• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: I have saminella Peanut Butter!!!

Does anyone know how it got IN the PB? I looked and could find nothing in the articles explaining. I looked up the bacteria and it says it is passsed from people/animal feces to people/animal. I also thought maybe it could come from the lard, maybe they used chicken fat?:confused:

Does anyone know? I use the natural but I'm still scared to give it to my little ones.

Does anyone know how it got IN the PB?
Does anyone know? I use the natural but I'm still scared to give it to my little ones.

Remember, the tests showed no salmonella in the PB. The recall was voluntary and a precaution. They think it might be the PB, so they are taking measures to be on the safe side.
We have almost finished our jar and no one at my house is sick. I won't be finishing the jar, just to be safe, but it doesn't mean that I won't be buying anymore peanut butter. We couldn't live without peanut butter in our house!:eek:

Well after hearing this I came home to find our jar and sure enough the only time i buy PP cuz it was BOGO, its the salmonella one, its the 2111. Of course, dbf has already finished one jar and halfwaa thru the second, but either way I will be taking it to publix tonight to see if they will exchange. Rather not risk it now. Ill let you guys know what they tell me.

I was just talking to my mom, she'd been sick all weekend and still under the weather this week well she heard all this on the news and got up to look and sure enough she's got the 2111 one, said she had some PB on soda crackers about 8 on Friday. I said I didn't hear about this but I know I saw a thread title about it on the Dis and here I am ;) I told my husband he said we don't need to worry about it cause I never buy name brand food:rotfl: I said sometimes I do too if it's on sale and I have a coupon, went down to check my pantry, and shew Choosey Mom's Chose Jif!! And a couple of store brands in there too so we're safe!!:lmao:

We have a HUGE jar of 2111 peanut butter that is about 80% gone. I couldn't believe the numbers matched. I've never had anything that ws recalled before!

My husband bought the jar in early December for some Christmas recipes. About a week later we were all incredibly sick stomach-wise for a day. Of course, we have eaten it about 100 times since then.

I almost always buy Jif, but there was a coupon and a good sale on Peter Pan so I bought 4 jars. Three are gone, and one left has 2111 on it. I'm going to try to return it to Shoprite tomorrow.

I've got one too. Almost empty. Whats funny is it's an old jar. I quit eating pb because it was triggering my reflux (the hydrogenated oil). So I switched to a sunflower seed butter from the health food store with no hydrogenated oils. Or so I thought....I seriously doubt it was infected though, I think I'd notice a stomache ache that was that severe, and because my stomache is so trigger happy any taint probably would have laid me low.

I did call my brother though, for the twins sake, he is going home to check his jar of Peter Pan, my sister in law is a Jif user so safe there.

OMG, this is so strange. I thought our PB tasted funny anyway. I had no idea about this. I just checked our jar and it is that product code!!
Thanks so much for sharing this!

My 25 year old niece become violently ill yesterday and was diagnosed with samonella last night. She is home now but she had eaten Peter Pan.

We also had to dispose of a jar- We won't go to the trouble of sending it in.

Okay, when I posted this I never thought so many of us would have the "tainted peanut butter". I guess I should start a thread that says, "Who doesn't have the tainted Peanut Butter" LOL:lmao: I am so thankful that all of us that have it have not gotten "tainted";) Have a great day today and try not to think about that you already ate half the jar(itch, scratch, itch, scratch, scratch):rotfl2:

I am yet to talk to someone today that DOESN'T have one! We have gone through I am sure 3 jars of it and just opened the 4th! Thank goodness that it seems we have been fine, my son eats PB almost everyday for lunch now. I remember being so freaked out giving it to him the first time too, and he was well over two! It must have been a hidden thought in my mind back then (he is 4 now).

We had two jars as well. I usually buy Reese's or Skippy but must have gotten a good deal on this--I can't remember. They were both unopened. just threw them in the garbage. Too afraid I'd forget to take them with me in the morning and DS would go and fix himself a pb sandwich. Too much to risk there. Not worth the $4.00 minus my own postage or the coupons for free Peter Pan peanut butter they'll give me back(because I'm wondering if that's what they might do instead of a refund?). I honestly don't think I could bring myself to buy that brand anymore--at least for a while.

Add us to the list....:scared: 1/2 eaten jar , bought it from Target...eeewwww, got the heebies...I feel terrible for the people who are really sick and in the hospital.

Pam

Fortunately in an effort to reduce my kids' sugar intake I switched to an all natural/no sugar added brand last month:thumbsup2 , I guess that was a healthier move than I originally thought;) .

We switched to all natural peanut butter, as well! There's no sugar and zero trans fat) DS still likes regular Jif so I buy him that. I am a peanut butter lover, but can hardly stand the taste of the regular peanut butter now. I don't even lick the knife after I finish making DS's sandwiches. It is soooo sweet (and Jif has less sugar than Peter Pan). Eating it makes me feel like I'm eating lard compared to the natural pb. We prefer Laura Sutter's. Once you switch to the natural pb, there is no going back!

Ours had the 2111 code also. What's next? First it's "fresh" spinach, then it's scallions (Taco Bell), now good old peanut butter. The lesson I've learned: Never eat fresh food! If it doesn't have potassium benzoate and a whole host of other ingredients I can't pronounce, I'm not eating it!

"Real tomato ketchup, Ed?" "Nothing but the best, Clark!"

(I'm just kidding!)

I have one jar of PP but it is the honey roasted so the numbers dont match. All the other jars are Jiff. I guess we are a die hard Jiff family!! Thank goodness.

I almost always buy Jif, but there was a coupon and a good sale on Peter Pan so I bought 4 jars. Three are gone, and one left has 2111 on it. I'm going to try to return it to Shoprite tomorrow.

You sound like me. I have always bought Jif, but had good deal on Peter Pan, so got 4 jars. 3 of them are gone, and one is just about gone. Kids had pb&j tonight, and dd8 made them, so lots of peanut butter. Then I saw this on the news. I am guessing since this last jar is almost empty and they have been okay that it should be fine? Knowing me, I'll be a wreck for the next 48 hours anyways!:confused3

I have one of the tainted jars too! Thank God I read this thread! I stocked up on Skippy back in August when they were only $1.00, but bought PP (on sale) and put in the pantry with the rest of the Skippy. How lucky we didn't grab that jar instead. Thanks for posting that number 2111

I always but the big jars of JIF at Cotsco. I was lazy and didn't feel like going there. So, I have two PP jars with those numbers on it. I have only made one sandwhich from the jar yesterday for my son. I hope he's okay tomorrow.
We're all the Publix's taking them back?

Thank goodness I am a choosy mom too....all we use is Jif.

I was wondering...if you send in your lids to PP, how will they refund you? How do they know what you paid? Or...are they just gonna send you a coupon for a new jar...........:rotfl2:

If you don't want the hassle of sending in the lids, call your local grocery store. I called yesterday and they said they would give a refund if I brought in my jars. I have one unopened one and two that are nearly empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter