other places to visit, NOT San Diego

yankeepenny

DVC owner at Saratoga Springs Resort
what do YOU recommend? we are not doing San Diego that trip. That will be a seperate trip.

for 2 adults aside from DL and CA?

we are NOT coaster freaks, but will visit places anyway.

we like museums too.

is US hollywood as good as USO?

any help/comment welcome and appreciated:goodvibes

what do YOU recommend? we are not doing San Diego that trip. That will be a seperate trip.

for 2 adults aside from DL and CA?

we are NOT coaster freaks, but will visit places anyway.

we like museums too.

is US hollywood as good as USO?

any help/comment welcome and appreciated:goodvibes

Universal Hollywood is better. On to things to do.

Southern California is great for sight seeing but don't expect to do it all in one day. If you don't have a lot of time to explore you can still get plenty done in one day.

One Day Method - Pick Orange County or LA County as your destination for sightseeing.

LA County - Go to Hollywood and see the walk of fame. There are also studio tours of the actual studios you can do. If you're more adventurous you can drive around and see things like the Brady Bunch or Poltergeist houses. There are also good restaurants and Santa Monica Pier. If you don't mind rich people and no parking you can visit Rodeo Drive. If you like museums the Getty Center will be right up your alley.

Orange County - Slightly different pace. Not a whole lot see unless you like houses. I recommend Newport Beach if you're a tourist type. There are plenty of good places to eat and the beach is very nice. Visit The Wedge while you're down there. You need to head down to Balboa but once you get there you can watch people trying to ride very large waves. The beaches are also empty down on this end because there aren't any public bathrooms or restaurants. Huntington Beach is also fun but Main Street is usually crowded.

I grew up and around both counties and consider them home. I could probably see everything I want to see in about two weeks. If you're not familiar with the area it can be overwhelming.

I like the Warner Bros studio tour. The walk of fame is fun too!

There is an aquarium in Long Beach as well.

In addition to the Getty Center, the Getty Villa is really spectacular.

The Getty is amazing!

I also will add LACMA if you like Modern Art or if not see what their current show is they have had some amazing and unique shows. I know they have had Rembrant, Picasso and we saw King Tutukaman display as well.

MOCA is another great musuem.

If you like Cars, the Peterson Automotive Musuem is also a must see, though admitedly I have not done this one yet.

La Brea Tar Pits, has great tours and displays of the actual tar pits. I haven't done it in years but I always enjoyed the museum.

The nice part about LACMA, Peterson and La Brea is they are all in the same area so you can see several musuems at once.

Get Reservations or look at the schedule for Getty since you have to reserve parking.

I am also suprised no one mention Griffith Park. Not only does the Park (which is HUGE), offer horseback riding but they also have a train musuem and the famous observatory. They just did a huge remodel on the Observatory that took years and added some amazing high tech new sound and equipment. I have not been since the remodel but I hear its wonderful. Its also famous for its use in movies like Rebel without a Cause.

While I love the idea of studio tours I think a really great addition is to actually go see a TV show being taped. You can see all types including Game Shows, Reality Competitions (think American Idol), Sitcoms and Late Night TV. The tickets are free, all you have to do is make sure to abide the dress code (some are tougher then others, most are really simple), and get there early.

Besides shopping, eating and beaches I think these are some of my favorites.

In the realm of museums, there is also the Gene Autry Museum. It's FULL of western history: saddles, guns, art, jewlery, clothing, and also some memorabilia from all the old western TV shows and movies. It's always fun and definitely different from other museums.

I just recently went to the Griffith Observatory and it was spectacular! A wonderful wonderful place to watch the sun set and look at the stars. It could turn into quite a romantic evening if you choose.

I always love to visit the LA zoo. It's been recently remodeled and I hear the new gorilla habitat is wonderful (It was just added in november or so).

The Musuem of Tolerance is not so much a tourist thing, but it is extremely worthwhile. I went with my school for a field trip and it was a very very memorable experience. But a bit of a downer if you're looking for whirlwind fun.

I don't know when you are going to be here, but you could always catch a sports game. Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, Galaxy. Those are always festive. Or watch a show at the LA Opera House, th Ahmanson Theatre, the Pantages Theater, the Disney Concert Hall, or the Hollywood Bowl (that is definitely an LA landmark).

Well, I hope you enjoy your time here in LA!

And by the way, the Angels play in Anaheim.

The ballpark is on Katella up the street from Disneland right off the 57 fwy. Tickets are cheap if you don't mind the nosebleed section. I believe they also have the cheapest beer of any ballpark. If you don't drink beer it's till a great place to see a game especially if the Yankees are playing but it can be difficult to get tickets the game of the day if it's near the end of the season.

Left field is the "family" section but it also features the most drunks. Right field is where a lot of the visiting team's fans hang out. That also means the most fights break out there. You'll notice a lot of security. The Center field section is pretty cheap as well though in the afternoon you can be blinded by the sun. It's the safest section though because most of Anaheim's finest (police officers) sit in that section. All in all I've never been to a bad game and I think I've only seen them lose once or twice.

If you don't mind the trip and seeing the Dodgers lose then you can always enjoy the classic atmosphere of Dodger Stadium.

As for the Kings and Ducks (hockey) and the Lakers and Clippers (basketball), I would make sure you bring money. Clippers tickets can be a little less expensive but the Staples Center is pretty pricey and Ducks games at the Honda Center are also waaaaay overpriced especially since their Stanley Cup win.

I just posted this on another thread, hope it helps

I have lived in Los Angeles for 17 years. 14 years was in the heart of Hollywood and now the last 3 years in West Los Angeles.I love this city. I absolutley love Hollywood, to me it is a very special magical place. Here is a list of things I consider to be DONT MISS things to do here:
1. For that view you want to see, the best place to go is YAMASHIRO restaurant. It is very old and very beautiful. They serve sushi but also serve other dishes there too if you dont like sushi. Make sure you ask for a window seat at dusk. You can watch the sunset and watch the city below light up. Truly a wonder.
2.The Hollywood Forever Cemetary. You can see the final resting places of Hollywoods greats like Valentino, and DE Mille.
3.Musso and Franks Bar and Grille. This is where Hollywoods golden age greats used to come and eat. It is said to be haunted by ghosts! And they make a mean martini. The waiters are very "salty" and old but that is part of the fun.lol
4. The Dresden to have a cocktail and see Marty and Elaine. The Dresden is a bar/restaurant . It is also the spot for a fun quirky couple of entertainers that were in the movie Swingers.
5.Dont forget to bring your hiking shoes. Take a day to walk up Runion Canyon. It is a nice wooded area that us locals go to to see some nature and work up a good sweat. You will be able to see the original spot where the last 4 letters (land) were a part of the Hollywood sign, they were removed years ago.You may even see a famous face to two. Dont forget water and sunscreen.
5.La Brea tar pits! Go check out this spot. it is also near a great park.
6. The Tam O' Shanter. It is a Scottish themed restaurant that Walt Disney and other Disney folk used to go eat at back in the day.
7. Melrose Ave. This where all the "cool folks" go to shop and be seen.
8. The coffee bean and tea leaf ON SUNSET. You may see some famous faces here too!
9. Greystone Mansion. It is a beautiful place owned by the City of Beverly Hills. It is right off the Sunset Strip and right in the beginning of Bev. HIlls. It was owned by The Dohenys. They even had a street named after them near by. So my sugestion is to go to Coffee Bean andTea leaf, get a drink, then drive down the street and check this place out.
All of these places I have listed are all available on the web. You can also mapquest all of them. They arent really very touristy . To me, more like gems in this city.
If you have any questions, just ask. I will be sohappy to help anyway I can.
Ihope youenjoy your trip here. Dont forget to carry lots of change with you, there are parking meters everywhere!! And they dont mess around with ticketing and towing. So make sure you READ THE SIGNS!! Other than that, Have a great time!!

I just posted this on another thread, hope it helps

I have lived in Los Angeles for 17 years. 14 years was in the heart of Hollywood and now the last 3 years in West Los Angeles.I love this city. I absolutley love Hollywood, to me it is a very special magical place. Here is a list of things I consider to be DONT MISS things to do here:
1. For that view you want to see, the best place to go is YAMASHIRO restaurant. It is very old and very beautiful. They serve sushi but also serve other dishes there too if you dont like sushi. Make sure you ask for a window seat at dusk. You can watch the sunset and watch the city below light up. Truly a wonder.
2.The Hollywood Forever Cemetary. You can see the final resting places of Hollywoods greats like Valentino, and DE Mille.
3.Musso and Franks Bar and Grille. This is where Hollywoods golden age greats used to come and eat. It is said to be haunted by ghosts! And they make a mean martini. The waiters are very "salty" and old but that is part of the fun.lol
4. The Dresden to have a cocktail and see Marty and Elaine. The Dresden is a bar/restaurant . It is also the spot for a fun quirky couple of entertainers that were in the movie Swingers.
5.Dont forget to bring your hiking shoes. Take a day to walk up Runion Canyon. It is a nice wooded area that us locals go to to see some nature and work up a good sweat. You will be able to see the original spot where the last 4 letters (land) were a part of the Hollywood sign, they were removed years ago.You may even see a famous face to two. Dont forget water and sunscreen.
5.La Brea tar pits! Go check out this spot. it is also near a great park.
6. The Tam O' Shanter. It is a Scottish themed restaurant that Walt Disney and other Disney folk used to go eat at back in the day.
7. Melrose Ave. This where all the "cool folks" go to shop and be seen.
8. The coffee bean and tea leaf ON SUNSET. You may see some famous faces here too!
9. Greystone Mansion. It is a beautiful place owned by the City of Beverly Hills. It is right off the Sunset Strip and right in the beginning of Bev. HIlls. It was owned by The Dohenys. They even had a street named after them near by. So my sugestion is to go to Coffee Bean andTea leaf, get a drink, then drive down the street and check this place out.
All of these places I have listed are all available on the web. You can also mapquest all of them. They arent really very touristy . To me, more like gems in this city.
If you have any questions, just ask. I will be sohappy to help anyway I can.
Ihope youenjoy your trip here. Dont forget to carry lots of change with you, there are parking meters everywhere!! And they dont mess around with ticketing and towing. So make sure you READ THE SIGNS!! Other than that, Have a great time!!

Wow I am a So Cal girl and I hate to say I have myself missed a few of these things, I think I need to take a trip to some of these restaurants!

BTW I love Hollywood Forever in the summer when they do the movies in the cemetery. Its hard to believe you can find such a quiet beautiful place to just sit under the stars in the middle of the city. I so hope they do Shakespheare again I am so mad I missed it last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter