Oreo crossed the Rainbow Bridge today

Tee it Up

Self Proclaimed Beer Snob
Our beloved 15 year old furbaby Oreo crossed over the Rainbow Bridge today. It was one of the most heart wrenching decisions we have ever had to make, but I know it was the right thing to do.
She has been suffering from kidney failure for a few months now and lost 3 lbs. off of her already skinny 20 lb. body. She became so picky about food we just about went crazy trying to find something she would eat. That along with her incontinence, that kept her in diapers really reduced the quality of her life. But this morning was the final straw. Overnight she developed ataxia to the point where she could barely stand. It was heartbreaking to see her try to walk, only to stumble and fall over and over again.
The vet said if she were younger and in otherwise good health he would treat the ataxia, but in her frail condition we just couldnt put her through any more. Even though we know we did the right thing, it is still heartbreaking.
After having has a dog almost nonstop since 1978, I think we are going to take a break for a while. We need a breather.
Rest in Peace old girl, you were the best dog ever, and we will always love you.

I really want to post a photo of her, but the site won't let me for some reason. If I can figure it out, I will edit the post later

ETA: Picture:

8450044869_d0e8914bb3.jpg

8392350053_d2131e9a3f.jpg

Our beloved 15 year old furbaby Oreo crossed over the Rainbow Bridge today. It was one of the most heart wrenching decisions we have ever had to make, but I know it was the right thing to do.
She has been suffering from kidney failure for a few months now and lost 3 lbs. off of her already skinny 20 lb. body. She became so picky about food we just about went crazy trying to find something she would eat. That along with her incontinence, that kept her in diapers really reduced the quality of her life. But this morning was the final straw. Overnight she developed ataxia to the point where she could barely stand. It was heartbreaking to see her try to walk, only to stumble and fall over and over again.
The vet said if she were younger and in otherwise good health he would treat the ataxia, but in her frail condition we just couldnt put her through any more. Even though we know we did the right thing, it is still heartbreaking.
After having has a dog almost nonstop since 1978, I think we are going to take a break for a while. We need a breather.
Rest in Peace old girl, you were the best dog ever, and we will always love you.

I really want to post a photo of her, but the site won't let me for some reason. If I can figure it out, I will edit the post later

I am so, so sorry.

We, too, had to let our pup go to the bridge a few weeks ago due to kidney failure. She was suffering from the same things as your pup-and it was so hard to see her in pain.

You are right, it is heartbreaking. I try to take comfort in the fact that she knew she was loved and that we so very fortunate to have such a wonderful pup in our lives.

Hugs to you and your family...

I'm sorry. I hope you don't mind, but I went and grabbed the photo of your sweet baby. She's a very sweet looking girl. My thoughts are with you. I know how hard this is.

oreo after rolling in the grass by djrgolf1951, on Flickr

Godspeed, Oreo. My condolences to your humans.

We've also lost our two cats to kidney and heart failure in the last year or so, I understand wanting to take a break.

My Rocko and Millie cats were non-discriminatory against dogs ;) , so they'll welcome Oreo to the Rainbrow bridge. Reading these boards for years, I think there must be a special DISboard area by now, populated by pets of these good folks. :goodvibes

Take care and hope your pain soon subsides into happy memories.

I am sorry. I lost my puppy to kidney failure back in May it is so hard to see them suffer. She was a beautiful puppy:lovestruc

Oreo looks like she was a very sweet girl. I'm so sorry. I hope all of your wonderful memories of her will help in time. I know how heartbreaking it is.

R I P Oreo..she was a beautiful fur baby. May God Bless you and your family in this difficult time. Our pets are so much more than pets, they are family members, and I know you and your family are very sad.:grouphug:

So sorry, we recently lost our 16 year old kitty - also named Oreo. Big hugs to ya.

I have to express my condolences, I know this is very tough :(

What caught my eye, and made my heart skip a beat was that last Sunday, my own Oreo crossed over Rainbow bridge as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter