Orlando Sentinel reports Transformers coming to Universal Orlando

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by patster734, Sep 19, 2011.

1. patster734

patster734 DIS Veteran

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. McClane713

McClane713 Earning My Ears

Interesting. Hoping it'll be on the studio side if true. Especially since it uses the same ride system as spider-man. And since the article makes it sound more near-ish future, doesn't sound like it'll be replacing spiderman either now that they're just putting the new projectors and film into it.

4. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

i'm disappointed in that news.

i was hoping for something else.
    transformers isn't my first choice by any means.

lot of other great things could go in, but i'm sure transformers will make someone happy.

5. keishashadow

keishashadow Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!

meeeeeeeee!:banana:

6. nytimez

nytimez Nihilist

Previous rumors that cropped up also had it on the US side. Personally, I'm a little excited. I haven't seen the Transformers movies, but done well it could make a great ride.

However, I'm not crazy about another Spider-Man ride. Enough with the 3-D glasses, I don't want to wear them on a ride...

7. humphreydog

humphreydog Director of Community Relations and Media Control

I thought they were safety visors (that's what kimberly said)..oh wait that's terminator....please don't change terminator into transformers

8. nytimez

nytimez Nihilist

That was actually one of the previous rumors -- replacing Terminator with Transformers. But I don't know if they have the room there to do it.

9. RAPstar

RAPstar Proud Redhead

I think it would fit best in ET. Hollywood replaced theirs with Mummy, so why not ours with Transformers

10. damo

damo Proud Redhead

I have to say that this surprises me. Having another Spiderman clone ride is kinda weird. I really don't think that this is what the parks need at this time.

11. nytimez

nytimez Nihilist

The problem with that is that ET is one of the few kid-friendly, whole-family rides at US.

12. DOOM1001

DOOM1001 DIS Veteran

I have to think the whole demolition of the old Hard Rock Cafe might have something to do with the location.I was just looking at the size of the old Cafe and the area around it and while it doesn't look that big I said the same thing about Potter before it was built,so I guess they could make a building appear in that area.I hope they don't touch E.T even as I don't ride it all that often it's still a very nice ride and has one of the coolest queues in any park.It would be an odd location as it's surrounded by several kids attractions but you never know how they may change the area around or make a new entrance that would separate it from the kidszone.

13. keishashadow

keishashadow Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!

we like it;)families expect a friendly dark type ride in a park imo.

assume the contract rights run long-term ala jaws for mr spielberg:confused3

14. McClane713

McClane713 Earning My Ears

Putting together a few of the above ideas and taking a look at a recent photo I came up with an interesting theory. Spielberg was personally involved with ET and was upset when they removed it from other parks, which is why rumor has it it's stayed this long in Orlando. Maybe he gave his blessing to remove his old attraction as long as it's replaced with this new one. Which could be why they're demolishing the old hard rock cafe which is right next to it. They can reuse most of ET and then expand all they want to where HRC was. And since ET is near the front of the kidzone maybe just retheme the entrance area.

15. dsmom

dsmom DIS Veteran

do not touch ET!! our family loves it.

16. RAPstar

RAPstar Proud Redhead

That actually makes sense! If you look where they're building it in Hollywood, it looks very small. But it also uses 2 levels, so that helps.

17. Metro West

Metro West Nothing to see here...move along.

E.T. isn't going anywhere.

18. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

Where is the old Hard Rock Cafe exactly?

Also, I'm told that there is a huge abandoned structure in the Studios. Some said that the structure used to have an attraction in it but is actually unsafe now. Is that true? Could that be a location for a new attraction?

19. wreck

wreck Earning My Ears

behind Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster in Universal studios

go to google earth and copy paste these DMS coordinates in the search bar than zoom in

28 28 41.65 , - 81 27 56

20. nytimez

nytimez Nihilist

You can actually see it from the ride, next time you're in the park.

That said, I'm not sure they need to knock down an existing attraction to build something new if they don't want to. I seem to recall they actually have a lot of room there, especially if they rejigger their backstage areas and employee parking lots, and could build several new attractions without knocking anything down if they wanted to.

21. RAPstar

RAPstar Proud Redhead

Its the soundstage behind where the Delorean and train from Back to the Future are. It used to house a Murder, She Wrote attraction when UO first opened and later a Hercules/Xena attraction. It could be there, but rumors are that the building is condemned from lack of use. But I'm sure some sprucing up could make it the home for the new Transformers ride. We'll just have to wait and see.