Opinions on Deluxe DP ADR's please

mrsjoannh13

DIS Veteran
Hi, everyone -

I'm a Disney newbie of sorts and am going in November with my hubby, daughter who will be turning 3 in Disney, my dad and mom (who will be in an ECV). We are staying at the Contemporary. The park days were picked based on crowd calendars. On Nov 13th, my brother, sister and law and their new baby will be joining us for lunch and dinner in Animal Kingdom so on that day instead of 5 we have 8 - including 2 little ones.

I would love any input on our current dining choices. We plan to upgrade to the Deluxe Plan based on the amount of Character Dining we have, as well as a few planned signatures which will use 2 TS credits. We will be paying out of pocket for a couple of meals but here's the general plan. Since it's a "gift" trip for my parents and a birthday celebration, we want everything to be fun and special and full of pixie dust! Thanks in advance.

Nov 9 - arrival day - Contemporary check-in
6:00p Dinner at Chef Mickey's or California Grill
Trying to get a Cinderella's Table or BOG if it opens up

Nov 10 - Magic Kingdom
7:45a Ohana
11:30a Crystal Palace (will probably cancel and do QS or snack to have more park time)
6:45p The Wave
trying to get a CRT or BOG in the park

Nov 11 - Hollywood Studios
8:30a Hollywood & Vine
1:30p Mama Melrose Fantasmic dining package (if Brown Derby opens up I will change restaurants). Also trying to get a later time. Nothing else available now.
4:00p Sci Fi theater - (will probably cancel and do QS or snack prior to Fantasmic)

Nov 12 - Magic Kingdom
8:25a Crystal Palace
12p Cinderella's Table (this will probably be cancelled since we have on 11/14 a.m.)
7p 1900 Park Fare

Nov 13 - Animal Kingdom
8:10a Tusker House - spending morning in park until extended family arrives
1:15p Sanaa (AK lodge with bro, SIL & their baby)
6p Jiko (AK lodge with bro, SIL & their baby) - trying to get a later time

Nov 14 - Departure day
8:20a Cinderella's Table
Hanging out at AK lodge until departure with bro, SIL and their baby

Last edited:
I love Ohana for dinner, there aren't characters but there is enertainment, coconut races, hula dancing etc. Try not to skip Sci Fi, it's a totally cool and unique experience. I find Crystal Palace to be pretty basic like Chef Mickeys. A more exotic buffet is at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Boma. It has basic foods but also a few unique options and unusual sauces. The resort is fantastic. There are numerous viewing areas to watch the animals and the lobby itself is something to behold.

I just noticed you are doing Jiko, so you can pass on Boma. There is a princess buffet at Grand Floridian, but the name escapes me. Also, Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge is fun for children, another amazing resort.

Seems like a lot of sit down meals to me. We did that on DxDP the first trip. I just personally felt like I wasted a lot of park time.

Just my personal opinion but in my experience 3 sit down meals a day is just too much. I would feel like I was just going from one reservation to another with a little park time in between. Not to mention, I would be stuffed all day long and I hate that feeling. Now, some people love the dining experience and it may be worth it to them to spend their time that way. I will also mention that you can plan on 1.5 to 2 hours at each sit down location, maybe a little less for buffets or breakfasts. So, taking November 10th for example, you will probably get out of breakfast at 9:15 or so and it will probably be 9:45 - 10:00 am before you are walking into MK and then you have a sit down lunch scheduled for 11:30? I doubt anyone will be hungry enough for a big lunch and you only get about an hour of park time before it is time to head to your next reservation. Just one example.

Personally I love the original DDP with a snack, QS and sit down, it's more than enough food. I also did the all QS once and found it to work very well since there are numerous QS options that serve "real meals". I've never done the deluxe DP but as a foodie with only adult children I'm sure I would love it. With the new fast pass program I can hit my favorite rides very quickly and enjoy using the extra time to linger over a nice meal. I just don't know that I could eat that much even with my ravenous appetite!

I will echo that 2-3 sit down meals a day is a little too much for me. Personally, I'm good with 1 sit down per day, 2 tops. We'll be there the same week! :)

I'm sure Chef Mickey's or Cali Grill would be a great arrival day meal. You'd have an extra park day if you would get a Magic Kingdom ADR, so I don't know if that affects anything.

Nov 10 - Magic Kingdom
11:30a Crystal Palace (may cancel and do QS to have more park time)

I am all for cancelling CP lunch to have more time in the park. I think Ohana breakfast sounds great!

1:30p Mama Melrose Fantasmic dining package (if Brown Derby opens up I will change restaurants)
4:00p Sci Fi theater - will probably cancel and do QS prior to Fantasmic

Sci-Fi at 4 after a 130 PM Mama Melrose is way too close IMO. If you get seated by 1:30, you likely will not be done until 2:30-3, if you get seated later you could be pushing 3:30. Then you'll have to get to Sci Fi just to eat again, lol. I'd stick with QS for dinner, maybe even bump the Fantasmic package back to 2:30 or something. H&V is a buffet so you may not be all that hungry. You might not even need a full QS meal that night.

Nov 12 - Magic Kingdom
12p Cinderella's Table (may cancel if I can get a dinner earlier in the week)
7p 1900 Park Fare

Sounds good to me - but 8:25 again is a great time for breakfast, but will you be hungry again at 12? If you get seated at 8:30, you'll likely be finishing up by 9:30-10.. that's only 2, 2.5 hours until you have to return to eat at CRT. I think the 1900 Park Fare idea is a great one. :) My suggestion - Do CP breakfast, grab QS or snacks for lunch, and do 1900 Park Fare for dinner.

Nov 13 - Animal Kingdom
8:10a Tusker House
1:15p Sanaa
6p Jiko

Again lots of food :) Are you going to leave AK by 12:30-ish to get to Sanaa? Are you going to come back to AK, then return to AKL later on again for Jiko? I suggest skipping one of the two, it just seems like a lot. Or, push back your dinner at Sanaa and push Jiko back to 8 pm?

Nov 14 - Departure day

Sounds like a plan! ;)

I tried a plan similar to yours years ago. 3 TS meals per day were way too much for even my teen boys and big eater hubby. Figure 90 - 120 minutes in each restaurant and leaving quite full. Will you be ready for another full meal 2 hours later? Try to do a mid morning breakfast and dinner. Use your snack credits for ice cream if youre hungry in between

Nov 10 - Magic Kingdom
7:45a Ohana finish at 9 or 9:30 dpeneding on how quickly seated
11:30a Crystal Palace (may cancel and do QS to have more park time) Good idea to cancel and eat QA when somoene is hungry or snack. Otherwise you will be eating within 2ish hours of last meal!
6:45p The Wave Much better timing! Or throw in CG here

Watch the timing of your meals. Factor in ~90 minutes per TS and look at times for next meal.

Its so hard, sounds good on paper, but with 3 TS meals, you will literally spen 6-8 hours a day eating and traveling to get to your ADRs

PLus with the DxDP, you get all 3 courses. I encourage folks to go to their local chain restaurant, order 3 courses then walk around for hours and see how long until you want to do that again. And how much of a time suck it can be

Have fun planning!

Thanks for the input, everyone. Very helpful.

I definitely agree 3 TS a day will be too much. The goal is to get a pre-park opening TS / Character breakfast daily then grab a quick bite or snack for lunch and do a nice TS for dinner. Right now I'm hesitant to cancel anything until I see what else comes up, but I'll probably cancel most of the lunches we have scheduled. The exception might be the AK lodge lunch and dinner. My brother and sister in law will not be getting park passes - they are just coming to AKL for a 2 day / 1 night get-away so we're pretty much just stuck hanging out at the lodge with them from Friday late morning until Saturday midday departure. Kind of stinks, but we don't get to see them often so that will be just family time. We are fine just hanging out at restaurants and sacrificing the park time since they won't have passes.

Appreciate all of the suggestions.

You're going to have 6 to 8 hours of the day revolving around meals. Will the little ones be happy sitting still that long? Will the adults?

I agree with other posters that 3 TS meals is a lot. My DH and I did the DxDP two years back and stayed CL. We'd do breakfast in the lounge, a sit down lunch and dinner, and then a cocktail in the lounge at night. Or we'd do a late TS breakfast and then dinner with a snack in between. On days we did lunch and dinner, we'd do lunch around 1:00 and dinner around 8:00. We only did the DxDP because we ate all signature dinners so we used all our credits. I was fine with the time for two sit down meals but even though we are big eaters it was so much food!!

I think all your restaurants are good choices but here are some of my thoughts, for what they are worth :goodvibes
November 9th: Depending on your check in time, I'd stick with a dinner at CR. I'd try to push Cali Grill to 7:30 and ask for a table by the window. They turn down the lights and play the music from Wishes and you can watch the fireworks. Or you can walk out to their outside deck and watch the fireworks. I think it's a great kickoff for the vacation. Plus, if you are on the DxDP you can use two of your credits since it's signature. Then you can cut out a TS another day and still feel like you are getting the most out of the DxDP. Plus, we really enjoyed our food here!

November 10th: This is just my opinion since I know a lot of people love Ohana for breakfast, but I'd try to get CRT or CP pre-park opening (8:00-ish). Then you can walk down an almost empty Main Street on your first day and then be in the park when it opens.

November 11th: I've not done H&V but have read bad reviews. Maybe get a quick breakfast and then Mama Melrose lunch package but move Sci-Fi to later? Both of those are good options! I think Sci-fi is so much fun and unique!

November 12th: I just saw that you have this day set up like my suggestion for the 10th so looks good! But if you want your first day to be pre-park opening experience for that first day "WOW" you can move Ohana to this day.

November 13th: I'd do TH and then dinner at Sanaa or Jiko. That's a lot to do all three in one day.

November 14th: Unless you want to go to MK again you could do Boma for breakfast at AKL or an early lunch at Sanaa and do Jiko the night before? Or you can do an early Chef Mickey's and a late Sanaa lunch, if you have time.

Of course, it could be hard to change a lot of these ADRs...a lot of these seem to be gone already for early and mid-November. Although I'm hopeful a lot will open up by November (hopefully)!!!

Our family did the Deluxe DP three times so far. We have hearty appetites and we found three meals at WDW too much food. And also time consuming. We find that doing early character breakfasts and Signature dining for dinner. We use our snacks during they day if needed, but found that we weren't hungry. Maybe this is something you can consider.

My sister and i wanted deluxe plan for our fist trip together but switch for the regular plan and with snacks (we share) we are full all day long and we are big eaters. I can't finish My Plate in several restaurants. We think after this it was crazy to go with deluxe! i had Ziploc bags and we do breakfast with Ohana bread and eat Be our guest pastry in afternoon lol!

We use the DlxDP every trip but rarely do 3 meals a day. We'll use our extra credits towards "signature meals" or dining shows (Hoop Dee Do, Spirit of Aloha, etc.). We'll grab a snack/something light for breakfast (beignets from POFQ are a great way to start the day). Lunch is usually around 11:30 AM or noon and then dinner is around 7 pm or 8 pm. We do Cali Grill at around 8:30 pm so we can see Wishes (or the holiday fireworks) from atop the Contemporary.

We also use our snack points through out the trip on some fresh fruit or ice cream between meals as an energy booster.

I think that the DxDP is actually a good choice for you. We found with our 2 (almost 3) y/o that having that slow pace and having breaks for long meals was a good way to not overwhelm her. My DH's favorite experience is the food, and we actually usually only had 2 meals a day, because we used it on signatures and shows. Is your DD going to be considered a 2 y/o (She should!)? If so, another benefit is that while it is a lot of food, it's plenty to feed your little one as well, which older toddlers sometimes can put some food away! I think you have some good choices. You don't need CRT twice. Don't do Chef Mickeys for dinner :sick:

You're going to have a magical time. Your 3 y/o is truly going to have the time of her life!:thumbsup2

Here are some rules I follow when doing the DxDP:

1. Never try to do 3 TS meals in one day. Even once. Just too much food and takes too much time.

2. Don't waste DxDP meal credits on CS meals. Try to plan so that you can use all of your meal credits on TS meals.

3. Focus on quality over quantity (trust me, you'll still get quantity). Along those lines, signature dinners are your friend. Load up on these. Especially resort signatures, which are better than park signatures (most notably CRT, which is not remotely close to signature quality as far as food and service).

4. If eating a table service lunch and dinner on the same day, space them apart by at least 6 hours. And neither of these meals should be buffets (lunch buffets, in general, should be avoided on the DxDP and dinner buffets should only be considered when the other table service meal of the day is breakfast).

5. Even though the dollar value per credit may be lower, err on using credits for breakfasts at least as often as you use them for lunches, especially if traveling with small children. On the DxDP with small children, character breakfasts, in particular, are your friend (either pre-park opening or as a late breakfast/brunch). Character lunches and dinners, in contrast, should generally be avoided.

6. If doing CRT, go for breakfast and not lunch or dinner. While it's not quite as much dollar value use of credits, you'll have better overall dining (along those lines, there are many one credit restaurants I'd prefer for dinner over CRT and, moreover, a pre-park opening breakfast at CRT is a magical experience).

7. If traveling with small children and you're concerned about too many signature dinners, consider a dinner show (HDDR is my top recommendation). Doing CRT for breakfast also frees you up for a non-signature dinner, as does HBD or Le Cellier for lunch.

8. Another way to use more credits without as many signature dinners is to have two meals on your arrival and/or departure days (by arriving early on your arrival day and/or leaving late on your departure day). Remember, you have until midnight of your departure day to use your credits.

9. If having a table service lunch and dinner on the same day, consider using snack credits for breakfast items.

10. Generally resist the temptation to use snack credits for heavier snack items. Or to use snack credits too close to dinner.

First of all don't let anyone discourage you from the too many sit down meals comment. We have been to disney 2 years in a row and have always done the deluxe plan. We find that the sit down meals give us a bit of a break from the parks. We always go in April so its usually in the 80s and 90s so sitting down to air condition is just a plus, lol. That being said...

We stayed at the Contemporary in 2014 and LOVED it. We would of stayed there again this year but actually got a better deal at The Grand Floridian so who in their right mind would pass that up, lol. When we stayed at The Contemporary we also did Chef Mickey's on arrival day for dinner. Honestly we were not impressed. The food at Chef Mickey's dinner is really not what you would expect it to be. We never ate at California Grill, but have heard that its excellant but remember if you are using the Dining Plan California Grill is 2 credits. The Contemporary also has the Wave (again never ate there but heard its a diamond in the rough sort of place). I will also recommend The Contempo Cafe. Its right next to Chef Mickey's and its a quick service place, but their food was always excellent when we ate there. Also CRTs Dinner was not all its cracked up to be either. Eating in the castle was awesome and the princess's were sweet, but for what you are paying (this is also a 2 credit meal) the food was just so so. Also you would be using an extra park day to go into the park. Im not sure how many park days you have. BOG Dinner was fabulous though. We absolutely loved it so if you can manage to find an ADR for that I would recommend it.

Nov 10 - Magic Kingdom
11:30a Crystal Palace (will probably cancel and do QS or snack to have more park time)

Ohana breakfast is so much fun! My kids love it, and they love the juice. Its always a must do for the kids and my hubby. A matter of fact this year I didn't have it factored into our schedule with our dining credits and such and my kids made such a big deal about it that we ended up going there and paying OOP for it. It really is a cute breakfast. Crystal Palace is 1 of our fav restaurants to eat. We always get pre park opening ADRs for it. My kids are also HUGE Tigger fans so its a must do for us. But if you want more park time I would cancel it and just eat quick service. Theres a ton of awesome quick service placed in Magic Kingdom. The Wave is good but will you be planning on going back to the park for any night time activities like the fireworks or electrical parade? If thats the case I wouldn't leave the park to go to The Wave and then have to head back bc I don't think you would make it in time. The Plaza right on main street has pretty decent food and then you will already be where you need to be for the parade and fireworks viewing.

1:30p Mama Melrose Fantasmic dining package (if Brown Derby opens up I will change restaurants). Also trying to get a later time. Nothing else available now.
4:00p Sci Fi theater - (will probably cancel and do QS or snack prior to Fantasmic)

Hollywood and Vine is a ton of fun. The characters are great and they have these Dance Party activities. My toddler didn't like the characters but I couldn't get him off the dance floor, lol. Mama Melrose is good, nothing to rav about for me. The thing that was great was the seating you got for fantasmic thats really the best part about eating at MM. If Brown Derby does open up I would suggest going there but I also think that Brown Derby is a 2 credit restaurant so keep that in mind if it does happen to open up. Sci Fi Dine In had to be the COOLEST place we ate our entire trip. The theming was awesome my kids loved the HUGE movie screen with silly monster shows playing and the food was pretty decent. My husband even raved about it and he never raves about any particular place, lol.

Nov 12 - Magic Kingdom
12p Cinderella's Table (this will probably be cancelled since we have on 11/14 a.m.)
7p 1900 Park Fare

Again we love Crystal Palace and their Puffy French Toast stuff for breakfast is awesome! Crystal Palace is always a must do for us. If you have breakfast scheduled for CRT I would cancel CRT for this day and maybe either do quick service lunch or Liberty Bell Tavern has really good lunch food. 1900 Park Fare is 1 of the best character dining we've ever had. The characters are incredibly funny and always in character and the food is good too for a buffet that is. 1900 Park Fare is another place thats on our must do list, lol

Nov 13 - Animal Kingdom
8:10a Tusker House - spending morning in park until extended family arrives
1:15p Sanaa (AK lodge with bro, SIL & their baby)
6p Jiko (AK lodge with bro, SIL & their baby) - trying to get a later time

We went to Tusker House for lunch and lunch had incredible food. I'm sure breakfast is just the same. The only thing that sticks out in my mind here is are you planing on only doing AK for 1/2 a day or are you going to go back after Sanaa? If you are only planning on going 1/2 a day it looks good. I'm not the type of person that likes to leave the park midday for lunch and then go back again unless we are in Magic Kingdom and going to 1 of the Monorail Resorts. I just think the less I have to deal with disney transportation the better, lol. We've never eaten at Sanaa or Jiko but have hear great things from both places.

Nov 14 - Departure day

Are you just going into Magic Kingdom for CRT? What time are you departing from Disney? Depending on the time frame you might want to just do breakfast at AKL at Boma or something. I know you really want CRT but you do have it scheduled for another day. That will give you more time with your family to hang out at AKL. Whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a magical time!

Just a note about my experience with the DxDDP: I will echo what others said - 3 TS meals in a day is more than you realize. I'm not a light eater, either, and I always eat 3 meals at home. I didn't believe people who said it was too much before my DxDDP trip because we are all big eaters. Also, for order-off-the-menu lunches and dinners, you are getting an appetizer and dessert for each person - that is probably more than you normally order at a restaurant at home (we order 1 appetizer for the table normally).

However, I am hungrier in cold weather than in hot, so you might be able to do 3 in November whereas there is no way I could have last week in May.

Where you can, separate the meals as much as possible. I really like breakfast and dinner combinations the best - I usually don't even feel like much lunch after a huge breakfast. I end up eating a snack for lunch.

Another thing about the DxDP that is really fun is doing a different signature dinner in a different deluxe resort every night. Exploring the resorts (and sitting in the lobbies, etc.) can be almost as fun as the meal (some of the lobbies, particularly Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge, are absolutely stunning).

On our first DxDP trip, we had the following dinner rotation:

'Ohana at the Polynesian
Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge
Citricos at Grand Floridian
Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Flying Fish at Boardwalk
Cali Grill at the Contemporary

It was awesome!

You could also substitute HDDR at Fort Wilderness for one of those if you think it's too many signature dinners. Brown Derby is another option if you're considering the Fantasmic package (I'm not as big of a fan of Brown Derby as a stand-alone restaurant as any of the above choices but, on the DxDP, it's not a bad option with the Fantasmic package).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter