Opinions please... Property Hotel, SOG or rent DVC

kc10family

DIS Veteran
Opinions please…. Once again we are trying to get down to WDW (somehow the military changes our plans every time) and now the goal is 2 Jan 14 give or take a few days and for about a week or so. We have another family of 3 going with us for a total of 7 people (4 A 3C). Should I go for a on property hotel, Shades of Green or rent someone’s DVC?

I've stayed at SoG three times since 2008 -- you absolutely can't beat the location/price combination (especially, since SoG does not charge lodging/resort taxes).

It's also good to know SoG (particlarly, the older section) has the biggest rooms on WDW.

But then again, die-hard Disney fans can make valid arguments about stuff like free dining, etc. I guess it all depends on what's most important to that person...

I've stayed at SoG three times since 2008 -- you absolutely can't beat the location/price combination (especially, since SoG does not charge lodging/resort taxes).

It's also good to know SoG (particlarly, the older section) has the biggest rooms on WDW.

But then again, die-hard Disney fans can make valid arguments about stuff like free dining, etc. I guess it all depends on what's most important to that person...

Thank you for your input and FYI on the older section. We are DL people and know the ins and outs there, this will be our first WDW trip. I just looked up the on site hotels at WDW and they have TONS!!!! How do people pick? :confused3

We have stayed at SoG and most of the Disney resorts, and we prefer the Disney resorts, we just prefer that they are more themed.

Don't get me wrong, SoG was nice, the rooms were big and the staff (except one of the bus drivers) was really nice, we just like the offerings that the Disney resorts have compared to SoG. It didn't feel like Disney and it was harder to get around, as DH likes to park and ride the transportation at the resorts, with the limited bus schedule, we weren't able to come and go as we really like, and we didn't want to drive, as I was using an ECV.

Thank you for your input and FYI on the older section. We are DL people and know the ins and outs there, this will be our first WDW trip. I just looked up the on site hotels at WDW and they have TONS!!!! How do people pick? :confused3

We have stayed at SOG once, but didn't have the best experience there, so we haven't been back. We didn't find it to be "Disney enough" for us, plus we like a lot of the Disney resort perks, like charging to our room, having packages sent back to our resort, and we have used the Disney Dining Plan in the past. If you are flying to WDW, Disney's Magical Express is a great perk, as is being able to check your bags at your resort for the flight home.

How do we pick? Well, first you know how much you want to spend. The military discount is being continued and is 40% off Deluxe resorts, 35% off Moderate resorts and 30% off Value resorts. Also, know what amenities are important to you. If you're going during the winter and you probably won't be swimming, then whether your resort has a pool slide probably won't matter to you. (Mods and Deluxes have pool slides.) If you have a party of 4 or fewer and only plan to sleep and shower in your room, a Value will probably be OK. If you have a party of 5, you need to look at Port Orleans Riverside (Mod) or most of the Deluxes to accommodate you in one room. If you go over to the Disney Resorts board here on the DIS, there are FAQ "lovers" threads for each of the resorts and you can see pictures and find out all about the different resorts. :surfweb:

We had a family grand gathering a few yrs ago at SoG and it was a dream come true for w/our kids, spouses, & grands. :lovestruc

Can't say enough about this beautiful quiet and peaceful resort/golf course and their large rooms for such a reasonable rate. We had 5 adj. rooms on the first floor, could open the huge sliding glass door to a nice grassy big lawn for kids to play on. Priceless!! :flower3:

Our rooms had 2 queens beds, couch that coverts to 3/4 bed, large bath, kitchenette w/fridge, table /chairs, coffee maker, safe, hair dryer, the works! Enjoyed their restaurants, specially the reasonable breakfast buffet incl. Mickey waffles. Also enjoyed adult pool w/pool side massage, Mckey kiddie pool, and hot tub. Could also feed the wild turkeys near by and there was a pond w/beautiful coy fish and an area where grands could race lil mini boats. :goodvibes

It is a short walk to Poly and we also used their timely bus service. Altho not as 'Disney', we so appreciated the quietness of SoG after a long day at the world - we would do it again in a heart beat :)! Good luck in your decision and what’s best for you and yours. :goodvibes

Here are a few pix of our room :)

Dis Resort Board has lots of info/pics to help make your decision.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2045518

Thank you everyone!!!
DH saw an ad for the Little Mermaid room and that was that. :thumbsup2
We are splitting our stay and AOA and SOG. No free breakfast for us this time at SOG as we will be there 1 Feb and miss the free stuff but the room will only be $97 so that makes up for it. Our current plan is to test the waters with the value of AOA and SOG this time, take a day to go to as many hotels as we can to just walk around and see what jumps out at us for next time. :) Yes, we have a day planned just to walk around as many resorts as we can fit in. I am sure that will be a lot of bus riding :guilty: also but that’s ok. :woohoo:

Never had a problem. You may be able to stay on site . I would call and see if WDW had any military discounts for on site stays. we are AP holders and we use the military discounts and AP holder discounts. We have been 4 times this year ,in Feb this year we got a military discount. we are heading down next week end and we will be back Sept 26,27,28 and 29. Then we will be down for our Christmas trip 14-22 Dec.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!