OT - Granite Counter tops -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tara,
Is there any way you could post more pictures of your kitchen? Do you have the hardwood floors running into the kitchen from the dining room? If so I would really love to see it! We are thinking of a very similar kitchen design. I want to continue the hardwoods into the kitchen since the rest of the downstairs has them. DH wants tile but it would really break up the space especially since we already have the wood in the breakfast area.

Anyway, your kitchen includes almost everything we want and the layout is similar. I would love to see more pictures! TIA!

BTW, it is beautiful!

To the other poster, yes, the Verde Butterfly is a very dark green. We had it in our laundry room in our last house and it was absolutely beautiful! Everyone commented on it.

Are you looking at relatively small samples or going to granite yards and looking at slabs? If possible, go look at slabs. Unless you want a very uniform granite (and you don't seem to) you need to see LARGE pieces. There can be so much variation. Ours looks completely different from one foot to another. (Yellow River....Not yellow and not from China.....:confused3 ) You'd think you were looking at two different granites. But we wanted a lot of flow and variation. Builders will not even offer it as a selection because if people look at a sample, there is zero chance the slab they get will arrive actually looking like the sample, and that tends to irritate buyers. But if I cut a piece off our slab for a sample and cut a piece next to it as a second sample, they'd look like 2 different granites.

Most granites will not have this much variation, but you'll see things you didn't expect. A sample may look great, but on a big old slab you realize it looks PEACH! Things like that. I haunted 8-10 granite yards on a regular basis cruising for slabs. For me, it was like looking for jewelry. :rotfl2:

Good luck.

I found when I was upgrading my countertop, that what I thought would look good, and what actually went were two different things. DH is a plumber and was able to bring home a bunch of samples. Large 3' x 3'. We found a green granite with flecks of gold and brown that made the cabinets pop. It was like nothing that I picked in granite stores. When you put that sample up against the cabinet - it will speak to you. A little variation in color will not matter. The problem is people picked the wrong granite - not the variation in color - never went to begin with.

There is a product out there that will bring stains out of granite that has not been sealed.

Whow your kitchens in the US are amazing.....

I'm from the UK and have decided to go for the typical Light Oak......Star Galaxy is meant to be v. popular over hear to go with the oak but I would like something different....

I just love watching US sitcoms for their houses...you guys are soo lucky your houses are sooo big compared to ours.....

How about this Soul I am about 10 minutes east of Philipsburg- I'm just saying if you went to pick up the granite I know a nice place for lunch:rolleyes1
Tara! I love your kitchen the color is GREAT!

Soul you really will feel better about it all when you go to the quarry and take home a few samples. You may think you like one thing but seeing it in your home is different. Good luck and you have great taste it will look wonderful!

Soulsearching, is it possible for you to take one of your cabinet doors with you when looking at granite? We did and it made a difference. I don't know how to post pictures but I will have DH show me and I will try and put one up with my island. Our cabinets are cherry but our kitchen island is off-white. You can see how it looks with the verde butterfly.

It is a dark green granite but a little different from Uba Tuba which is one of the most popular dark green granites.

Also, in my area there are a lot more granite fabricators around since it has been so popular over the last few years. They typically have full slabs on site for you to see. A slab can be so different than a sample seen in a store.

The best advice we got was to get good referrals for your installer. Lots of people are doing it now but don't just go based on price. The edging and the seams are a big deal and you want someone who has experience doing it. The local cabinet shop we used gave us a great referral but ironically a poster on the gardenweb kitchen forum lived in MA and ended up giving us the same name! (small world on the internet).

Also, lighter granite colors are more porous than darker ones. Apparently darker stones are more dense. Granite is extremely durable but the lighter ones do need to be sealed to prevent staining from things like olive oil, lemon juice, red wine, etc. Acidic items can be absorbed over time so the sealing prevents that. It's clear and it won't impact your color at all.

TaraPA your kitchen is beautiful. Love your stove! I think we have the same microwave.

Hey look at all the NJ people here discussing granite & kitchens! DISMEET! My offer is still open for anyone to come see the granite - ok, well really we could bring Disney pics along too! I'm only 10 miles west of the NJ border, right off of I78. If anyone is interested just let me know!

SoulSearching - glad you re-posted that site - I tried several times yesterday to get in & it wasn't working - now it will!

Shelly3girls - I took some quick pics this morning in the kitchen - crumbs and all - I will get them on photobucket & then onto this thread shortly. Warning I'm about to clog up the thread, I think I took about 6 pictures! Yes we have hardwood all throughout the 1st floor - including a powder room. It really flows well (in my opinion) with the hardwood in every room. There are 2 powder rooms on the 1st floor but the 2nd one is tile. You can see in the one pic where the tile stops & the hardwood starts. The tile is only in the hallway from the garage, mudroom & that 2nd powder room. That is the boys' bathroom - they are not allowed in the more formal powder room with the hardwood!

Off to transfer the pics....

Soulsearching, is it possible for you to take one of your cabinet doors with you when looking at granite? We did and it made a difference. I don't know how to post pictures but I will have DH show me and I will try and put one up with my island. Our cabinets are cherry but our kitchen island is off-white. You can see how it looks with the verde butterfly.

It is a dark green granite but a little different from Uba Tuba which is one of the most popular dark green granites.

Also, in my area there are a lot more granite fabricators around since it has been so popular over the last few years. They typically have full slabs on site for you to see. A slab can be so different than a sample seen in a store.

The best advice we got was to get good referrals for your installer. Lots of people are doing it now but don't just go based on price. The edging and the seams are a big deal and you want someone who has experience doing it. The local cabinet shop we used gave us a great referral but ironically a poster on the gardenweb kitchen forum lived in MA and ended up giving us the same name! (small world on the internet).

Also, lighter granite colors are more porous than darker ones. Apparently darker stones are more dense. Granite is extremely durable but the lighter ones do need to be sealed to prevent staining from things like olive oil, lemon juice, red wine, etc. Acidic items can be absorbed over time so the sealing prevents that. It's clear and it won't impact your color at all.

TaraPA your kitchen is beautiful. Love your stove! I think we have the same microwave.

My sister-in-laws both had theirs done at the same place and they loved the work, so I know I will be going there.

I can definitely take a door off and I have a tile in the garage that I can bring that's not the problem. The problem is the lighting, it is so different everywhere I go and bring home a 3x3 piece of granite just doesn't cut it. It scares the bejeebees out of me. ya go outside it's one color, your in the store it's another color, you take it home it's another color. What's a woman to do??

I would love to see your kitchen, if you can post a pic.

Hey look at all the NJ people here discussing granite & kitchens! DISMEET! My offer is still open for anyone to come see the granite - ok, well really we could bring Disney pics along too! I'm only 10 miles west of the NJ border, right off of I78. If anyone is interested just let me know!

LOL I think that is right by my Wegman's run? I am about 10 miles the other way from the border-

Ok get ready, here they come. They are all DARK, sorry. I'm no whiz with the camera, and when I had the lights on they glared. It's very cloudy here & starting to flurry, so not much natural light....

this is coming in from the garage/mudroom/powder room - tile stops here & hardwood starts
IMG_2546.jpg

looking into the breakfast room
IMG_2549.jpg

Looking down the hall towards family room & beyond - lots of hardwood!
IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

WOW, tara........
your house is gorgeous!! :cloud9:
did you use a designer, or did you do it yourself? (the colors, the accessories, literally everything is beautiful ~ honestly, your home is much more striking than any i've seen in magazines)

i think i might incorporate a few of your ideas into my own home........:thumbsup2

laurie s

Wow Tara!!!:thumbsup2 That is one gorgeous kitchen. Is your table round? Doesn't look like it. I am hunting for a round that seats 6 that is cute and not country looking.
Any good accessory stores that I don't know about in the area? I keep hearing there is one in Philipsburg- off 22 near 57 but I can't find it?
Really nice kitchen thanks for sharing it!

You are all really too kind...geez I'm flattered! I know I'm very lucky to have this kitchen, it is my dream kitchen. You should see the kitchen I had at my old house...1983 with peeling fake tile linoleum, bad mismatched appliances, rusting baseboard heaters....etc.etc.

The breakfast room table is bar-height rectangular & opens up to a large square to seat 8. It's s little too country for what I wanted, but oh well. Hey idea - anyone want to come Dis scrapbook? I'm not a big scrapbooker, just the basic, but I need to get my '07 trip pics in some sort of album. I could open up that table for once & make use of it!

A lot of my accessories are from....are you ready....the Thrift store! I'm a HUGE bargain shopper. Obviously, or I wouldn't have a house like this! We have an incredible Thrift Store right down the street from me. There is a great accessory store also down the street called Blissful Home - there is another one somplace in NJ - it's GORGEOUS home accents & accessories. I've gotten a few items there & love them all. I also like to pick over the clearance at Michaels. Hmmm now we could meet up to go check out our Thrift Store!

Someone asked if I used a designer. I had a kitchen designer design the layout & cabinets. He was from the cabinet shop where we had them made. Other than that I picked the rest. I had cut pictures from magazines for years to get an idea of what I wanted. We spend most of our time in the kitchen so I wanted it to be just what I wanted, and it is. My kitchen is simple compared to some of the others in the development. Most people around here have designers AND decorators. Thanks but I'll get my stuff from the Thrift Store & be happy with it!

Someone mentioned Wegmans - the one on 248 at Rt 33? I'm actually south of there about 20 min. Again....the invitation is open - scrapbooking, Thrift Store shopping....the list goes on! Can you tell DH has been away for 3 weeks & I'm craving adult conversation?????? I'm practically begging strangers to come to my home. I really need to get a life!

I got used to working 35 hours a week during the holidays & the kids & DH being home....now that I'm back to 8 hours a week, kids are in school all day & DH is travelling for work - I find that some days the only humans I talk to are the kids when they're home!

I really do need some motivation to scrapbook my '07 Disney pics...so if anyone wants to come over & kick my butt into gear & work on it together I'm game!

Ok back to the thread, took DH to the airport at 4am & kids are on the bus....so once again I'm ready to yap! Anyway - what do you all use to clean your granite? I mean daily wiping down, not heavy duty cleaning. Everything I use streaks - Windex, 409, Clorox Clean-up, etc. I do have a black bottle of something called Marba Mist which is the only thing I've found to make it shiny with no streaks, but it has an unpleasant odor. I can't find the Marba Mist in stores.

Also - how often to you need to re-seal granite, and what product do you use for that?

I can't find the Marba Mist in stores.

Also - how often to you need to re-seal granite, and what product do you use for that?

Only use cleaners made for granite on granite. That means nothing in your grocery store. Where did you get your granite from?? Home Depot sells a package of products. They are in Black Spray bottles and sounds like your Marba Mist. It comes with an every day cleaner, an antibacterial cleaner, a polish and a sealant. The kit is around $25-$30. I have not noticed a bad odor.

I seal mine once a year, when I am going to be away for a couple of days. It's easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!