OT: Diet discussion if you don't mind! :)

plummer925

DIS Veteran
For those of you who are on diets, what are you on, and how have they worked for you?

Just looking for advice and ideas....I have abt 95 pounds to lose.

Thanks!! :goodvibes

I have been on weight watchers for 2 1/2 years and love it. So far I have lost over 50 pounds!! Good luck on your weight loss!!

I am back to Weight Watchers - 4 weeks, 14 pounds. 10 more to go. I have tried many - Atkins, South Beach, Seattle Sutton, 6-day body makeover, etc...

Weight Watchers is my true blue.

You should come on over to the WISH boards. There's so many friendly, helpful people there who are all trying to lose/maintain weight and stay healthy.

As for what's worked for me, just staying with the sensible basics has helped me the most. No junk food or trigger foods in the house, portion control, keeping busy, and making daily exercise my goal.

Best of luck to you!!!

pearlieq said:
You should come on over to the WISH boards. There's so many friendly, helpful people there who are all trying to lose/maintain weight and stay healthy.

As for what's worked for me, just staying with the sensible basics has helped me the most. No junk food or trigger foods in the house, portion control, keeping busy, and making daily exercise my goal.

Best of luck to you!!!

Thanks! :) I will check out the WISH boards tomorrow...I'm off to bed for tonight - have the fire inspector coming first thing in the morning for our adoption inspection! :banana: (Gosh, I hope I pass! :teeth: )

Thank you so much for the ideas everyone - I have the weight watchers info and was seriously considering that one....I'm kind of wondering if I should do flex or core though....I think both plans have their definite benefits....

I've lost about 70 pounds in 3 years with eating better, exercising more, lifting weights and such. My health is much better than it has been in years, and I'm planning to become a personal trainer in the next couple of years.

I still have 20 or so I want to lose. I'm just trying to cut back a bit more on the junk I do eat, and I expect to be at a very healthy weight for me this year.

I was talking to someone who I work with (well, sort of - I call and talk to a variety of people, but I consider her a colleague of sorts). She was telling me how she was starting a new diet, she has a lot of weight to lose. She's tried to lose many times. I talked to her about 20 minutes, and just told her to take it slow. Make small changes - walk a little, cut out something unhealthy from her diet, eat better foods. It doesn't have to be a lot at first - I keep making small changes to lose a little more even now.

The way I've looked at food and exercise has changed since I started. I think of it more about my health, not just my weight.

I've lost about 22 pounds in the past 7 or so months by walking as often as I can-usually 2 miles 3-5 times a week, and making healthier food choices. I try counting calories, though quite informally. We eat fast food a couple times a week, but you can eat healthier even there. I went from having a spicy tendercrisp sandwich (about 800 calories) to a Whopper Jr. with no mayo (just over 300 calories) at Burger King. I steal a few fries from my DH, and sip his soda. At home, I still make what I like, I just eat less of it. The freezer has been a godsend! I'm allergic to artificial stuff, so "diet" foods aren't an option for me. I've still got about 20 lbs. to go. I wish I could lose it before our trip in June, but I'd rather take it off a little to a time and keep it off!

I have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for 4+ years.

I firmly believe you can't lose weight and keep it off without exercise. I work out usually 5 days a week.

Also, no fried foods, no empty calories, and plates filled with 3/4 veggies. I also don't eat meat . . .

It also helps to drink lots of low calorie HOT drinks. They fill you up, hydrate you, and, if you drink green tea, it's full of antioxidants. Sugar free hot chocolate is another fav!

Good luck!!!

I've lost 23 pounds so far by eating really low fat. I gave up fast food places, fried foods, mayonaise, butter and most salad dressing. I now eat, alot of bagels, turkey, chicken, lean ham, veggies, fruit and alot of cereal...mostly Raisin Bran or even Frosted Flakes. Those are my two faves along with Cinnamon Life.

The hardest thing for me is the butter, mayo and salad dressings...especially ranch.....BUT I don't get hungry on this diet. I really only watch my fat intake, not calories and if I'm hungry....I eat. I can't do diets with calorie limitations, where when you reach a certain calorie total you are done for the day. Those back fire on me because I wind up getting too hungry and then I eat whatever and usually overeat.

I also downloaded four Disney songs onto my computer that excercise to 4-5 days a week. Be Our Guest, Supercalifragilisticexpaildous, Under the Sea and Circle of Life. It works out to 15 minutes of music and I know I could do better, but then I probably wouldn't do it. I love these songs and have fun excercising to them.

So far so good and I FEEL better, I'm not so tired, I have more energy and
I love my clothes getting baggy! :goodvibes I leave for Disney in 19 days and I plan to do a little clothes shopping a few days before, I can't wait! :banana:

I have lost about 23 lbs. because in December the doctor told me I had Type 2 diabetes. Not a good way to go on a diet, but I have managed and I am making it work. I know it is gonna be hard on our upcoming trip to WDW..no :mickeybar for me, but it works out pretty good because DD2 will be with us and since she is not on the dining plan she does not get her own snack per day so now she can just have mine...LOL

I eat foods with Splenda, lots of fruit and veggies and mostly tukey or chicken because I am not a red meat fan. I am not one to exercise much because I have so much else going on but I am always on my feet so I am getting some in there!!!

Just stay focused and stay positive.. If you fall off the wagon just jump back on and don't beat yourself up for a mistake!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! :banana: :banana:

I don't say "no" to anything, as long as it's in moderation.

I tend to do about 2/3 of my plate as vegetables, sometimes more. Tonight I made a boneless turkey breast - I had about 4 ounces of that, as well as two cups of steamed broccoli, one cup of steamed carrots. Also one slice of bread that was homemade by my husbands grandmother. For one meal (I have about 5 a day), I had a smoothie with lots of fruit - I have one almost every day.

I also have chocolate pretty much every day. I just try not to eat too much of it. If there is something I can't control myself around, I don't stock it. I'm sticking between 1700 and 1800 calories most days right now.

I do eat some fried foods - rarely fast food, almost never. But if I make fries or tots for my husband, I will often have a few (I made some for him tonight, but I didn't want to add the calories today). I tend to make my empty calories something I REALLY like, not just chips or regular junk food.

I write down everything I eat, with the calorie count (as close as I can get).

I also find that items like the 100 calorie Nabisco snack packs are filling and don't make me want to rush and get more.

Squash tastes great steamed. I've experimented more with different fruits as well (I just discovered that I like kiwis).

I walk nearly every morning, and work out and walk most afternoons/evenings.

I often stand while typing on my laptop. I also try to remember to do squats and such while doing that, but often forget. :)

I agree with the WISH boards! There are a lot of awesome people over there who are great inspirations!

As for me I follow the Body for Life eating plan and do my own workout plan although I did follow there plan for 6 months but I finally needed to kick it up.

ETA: Good luck with the inspection tomorrow!

I have about 40 pounds I need to lose. So far I have lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks simply by starting to exercise about 25 minutes a day, 6 days a week. I still eat fast food 1-2 times a week. I still eat a bit of chocolate most days. I just needed to get my rear in gear! I've tried Weight Watchers before, and was pretty successful at it, but then would gain it back after I went off of it. It works very well for some people, but I just decided I needed to do something about my health where I didn't feel I was being deprived of anything. I find with the exercising, I am reducing my stress levels, it really has upped my metabolism (gee, just like they say!!! :rolleyes: ) so that I don't find myself snacking nearly as often. Before I started this, I would be scrounging the cupboards all darn day! Now I have my lunch and realize, wow, it's 4:30 and I haven't snacked in 5 hours! I am rarely hungry after dinner either.

The exercise I am doing I actually found on our cable of all things....we have Comcast digital cable with On Demand- while I was flipping around, I realized there are 30-40 workouts in an exercise section of the On Demand- there are always 2-3 low impact, simple, fun and EASY walking for weight loss workouts, only 15 minutes each. I try to do 2 every day. I can easily squeeze these in during my DD's naptime! Before it was always a pain to try and get out for a walk (making sure I had a bottle, blankies, a toy for her....and then if my older DSs were with me, forget it, cause they can walk at a snail's pace)....

I'm really feeling good about myself. 4 pounds lost and I don't feel like I am 'dieting' at all! I am trying to make sure I get my 5 servings of produce each day, drinking 10-12 glasses of H20; I can't do those high protein diet because I make uric acid kidney stones- can't do more than 8-10 ounces of protein a day. And I HAVE to drink the water, so that part is a must....

GOOD LUCK! You can DO IT! And for easy exercise DVDs, I highly recommend anything by Leslie Sansone- she does these walking for weight loss workouts and they are very easy, yet effective and motivating! I'm a convert! :cheer2:

My only problem with WISH is that if I ever get online to read some encouragement or get recipe ideas, I end up Dising instead of going to the gym!

I started Weight Watchers last June and have had great luvk with it. I started out wanting to lose 10 pounds and it worked so well that I ended up losing 30. It worked really well and I liked it. It was eating real world food.

I'm a poster girl on what "NOT" to do...

1. Curves - joined that, you get locked into automatically deducting the monthly fee from your checking account. and the resistance "cycle" they have can be hard on the knees, and doesnt give you as much as simple weights in a gym or at home - but it is a motivator for many many people, just not me... and they earn money on people like me!!

2. LA Weight loss, I got hooked on the commercials, went to find out how much, and again, before you know it, $500 and a one year commitment - good thing the inspector general gives you a 3 day grace period to back out of contracts!! Lots of double speak before getting to the bottom dollar!! Again, I think this could work, but they seem to know how to "sell" things, vitamins etc... you would have to be strong and committed, you do some liquid diet, and mainly cutting back calories and exercising, sounds familiar!!

3. For message boards with emphasis on Weight watchers Dottie's Weight Loss zone is the best - I believe its www.dwlz.com

4. Oprah did a show on "personal makeovers" in which she was talking to 4 guests 3 months after their journey's - she talked about the need to journal the ONE question every day - who am I? I think that was it, all I know just watching the show, I related all to well to one of the guests, and I have a better understanding on why I"m turning to food to comfort, but now I"m just really scared!! try www.oprah.com and find more information!!

I think there is a lot on the "seek and you shall find" - seek a diet buddy, seek support - you can find it. You have to be determined to do it for you... and you have to be committed. You have to find "me" time. That's my downfall, finding time for "me" takes away from family. I"m getting up at 5:30 am and going to bed after 11, I cant do it before or after my day! I am very very good at excuses, and "acceptance",,, mind games I play with myself!

I've had great success (32 lbs since December 26th) using richard simmons.com. His program is pretty simple and based on actual foods not diet foods. You can follow a personalized meal plan or your own using exchanges posted on the site. I'm at 1600 calories a day and I am allowed: 5 oz protein, 5 starches, 5 veggies, 2 fruit, 2 dairy, and 1 extra. It is a ton of food and I am never hungry. I have to force myself to eat it all but I am consistently losing. :banana:

It is very reasonable- $19.95 for the first 3 months and then $9.99/month after that. The community is very supportive and there are some great message boards you can post on. There are online journals to use, recipes, and a ton of information and motivation.

The key to his program and what he stresses is exercise but I love his videos. There more like dancing than exercising. I bought most of my videos of ebay for less than $5 each.

I've lost 12 lbs so far on the South Beach Diet. I'm 3 weeks in and I feel great. I've been feeding my kids the same kinds of food and they are doing good on it. They are learning to eat more veggies and it's been difficult sometimes.

It's pretty much 3 grain/starches, 2-3 dairy, 3 proteins (2-3 ozs.) or more (eat til satisfied) and 4.5 cups of veggies at least a day. Plus, 1/2 cup of beans a day and nuts/natural pb. The idea is to eat healthy and balanced 6 meals a day 3 meals and 3 snacks.

A good support system is important! I found one board that gives me everything I need.

good luck on findind the one that works for you and losing weight!

Does anyone have a discount code for joining weight watchers online? Has anyone tried the online version rather than going to the actual meetings?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter