OT-Best day to purchase airfare

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by mickeys friend, Sep 15, 2012.

  1. mickeys friend

    mickeys friend DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2001
    Messages:
    981
    I think I saw somewhere that there was a certain day of the week that had the best deal to purchase airfare.Does anyone know if this is true and if so what day.I was thinking it was on Tuesday's.Doesn't really seem like anyday is a good day to get a deal.Any help would be great.Thanks
     
  2. Avatar

    Google AdSense Guest Advertisement


    to hide this advert.
  3. disneyfan2kids

    disneyfan2kids DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    Messages:
    936
    Tuesday afternoons:thumbsup2
     
  4. antmaril

    antmaril DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2001
    Messages:
    6,999
    I was always under the impression that it was Tuesday afternoon. However, I have been watching fares for Detroit to Wash. D.C. for weeks. The cheapest I could get was $357. Last Wednesday morning, the flights went down to $296! You just have to keep checking. Fares are almost always highest on Thursday to Sunday, and it is always a crapshoot.

    Good luck.

    BTW - I also check Bing.com. They have a fare predictor. When I was looking for my flights, the predictor said to wait. Bing was 80% confident that the fare would go down by at least $50. They were right.
     
  5. Donna PA

    Donna PA Mouseketeer

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2009
    Messages:
    107
    From my experience it is not the day but the timing. One day it could be $$$ and a couple hours they drop the price, and the next morning high again, I just keep checking
     
  6. ssawka

    ssawka DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Messages:
    3,430
    Although there may be some truth to the day of the week, a stronger rule of thumb these days (at least when it comes to the discount airlines) is to book ASAP after the fares are released. With JB and SW you have the added benefit that you can ask for a credit if the fare for your flight drops, but only if you book directly through the airline.
     
  7. LJSquishy

    LJSquishy DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2011
    Messages:
    2,406
    Usually Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I like to use Kayak.com because they tell you if it is cheaper to book each flight separately or round trip, and will direct you to each airline's website to purchase.
     
  8. disneymom2003

    disneymom2003 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    566
    I needed airfare earlier in the year. We were getting close to our departure date so I was getting nervous. Started looking Tuesday morning. I had to use Delta because we had a credit. I checked that site about 10 times that day. Airfare went from over $500 (we are on the west coast) to $269. I could not book fast enough. It was a Tuesday but the thing is you just have to keep checking.
     
  9. TJA

    TJA DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2000
    Messages:
    3,793
    I agree with Tuesdays as that has worked for me 99% of the time in the past. The other 1% was for our last trip (last month) and I kept checking the fares about 10x a day and on a very early Saturday morning our fare crept down quite a lot and I scurried to get a credit (which I got). It was the first time I have EVER seen our fares reduced on a Saturday, and I'm a fanatic at checking airfare constantly.
     
  10. LisaTC

    LisaTC DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1,546
    Well most of the travel info I get says Tues or Weds. I booked Weds for 12/15 and thank heavens is all I can say. Went up $200/pp today! Gas is high and not going down, so book if you can, especially for holiday travel.
     
  11. rszdtrvl

    rszdtrvl DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
    Messages:
    3,173
    I got SEA/SNA last Thursday, nonstop, for under $200pp.

    Fares had been up and down, but the price I saw was the lowest I have seen it.

    Snatched it up quickly on Hotwire.com.
     
  12. jnfr2424

    jnfr2424 I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love t

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2009
    Messages:
    1,432
    Tuesdays at 2pm
    I found a one way flight from MCO back to Jersey for $90!!
    The next day those same tickets doubled in price
     
  13. beansmom

    beansmom <font color=blue>Your dream eludes you? Don't you

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2000
    Messages:
    3,091
    i was told by Jetblue rep that the price drop credit is available REGARDLESS of whom you book the flight thru.
     

Share This Page