly until we actually get there I won't be able to get excited LOL. I am super excited though to see all the new things since we have been. None of the new Fantasyland was open when we were there last nor Disney springs or quite a bit of other stuff so we are super excited to check it all out. As for Screamin like you I LOVE roller coasters and my girls and I go on it every trip. We love TOT too and I love thrill rides but like you can't deal with the rickety ones. Not sure if you have been to Knotts but Ghost Rider which is their old wooden one is AWFUL. It is SO bumpy and you literally feel like you have whiplash when you get off it. I can't take spinning rides anymore either. Make me sick. Ah the joys of getting old LOL. The mind wants to do it but the body says NO! :) And I have seen that pixar parade many times. I only watch if we happen to be eating or sitting somewhere and it is convenient. But the new Paint the Night was AMAZING. What I could see of it that is. We had 2 bad experiences trying to see it with crowds but what I did see and the fireworks was so awesome. We were supposed to go back in 2 weeks but had to cancel yet again so I don't think we will make it back before it ends sadly but I really enjoyed it!

California Screaming looks really fun and glad to see you didn't have big waits

definitely found that since we've had kids we watch a lot more parades and (at least for most of them) they make me wish we had watched more over the years as we've enjoyed them ... generally Disney does a good job with them

We are big fans of mid afternoon breaks too - especially when a late(ish) night at the park is planned. Though have also had some times where if 1 (or more) kids fall asleep in the stroller we just count that as the break

I really have enjoyed your trip report! I live very close to Disneyland, and love to see how others visit the park. One of my true loves is Yosemite and we go camping for a week there every summer (the reservation Gods smile on us). I can't imagine only being there for one night, but you sure made of the most of it! It still makes me cry every time I see it again. I have never been to San Francisco, even though I have lived in Orange County my whole life. I now want to go just to visit Walt's museum and might as well take in the cool sites as well. I have spent hours over different days (and weeks) truly enjoying your perspective. Thank you!

I love most rollercoaster rides but the one thing I don't like is ones that go upside down. So....I have to admit that I have never been on Screaming! *hangs head in shame*

Yes, the WDW version of Little Mermaid is pretty spectacular. The queue theme is amazing but aside from that, the rides are pretty similar.
Great pictures of the Pixar Parade...and I could so go for a Mickey ice cream right now!!

Nice update. Glad you like the greek/pizza too. I LOVE the greek food and my older daughter and I always get that while my mom and younger get the flat breads or pasta. They are all really good as are the salads. Interesting to hear that the ariel ride in DW is good. We haven't been to DW in 6 years and are planning to go next June but as we all know things happen and we were supposed to go last November and then to NY this past summer and both trips had to be cancelled. I will be making our ADRS in Dec so it will seem more real then but honestly until we actually get there I won't be able to get excited LOL. I am super excited though to see all the new things since we have been. None of the new Fantasyland was open when we were there last nor Disney springs or quite a bit of other stuff so we are super excited to check it all out. As for Screamin like you I LOVE roller coasters and my girls and I go on it every trip. We love TOT too and I love thrill rides but like you can't deal with the rickety ones. Not sure if you have been to Knotts but Ghost Rider which is their old wooden one is AWFUL. It is SO bumpy and you literally feel like you have whiplash when you get off it. I can't take spinning rides anymore either. Make me sick. Ah the joys of getting old LOL. The mind wants to do it but the body says NO! :) And I have seen that pixar parade many times. I only watch if we happen to be eating or sitting somewhere and it is convenient. But the new Paint the Night was AMAZING. What I could see of it that is. We had 2 bad experiences trying to see it with crowds but what I did see and the fireworks was so awesome. We were supposed to go back in 2 weeks but had to cancel yet again so I don't think we will make it back before it ends sadly but I really enjoyed it!

Wow, if you haven't been to WDW in 6 years, you are going to be in for a real treat!!! The new Fantasyland is amazing, and all the other new stuff too!

I haven't been to Knotts, but I've been to a few other theme parks with bumpy roller coasters. Last year, I rode some crazy coaster at Holiday World in Indiana. It was so long and intense that my neck muscles were sore from keeping my head upright the whole time.

Yikes!!! After riding a jerky ride that that, California Screamin' is smooth and relaxing. Haha!

That's a bummer that you had to cancel yet again :(

I really have enjoyed your trip report! I live very close to Disneyland, and love to see how others visit the park. One of my true loves is Yosemite and we go camping for a week there every summer (the reservation Gods smile on us). I can't imagine only being there for one night, but you sure made of the most of it! It still makes me cry every time I see it again. I have never been to San Francisco, even though I have lived in Orange County my whole life. I now want to go just to visit Walt's museum and might as well take in the cool sites as well. I have spent hours over different days (and weeks) truly enjoying your perspective. Thank you!

Thanks Robinjay! Wow, camping for a week in Yosemite every year must be amazing. Lucky you!!!!

If you could pull it off, I'd say a visit to Walt Disney Family museum would be worth a long weekend trip up to SF. I'm sure you'd enjoy it!

I love most rollercoaster rides but the one thing I don't like is ones that go upside down. So....I have to admit that I have never been on Screaming! *hangs head in shame*

Yes, the WDW version of Little Mermaid is pretty spectacular. The queue theme is amazing but aside from that, the rides are pretty similar.
Great pictures of the Pixar Parade...and I could so go for a Mickey ice cream right now!!

That's a bummer about not wanting to go upside down. If you ever can muster up the courage, I think you'd like it more than you think. Such a smooth ride, you might not even notice that you are upside down :-)

Yeah, a Mickey ice cream sounds terrific right now. If only we were at a Disney park!!!

Oh, I just wanted to chime in that I haven't forgotten about this trip report. Just been super busy lately. Stephanie and I flew out to Colorado last week to attend a wedding in Vail. That was my first time seeing the aspen trees showing their fall colors. AMAZING beauty!!!

Anyway, I hope to get the next installment written soon. Thanks again to everyone for following along :cool1:

Wow gorgeous trees. I have some pics of those in Tahoe and you are right they are really gorgeous when they turn!! That is so funny you mentioned Holiday World. When we drove from St. Louis to the East Coast we went through Indiana and stopped in North Pole Indiana which I believe is the town Holiday World is in. We saw the park but didn't go but we had to stop in North Pole cuz it was so cute. Small world. Hope you had fun in Colorado and look forward to your next installment. :)

Beautiful pictures of Colorado. My son goes to school in Golden and he said they've had great weather.
Can't wait to hear more about your wonderful trip!
Kari
PS-great win for the Cards tonight!!!

Jumping in to follow along! We made our first trip our to CA this summer, and our party of 9 took over half of Great Mex for lunch one day. We all agree with you - it was awesome!

Loving your TR so far!!! Being from Central IL, I'm hoping to take the same trail as you in the next year and see the sights on the way out to our first visit to DL!!! Also planning staying at Candy Cane Inn, so it's been really fun til this point following along can't wait to see the rest of your trip!:cloud9:

Wow, you hit the perfect weekend to see the fall colors!

Jill in CO

Yes indeed!

Wow gorgeous trees. I have some pics of those in Tahoe and you are right they are really gorgeous when they turn!! That is so funny you mentioned Holiday World. When we drove from St. Louis to the East Coast we went through Indiana and stopped in North Pole Indiana which I believe is the town Holiday World is in. We saw the park but didn't go but we had to stop in North Pole cuz it was so cute. Small world. Hope you had fun in Colorado and look forward to your next installment. :)

It's actually Santa Claus, Indiana. Ha! A strange, but fun little town :)

Fantastic colour in Colorado!

You can say that again.

Beautiful pictures of Colorado. My son goes to school in Golden and he said they've had great weather.
Can't wait to hear more about your wonderful trip!
Kari
PS-great win for the Cards tonight!!!

Wow, I bet your son loves living in Golden! Shucks for the Cards. Next year!

Jumping in to follow along! We made our first trip our to CA this summer, and our party of 9 took over half of Great Mex for lunch one day. We all agree with you - it was awesome!

Cool, thanks for following along! Wow, a part of 9 in there. I can see you you took half of it over, as that place was pretty small. Glad you liked it too!

Loving your TR so far!!! Being from Central IL, I'm hoping to take the same trail as you in the next year and see the sights on the way out to our first visit to DL!!! Also planning staying at Candy Cane Inn, so it's been really fun til this point following along can't wait to see the rest of your trip!:cloud9:

That's awesome. You are going to have an amazing time. That drive is one for the record books. Amazing site after amazing site!

A quick update... Sorry for the pause in the TR over the last couple weeks. Life's been crazy ever since we returned from Colorado. I ended up ordering a new car, which took a bunch of my time. And then Stephanie got sick, and then I got sick. And also Stephanie's laptop died and she commandeered mine. Ha! Still feeling a bit run down and lethargic, but I plan to get moving on the TR again within the next night or two.

Oh and in the meantime, we purchased our Star Wars 7 tickets on Monday night. Maybe a little trigger happy, but I'm really looking forward to this one!!!

Lol Santa Clause that's right. Oh well North Pole Santa Clause same thing LOL. But you are right it is strange and I can't imagine living there but fun to see as a tourist. I miss road trips so bad. We are hopefully doing DW this next June but then in 17 we are doing the east coast. Flying in to NYC and staying there for 4 days either taking the train or driving up to Boston and eventually up through Maine, Vermont, NH etc and making a loop back around going through upstate NY. I can't wait!!! Sorry you were sick and I get the craziness. We are moving our offices and my mom is about to have both knees replaced and both my kids have sports so I get ya there. Look forward to your installment when you get the time. No worries. :)

Lol Santa Clause that's right. Oh well North Pole Santa Clause same thing LOL. But you are right it is strange and I can't imagine living there but fun to see as a tourist. I miss road trips so bad. We are hopefully doing DW this next June but then in 17 we are doing the east coast. Flying in to NYC and staying there for 4 days either taking the train or driving up to Boston and eventually up through Maine, Vermont, NH etc and making a loop back around going through upstate NY. I can't wait!!! Sorry you were sick and I get the craziness. We are moving our offices and my mom is about to have both knees replaced and both my kids have sports so I get ya there. Look forward to your installment when you get the time. No worries. :)

Sounds like you have some amazing trips lined up for the next couple years. Awesome!!!

And prayers for you mom! (My mom had her knees done about 5 or 6 years ago, but not at the same time. It wasn't fun for her, but she's so much better off now!!!)

Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to seeing it too.

Yahoo!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter