Opinions Please

DisneyFan86

Earning My Ears
Earlier today I was approached by my oldest daughter and son with questions regarding the hotel we are staying at (POR). But when I began to show them pictures and became enthusiastic about it, they said it was “corny”? They also got the Idea into my mother and my DH’s head. So when we get down there and it becomes a 6 to 1 argument, would I be able to upgrade or switch resorts? What do you think Disney would do or what could I do to talk them into this resort? I think the POR is beautiful and a relaxing resort at that! Also when does one receive the Magical Express luggage tags? :grouphug:

Has your mother or DH seen pictures of the resort yet? If not, they will probably be on your side once they see it. Granted, I haven't been there but it is on my "wish list". The pictures I've seen on Deb's site are great! How old are your kids? I'm sure other Dis'ers could give some great advice on which resort your kids would enjoy for their age. DD just turned 1 so I have no advice yet as to what resorts kids would like best. :goodvibes

I don't think I would wait until you get to WDW to decide. You are running the risk that nothing else will be available for your party. Go through the resort area and look at all the pictures. Read the reports. Ask specific questions that others can answer based on their experiences. It really is hard to make a bad choice at any of the resorts. But decide now.

The luggage tags arrive several weeks before your trip as best as I remember.

We stayed there when it was Dixie Landings and LOVED it!! It was beautiful and quiet. Very relaxing! The kids had the quiet pool to themselves at 10:00 in June. The stroll to the food court area was so nice. I think your family will be pleasantly surprised.

My mother and DH have not seen yet seen pictures of the resorts. But my 17 yr old daughter and son have, they said "all of the disney resorts are corny and my son said they are looking old". I totally beg to differ, I love the laid back atmosphere that POR gives off. But, If it was up to them we would be staying at the Royal Pacific or the Hard Rock Resort. And to be honest, I do not want to stay at either of them because we are going on a vacation to Disney not to Universal! There would be no way possible to maybe upgrade while I am there at a cheaper rate then now? Thanks alot for your help

DisneyFan86 said:
There would be no way possible to maybe upgrade while I am there at a cheaper rate then now? Thanks alot for your help

No, not really. Once you get there and start to deal directly with the resorts you are paying rack rates. Discounts are handled through CRO and the resorts do not handle those directly.

Well, since your kids are showing an interest in planning the trip...why not let them pick the resort? Personally, if it were my kids, I would give them some advice and information regarding the different options and then let them pick. If I were you, I would set some limits: has to be an on-site resort of a Moderate or Value level. They could check out the resort info at http://www.disneyworld.com for a start.

We just came back from POFQ and having stayed at POR (when it was Dixie Landings) and POFQ, I found POFQ to be more relaxing and was much easier to get around since POFQ is roughly half the size of POR. Biggest downer with POFQ was that it doesn't have it's own sit-down restaurant, but Boatwright's at POR is only a 10 min. walk away.

Regarding discounts, ask for a discount when you book with CRO -- AAA discount is 15% - 20% off full price, saved $175 off 7 nights for my trip, easily paying for a AAA membership. You don't have to have a AAA membership before booking, just at check-in, so try to book the AAA rate and then get the membership before your trip.

They might think it's "corny" now, but they're not in WDW yet. :cool1: Just wait, once they see everything and visit the parks they will be very glad they came. POR is a beautiful resort like all of them in WDW. You all will have fun, it's just an age thing, being 17!!! Just try to relax and enjoy the planning.

My dd and I went to POR when she was almost 17 and she loved it! But have you looked at CSR - that may not be as "corny" to your kids and it's also a moderate (I've stayed there also and really liked it).

Good luck

We LOVE POR and as far as looking "old" it was recently remodeled. It was even more beautiful when we went there in March

We love the atmosphere of POR. As for the kids, they might think that any of the resorts there are corney so it may be impossible to please.

If they haven't been there they don't know what they're talking about!

If you look at any resort from the point of view of someone who's never been to Disney you'd probably think they look a bit, well, corny.
But once you're there the magic takes over...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter