OT: Healthy Desserts

svalencia1

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I am looking for recipes that would be healthy and serve as a dessert. We are trying to cut back on the ammount of junk that we consume but would still like to eat a more healthy dessert. When I originally started looking I was searching for a recipe for a cake made out of vegetables (I know, it sounds wierd but it was good) and a half a box of cake mix that I got from Kitchencraft. Well, I have searched including Kitchencrafts website and have found nothing. If anyone knows this or for that matter any healthy dessert recipe it would be appreciated! TIA

I like sugar free Jello with a scoop of low cal/lite whipped topping....

or perhaps a bowl of sliced fruits with same type of topping.....

yummy!

I like sugar free Jello with a scoop of low cal/lite whipped topping....

or perhaps a bowl of sliced fruits with same type of topping.....

yummy!

She's right about the fruit and whipped topping. One day I was curious and dipped an orange slice into Cool Whip, and boy oh boy!! I've made several converts since then :thumbsup2

Now and then I'll make fruit smoothies - they really don't have to be high calorie! I use fat-free vanilla yogurt (just a little! it can still be high in calories), fruit like strawberries, blueberries, mango, pineapple, and ice. If I want it a little sweeter I will add just a splash of fruit juice (again, this can ramp up the calories) or Splenda.

If you don't want to cook, Skinny Cow makes one fantastic chocolate ice cream sandwich. :love:

I love strawberries dipped in a thin layer of dark chocolate.

I also like a chocolate milkshake recipe that I got from the South Beach Diet website. Sounds weird, but is really good (although if you'll eat a vegetable cake, you might not think it's weird, lol)

For the shake, you use low fat cottage cheese, reduced fat half n half, eggbeaters, cocoa powder, splenda and ice. Very tasty.

Lori P. :)

when we make smoothies I often freeze a can of fruit and blend it with a splash of Equate brand Crystal Light orange juice......delicious!

we also do a smoothie with frozen fruit, any kind, a splash of same drink mix (zero cals!) and half a cup of light yogurt.....OMG....time for dessert!

I HATE low-cal foods,but love this cake.

Low-Cal Dump Cake

1 box yellow cake mix (can be low calorie type; Weight Watchers, etc.)
1 can Diet Sprite
1 can Bing cherries
1 can crushed pineapple

Pour cherries and pineapple into bottom of sheet cake pan.
Sprinkle dry cake mix over fruit
Pour can of Sprite evenly over dry cake mix
Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes
(can also be make non-diet by using regular yellow cake mix and substituting margarine pats instead of Sprite)

Adding vegetables to cake mix doesn't make the cake mix any more healthful. You're still eating refined flour and sugar and whatnot.

In order to a make a more healthful dessert, you'll have to stick with healthful ingredients, like fruits and proteins. Berries are a wonderful dessert, especially with low fat whipped topping, which can also be made with splenda. Puree almonds to use as a crust and top with cream cheese sweetened with splenda and top with berries. Low sugar and full of anti-oxidants.

Seasoned nuts are also a nice treat. Again, you can make them spicy or add splenda with cinnamon and make them sweet. Grilled pineapple is also a nice treat in the summer.

Thank you all for the ideas. I enjoy a good smoothie once in a while, especially in the summer time. I have never had fruit with cool whip so I will be sure to try that. Thank you for the tips ExPirateShopGirl. I guess I never thought that way but you do make a valid point. And thanks for that cake recipe. I have a recipe for dump but this sounds so much better. If anyone else has any recipes to share please post them. I love to bake so if there is anything that involves baking I'm all for it! Thanks again...you guys are the best.

This is soooooo easy and soooooo good in the summer!

Mix lowfat or nonfat yogurt in your favorite flavor with lowfat or nonfat whipped topping. Depending on your personal preference, you can use either one or two 8oz cups of yogurt to one small tub of whipped topping. Spoon it into a reduced fat graham cracker pie crust and freeze.

For a lower fat/calorie option, omit the pie crust and spoon the mixture into dessert cups.

If you prefer to eat this pie refrigerated, but not frozen, it tastes just as good, but it doesn't hold its form perfectly. If you're planning to serve guests and don't want it frozen (but want it to hold its form nicely), you can mix a little knox unflavored gelatin (dissolved) into the mixture before you spoon it into the pie crust.

I agree with the strawberries with some dark chocolate - yum! I actually just love strawberries now, sometimes with a little whipped cream too.

I make smoothies nearly every day. Here are a couple I like:

1/2 cup yogurt
1 small banana
2 cups frozen strawberries
1 small orange
A few extra ice cubes

And

1/2 cup yogurt
1 small banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen other berries (usually a mix from Sams Club)
1 small orange
no extra ice cubes, it's really thick as it is!

I get all my needed fruit (I usually have more during the day) with a smoothie, and I have steamed veggies at dinner time.

Now and then I'll make fruit smoothies - they really don't have to be high calorie! I use fat-free vanilla yogurt (just a little! it can still be high in calories), fruit like strawberries, blueberries, mango, pineapple, and ice. If I want it a little sweeter I will add just a splash of fruit juice (again, this can ramp up the calories) or Splenda.

If you don't want to cook, Skinny Cow makes one fantastic chocolate ice cream sandwich. :love:

The Skinny Cows aren't really healthy, they still have high fructose corn syrup (but they are yummy - I used to eat them often).

My smoothies usually hover around 250 calories, they are one of 5 or 6 meals each day for me. I use 1/2 cup of yogurt, which is a nice serving size for me. (fat-free Dannon). The strawberries and other berries are so sweet, I don't need to use sugar (I never use Splenda, I don't like it). The orange I use gives the smoothie a nice zing as well. I try to stay in the 2000 calorie range during the day, so 250 is just a small portion of that.

Another thing is is good and not to bad is some low fat or no fat yogurt, lite cool whip and suar free pudding mixed in. then you can either add a few nuts or some berries into the mix. Very good and light.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter