OT - Toxic baby bottles!!

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Emma's Dad, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Emma's Dad

Emma's Dad DIS Dad #115 8^) Virginia Beach, VA

I just read the following article and just HAD to post this so all the families could see it:

Baby Formula Bottles Often Toxic

The article basically says that if you fed your baby formula, you just basically gave them toxic food! This is the paragraph that really got my attention:

Then followed by:
    And finally... this is what they say happens if your child ingests BPA:
    Unfortunately, the article does not go any further to state what these companies plan to do to prevent future use of BPA lined products. I don't even know what else to say about this issue... but I just felt the need to get the word out, because this is pretty bad news for those who cannot breast feed their babies and rely on formula to feed them.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Bethy Lou

Bethy Lou <font color=green>Kungaloosh!<br><font color=red>I

How terrible! I plan to breastfeed but because I will be going back to work as a teacher I was going to supplement with formula. How awful! Thanks for sharing I have some research to do!

4. Stasieki

Stasieki DIS Veteran

There is a new bottle out there called Born Free that is supposed to be free of those toxins. I haven't tried them, but my best friend who just had a baby is using them. They are at Babies R Us.

5. mickeywho?

mickeywho? <font color=teal>I think when they became trendy p

This chemical is also used in plastic water bottles (the refillable ones as well) and in the lining of many canned products.
    This has been a hot topic here at home for a year now. There is a law being written to address it but who knows how far it will go as far as banning it from products sold in stores etc. I know alot of retailers have been taking products off the shelves lately.
    For those of you looking for baby bottles - the Born Free ones are great and are sold everywhere here now. So they are becoming much easier to find.

6. jakoky

jakoky DIS Veteran

It has just been on the news here that canada is probably going to be the first country to ban this "bad" substance....hoping all other countries arent far behind, from the sounds of it, it is in many, many things we use daily...
    sharon

7. HGD24

HGD24 DIS Veteran

As a new mom, I've gone around and around on this very subject. What I've learned is that most every topic of research has two sides. As with any topic, everyone should be sure to research both sides and decide for themselves what they believe to be true. I've also learned that both sides can and will exaggerate their "findings" in order to make their research seem to the most reliable and believable.

Here's a link to an article on CNN.com. You'll see that this particular article states that cans of powdered formula do not contain BPA.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/12/04/bpa.formula/

Here are two direct quotes from that article:

"...they do have choices, including powdered formula or liquid formula not packaged in cans, and BPA-free baby bottles...."

"There's a lot of data out there, a lot of science that is looking at the effect of BPA in animals, but we don't have any data unfortunately in humans, so it makes it a little bit hard to know what's worrisome and what's not, " says Dr. Ari Brown, a member of the Academy of Pediatrics and author of the book "Baby 411."

BTW: There are a small number of bottle manufacturers who make BPA free bottles, but the majority do still use it and as pp's here have said, they are in items that we all use everyday (ie: plastic sports bottles). There have been far too many times when research shows something is bad for us only to turn around a few years later and say it's not bad. I for one believe that more research has to be done to see how BPA actually affects humans.

8. Emma's Dad

Before today I hadn't heard of BPA... so I am definitely not well informed of both sides of the table. But when I see an article that includes statements like
    I tend to perk my ears and take notice. The article referenced by HGD24 was written (last modified) on 12/4/07. It appears that there is now new evidence that substantiates EWG's claims all along that this stuff is really harmful to our babies.

Also, just to clarify... the article from CNN did not state that cans of powdered formula do not contain BPA, but rather said:
    I am definitely going to be doing for research and watching the repercussions from this recent release by the NTP. I wonder what the FDA is going to say about this??

9. mickeywho?

mickeywho? <font color=teal>I think when they became trendy p

Exactly the best reason to stay away from it as much as possible. Until a product is proven safe I'll keep it away from my kids and myself! Until then I'll make other choices.

10. HGD24

HGD24 DIS Veteran

I'm not saying BPA is not harmful, but I'm also not ready to say that it is. I'm just saying that people can look anywhere and find research to back up what they believe in and that people need to realize that this has only begun to be researched so it may be years before we know the truth.

I apologize for mis-speaking when I said, "You'll see that this particular article states that cans of powdered formula do not contain BPA." I meant to say that it states that powdered formula does not have to come in cans containing BPA. I was interrupted while typing and didn't re-read before I posted.

11. Erin1700

Erin1700 <font color=purple>At least I am bragging about us

Ok, I am exhausted so maybe I am not following you very well...but what am I supposed to avoid? I have 2 kids one DD7 who had formula in a bottle till she was 2 and is now being treated for early puberty. I also have a son 14 months old who I just gave his bottle of formula like I do every day. So is it the formula? the bottle? We use ready to feed plastic bottles of Isomil and did with both. When DD got older we used powder, but not for too long.

12. Princess_Michelle

Princess_Michelle DIS Veteran

They are going to say whatever is beneficial for them, and them only. I do not believe a WORD that comes out of them. These are the same people who do not allow Stevia as a food additive, but allow, chemicals like Aspartame in food, and then have the gall to tell people it is safe. Stevia is a natural herb, Aspartame is a man made chemical, that breaks down into, among other things, formaldehyde.
    Stevia has been heavily used for THOUSANDS of years by native people's in South America and for more than 30 years in Japan, with NO recorded side affects. However, there are numerous reports that link other man made sweeteners to different diseases, birth defects and side effects. But the FDA allows the chemicals, and not the natural herb b/c there aren't "enough studies that prove it safe".

What they mean is...."Stevia is so cheap to make that other sweetener's would go out of business, and then who would give us money?"

Never, ever trust the FDA.......

13. Emma's Dad

It's all good :) I figured you were trying to say that... I just didn't want others to think that canned formula was exempt. Apparently, EVERY can of formula in the US is lined with this stuff.

Here is some really interesting reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A#cite_note-31

I didn't know the 7 different groups of plastic. AND I didn't know that the group in which baby bottles are made, when such plastics are exposed to hot liquids, BPA leaches out 55 times faster than it does under normal conditions. That's just plain scary.

14. Princess_Michelle

Well, according to this article, they are saying that one of the consequences of the overuse of this Bisphenol A (which is in a LOT of stuff, but especially baby formula and baby bottles) is early puberty. So..... I guess find out what has this stuff in it and stay far far away.

It also lists Insulin Resistance and PCOS as side effects, both of which I have, so I wonder if it's a contributing factor. :confused3

ETA: Here is the site: http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola

15. Emma's Dad

According to the latest article, both powder and liquid forms of formula which are packaged with any metal parts will have BPA. Since you are using the ready-to-feed bottles, you should be concerned if the bottle has a number "7" within the recycle triangle with the arrows (looks similiar to this - )
    [​IMG]
    Other recycle numbers that also may leach BPA are 1,3, and 6.

You may want to consider changing to a BPA free bottle if you find the Isomil bottle to be made with plastic containing BPA.

16. Schmeck

Schmeck <font color=blue>Funny thing is now my 17 year old

But how in the world are you determining what is safe? Are you having every single product in your home run through a hundred lab tests to make sure it is safe? Do you own any foam rubber, carpeting, leather, wood finish, colored paper?

17. Avonlady1001

Avonlady1001 DIS Veteran

What formula comes in another form other than cans?? I think I've only seen cans.

18. emh1129

emh1129 <font color=green>I admit, though, that I had Disn

We breastfeed, so I can't say from experience, but I think I've seen plastic formula containers, too (the ready to feed kind, maybe?)

19. Princess_Michelle

So b/c you don't know for sure if everything is safe, you shouldn't bother to stay away from things that you know AREN'T safe??? That doesn't make any sense. :confused3

The more harmful substances you can remove from your body and environment the better. And why would you, or rather, HOW could you continue to use something for your children when you KNOW that there are doubts about its safety and it's probable link to cancer/illness. :confused3

We just found out my SIL has a brain tumor. She is only 27 and pregnant with her second child. We are all stunned, to say the least, b/c she is healthy as a horse! The doctors say it's just "one of those things" and they have no idea what caused it. SO, she'll have to have a C-section and 8-12 weeks later have brain surgery. Can you imagine??? On a side note, she is the oldest of four kids and the ONLY one who was fed formula in bottles, all the others were breastfed. Now, can we say that the BPA in the formula/bottle is the cause? Not for sure, b/c there are tons of kids (mine included) who have been fed with formula/bottles and are fine; (so far anyways, SIL is 27, so there is no telling what is in store for my son and other bottle fed babies his age when they grow up) BUT it is a strange coincidence. I don't buy that tumors just show up for NO reason; SOMETHING caused it, we just don't know enough (aren't being TOLD enough) about all the man-made crap we put into our bodies. I for one, am IRATE, that I trusted these profit seeking companies and the FDA with the health of my child, and I seriously hope he turns out OK. :guilty:

These past few years I have been learning a lot about healthy living and realizing that I used to be part of the masses that just believed everything that was told to me by the government, or actually fell for all the advertising crap on TV. When Atkins came out companies were putting LOW CARB on things like Mayonnaise and bacon, trying to pass it off for healthy b/c it was LOW CARB.... Puh-lease.

So, no, I don't trust formula companies who say their stuff "is just as good" as breastmilk, cause it's not.... and I wish I would have known that a few years ago. :guilty:

20. laceemouse

laceemouse DIS Veteran

So glad I breastfed all of mine! How in the world can some factory make anything as good for babies as what God made my body to make? Plus, it was free and I never once with four kids had to go to the kitchen in the middle of the night and fix them a bottle while they screamed. Mommy is always ready!
    I know some moms really cannot breastfeed, and it is not easy (you have to work at it a little and it is harder to leave the baby and get away) but I am always amazed at how many moms don't want to breastfeed. I always looked forward to it, it was a natural part of my mothering instincts!
    My dh and I and all of our siblings were bottle fed. When formula was new doctors told moms "Don't bother breastfeeding, just go buy that stuff they make in factories now. You're FREE!" YUK!!
    Besides, breast milk is sweet and formula tastes like chalk. Try it.....

21. momtoBrandon&Jacob

momtoBrandon&Jacob DIS Veteran

I don't think this thread was started as a debate on breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding.