Opinions on Whispering Canyon Cafe

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by countryblonde314, Jul 6, 2014.

1. countryblonde314

countryblonde314 Disney Princess

What is everyone opinion on the Whispering Canyon Cafe? Haven't eaten here in almost 10 years and we are trying breakfast this time. Is it worth going or should we change restaurants?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Our experience has been that the place relies too much on the "antics" of the serving staff and not enough on its actual food for repeat business.

4. BelleKer

BelleKer Mouseketeer

Was there in May, and I wasn't really impressed. Ordered the chicken dish, and DH had some fish meal. Nothing was really that impressive.

5. rainwatter

rainwatter Mouseketeer

I found the menu really limited. The pulled pork springrolls, however, were delish! I would go back just for those.

6. DCDisney

DCDisney On my way...

I would only eat there if you are staying at WL and it's very convenient for you in terms of time and budget.

7. FMAfan

FMAfan Mouseketeer

I guess I don't know about the breakfast, but dinner there is one of our must do's of every trip. We love the family skillet/platter and the staff is always a blast.

8. Melanie B

Melanie B DIS Veteran

We've had lunch and dinner there and really enjoyed it. It's on our agenda for our next trip.

9. giginator

giginator Mouseketeer

One of our favorites for dinner! Love the family skillet and the bottomless milkshakes!

10. chuckinthechat

chuckinthechat Mouseketeer

How many people do you need to have at the table for the family skillet? And how does that work with the dining plan?

11. LAS321

LAS321 When you wish upon a star...

:wizard: We ate there a few years ago and won't go back. The very first time we went we had breakfast and liked it...our next 2 visits were for dinner and each visit got worse....last visit we had a terrible waitress, were originally placed outside the main dining room and the hostess was NOT happy that we didn't want that table (I mean, the antics are the main attraction here so sitting in room off the main dining room is kind of pointless) and I ordered chicken that was raw in the middle. The waitress took it back, heated up the same piece of bitten into chicken and returned it to me....ewwww. Won't be going back and don't recommend it.

12. countryblonde314

countryblonde314 Disney Princess

Where is some place else y'all might recommend that is cheap for breakfast? From all these post I'm kinda in a toss up to keep it up or change.

13. Aurora0427

Aurora0427 DIS Veteran

This is our least favorite restaurant on property, and one of the reasons we may never stay at WL again. Not only is the menu limited, but the antics are just obnoxious. The staff is always yelling about the stupid ketchup and what not. Plus, we walked up for lunch and the restaurant wasn't even half full, yet we had to wait 30 minutes. Then it took 45 minutes for our food to arrive. Not Disney's finest hour, and we will never go back.

14. rainwatter

rainwatter Mouseketeer

I would recommend Kona Cafe. The food was reasonably priced ($10-$14 per entree, my quick bf at Boardwalk Bakery was $13), and big enough to share. No one at the table came close to finishing their plate.

15. CSchex

CSchex Mouseketeer

You can order the "family skillet" even if you are just one. It is basically an all you care to eat platter, it doesn't have a multiple person requirement to order. :) It counts as one TS credit on the dining plan.

16. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

We've had the exact opposite experience. As two adults, every time we have eaten there, we have gotten little to none of the antics - which is the way we want it. We've thought the food has been very good, and my fiance (who is a big BBQ fan) has this as a must-do every trip for us. We've been three times since 2011, and will be going back this November.

17. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Common sense is so rare, should be a Super Power.

Our Ratings of Whispering Canyon: (*rev 1/21/2014*)
    . . . food price value: C
    . . . food quality: C
    . . . food quantity per serving: A (skillets)
    . . . food prep speed: B
    . . . food selection: C
    . . . seating quantity: C
    . . . seating comfort: C
    . . . eatery atmosphere: C
    . . . eatery convenience: B
    . . . staff friendliness: B
    . . . staff attentiveness: C
    . . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: The eatery is known for its comic antics with the guests. The breakfast antics
    have been toned down quite a bit due to complaints from folks who wanted to sleep late,
    and those that wanted a more sedate breakfast. Amounts of antics are based upon guest
    and server interaction, although lunch seems the most lively. Even with toned-down antics,
    thje breakfast is well worth the trip.

NOTE2: The food is plentiful, but just above average in quality. The endless shakes are
    tasty and ample enough to give even someone with a hollow leg a brain-freeze. However,
    the dining is nothing to go out of your way. Endless milk shakes are $6.99; sodas $2.99.
    Both are extra, unless you are DDP. Dessert sampler is pretty good with chocolate cake,
    jalapeno-lime-cheesecake, and an apple-cranberry-buckle shared family-style. Due to LOTS
    of complaints, WCC added-back pulled pork for the dinner menu.

NOTE3: The skillets are not offered at lunch at all times. They are listed as "Seasonal".
    When not offered, lunch is ala carte.

18. Arielle22

Arielle22 <font color=red>We have had spirits<br><font color

We will be there in a few weeks. DH picked it for his birthday breakfast. We always eat breakfast and enjoy it quite a bit. The interactions depend on the staff and how open you are to joining in.

DH was speaking with our waitress last November when we were there and she has been there since the restaurant opened.

19. KathyK

KathyK Mouseketeer

We have eaten there numerous times, and except for one bad experience with a server who seemed to disappear completely for about an hour, we love the place. We are planning to go there for breakfast on our upcoming trip.