OT - 911 access on expired cell phone?

Wazzo

DIS Veteran
Hello!

I have an older Telus cell phone that I let expire and no longer has any service. I've heard that you can dial 911 on ANY cell phone regardless of service.

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, I'll keep in my car just for that purpose!

Thanks!

Why would you not just call the experts at Telus. They can tell you for sure rather than speculation on this board.

I have an aversion to over-the-phone customer service. :crazy:

Also, I didn't think they'd tell me the truth, because they'll want my MONEY, and not want me to have free service! ;)

Mickey1Fan said:
Why would you not just call the experts at Telus. They can tell you for sure rather than speculation on this board.

Ah fooey! :joker: Why count on the truth when you can fall back on conjecture, speculation and urban legends? It's so much more comforting to know what happened to the friend of a friend of someone else on the Internet than to simply call Telus and get the definitive answer.

After all, if folks were reallly interested in the definitive answer this internet board wouldn't exist.

OK, groups hugs, P&PD all 'round!! :grouphug: :wizard:

You don't want to call Telus, you want to call a government regulatory body, because if you don't have a cell plan, the only way you'd get 911 access is if the government requires providers to provide it. And Telus customer service sure won't be likely to know the answer to your question, let alone provide information to you... as you say, those folks work for Telus and if you don't have a plan with Telus or want to buy a plan for Telus, they sure don't see you as a "customer" worthy of "customer service"!

But... wouldn't you lose your phone number if you didn't keep your plan? And would your phone even pick up a signal? What happens when your phone is charged up and you open it... does anything happen? If not, can't see how you'd get access.

Why not go with a cheap pre-paid plan? They're popping up all over and then you can be sure you'll have a working phone when you need it. That is, if you remember to charge it up! My mom is one of those people who ONLY wants to use her darn phone for emergencies and she never remembers to charge it up or carry it with her anywhere.

Good points Northstar, I think you're right about the regulatory body.

I've already lost my number, so I wasn't sure what to do with the phone. It is old, and I actually already have newer one in working order. I just kept this one around (and active for $10 every 3 months) for emergency purposes. BUT, I forgot to top up this time, and my number is lost. The phone still dials, but nothing connects.

I just thought I'd keep it if it was still good for something!!

Yes, it does work if the phone has battery power. I just happen to know someone quite close who works doing 911! ::cop:
He said that yes it does happen. You can call your local police dept on the non emerg line and ask them as well.

Marilynn

When we first started selling cell phones as part of your home phone service with Bell, we were advised at the time through our training documentation that any cell phone with "power" had the ability to dial 911. This was about 7 years ago, and I no longer work in that area of the company, but that was our initial info. HTH

MaryLiz

Yes, you can get 911 without having a plan. I found this out a while ago when we were getting rid of old cell phones. I knew the carrier recycled them, and I happened to ask what they did with them. They indicated they give out some of them to the Women's Shelters so they can in turn give them to some of the women in order for them to have quick 911 access should they require.

Wow, thanks for the idea dhluvsDisney! I'll try to find a local women's shelter and see if they want my old phone!

I feel guilty keeping "just because" if someone else might REALLY need it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!