Other kids activities -- how much do you pay?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by jlw29, Aug 18, 2005.

1. jlw29

jlw29 Mouseketeer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The piano lesson thread got me wondering about other kids activities. Alot of times I feel like we're getting a great deal for our money, other times I compare it to rural PA where we used to live (we live in Philly burbs now) and want to cry at how much more stuff is here. We have 2 girls DD10 and DD 7. Here's their activities and the cost:

Little League -- both -- Spring $55 per kid, Fall Ball $30 per kid (DH and I are both on the board of directors so could get this for free)
    Dance -- both -- $50 / month for first (45 min - 1 hr a week) class, $45 for 2nd, $40 for 3rd and subsequent. Cost is per kid, not per family (5% discount on 2nd kid) (Our total monthly is $180.50) Recital costumes and fees last year came out to just over $500
    Gymnastics -- DD7 -- $220 / month + competition fees (This is her first year of competition {level 4, hopefully going to level 5 in the spring} so I'm not sure how much those will be)
    Basketball -- DD10 -- $80 for rec league, much more if she makes travel team
    Pitching lessons -- DD10 -- $35 / half hour
    Band (instrument rental) -- DD10 -- $48 / month (but we can apply rental cost to purchase price if she sticks with it)
    School softball team -- uniform costs only (if she makes the team)

Back home (based on what friends there are paying) it would be Little League $30, Dance $30 / class / month (would be $95 total w/ sib discounts), basketball $25, gym $55 / month (but that would only be recreational, not competitive), no pitching lessons available, and don't know about band.

Wow. I never realized just how much activities were costing us. Please tell me I'm not the only one spending this much!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ajm1107

ajm1107 Mouseketeer

My DS (6)

Baseball in the spring $60, goes up to $80 next year
    Soccer in the fall $55, plus new uniform ($45)
    CCD $70
    Boy Scouts unknown cost right now
    Swimming lessons $30 during the summer for a two week lesson for 1/2 hour four days a week. Plus $8.00 per private lesson. Who knows what it will be through the rest of the year.

That is in Nebraska

4. Allabtprincesses

Allabtprincesses I LOVE NY!

My oldest DD is almost 6, and we allow her one "outside of school" activity at a time. That's fine with her, because she loves dance! She takes a ballet class at our local community college. We pay $60 a semester, so $120 for Sept.-May. Minimal expense in clothing as she is simply required to wear a black leotard, pink tights and pink ballet slippers. We paid $25 for her recital costume in the spring. I wouldn't say she is getting the best instruction possible at this point, but her teacher is a professional, and if my DD gets more serious at some point we will enroll her someplace more suited. We also live in an area where there is lots to do at many different levels of cost (N of Baltimore).

5. Wish Upon A Star

Wish Upon A Star DIS Veteran

DS is involved in 2 activities:

Park & Rec Basketball - $35 for the season

Hip House Middle School Dance Party (another Park & Rec sponsored activity)
    $25 includes snacks, dj and he gets to be with all his friends on Friday Nights once a month during the school year . . . :dancer: :rockband:

6. CheapMom

CheapMom DIS Veteran

DD- Ice Skating $70 for 6 weeks (6 lessons plus 6 practice sessions) (she does 12-18 weeks per year)
    DD Soccer - $70 season
    DD Softball - $55 season
    DD Girl Scouts - about $75 - $100 per year including field trips
    DS - Soccer - $60 season (outdoor)
    DS Soccer - $50 season (indoor)
    DS Lacrosse - $85 season (the equipment is VERY expensive when they first start - around $300 for helmet, pads, stick... I got the stuff used and paid just under $200)
    Spanish (after school enrichment program) $180 per year for both kids

WOW- that is a lot! I never itemized it out like that.

Thank Goodness DS quit Ice Hockey- that is the grandaddy of expensive kids activities.

7. carone0318

carone0318 Disney-aholic, can't get enough of this place!!!

The killer is gymnastics. I live in NJ, but honestly I don't think that competitive gymnastics is much cheaper anywhere else. I am now paying $270 per month, plus $50 per month assessment fee. The USAG reg. fee of $50 for the yr, $150 for comp leo, $105 for warm up, plus meet fees which are roughly about $50-60 per meet. It is very expensive. And let's not forget gym camp for the week was $700. She also plays competitive soccer which is about $350 a yr and then winter indoor is about another $100. Soccer camp for week was $400. My ds is 4 and is just starting, he is playing U-4 soccer which is $50 for the season. At least I am smart enough not to get him into gymnastics....We are thinking swimming, but he does love golf and living on a golf course doesn't help that. For dd we are too late, she loves gymnastics and we are only level 5, it gets to be more expensive and she moves up in levels, then once we hit 7, I have to pay for routines at about $200 a shot.

The pain, calgon take me away!

8. momxx5

momxx5 DIS Veteran

It certainly does add up. I have never written it all down, so I may be in for a shock......

soccer - Spring 3DSx $45 = $135
    Fall 2x$45 = $ 90

football - Fall = $75

basketball 3x $30 =$90

Tae-kwon-do -2 kids 2x/week = $120/month
    - belt testing 2 Ds = $45/kid (averages 4-5 times/yr)

Dance 2 DDs = 4 instructional hrs/week = $120/month
    -costumes 5 x $60 = $300/yr
    -performance fees, ect =$300/yr

DS - sax for school band = $50/month

This does not include team & individual pictures, trophies, coach gifts, etc.

Nor does this include school events, fundraisers, PTO, etc.

Not sure if I want a running total of all of this...maybe why I'm not making the budget each month.
    Thanks for the wake-up to see where it all goes.

9. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

Color Guard $300.00 a year
    Dance $750.00 (a year for 4 classes a week)
    Gymnastics $75.00 a month
    Brownies/Girl Scouts $50.00 a year
    Summer Camps (she usually does 2 one week day camps) $150.00
    That's all for DD, she is 9.

10. goofyforlife

goofyforlife Sit down if you're not a Grown-Up Princess

For DD 12

Baton/Poms - $20 a month for lessons (Dec-Sept.), $65 for warm up suit (that it too hot to wear now), $15 for earrings, $85 for poms costume, $30 for baton, $25 for new baton, $20 for shoes, $75 for comp. entry fees, $20 for t-shirts

Girl Scouts - $20 registration, $25 for new cadette sash, $40 for hat, sweatshirt, & shirt she wanted. (some other small fees during year)

However- our cheapest for next year......

Riding Lessons - FREE - because she became a working student at the farm.

She needs to work 2 Saturdays a month and 1 day a week after school.

But it will be saving us $120 every 6 weeks. Only drawback is that my DH and I dread picking her up afterwards (Horse SMELL) and the half hour ride in the car.....

Oh I do have to buy muck boots for her ($20-30).

I noticed others are including summer camps:

$240 for two weeks of career camp
    $250 for 1 week sleep-away fashion camp (thru Girls Scouts)
    $105 for 1 week at GS Neighborhood travel camp
    $450 for 2 weeks sleep-away horse camp
    FREE for 3 1/2 weeks as worker for local horse camp (she gets some rides,crafts, and water fun like paying campers though)

11. canwegosoon

canwegosoon DIS Veteran

My 2 boys
    Scouts (free)-$ 30 for uniforms
    Soccer 60
    Baseball 110
    Swimming 175 (Winter lessons..might drop this year)
    Summer Act 180 (season tickets to Great escape for 3 of us)
    Total 555
    Might consider skiing or golf lessons this year.

12. mom23boys

mom23boys DIS Veteran

I also live in the Philly Suburbs and it does add up, this is what we pay for our older DS (11 and 6):

Soccer (for 6 yo) - $75

Winter Swimming (both kids)- $360

Basketball (11 yo) - $65

Baseball (LL for both) - $100

Baseball (travel for 11 yo) - $150

Hitting instrution and private baseball lessons (11yo) - $300

Summer Swimming (for both) - $100

CCD (for both) - $120

13. Brier Rose

Brier Rose <font color=9999FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain

DS hasn't started anything yet, so it's all about DD right now!

Riding Lessons - $140 a month (one lesson a week) plus tack, and show fees.

Social - (ballroom dance and etiquette) $375 plus dresses, shoes, gloves,etc..
    classes run every other week from October - May.

Voice - $70.00 a month (2 lessons a month)

She wants to add Art this session, but we'll have to see. There's only so many days in a week right!

14. EthansMom

EthansMom <font color=red>spare yourself from asking me to d

DS is 4

$62.50 per month for DS's swim lessons +$35/yr reg. fee
    $2090 for the year for DS's preschool
    $200 for two weeks of day summer camp at the local children's gym
    $60 for four weeks of day summer camp through our town's rec center

Total of $3135 for the year for swim, preschool, and summer camp.

DD will start Mom and Tot swim lessons next summer, but we won't have any preschool costs next year because DD won't be old enough and DS will be in Kindergarten.

15. madge

madge ... is soaking in it

My older boys are beyond little league sports--I haven't paid those fees in a couple of years. The activities they participate in now are school sponsored and don't have a fee, thankfully!

So far, my youngest (DD3) is in gymnastics--$30/month

She will play soccer in the spring--$45/season (includes uniform, but not shoes)

Library Story hour is free.

As soon as it's scheduled, we will do Kindermusic as well. Not sure of that cost, I imagine it will run $250-300.

16. RichNKatHolly

RichNKatHolly DIS Veteran

Whew! I see most of you spend alot on activities.

Of course, we spent alot more when it was only DS. He had music, playgroup, swimming.

Now, after a 1.5 year break from all activities we will bring both DD and DS back to swimming.

Since the kids have a YMCA membership ($12/mo) the cost is $60 every 8 weeks x 2. DS now will swim by himself and DD will go in with me.

We are in NYC.

17. slgober

slgober Earning My Ears

Wow - several gymnastic families here!! We are level 5 USAG too!!

We are in central Georgia...

We have:
    DS8
    Football $80
    Basketball $80
    Baseball $80
    (plus shoes/cleats, photos, etc.)
    Now he really wants acting classes, so I am trying to get some info on that...

DD10
    Gymnastics $190/month (she goes four days a week/four hours a day)
    plus competition leo $165, warm up suit $150, warm up leo $65, bag $45, team t-shirt $15, regular work out leos $125, annual registration fee $45, USAG# $45, private lessons $40/hour during competetion season, plus travel expenses (hotel, eating out and gas) for out of town meets.
    Also we have a booster club which requires an additional $1,000 in fees, advertising requirements and fundraisers which always come out of our pocket because I work at home and my husband can't do fundraisers at work and none of our family is interested!!
    The gym is quite a distance away as well and I would say it costs at least $250 a month in gas just back and forth to the gym. I am so ready for the gas prices to go down!!!
    Oh yeah, gym camp at UGA over the summer $525.
    Basketball $80
    Softball $80

DD13
    Dance $65/month
    Basketball $80
    Band instrument $30/month
    Now she wants horseback riding or modeling classes, getting info for that...

DS15
    Baseball $80
    Soccer $80
    Basketball $80
    Band instrument $30/month

Man, no wonder I we haven't been to Disney in nine years!! :earseek: My kids are spending all my money!!!

That gymnastics is the killer! If she didn't love it so much I would stop in a minute!!

Stephanie :wave2:

18. dismom9761

dismom9761 DIS Veteran

i don't know if I want to add this up but here goes..
    DS9-travel baseball team $300 for uniform,etc.Also $30 a tournament which is usually twice a month.League BB fall and spring are free(DH is on the Board and helps run the league-volunteer)Football is $85.Pitching lessons twice a month at $40.
    DS7-League BB is free.Travel ball is about $60 a month for tournament fees.His uniform was given by a sponsor.Football cost $40.He wants to do cub scouts and I don't know what that will cost.
    DD6-cheerleading that cost $40.She is starting brownies and I don't know what that will cost.Riding lessons $130 every 5 weeks.She has tried baseball,soccer,softball,gymnastics,ballet and tap.She didn't like any of them.
    It sounds like alot but they cnstantly want to do more.Thank goodness the baby is too young to do anything.
    I didn't try to add up the cost of going to all the out of town tournaments.Hotels,gate fees,eating out all adds up for a family of 6.

19. Julia M

Julia M DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi

I have three kids, so here goes.....we live in Silicon Valley

Last school year was

Oldest ds (7th grade)
    *school flag football $90
    *fall baseball $75
    *hitting lessons ($30 per half hour.......maybe 6 lessons)
    *school basketball $75
    *Little League Juniors $150
    *hitting lessons ($30 per half hour.......maybe 15 lessons)
    golf academy $500??

Middle dd (4th grade)
    *fall soccer $100
    *horseback riding $240 every 8 weeks
    baton I set aside $375 twelve months a year to pay for lessons, entry fees, associated travel,etc, because some months have more expenses, and some less
    *Girl Scouts $50
    *pre club volleyball team/class $300

Youngest ds (2nd grade)
    *soccer $100
    *Cub Scouts $75
    *Cub Scout Camp $100, plus having to work two days at camp
    *Little League baseball $150

this year, youngest ds may add in fall ball ($75), and dd is adding in school volleyball ($80). DD will also be adding in dance class once a week, after soccer ends, at about $80 per month.

It adds up!

Julia

20. mrsbornkuntry

mrsbornkuntry <font color=FF6666>I'm worried about raccoons<br><

I have 5 kids, but so far only 3 participate in activities (the other two aren't quite old enough). We're military so we pay the department of defense. I limit our kids to one sport and one other activity at a time.

Initial yearly registration fee (covers sports and any daycare for all children) $40

DD9
    karate--$35 per month plus uniform, belt and testing fees

DS7
    baseball--$35 per season plus glove, pants, cleats
    basketball--$35 per season
    youth bowling league-- ?? (just starting this year)

DS6
    karate--$35 per month plus uniform, belt and testing fees

21. luckey-lasvegas

luckey-lasvegas All our $$ is in IRA's - Ice Rink Activities

Ok here we go, lets hope DH doesn't read this he may have a coronary lol.
    Las Vegas , NV. DD8 Figure skater -

$60.00 a week ( 2 - 30 min. private lessons per week.)
    $20.00 a week ice charge
    $135.00 per month group lessons.
    Competitions with entry, hotel, food, photos, coaches fee average $500.00
    usually 2 - 4 a year.
    USFSA membership $50.00 a year
    ISI menbership $10.00 a year
    Props and costumes $100 - $200 a year , this would be much higher but she is blessed with an aunt who sews.

So in other words we could by a new car for what we pay out for sports.
    But I think it's worth it and she loves it. :cheer2: