OT: washing feather pillows?

disney_me

disney fan
I have several feather pillows for our beds and wanted to know if anyone has ever washed their pillows in the washing machine?........ We have two feather duvets from Ikea and I wash them both in the washer then hang them to dry. Now sue if this will work the same way for my pillows. :confused3

I have washed feather pillows many times. Put a clean tennis ball in the dryer with them to keep the feathers from clumping up.

I've washed feather pillows before and as someone else said, throw a couple tennis balls in the dryer with them. Never had a problem.

But wouldn't it be really hard on the washing machine? I'm picturing them weighing a ton and the machine trying to spin them out. I'm afraid it would damage my washing machine. No?

I have always heard that if you dry feather pillows and feather comforters in the dryer that it makes it stink. Is this a hoax?

Just be careful if it's an old feather pillow. I washed one and a seam burst and there were feathers everywhere when I opened the dryer.

:idea: I will recover my other old pillow before I wash it!

I've done it before. Do 2 at a time, so the load balances out. If you have a small washing machine, you might need to go to the laundromat.

Do NOT use fabric softener. It binds to the feathers/down, and makes them lose their loft. Use very little detergent, and do a 2nd rinse if you can. Like others said, use a couple of clean tennis balls in the dryer. (These same tips also apply for down comforters.)

I wash my feather pillows and then put a clean pair of tennis shoes in the dryer and run for hour or so and that keept he feathers from bunching up as well so they dry faster. and they do smell when wet but that will go away o nce dry.

I also just wash the tennis balls with the pillows so I know they are clean.

Denise in MI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter