OT - Kids interrupting adults

I have a friend who allows her children to join the adult conversations. And they are rude and obnoxious and have nothing to add to what we are talking about. I hate going anywhere with them. Her child is roughly the same age as mine and consistently likes to tell us how much more mature he is than my daughter so that he has to hang out with us instead.
We all love our children, but it would be nice if we loved teaching them manners and letting them grow up to be adults who arent selfish.

I certainly try to police my own kids with interrupting, as it is a pet peeve of mine. They especially seem to have a beacon deployed when I pick up the phone. DD has mostly grown out of it and can wait generally but DS still tries to interrupt a lot (not surprising -- he is Mr. Test-Test-Test-Test-Test). With other people's children, I don't discipline unless the parent isn't right there. If parent is there, I follow that parent's lead. If the parent isn't there, I ask the kid if it is an emergency and if not, to hold their thought until we are finished and then thank them for waiting when we are done.

I dont play that, I dont care if it is the other parents child and the parent doesnt want to parent. I dont yell of course, but I am firm.

My dd is now 16, but she was brought up knowing I am having grown up time with another grown up.

Kid is bored? They know how or should know how to entertain themselves.

School age kids have to know how to act in school,same thing should apply at home.

I certainly try to police my own kids with interrupting, as it is a pet peeve of mine. They especially seem to have a beacon deployed when I pick up the phone. DD has mostly grown out of it and can wait generally but DS still tries to interrupt a lot (not surprising -- he is Mr. Test-Test-Test-Test-Test). With other people's children, I don't discipline unless the parent isn't right there. If parent is there, I follow that parent's lead. If the parent isn't there, I ask the kid if it is an emergency and if not, to hold their thought until we are finished and then thank them for waiting when we are done.

Someone has turned DD's phone beacon on in the last few months. Earlier today she was up in her room playing ponies, perfectly happy. The second my phone rang she was down the stairs all "Mommy, mommy, mommy". :rolleyes: She is told one time that I will talk to her when I'm off the phone and after that her "Mommy, mommy, mommmmmmmmy"s are ignored until I'm done. Luckily it's usually just my mom or sister and we're all perfectly capable of tuning her out. It's getting better now that she's figuring out that it gets her nothing but she's also a test, test, test kid so like most things we're probably in for a long road with this one. On the rare occasion DS interrupts I ask him to wait and he does.

I'd follow the parents lead in that situation and try not to be so judgmental of their parenting decisions. Are they allowing their kid to be rude? Absolutely. Are they allowing their kid to be a serial killer where I need to intervene for the safety of myself or others? No. Maybe the parent is overwhelmed at the moment and just trying to get through the day. Maybe the kid has some other issues. Maybe they don't see the interrupting thing a s a big deal. So what. Use it as a mental note to remember to correct your child and raise them the way you see fit. Three of my kids will occasionally interrupt and depending on their age will follow my lead with a finger up signal. The other, an 11 year old with some learning issues, ADHD and impulsive tendencies just isn't going to get it. I could tell him 100 times in a row until I'm blue in the face. His behavior just isn't age appropriate and he learns these life issues at a slower pace. I could, I suppose, in the name of fear of parental shaming belittle him in front of others for his actions. However, I sometimes choose to avoid he scene, quickly answer him and then talk about his behavior later with yet one more gentle reminder about the appropriateness of his actions around adults. All I can do is love him, accept him for who he is today, and hope that sometime in the future with enough support he'll get it. That's my choice. Disapproving stares be damned.

If its other peoples children I don't do anything. LOL! If I'm talking I will usually stop and let the parent ask what they need or what ever.
I have more trouble with my grandchildren running and picking up the phone than interrupting adult conversation. No matter if its running to answer it first or to talk to who I am already on the phone to. Family don't usually mind but sometimes its not someone they need to be talking to or interrupting.LOL! I usually hide all my phones out of their reach when they come! LOL!

If I'm on the phone, I'll excuse myself for the 30 seconds it takes to ask three quick questions to my child. 1. Is it bleeding? 2. Is it broken? 3. Is it on fire? IF the answers are no, I tell her it can wait, and go back to my conversation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter