Only my fellow DISers will understand this

This is definitely my hot button issue. I get the same thing from my parents and inlaws! For years (mid 70's) we lived in FL and were daytrippers to MK. Really enjoyed it too. But we never stayed onsite, did the shows, or went to the restaurants. Too much money I was told. Well, that was fine - loved it anyway.

Then I took my family (1996) for the first time and was a daytripper (Christmas week, mind you). Still loved it! Then - the shocker - discovered these boards - HELLO! Found out there was a whole unexplored "World of Disney" that I could never even have dreamed existed. Totally opened my eyes.

So we've stayed onsite now and I'm HOOKED. Still haven't seen or done it all and probably won't be able to. But even now, I can't get over how much MORE enjoyable WDW is when you stay onsite and eat in a few of those restaurants. Don't forget those water parks either.

I think the real problem here is not us - the Disneyphiles - but the others. They don't research or put any effort into their vacations. They expect everything to be almost FREE or conform to prices from 1978! It's so unbelievable how hostile to Disney some are. Where is their spirit of adventure? Because that's what Disney is - an adventure.

I agree, this is my 8th trip and I have gotten more and more out of it each time. I have turned DH into a disney nut!!! This is his 4th trip and we have only been married 5 years.:D I do the research and I realize that when you go with young kids, you hit what you really want to do and the rest falls by the wayside.

Marginally on-topic rant about the way some folks use the English language...

One of my pet peeves is when someone says "BLAH stinks"
or "WOOBAH is bad"
or "DIPPY DOO is no fun".
(Please substitute BLAH, WOOBAH, and DIPPY DOO with something that you enjoy.)

What they really mean is "I didn't like BLAH"
or "WOOBAH is not my cup o' joe"
or "I didn't have fun at DIPPY DOO".

It happens with Disney World, TV shows, music... anything! Why can't folks show a little consideration to others' feelings and and realize that things are not BAD or GOOD, but that appreciation differs with opinion.

That being said, anyone who doesn't enjoy Disney World is just a big goober! :jester:

Wow! This was my first rant on the DIS boards! How did I do? :crazy:

Doug

I just got back from 16 days staying at ASMovies, bldg 2, room 2947. Will be going to POP Feb 1 to 10 and AKL Feb 10 to 16 next year. Last year I was at the world twice for a total of 28 days. I never see everything: each time I get home I remember something that I forgot to do. That is part of the fun of returning to WDW every year: seeing the things I missed, doing the things I like over and over and over again. This trip I only got to do Buzz about six times: usually I will get on this adventure a minimum of eight times each and every day I am in MK. But I know that in Feb it will right there waiting for me once again.
This last trip was the first time I did not do the commando: it was just a leisurely stroll through the parks: I enjoyed WDW more than ever before, but in Feb it is back to commando for me.
I travel nearly 120 days a year, staying at hotels each and everynight. Seeing mountains, valleys, wildlife gallore: but on my holiday I only want Disney.
:earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :wave:

ribbot -

Try not to be nervous - you're going to have lots of fun just watching your DS experience all the magic for the first time! I can understand feeling overwhelmed reading all this new information at once - I'm kinda glad I discovered the DIS after I had already been to WDW because it added lots to my knowledge base instead of freaking me out, not knowing quite what to expect!

My first time in WDW with my DD was when she was 3 1/2, so I know how you feel. I would keep in mind that you can't do everything in 1 trip, so don't even try. Also, a 4-year-old will most likely love the MK more than anything else, so you may want to plan spending the majority of your time there. Allowing for rest/nap/swimming time is a good idea with a pre-schooler, to avoid meltdowns/crankiness later in the day. One or 2 character meals might delight him (and you!). My DD was a bit afraid of the characters at first, and I had feared this, so we planned the character meals for a few days into the trip - by then she was more comfortable with them and had a great time hugging and kissing them!

So many rides/attractions in the MK are geared toward little ones that if you aim for all the tried-and-true ones, you're all bound to have a great time (Pooh, Carousel, Teacups, Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World, Buzz Lightyear, TTA...).

Remember to use FastPasses instead of waiting in long lines - that way you can enjoy something else until it's time to use it. You'll all be so much happier not waiting in long lines, especially with a 4-year-old!

I hope I've helped a tiny bit - relax and don't worry...I'm sure you'll have a great time!

:sunny:

Now I'm nervous.....

My last trip to Disney was in 1990 (honeymoon) and to be honest with you all--neither one of us really liked it that much. BUT---we this was before the internet for us and we had no previous knowledge of the place. We went to WDW, Epcot and MGM and felt we saw pretty much everything there was to see. We did not stay on property.

Rib,

I'll try to explain why I love Dis so much. It's not about seeing everything, it's really about enjoying the magic of the place and taking in the atmosphere. Try to view it as a child does and little by little you will start feeling it. Walk through tomorrow land at night and look at all the lights, make like main street is really a small little town. Let it take you to that place where everything used to amaze you and then the magic will be found.

Enjoy.

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter