Orlando for £2K?

Reply in bold.
?!? A lot! A lynx at best is going to take you to the TTC having stopped a load of times on the way. And that's me assuming there's a direct MCO bus. Imagine you've never taken your child before and you spend the best part of 2 hours on a bus after a 14 hour journey and you get dropped at the TTC or somehwere offsite that isn't right outside your front door.

But if you stay offsite and book somewhere on a bus route (which is very, very easy to do) the bus WILL take you to your hotel which is right outside your front door? :confused3 If you're staying onsite, of course you take ME. Best part of two hour journey?? :confused3

again - a LOT! Timetable, the fact you're dropped at the TTC. It's make it at LEAST double the journey. Especially if you are going to a water park, DHS or AK
The Lynx buses stop at several places in Disney and run regularly (plus, unlike Disny transportation, you know when they will arrive because there is a timetable. They also load/unload faster than Disney buses and are faster at accommodating those with disabilities in my experience).

It is - I just said above I've *never* booked a package.
Yet you said no first timer would have an enjoyable time using my method :confused3

We have travelled to Orlando, approximately 20 times, and in the last 7 years we have had the joy of taking our children too, this has sadly bumped the price up to around £6000 for a two week trip. We are by no means frivolous with our spends, and DH loves to try and save money!

One year we stayed at a budget hotel, it was the choice of this or no trip. The hotel provided a daily shuttle to the parks, and there was a Lynx bus stop nearby too, however we didn't entertain the thought of using the buses, I'm sure that if you're a couple or a family with older children then this would be fine, but with younger ones or those with special needs it would be a tiresome experience, I understand that the bus services are reliable etc but at the end of a long day at MK for instance you just want to get those kids home to bed, and yourself 9 times out of 10 come to think of it! So by using either the direct service of the Disney buses or hiring a car this is IMO the best option for the OPs friend. rather than going round the houses to get back to your hotel or whatever.

I am currently helping my SIL to sort out a holiday for their family to WDW in the summer, as she is so overwhelmed by all of the information out there, it would be foolish for a first time visitor not to research the destination fully and I depth, again especially if there are children involved in the trip. Personally I would say that not planning would be their worst mistake, as we have been so many times we feel that it's second nature to us, we know where to go, where to eat, what can save money etc, but a first timer isn't going to know this, the boards are invaluable for information and I would say always gain perspective from every view.

The whole point of Florida with kids is Disney, why go otherwise? Yes we have been on trips where we haven't bothered, but my 6 year old has been there 6 times, he's not going to be fussed if he misses out one year on Disney, as a parent I would feel like They were missing out if we went but didn't do Disney and it was their first and possibly only trip to suggest that they don't do disney's parks is ludicrous to me again just IMO.

Personally I'd say to the OP's friend.....

Wait and save up enough to do the trip properly, I wouldn't reduce the length of my trip to save a bit of cash, travelling is hard on you and takes up two days of your holiday.

Research everything you would like to do thoroughly, gain the views of other people who have done it and make up your own mind especially about what would work for your family, what is great for one isn't necessarily going to work for others.
Join the Dis and the Dibb for sure!!

But in answer to the original question...... No I don't think it's particularly do-able in the current climate to travel for 2k, and have the "experience of florida"

I hope they get their holiday sorted!

Staying onsite and school holiday flight costs is going to be difficult. If they have not been before I would suggest saving more money and going 2 weeks later rather than rushing into it and going for a shorter time.
Unfortunately out of school is not an option,so i suggested as late on in August the better.

Can he wait a year and make it £3k?

Then he can very comfortably do it either 2 weeks at a value, or a week at a value and a week on I-Drive.
I passed on this idea of waiting unit he can spend a bit more money.He seems dead set on staying onsite.
If he is happy to stay a week instead of 2, or even 9 or 10 days, price up the trip on the US site. I'm planning a week later in the year and it works out much cheaper purely because I am not compelled to buy 14 day tickets (7 days is the same price) for a 7 night stay.

Even without discounts it is cheaper than Disney UK

I agree with your friend - offsite would not be an option for me with a child and no car. I've done Disney with my DD - just the 2 of us - with her at age 6,7, 8, 9 and 10. I would still not do offsite with her and she is very well travelled. It's a stress reduction that is worth paying for or making sacrifices elsewhere
:thumbsup2 100% agree.Onsite would be so much more relaxing.

Again..nobody is saying it can't be done, but the OP said that they want to stay on-site and they don't have passes.
Realistically I don't think its do-able for £2k all in.
I agree that maybe he will need to reduce the time there, which would be a shame for a first visit not doing at least 2 weeks or wait a while longer and save a bit longer and get the holiday that he wants with no regrets.:)

I think the OP needs to clarify exactly what their friend wants for their £2K. Do they want onsite? Do they want a car? Do they want to do Universal, Sea World etc.? Do they want to pay for their food up front? Do they enjoy visiting new cities and exploring or do they want the package holiday experience?
Onsite yes, car no, Universal & Sea World would be great be he realises that its probably not an option, WDW is the main priority.Free dining i think will be a deal breaker.Package or DIY, it doesn't matter,its all down to the cheapest option.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup2

Universal & Sea World would be great be he realises that its probably not an option,

If he does go then they are an option - but will of course add some money.

We buy these tickets when we go:

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/universal/tickets.htm

Transfers have worked great, and we've always gotten plenty done in 1 day, but as you can see its not a lot more to make it two.

ETA - the transfers have also always dropped and picked at Seaworld on the way, but we've not done SW yet.

Unfortunately, however dead-set OP's friend is about staying onsite during school holidays for less than £2k (I presume that would be for approximately two weeks and include tickets, transfers and flights?), it's just not going to happen.

epcot.girl said:
Unfortunately, however dead-set OP's friend is about staying onsite during school holidays for less than £2k (I presume that would be for approximately two weeks and include tickets, transfers and flights?), it's just not going to happen.

Def not for August this year with remaining flight prices currently. Also on site, with the cost of Disney food, it is arguably cheaper to go moderate to get free QS dining. I am likely to take just my daughter next Christmas and while granted this is top whack price, I can't get it in at less than 3k for a week for a trip I would be prepared to do. Off site, public buses and the cheapest of cheap food would not be for me. That's the only way 2k is on the cards as well proven by previous posts.

Agree that for what he wants in school hols £2000 is too low.

If he is stuck with school holidays then my best tip is to check dates with a fine toothcomb and see if there is any deviation from the norm

Some schools near us have gone to 2 weeks end May/beginning of June by putting training days together. Some schools have 2 weeks on October not one (DD's does which is why we go then)

Even a day or two can make all the difference to flight prices.

i have seen this deal on travelzoo and if you go into experiences they have a deal to orlando for 14 nights w/flights and tickets through complete orlando from £970 departs 5-8 june, if you go between 26-29 aug its from 875pp and it includes flights, 1 day to discovery cove, 14 day ticket to 3 theme parks and you stay at the marriott inn at seaworld which isn't bad, i just thought i would let people know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter