Osborne lights headed to Missouri?

spgoad

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are AP holders at Silver Dollar City (SDC) in Branson, Missouri and enjoy heading there on long weekends when we can't make it to Disney. :) We especially love it at Christmas time when they decorate with over 5 million lights. Well SDC sends out quarterly mailers to their season ticket holders telling us what is new and upcoming, and on the next to last page they advertised a new "Christmas in Midtown" experience coming in 2017 adding over 1.5 million new lights. That's cool, but what caught my eye was the picture -

lowres-christmas-keyart.jpg

Look familiar?

No idea if it actually is Osborne lights or not, and I can't find any solid leads online. Osborne was also over 5 million lights, so an addition of 1.5 million to SDC wouldn't be all the lights from DHS. But I have to say if it isn't a straight up move of Osborne it is certainly inspired by it. Here's the link to the only official info provided so far - http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/2017/christmas-in-midtown

I wouldn't be surprised. The family definitely lives the lights. I believe they are from Arkansas so Missouri isn't too far away.

I wouldn't be surprised. The family definitely lives the lights. I believe they are from Arkansas so Missouri isn't too far away.

Does Disney have a copyright on the Osborne Lights name? If so, I can imagine they can't say that these are from the Osborne Lights.

Does Disney have a copyright on the Osborne Lights name? If so, I can imagine they can't say that these are from the Osborne Lights.
How could they? The Osborne lights are a family name and started at Jennings Osborne's house before they came to WDW.

I would think they could trademark the name the "Osborne Spectale of Dancing Lights" just like they can trademark Illuminations.
I can't see them trade marking the Osborne name. Maybe spectacle of dancing lights.

I would honestly consider a trip to see these if they also pair them with music, though I'm sure Disney had a huge hand in the musical part so who knows.

I would honestly consider a trip to see these if they also pair them with music, though I'm sure Disney had a huge hand in the musical part so who knows.
Jennings Osborne did his lights to music before they went to Disney.

It's not that difficult I do it myself at home.

Yes it's a globe surrounded by angels. But if you look at each piece individually? No resemblance. They took the concepts, and made a like element.

No reason to believe these are Osborne lights or components. They would have played it up more if it was. But just looking closely and it's similar but very different. I call not Osborne.

Jennings Osborne did his lights to music before they went to Disney.

It's not that difficult I do it myself at home.

To the same extent that they had at DHS? I'll admit I don't know much about it, but it seemed like they had a large volume of synchronization going on.

Yes it's a globe surrounded by angels. But if you look at each piece individually? No resemblance. They took the concepts, and made a like element.

No reason to believe these are Osborne lights or components. They would have played it up more if it was. But just looking closely and it's similar but very different. I call not Osborne.

Actually multiple elements in this art. the spinning wheel of angels is also from Osborne. The blue snowflake thing in the back also could be like the side street where all the lights were above the heads as well. as people seem to be under it in this picture.

My main question before I plan a trip is...will they dance?

Actually multiple elements in this art. the spinning wheel of angels is also from Osborne. The blue snowflake thing in the back also could be like the side street where all the lights were above the heads as well. as people seem to be under it in this picture.

My main question before I plan a trip is...will they dance?

I actually may have answered my own question. If they are like this years lights they do there....according to the silver dollar city website they do dance. it even list the soundtrack on there.....

Actually if you look off to the right you also have the "carousel" with angles on it that was part of osbourne lights also.. In my opinion I though the globe and that carousel was a little higher end in how it was built that it was a disney add on. I can't see that type of industrial billboard quality industrial mount being part of a home display and somethign disney improved or added to it for safety reasons and somethign to help fill in that back courtyard area with more.

I can see the osbourne family contributing their lights to another location though. I'm sure the family wouldn't want to tarnish their memories of osbourne lights by keeping the same name but I can see them wanting to keep their families legacy still going when they can't do it themselves. disney did ship them the display back.. (at least it was reported they did).

To the same extent that they had at DHS? I'll admit I don't know much about it, but it seemed like they had a large volume of synchronization going on.

Music to lights is not uncommon but at the time Osborne started it, was not common. Now anybody can set it up, there are lots of kits out that make it easy to do.

What you saw at Disney the last MANY years was mostly Disney's hand, Disney's lights. I saw the Osborne lights when they arrived at Disney and they were virtually not much more than we see in many neighborhoods anymore. He had what was a huge display at his home, but when they arrived and were spread along Residential Street, they didn't have the same wow factor. They actually gave all guests 3D glasses to make them look better (I still have mine). Disney then began to grow it big, replace the props with their own but maintain the Osborne theme, spirit and name. I would be very surprised if any of the original props are usable BUT I can see the family negotiating a deal with another location.

Here is a comparison of Osborne soldier .... and the Disney designed solider that replaced it.

Osborne%20light%20soldier.jpg

Disney%20Light%20Soldier.jpg

This will show you what they looked like in Arkansas ...

780w-463h_osborne-spectacle-of-lights-1.jpg

But this is how they looked when they first arrived and were spread out ... over time Disney improved on all the lights and by time it was on Streets of America it was awesome.

LIGHTS10.jpg

CXBrUhaUwAEtUYL.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

LIGHTS11.jpg

LIGHTS8.jpg

It's all done by a computer system. The lights run on channels that connect to receiver boxes which then connect to the central computer which runs the whole show. Displays all over the country use similar systems. I have over 15,000 lights and only 16 channels. For something like Osborne you are looking at hundreds if not maybe thousands of channels.

Music to lights is not uncommon but at the time Osborne started it, was not common. Now anybody can set it up, there are lots of kits out that make it easy to do.

What you saw at Disney the last MANY years was mostly Disney's hand, Disney's lights. I saw the Osborne lights when they arrived at Disney and they were virtually not much more than we see in many neighborhoods anymore. He had what was a huge display at his home, but when they arrived and were spread along Residential Street, they didn't have the same wow factor. They actually gave all guests 3D glasses to make them look better (I still have mine). Disney then began to grow it big, replace the props with their own but maintain the Osborne theme, spirit and name. I would be very surprised if any of the original props are usable BUT I can see the family negotiating a deal with another location.

The lights were still in the neighborhood during my first Osborne experience and I remember the glasses as well. I believe those were the angel ones? Kind of gives you a chuckle when you think of the free things Disney used to just give away that now require expensive dessert parties and whatnot. I could see the family "renting out" the major props but I wonder if Disney sent them back without the updated lights and who knows if a smaller location would be willing to spend the money to bring it back to Disney caliber if necessary.

The lights were still in the neighborhood during my first Osborne experience and I remember the glasses as well. I believe those were the angel ones? Kind of gives you a chuckle when you think of the free things Disney used to just give away that now require expensive dessert parties and whatnot. I could see the family "renting out" the major props but I wonder if Disney sent them back without the updated lights and who knows if a smaller location would be willing to spend the money to bring it back to Disney caliber if necessary.
Disney owned the lights, osbornes owned the frames and figures. Most of the lights were replaced every year anyways.

Actually if you look off to the right you also have the "carousel" with angles on it that was part of osbourne lights also..

Look closer.

The globe says Glory to God. At Disney/Osborne it said Peace on Earth. The angels are prone and blowing horns, at Disney they were multi positions and no horns. The spinning carousel you mention is angels in the art, at Disney it was the nativity.

A lawyer somewhere told them it was safe to copy it since Disney took it down. Why go through the trouble of drawing everything different if you are using the original? This is Osborne inspired. It is NOT the Osborne lights.

That's kind of a bummer. We have SDC season passes too, and it would be awesome to see the original Osborne displays there. For a pretty small theme park, SDC does a really beautiful Christmas light display. I love going this time of year! Even if it's only Osborne-inspired, I'm looking forward to seeing the new addition.

And riding Outlaw Run in the dark :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter