OT: Garage Sale Pricing

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
I hate having garage sales. And when I called my sister to see if she wanted to have one, she said "you might as well ask me if I want to have a tooth pulled with no novacaine".

But I have decided I need to have one because there is just too much junk in this house and it is too good to throw away. So how does everyone price their stuff....
albums
cds
toddler clothes
handbags
books

Everything else is just miscellaneous and I'll have to figure it out. Just wanted some ideas. We are in Connecticut. Thanks!

The standard around here for books is 50 cents for paperback books and $1 for hardbacks. Good luck!

Just had a sale on Saturday myself (BTW - I hate them too - way too much work). Anyway, books were around .25 to $1, depending on condition, CD's at $1. I priced my girls' clothes (2T - 10) anywhere from .25 to $2. The biggest thing for me was to price a little high, and if someone offered me less, I would take it. We donated everything to Goodwill that was left, but none of us could take the tax deduction because we don't itemize (not enough other stuff), so to me, it was better to take anything someone offered than to not get anything at all. Just be as flexible as you can. I had hoped to make $60, wanted $100, and ended up making $160. Good luck!

My Dsis and I just had one this past weekend. We made $500 between the two of us. That money comes in very handy and it is worth the time put into it for me. We priced clothes from .25-$2.00 too. We had tons of toys from .25-$20.00. Books from .25-$3.00, lots of bags and purses, booster car seats, etc. Good luck and have fun. We do it once a year and its well worth it!!

Paperback books won't sell for more than $.25 around here. Hardcovers are normally $.25 - $.50 for novels and thin children's books. "Nice" hardcover children's books and coffee table books go for about $1.00.

Cds will not sell for more than $1.00 around here...$.50 is about normal.

Albums will probably not sell at all. You might get some interest if you price them at $.25 each. Be sure to weed through them and pull out anything which might have some value (Elvis, Beatles, etc.)

Children's clothing is $.25 to $.50 for "normal" clothing. Name brands like Gymboree, GAP, Old Navy, Children's Place, etc. will sell much higher. Start those items at $1.00 to $4.00 depending on style and condition.

Handbags you'd have to price based on condition, materials, and brand. A vinyl Wal Mart bag in mint condition might get $.50 to $1.00, but a name brand bag in average condition could probably sell for $35.

Cds $1.00-3.00 (depends on what it is). I sell paperbacks for .50 and hardbacks for $1.50 (new, read once condition) and they have always sold. Albums I had NO luck with, ended up selling a boxful for.50, on the third day of the sale.
As far as clothes and handbags, namebrands go a lot higher than others. A lot depends on the condition too. I have seen clothes at Garage Sales that I wouldn't even donate to Goodwill. Stains or rips should go in the rag bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter