OT - child skipping a grade

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by adventure_woman, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Ginny Favers

Ginny Favers <font color=green>I told my husband I think they m

I will never forget the test I took in third grade before I was one of 3 children in my grade admitted into the "Academically Talented" program. I found it to be so incredibly fun and interesting. It was not book-smarts (as I find myself to be only average with those things), but it was like a bunch of puzzles. At the time I had no idea what it was for... I just found it to be so enjoyable. And the program itself was a lot of fun, too-- we got do "stories with holes in them" and design board games and have our own news program. While much of school bored me, that program excited me!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pigletto

pigletto DIS Veteran

Thank you for your response. You are correct on all points. I took her in 8th grade for assessment and she was diagnosed as having ADD. We very cautiously tried medication. What happened was a bit of a process. Her confidence grew, and she was more ordered for sure. Sadly though she began losing weight she didn't have to lose and when the meds wore off around 4 or 5pm she was moody and full of rage. We had never had a single behaivoural issue before. It was the withdrawal. She said she hated how it felt when they wore off and she had a tremor and was so angry every evening. It just got to the point where the benefits of the meds were far fewer than the drawbacks.

She's still maintaining a 75 average in high school so it's not too bad. She's brilliant though and gets the "you have so much potential" speech from her teachers often.
    What took so long to identify what was going on with her is that she is EXACTLY like me:rolleyes1. I didn't see it as weird because I was the same way as a child. I did learn other ways to manage as I got older and now that I am aware of it all I keep a close eye on her and don't apply too much pressure. She will be ok.. more than ok. She's got a bright future, it just might not be the traditional route.

4. platamama

platamama Mouseketeer

5. Zim

Zim Meow meow

I skipped 7th and my DD has a December birthday and I put her in early (back when they were still admitting children with birthdays as late as December.)

Skipping 7th was harder, friends who considered themselves smarter than me (and may have been I skipped on a fluke!) resented it and I never really connected to kids in my grade. And it was certainly frustrating in college when everyone turned 21 and I didn't turn 21 until after I graduated. Although you could always take a year to do something constructive (or not so constructive - like working on a Disney cruise ship!) before heading to college!

Anyway, even with all that, I still put my daughter in school a year early. They put her in the younger 1st graders class on account and then moved her within a month to the higher level classroom as she was already reading and essentially assisting the teacher with other students.

Now she's in high school and loves it. All her friends drive and work and she can't wait to be able to do the same. But she has no regrets... school has never really been a challenge. She's a very responsible, mature person and I have found no need to give her a set of rules that were any different from the restrictions her friends have. I definitely think it's key to do this move when they're younger, it's more socially awkward later in life.

6. Fyrefly

Fyrefly Mouseketeer

She's bored it sounds like and you already held her back. It's not skipping, its putting her into the right class and if you do it early she's still going to make friends and be in the same class for 2nd-5th grade.

It sounds like she'll be a year "too young" for a month or less and then she'll age up. I started at 4 and my birthday is in November. The worst thing that happened was I had to take my parents along for a bunch of college stuff because I legally couldn't sign off for myself until November. Other than that, no issues.

I think she'll be way worse off if you keep her where she is.

7. Wynnebee

Wynnebee Earning My Ears

I have three children. My oldest didn't attend school until 1st grade. We didn't skip kindergarten but we weren't required to send her so we didn't. She started 1st grade when she was 7 (late birthday). Both she and my son were tested for the gifted program in 2nd grade. She was able to attend a class for accelerated learners and did fabulous. By the time my son reached that grade they no longer offered the class. He was miserable in school. He was bored and frequently asked to help other kids. Even though he had a GIEP the school didn't always follow it. We ended taking him out of school in the middle of 3rd grade and doing cyber school. He's a different child now because he can study more subjects at a pace that is suitable for him. He's become more outgoing and confident and loves school now.

We started cyber school with my oldest for 6th grade. She misses the social aspect but gets to spend more time during science and loves that aspect. My youngest lucked out because they opened an IB charter school and she was eligible to attend. We've never felt the need to get her tested because she is happy and likes school. She gets to be immersed in a curriculum that is much broader than what the public schools in our area offer.

I do want to mention as well, that each child is very different. My oldest is very bright but also very lazy and unorganized. We have to monitor her school work closely and always stay on top of her. My son has is borderline on the spectrum and had developed a "routine" that he likes to,follow every day. If it gets interrupted he can get flustered but he has learned that he can adapt to change more easily at home.

8. cheer25mom

cheer25mom DIS Veteran

this was me as well. I was tested in 3rd grade, and "gifted day" was the highlight of my weel in elementary school. We studied Shakespeare, famous artists, computer programming, systems of governmnet, and lots of other things on a deeper level. It was an awesome program, and I can see the need for itin my kid. She is pretty much me in 3rd grade.