OT-Blackberry or iphone?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by coastiewifern, Jun 27, 2009.

1. coastiewifern

coastiewifern DIS Veteran

Due to some changes in the way we use our phone and our contract is up, we have decided to bust the budget (those monthly data service plans) and get a smart phone. We use At&T and DH prefers to stay with them as we get a nice corporate discount. I trust opinions here and would like to hear what you like/dislike about these phones or if there is another smartphone you like better. DH was looking at a samsung too. I found the iphone hard to use as it is heat sensitive and my nails kinda got in the way??

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

I had a Blackberry and now have an iPhone. It is the difference between night and day. Having the iPhone is like having a mini computer. Once you get used to typing I can go just as fast as my Blackberry.

4. LizAgna

LizAgna DIS Veteran

I have a BB but I really want an iPhone next...not to hijack but which one do most people get 8, 16 or 32?

5. cslittle999

cslittle999 DIS Veteran

It really depends on how much music and video you want to carry around with you. Apps also take up space, particularly games.

I have a 16 and it's full but to honest there is lots of music I hardly listen to that I could remove. I'm just lazy and let iTunes sync everything. My recommendation is to buy the biggest one you can afford because you can't change your mind later.

6. Tina

Tina Tagless and bitter about it <font color=red>but ap

I've been on the first generation iphone since day one and love it. I couldn't imagine life without my iphone! I placed the order for the new 3GS last week. I use my iphone a lot at the gym to watch television shows while on the eliptical. With my current 8GB, I'm constantly having to shuffle things around to fit new shows on, so I ordered the 32GB.

I haven't seen anyone with the new BB to check it out, but I have a friend who bought the BB Curve (salesman talked her into it when she wanted an Iphone) and I can't stand that thing. Its way too complicated for her. Anyone can operate an iphone. The BB has a bit of a learning curve. I suspect that the new BB (iphone look-a-like) is much easier to use.

7. coastiewifern

very interesting! I was really leaning towards the blackberry but now rethinking. I would have to get the $99 iphone for the budget. Is the iphone really easy to learn how to use?

8. Tina

If you can touch the screen with your fingertip, you can use the iphone. Its that easy. :)

However, one thing to keep in mind is the fragile screen. If you are one that drops your phone a lot or doesn't bother to keep it in a case, you could have problems. I have a friend who has dropped and broken hers THREE TIMES! Luckily, she's a lawyer and can afford to keep buying new ones. The screen can scratch, so you must keep it in a case that protects it while carrying in a purse or similar. I've made it this far with only one small scratch and one little bubble in my screen (I've dropped it twice on the treadmill).

9. coastiewifern

Yes we have insurance on our phones but I think I remember them mentioning that they don't insure the iphone does that sound right?

10. Tina

Correct.

11. coastiewifern

so do I have this correct that with the iphone you pay $30/month for the data? Is that unlimited access? Clue me in on hidden fees please

12. NikiM20

NikiM20 <font color=blue>This is my first exchange so play

yes,BUT dont forget texting if you text $5 for 200 , or family unlimited for $30.

My data plan with my corp. disc. is $25.50 , We also have family unlimited texting because DD and I text ALOT and we are slowly teaching DH how to text LOL.

I do have the 8GB I love it, it has enough room for me to do what I want to do on it. Music, a few videos for DD, and my apps.

Also please dont forget to sync your contacts to your computer.
    I learned that the hardway when I had to get a new phone due to a speaker issue and had to find all of my contacts!!

Niki

ETA: Remember that all warranty work is done through apple and not ATT. This is good if you have an apple store nearby. I made an appt for my speaker issue I mentioned , so there was no waiting FOREVER like you do in the att store.

13. Tina

I don't have a family plan on my phone, so my texting is $20 for unlimited, $15 for 1500 texts and $5 for 200. My data plan is $30. I'm on the lowest available minutes plan for me and that's 450 anytime/unlimited nights & weekends for $59.

14. coastiewifern

so texting is not included in your data fee and you pay extra for that??

15. Tina

Correct. If you don't opt for texting, you don't get it. Which is nice for those who don't use it.

16. bentleygirl22

bentleygirl22 disney queen

I have a Blackberry & I wish i had gotten the Iphone...

So Now planning on Buying an Iphone after our Disney trip..
    get the Iphone.. you will be much happier with it..

17. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

I had a basic Samsung flip phone with AT&T, but just switched to Sprint and got a Blackberry Curve. I'm still trying to learn how to type on a qwerty keyboard! :lmao: My brother is on his second iphone - and he loves it.

18. coastiewifern

I am just back from the store and a proud owner of the iphone. Now I get to spend the evening learning how to work my new toy. We ended up dropping our home line, adding 2 additional lines for the kids. 1400 mins, 200 texts, data plan on 2 iphones, 4 lines total, with our corporate discount=about $160/month I figure another $20 with taxes. This is definately a splurge for us.

19. a1tinkfans

a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

WOW, thats $2160. a year for the phone, coulda been another small DISNEY vacation, :rotfl2:
    I am looking to upgrade my DS phone to the Iphone and based on what everyone is saying seems like it is worth it.
    Good Luck with your new phone, hope you'll post how you like/dislike it!

20. windycitymom

windycitymom DIS Veteran

I have the iphone and love it! It is so EASY to use! The iPhone is great for non-techy types. The apps are one of the best features. I'm able to read all sorts of newspapers online (for free). It's great to have your phone, music and videos all one ONE device. I have cut many other expenses lately so I can justify spending $30 for the data (plus the phone is a business expense for me). I recommend buying it through the Apple Store. They will even teach you how to use it if you feel you need the additional help. They hold workshops on the iPhone all the time. Plus, with the Apple iCare plan, it's not only a warranty but they will help you at any time. My next PC is going to be a Mac because of the customer support you get.

21. Tina

200 texts with 2 kids? How old are they? I would expect them to blow throw 200 texts in an afternoon. :scared: Be careful not to go over. I went over once and ended up paying dearly. I believe the cost is 25 cents per text (incoming and outgoing) once you exceed your limit. As soon as I saw that bill (an extra $50!), I upgraded my texting plan.