Opinions on dates

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by sunshineNJ, Nov 20, 2012.

1. sunshineNJ

sunshineNJ DIS Veteran

I have a 4 night Bahamas cruise on the Dream booked for 7/28/13. My daughter has a wedding to attend and I have to change dates. I can either book earlier in July or in August. There are some dates in August that are cheaper. I know I can't know what the weather is going to be on any date but am I running a greater hurricane risk in Aug then July? Thanks:)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. momof2minnies

momof2minnies DIS Veteran

I guess it would be hard to tell, there have been storms in May and October too. It is Mother nature and she will do what she does when she likes- unfortunately. Too bad we can't be sure ,it would be nice to have a special vacation window with no bad weather.

I have my fingers crossed as well. I guess you could look up on Accuweather and check the statistics for the time of year but still a gamble I guess

Linda

4. cris0809

cris0809 Might be why the rum is always gone

You take a risk by sailing in hurricane season. We can analyze all day but that's what it comes down to. We had a fun encounter with Sandy on the Fantasy this year, very late in the season.

Just be prepared. Be flexible. Have fun anyway. We did.

5. Gatrcruzer

Gatrcruzer Mouseketeer

As someone who has lived in Florida since the early 1970's, I would say that the most active times of hurricane season in recent years have been August-October. Certainly a hurricane can come even outside of hurricane season, but in the last few decades early July has been much less likely to see activity than August. That said, you never know! If it was me and I was concerned about hurricanes I'd go with the early July date, or even earlier (June) if you are able. But just be aware that storms can still happen then. Make sure to get insurance for your own peace of mind.

6. sunshineNJ

sunshineNJ DIS Veteran

Thanks all! I have to look at dates and make a decision.

7. Summerl30

Summerl30 Mouseketeer

In my experience (I am from the caribbean and have family there still), the biggest hurricanes have hit in August and September. Not all, but I think those are usually the worst months to go to the caribbean. I have also resovled not to go after July unless for a family funeral, as it was almost impossible to find mangos in mid-august...:lmao: I personally wouldn't cruise during hurricane season, but there ARE deals to be had if you are willing to. September seems like a particularly cheap month to cruise in general. if I had to pick between july and august, i would hands down pick july.