Online Check-In Pros vs Cons

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by jtwibih, Oct 21, 2012.

1. jtwibih

jtwibih Mouseketeer

I guess the title says it all. I've never done the online check-in but was curious what the benefits were. If there are any cons, I'll take that too. Thanks alot!!

JT

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. baldy6060

baldy6060 Mouseketeer

I did online check-in last May. They had no record of it despite the fact I printed everything out. I had to go through the usual check in process. Not a big deal but why have the option if it doesn't work. I've heard many similar complaints. It doesn't hurt to try though.

4. articfox676

articfox676 Mouseketeer

Have done on line several times at the Fort. The longest we had to wait was for the CM to run inside and pick up the packet. You should check in several days before your arrival to give time for the packet to be put together.

5. bedogged

bedogged <font color=purple>Choose parents that aged well<b

You will get different opinions, but I always do online check in. We have been staying deluxe the last few trips so I can't comment about moderate or value. When we check in, the CMs make a big deal about it. Often, we are met at the bus or in the lobby before we even get to the desk. They have our packet in hand and ask if we are the ..... family? Makes me feel like a VIP even though I'm not staying club level. We have also received an upgrade the last two visits.

6. peabody58

peabody58 I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

We've always used on-line check in and have had good results. Rooms have been very close to our requests and rooms have been available within 15 - 30 min of arrival. We like the added piece of mind that there is one less thing to deal with when arriving (and checking out).

7. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

Pros: You should get your packet right away, and get to your room quicker.

Cons: For me, I seem to get rooms that are in the farthest reaches of whatever resort I am at. And one memorable time I was even downgraded at the Music from a preferred room to a standard room. I knew something was wrong when my packet wasn't ready. And then they were not even going to tell me I was downgraded. I was lucky I knew which buildings were preferred and which were not.

I didn't do OLCI for my last trip, and I'm not doing it again when we go in December. My last trip we actually ended up up-graded! For me, another nail in the coffin of OLCI.

8. chanty

chanty DIS Veteran

How far in advance can we do the online check-in?

9. Lumiere Lover

Lumiere Lover You can sleep after we leave WDW..

You can do online check in 10 days before you are scheduled to arrive. The website won't allow you to do it any earlier.

10. chanty

chanty DIS Veteran

Awesome! Arriving in 7 days! Lets check-in!!!

Chantal

11. jtwibih

jtwibih Mouseketeer

I know that if you booked straight through Disney you can see that information on the WDW website. When I login, it's at the top of my itinerary on the Reservations page.

I've been curious about the Online Check In deal because I've heard conflicting stories about people who say they get the best rooms in terms of location etc and I've heard the exact opposite. I guess it's really a coin flip.

12. portocall

portocall <font color=royalblue>I'm gonna try the water and

We checked in online for our last trip, had a great room location that meet our one general request and had our packet immediately. We also lucked out and arrived when there was no line.

13. Cee

Cee DIS Veteran

I've done online check-in every trip since it's been offered. It has always worked beautifully. The past two years, I haven't even had to go up to the desk. I was met at the front door of the lobby(BWV/BCV), asked my name, told to relax and within minutes I had my packet/keys brought to me and was on my merry way. Wonderful. :cloud9:

14. Paula Sedley-Burke

Paula Sedley-Burke Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

We have done online check in last two years at SSR. Not going to this year the line for online check-in was longer! There was nobody in the regular line. It didnt seem to offer any benefit at all. Na will chance it this year!

15. disneychic2

disneychic2 DIS Veteran

We've also done online check in every year since it has been offered. We experienced being met at the bus when staying at WL and when staying a mods, it was a smooth transaction. We have so far, (in our many years of going) never gotten a room request granted, and I don't think online check in makes a difference since people on this thread have experienced both getting their requests and not getting their requests. For me, it is convenient and when you get off an ME bus full of people, the online check in line is usually shorter. But if it isn't just jump in the regular line since they can pull your packet as well.

16. Trollingforthimbles

Trollingforthimbles Mouseketeer

We always do it. Always quick and easy.

17. disneylooper

disneylooper Mouseketeer

The way I look at it is that online checkin is used for Disney to eliminate jobs. So I don't do it.

18. Sailorsgirl

Sailorsgirl Earning My Ears

what if a castmember (DD) made the reservations? can they do an on-line check in and upon our arrival we would get our package or do we have to wait for for her to check us in once we arrive