OT: Philadelphia

NeedaVacation03

<font color=green>My first pair of real sneakers c
I am going to Philadelphia with my husband for a long weekend this summer. I used to go to Philly many years ago once a month to visit a friend, but some of the info is now fuzzy. I remember taking a train to New York City for the day, and I would love to do that again. Can anyone help me out and tell me what I need to do? We do not have hotel in Philly yet, suggestions on that would be great too. :thumbsup2
Thanks.

Amtrak goes from Philly to NYC. It's kinda expensive, tho. What WE do is take local trains.. The R7, which is a Septa train will take you to Trenton (I think it's Trenton), where you get off and board an NJT (New Jersey Transit) train that takes you into Penn Station in Manhattan. That costs about $40 round trip.

Amtrak, Septa and NJT all have websites.

d.kurz said:
Amtrak goes from Philly to NYC. It's kinda expensive, tho. What WE do is take local trains.. The R7, which is a Septa train will take you to Trenton (I think it's Trenton), where you get off and board an NJT (New Jersey Transit) train that takes you into Penn Station in Manhattan. That costs about $40 round trip.
Amtrak, Septa and NJT all have websites.

If you decide to go to NYC, Amtrak is VERY expensive. The way d.kurz described is best.

But, if you are only going to be here for a weekend, there is plenty of stuff to do in philly. Try gophila.com for info. History, museums, restaurants, bars/music. Philly is small enough to cover the whole center city area pretty easily.

I would nix the day trip to NYC since you will only be in town for a few days. More than enough to see and do right in Philly. Don't miss the National Constitution Center, the new museum that has been getting lots of national press (well deserved). Old favorites include the Phila Museum of Art, the Franklin Institute science museum, the Philadelphia Zoo, Reading Terminal Market, Independence Mall, etc. Fun shops and restaurants along South Street. The Lights of Liberty tour/show is a neat nite time activity.

Take the ferry across the Delaware and visit the Adventure Aquarium and the Battleship New Jersey both in Camden, NJ. You can also take in a Camden Riversharks game, the local minor league team, at beautiful Campbell's Field.

As for hotels, it depends on your budget, of course. I'm partial to Marriott, myself. There is a Marriott, a Residence Inn and a Courtyard all in the main area of center city.

Happy to answer any questions. I would advise, though, that certain things I mentioned require advance ticketing, like the aquarium, Riversharks, possibly the Constitution Center. Google those places and see if you can order in advance.

disneysteve said:
I would advise, though, that certain things I mentioned require advance ticketing, like the aquarium, Riversharks, possibly the Constitution Center. Google those places and see if you can order in advance.

Independence Mall also now requires (free) ticketing, and the tickets are often gone for the day by late morning. You can reserve in advance, though, with a nominal dollar or two charge.

The tourist office (still at 16th and JFK Blvd., I think? and online, too) sells a museum passbook that offers admissions to all the major museums for one price, and one can also purchase a SEPTA all-in-one pass for a good savings.

If you're into fine dining, Open Table can help you reserve in some nice restaurants.

mjbaby said:
If you're into fine dining, Open Table can help you reserve in some nice restaurants.
If you're into fine dining, you might never want to leave. Philly has some of the finest restaurants in the country. You certainly won't starve here.

disneysteve said:
If you're into fine dining, you might never want to leave. Philly has some of the finest restaurants in the country. You certainly won't starve here.

Too true! Now that we're living in the western 'burbs we're finding it soooo tempting to head into town for our "grown-up dinners" (although there are lots of good places near us, too).

I thought of another tip for the OP: If you're in Center City, look for the purple minivan tours. I cannot for the life of me remember what they're called, but they're great! I think the tours are maybe five or six dollars a person, they loop the great sights and you can get off and on if something catches your fancy. Some of the drivers do great commentary, too. I do the trip every so often even though I know the city well just because it can be so fun.

mjbaby said:
I thought of another tip for the OP: If you're in Center City, look for the purple minivan tours. I cannot for the life of me remember what they're called, but they're great! I think the tours are maybe five or six dollars a person, they loop the great sights and you can get off and on if something catches your fancy. Some of the drivers do great commentary, too. I do the trip every so often even though I know the city well just because it can be so fun.

It's called Phlash and runs from Penn's Landing to the Art Museum and back. On the news last week, they mentioned a new loop that runs from the museum to the Zoo. It's a great deal!

FYI: The Philly Phlash, the double decker buses, the trolleys and the duck boats are all run by Philly Trolley Works. We do all their pre-employment physicals, DOT and Coast Guard physicals, pre-employ and random drug testing, so I can assure you that their operators are physically fit and drug-free.

If you're coming for a weekend, I would definitely make reservations for brunch at the Four Seasons Hotel. Very elegant and very yummy. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter